How do you feel about Fire Emblem Fates 7 years later?

PostZordem

So it's been 7 years since the Fire Emblem Fates games first came out and I was wondering how the people of Serenes Forest feel about the Fates games: Birthright, Conquest, and Revelation 7 (or 6 if you're going off of the international release) years later. I've recently finished Birthright for the second time and am currently on a 2nd Conquest playthrough (never finished my first run) and I can say that I'm having a good amount of fun with both games. Haven't played Revelation, though I probably should get it before the 3DS Nintendo eShop closes down next year.

From what I remember seeing on the internet in regards to Fates, the Fates games are generally regarded as one of the weakest entries in the entire Fire Emblem series due to the story, Corrin in general, and gameplay (barring Conquest) among other things. I personally think that Birthright and Conquest are pretty fun Fire Emblem games and would rank them on the higher end of my Fire Emblem Hot Take list. My personal gripes with Fates are the unbreakable weapons (yet the staves/rods are breakable), Avatar-only support characters (not a problem exclusive to Fates, but one I dislike no matter which game it shows up in), and the inability to save in the Endgame chapter. As for the positives (prepare yourselves for a few unpopular opinions), I like Birthright's story and find Conquest's story to be... serviceable despite its flaws. I like how the child generation mechanic was done for this game and like most of the child (and parent) units. I like Corrin as both a unit and character along with the Hoshido + Nohr Royals. I also like the Hoshido (Light) vs Nohr (Dark) dynamic + the route split.

Personally, I'd say Birthright's my favorite Fates game because I like the Hoshido cast more, like BR's story more, and prefer the overall experience over Conquest (plus, who doesn't love all of that extra EXP?). But that's just my opinion in relation to the Fates games. How do you feel about Fire Emblem Fates in 2022? Is it a trio of games that you aren't particularly fond of? Or are you also a fan of Fire Emblem Fates?

Edit: I've made an Awakening Retrospective if you'd like to discuss your opinion on the game 10 years after its initial release back in 2012. Here's a link: How do you feel about Fire Emblem Awakening 10 years later?

Edited by CyberZord

i've played all 3 Fatesland games and never touched them anymore after that: i think this pretty much says it all

i actually thought about playing them one more time with more mature eyes and mentality, but i just can't bring myself to do it, mostly because i have other stuff i'm interested in (manga and videogame backlogs)

Edited by Yexin

I replay them reasonably often (well, not Revelation). Conquest has the best gameplay in the series (which is extremely high praise since i adore this series's gameplay), Birthright is kinda the fast food version of it (which suits my mood sometimes if I want something breezier; the core gameplay is still good, just the map design is much simpler). The story is pretty bad, but I think plenty of other FE stories are pretty bad or even worse in some cases, so eh. (In particular, no FE released between 2007 and 2019 has what I'd consider a good story.) I do like some of the characters, and the music. So overall, my opinion of the games is very positive.

the Fates games are generally regarded as one of the weakest entries in the entire Fire Emblem series due to the story, Corrin in general, and gameplay (barring Conquest) among other things

For what it's worth, if you look at any actual aggregate measures, this isn't actually true. Fates did and does consistently well in terms of review scores, various polls, Choose Your Legends results, AO3 presence, etc. It obviously struck a nerve with its detractors, but I wouldn't generalize that to the playerbase as a whole.

Edited by Dark Holy Elf

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

a story that's the absolute lowpoint of the franchise

I diasagree. I'd rather have Fates's story over Binding Blade's any day of the week. Sure, Fates may have dropped the ball story wise, but it at least it didn't flagrantly copy and paste a prior game's story while also making it worse than the game whose story it ripped off..

Anyways, I find Fates to have a lot of replayability, likable characters, and a great soundtrack.. The only real gripe I have about it is My Castle having a reliance on online to get the most out of some of its features. Well, that, and the fact that some classes were poorly thought out to the point that it'd be better for them to just not exist.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Largely the same way I felt about it when it released and I finally played it. It has a lot of really interesting ideas, but it fails to really utilize them well.

Gameplay has a lot of neat ideas like shuriken/throwing knives being debuff weapons, but the many gameplay ideas that the game juggles don't really go together well; the gameplay honestly comes across as if the developers had the mentality of throwing everything at the wall to see what would stick, rather than coming up with gameplay that works well together.

The story is a mess that is full of writing issues. Easily the worst Fire Emblem plots I've seen so far. It's as if they just wrote one semi-coherent first draft and never went back to redraft or proofread it. I don't want to blame the writers; they were basically told to write three games' worth of story in the time usually given to write one game's worth of story.

Normally, with an FE game, even if the story isn't that good, at least the characters are generally interesting, and this is perhaps the place where Fates is at its weakest. The vast majority characters are one-note and completely lacking in any depth whatsoever, and those that do have depth are usually reduced to plot devices. One example of this is Corrin, who one could say is proof that making the custom character the protagonist is a bad idea, but Corrin is basically a fixed character as far as the story is concerned, and they still made Corrin uninteresting. They failed to find the interesting protagonist in a half-human half-dragon hybrid that was born to one royal family, raised by another, and is forced to see the two kingdoms go to war with each other.

Conquest is the greatest game in the entire franchise. Everything great about it is amazing, and everything terrible about it is hilarious, at least in hindsight.

At the time, the terrible story deeply emotionally hurt me. But any hate I once had for the story has been pretty thoroughly burned out of me due to overexposure, leaving behind nothing but a giant walking joke that never gets old.

Mechanically, it's one of the high points of the series, especially Conquest. Basically every system that helped made Awakening so successful is here, and most are straight-up improvements -- reclassing especially is a lot more interesting here than it was in Awakening imo. It also introduced other ideas like Dragon Veins and the debuff versions of shuriken/daggers that I hope stick around in some way going forward. 

What makes the story more interesting in hindsight is the Three Houses comparison. Both lean into route splits much more than any of the previous games and yet they go about it in vastly different ways: Fates has multiple versions that you have to buy separately, while Three Houses has them all in one cartridge; the choices of Fates are imo much less compelling than Three Houses (particularly with the Silver Snow/Crimson Flower split) but the actual act of making the choice is better contextualized, etc. If IS wants to keep making FE route splits -- not something I necessarily think would be good but that's besides the point -- they'd do well to figure out what worked and didn't work about both approaches. 

I played each of them when they came out, but never again. In the years since I have been caught totally misremembering plot elements and characters from Birthright, prompting me to pull out my 3DS and confirm that I do indeed have a final chapter save file for that game. I have no memories of this playthrough, and this is shocking to me because I have excellent recall of the ~1000 games I have played. Occasionally you hear somebody say Conquest has the best gameplay, and I scratch my head every time. Because even if you think Chapter 10 is a difficult and dynamic defense chapter, it doesn't delete all the other bullshit that comes after. The kitsune chapter, the wind village, The ryoma will curb his anger for 20 turns chapter. Also none of my units S supported, so I probably avoided even worse maps by virtue of that. I'm replaying Three Houses right now and I feel like the only map that compares to any of them is maybe the Felix Paralogue - and specifically on Maddening because they forgot to increase Rodrigue's stats so he causes a game over until you warp skip over to the boss. I'll take open field maps and enemies with consistent skill loadouts for each class over these gimmick tiles any day.

I think what bugged me most about Fates, especially as it came out is the pricing model. I knew several real life friends that got into the series with Awakening, but bailed on this next entry because of the Pokemon thing. What is the point of ALL of the marketing and playing the role of Corrin if you can't make the Big Choice yourself? Every mid 2010s meme about publishers like EA or Capcom carving out parts of their game to sell back as DLC is suddenly validated by Fates. Only people with the collector's edition got that promised experience. To get all of Fates, you need to pony up twice the cash that you would any other 3DS game. Somehow Revelations always seems to evade accusations of True Ending DLC, yet the internet magically remembers this one and only one detail about Asura's Wrath, a game that does have a definitive ending, but didn't sell well enough for a sequel, so they took their best ideas for a sequel and made it into a DLC. Fates defenders claim that all routes are "equally valid" but that's just your opinion, man. I certainly didn't spend the same money on all three routes, and only one of them lets me play with all the characters and classes.

The only nice thing I'll say about Fates is that the multiplayer possibilities are pretty cool. Not the base defense/offense stuff, but the sharing of avatar units. If Fates released at a time where there were more than two Fire emblem youtubers/streamers, or on a system that is as simple as the switch TO stream, this would be one of the biggest online games Nintendo ever published.  Being able to use your real life friends as units in Fire Emblem is brilliant and is a top tier suggestion for any future entry. Expand on it with the feature to write your own support chain (not voice acted but who cares, people will love it) and build your own recruitment chapter.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

Long story short, I don't care for it. The narrative, characters, and world-building all left me completely cold. And while I can respect a lot of what they were trying for with the game mechanics and understand why others like them, they absolutely did not work for me. Plus myriad other minor annoyances with the UI, My Castle, the graphics... just lots of stuff that I didn't care for.

Which isn't to say that I hated everything. There are a good few parts of Fates that I did like. Kinshi Knights, 1-2 range healing, the aesthetic of the theatre level, a lot of the music, and so on.

Overall, I would characterise it as a deeply flawed game, but one that is full of ideas. But ultimately, not for me.

I love it. Some of the best gameplay in the series, the "put generics in your army" capture mechanic that I've cherished since my first Conquest run (my Revelation run was generics only, even!), a glorious soundtrack, an underrated amount of worldbuilding in the aesthetics, classes and weapons from both factions (no other game in the series has such well diferentiated nations, everyone just looks the same for the most part) and a completely awful story and cast of characters. Yes, I call that an upside. No game in the series has made me laugh as hard and as consistently as Fates. Everything in that game is bad and terrible and morally bankrupt and I love it. Garon might just be the funniest character in all of FE.

22 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes, I call that an upside. No game in the series has made me laugh as hard and as consistently as Fates. Everything in that game is bad and terrible and morally bankrupt and I love it. Garon might just be the funniest character in all of FE.

I've said this elsewhere, but I genuinely wish there were a cybernetic implant that let you turn sobriety on and off like a lightswitch. I would love to play through Conquest and experience all of the gameplay sober and all of the story drunk.

14 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I've said this elsewhere, but I genuinely wish there were a cybernetic implant that let you turn sobriety on and off like a lightswitch. I would love to play through Conquest and experience all of the gameplay sober and all of the story drunk.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I have the ability to not need to be drunk to view Fates as a brilliant comedy. I got some big laughs out of the Elise x Siegfried scene in Birthright, and I didn't have a drop of alcohol in me!

"Ryoma will wait patiently for 25 turns before attacking," is the funniest thing in any game I've ever played, so I must thank fates for that. I think the games are playable, but there's certainly no need to play all three. Obviously the story has tons of problems, which is unfortunate, because it had a lot of potential to say something about the nature of family (with regards to family you choose to have vs family you are biologically related to). The game self sabatoges itself at every possible opportunity in order to make the game more lecherous. The axis that the game spins around is Corrin's relationships with their siblings, those that they grew up with and those that they are allegedly biologically related to, which could have been an interesting conflict had the game not instantly retconned this so that you can S support all of your siblings. The family dynamics could have been so much more interesting than they are.

For the Norian family, I for the most part like their writing and think that they read as a group of siblings more-so than the Hoshidans do, mostly because they're messier. They tease each other. Xander is an interesting character who could have been made more interesting, his central conflict is not just about feeling the burden of being the crown prince, but also about seeing your father, who you still cling to desperately as your father and king, continously abuse your siblings in front of you. Xander and Camilla both present themselves as these protective figures who want to take care of Leo, Corrin, and Elise, and shield them from the alluded to and presented cruelty within Nohr, both in the courts (as is constantly alluded to and discussed wtih Azura's backstory), and at the hands of their uncaring King/Father. I honestly think Xander and Camilla should have been challenged more about this congnative dissonance that they both display (although Xander moreso). You want to be a prince that protects your family and your kingdom, yet you constantly fail to care for your sibling who faces the brunt of abuse from your father. Sometimes, especially in conquest, it feels like the siblings fight to protect eachother and be a real family in spite of their father and nation's cruelty, which could have been beautiful had the game actually committed to portraying these characters more realistically given the situation they've been placed in. Instead they bent over backwards to make Camilla super creepy and make Elise look and act as young as they possibly could while still making it possible to S support her.

I have less to say about the Hoshidan family because only Hinoka and Takumi feel like actually fleshed out characters to me. Ryoma is just the standard samurai-type character and Sakura is just the standard shy-girl trope. Takumi is the only one who I feel reacts to Corrin's reintroduction to their life even somewhat logically or realstically, and I think Hinoka comes the closest to being a character genuinely impacted by the kidnapping of her younger sibling. That's a traumatizing event to go through, especially as a kid. Fates constantly sets up these intensly emotional storybeats such as losing a sibling or having an abusive father and then refuses to flesh it out at all, because why would you want your game about family to be about family? Additionally, I feel that IS wants to write stories where there is no clear good guy or  bad guy, and they attempt to do so but end up falling back into a simplier story line each time. Playing as the badguys is fun, consciously choosing to do the wrong thing can be fun in videogames because there's no real consequences. I think the Hoshido/Nohr conflict forshadows Three Houses in that there's the idea that you could pick one side because you think they make a better argument or because you think there's better people on that side, but ultimately they do design one group to be goodguys and one to be badguys. Nohr is objectively in the wrong, but the game still wants to pretend the conflict is more complicated than that. Hoshido is obviously intended to be the "correct"/heroic choice, but it's by far the blander story.

I'm still playing through revelations as I write this so it's not a complete review, but these are some of my thoughts.

Hey just throwing it out there. Where are the threads for How do you Feel about Awakening Ten Years Later? Or any of the three 2017 games 5 years later? Or Binding Blade 20 years later. Do people have opinions on those too, or is it just Fates? I wanna hear stories about those first playthroughs. And stories about curiosity-fueled revisits. Name the thread "How do you feel about Fire Emblem ______ in 2022?"

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

43 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Hey just throwing it out there. Where are the threads for How do you Feel about Awakening Ten Years Later? Or any of the three 2017 games 5 years later? Or Binding Blade 20 years later. Do people have opinions on those too, or is it just Fates? I wanna hear stories about those first playthroughs. And stories about curiosity-fueled revisits. Name the thread "How do you feel about Fire Emblem ______ in 2022?"

People are probably wanting to discuss Fates since it's the previous FE game. It's the Zelda Cycle: now that the new game has been released for a while and people have had the chance to talk about it, now people want to see if thoughts on the previous game have changed.

Gameplay is pretty top-notch, if not rather imbalanced, since some characters just straight up render others useless.

Dragon Vein are extremely under-utilised and could have been something fun, and some of the maps' gimmicks are just awful and annoying to deal with. Music is very good.

Character, writing, and story falls flat on its face, and is some of the laziest, most nonsensical writing I have seen in games, probably one of the worst written stories of all time, up there with Golden Sun for me.

21 hours ago, CyberZord said:

From what I remember seeing on the internet in regards to Fates, the Fates games are generally regarded as one of the weakest entries in the entire Fire Emblem series due to the story, Corrin in general, and gameplay (barring Conquest) among other things.

I'm not a hardcore Fire Emblem player, because I don't do things hardcore-like. However, I lean more towards the elitist side than the casual one, and I definitely like Fates. I also have a friend who is a much more casual fan, and he seemed to like the games too, though not as much as Awakening.

12 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I'd rather have Fates's story over Binding Blade's any day of the week. Sure, Fates may have dropped the ball story wise, but it at least it didn't flagrantly copy and paste a prior game's story while also making it worse than the game whose story it ripped off..

I actually agree with the first statement here. Binding Blade may have the best plot in the series, but if play Fire Emblem to unironically enjoy the plot, you're off your rocker.

Anyway. Fates.

It's a great collection of games. The mechanics are beautiful. They managed to take the busted pair-up mechanic from Awakening and turn it into something useful and balanced. Dual Strikes make units with high attack power and low speed a lot more useful, while also making it a lot faster to train underleveled units and weapon rank. Stat debuffs, after-battle damage and lunge prevent you from thoughtlessly sending a single super-unit with a support partner to handle everything (at least in Conquest). This stops the game from being totally thoughtless while still giving you many powerful options.

The reclassing mechanic is flexible and lets every playthrough be unique, even if you use many of the same characters. Shurikens and the expanded weapon triangle are fantastic additions, they make gauntlets look like gameplay fanfiction. Generally speaking, I assume people who don't like the gameplay in Fates like Path of Radiance, which should say enough.

Some people criticize the story, but this is a video game. Fates has moderate-quality memes and is occasionally funny, so it's actually better in practice than most video game plots. The cast isn't great, but it's at least colorful and diverse and the units all function well as units. It also has Arthur, who is a good lad. He's an unironically better character than Kieran. I think Shura is just an unironically good character.

11 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Occasionally you hear somebody say Conquest has the best gameplay, and I scratch my head every time. Because even if you think Chapter 10 is a difficult and dynamic defense chapter, it doesn't delete all the other bullshit that comes after. The kitsune chapter, the wind village, The ryoma will curb his anger for 20 turns chapter.

"The game does not softlock you in Chapter 25 if you didn't train Corrin, 0/10"

I kid somewhat, but I actually enjoy many of the bullshit maps. Sometimes, people say bullshit to mean bullshit. Other times, they say it to mean a map where you are given an explicit condition or consideration which requires careful use of your resources to handle.

11 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

I think what bugged me most about Fates, especially as it came out is the pricing model.

Revelation is pseudo-true ending DLC, but Birthright and Conquest are whole games on their own. Revelation re-uses, what, six chapters after Chapter 6? Birthright and Conquest also share six maps between them after Chapter 6 (I know that's after the route split, but they're all the same map). However, they're usually much earlier in one than the other, so they end up playing very differently.

Now, my math may be wrong, as may my counting, but Three Houses has 36 unique maps, while this would give Fates 60 unique maps. At $80 dollars retail price for all three routes, Fates is $1.33 per map, while Three Houses is $60 retail price for a price-per-map of $1.67. I am very annoyed because both of these numbers are multiples of one-third, which I elected to round to the nearest cent.

5 hours ago, Djunna said:

The game self sabatoges itself at every possible opportunity in order to make the game more lecherous. The axis that the game spins around is Corrin's relationships with their siblings, those that they grew up with and those that they are allegedly biologically related to, which could have been an interesting conflict had the game not instantly retconned this so that you can S support all of your siblings. The family dynamics could have been so much more interesting than they are.

This is something I totally agree with. The gameplay of Fates is fun, but the game is "morally bankrupt" as Ruben put it. Conquest is, fittingly, the most extreme example of both. I don't even think there's a lot of interesting gameplay stuff for S-supporting the royals (I think the LTC marries Corrin to Camilla, but that's for pair-up bonuses or something), so it probably could have been scrapped without too much loss, but, well, we know why that couldn't happen.

I think (which means don't quote me on this) the mangaka they hired to help with the story wrote an extensive first draft, but wasn't involved with anything after that and most of his ideas were cut or heavily altered. I assume that first draft, which was supposed to be full of family drama and the like, is where all the unironically good ideas came from, but you can never be too sure. Intelligent Systems is so stupid that occasionally revert back to brilliance.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

On 7/17/2022 at 4:02 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I have the ability to not need to be drunk to view Fates as a brilliant comedy. I got some big laughs out of the Elise x Siegfried scene in Birthright, and I didn't have a drop of alcohol in me!

I don't need to be drunk either, but something tells me being drunk and with friends would make it soooooo much more fun.

Conquest has the best gameplay in the franchise, and earns a place in my top 3 FE games because of that, but it has a lot of flaws. Birthright is the blandest of the three, and thus the worst of them. Revelation is a game that is garbage when played normally, but a lot of fun if you play it as some kind of challenge run. I think I will expand on this overview a fair bit, and start with the story problems. Fates as a whole setup its big choice effectively, and made it compelling (storywise at least, as there is something to the said for the monetization complaint), and then the games spend a lot of its time actively ruining what made that choice interesting. The way Conquest and Revelation (but notably not Birthright) insist on Corrin's army isn't killing people is asinine, and kinda unnecessary. Almost everything to do with Valla is awful, many people point to the Valla trip in Conquest as the point of no return for the crappulance of its story, and in Revelations, its when we get to Valla with all the siblings that the story they built rides right off a cliff. There is also the world building issue that they never give you a sense of where the borders of any of these nations lie, which is a massive problem in a game that is about a war. Gameplaywise, the balancing of Attack stance and Guard stance leads to an interesting decisions at every turn, and clever use of skills make for rather interesting choices. Conquest hit things best with its level design, and willingness to spice things up with a different objective, or gimmick every now and then. Birthright placed it very safe in that department, with almost entirely boss kill and rout maps, and even waited exceedingly far into the game to bother with skills even. Revelation is all over the place, with unites seemingly randomly joining at nonsensical levels, and so reliant on gimmicks that you never know what to expect map to map, making everything it does a mixed bag...

6 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

As Etrurian Emperor put it, Fates is a

15 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

game of highs and lows.

which leads to very interesting, and polarizing opinions, as personal preference for how valuable those highs, and lows are will greatly swing people's opinions of that game. Although who knows, if you think it will produce interesting response to ask about the others, you could always create the threads yourself.

As for the example questions, for funsies I can answer them here.

7 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

How do you Feel about Awakening Ten Years Later?

I find the gameplay utterly unmemorable, and I find the story fails utterly in its ending. Honestly I am baffled by how utterly forgettable I find the gameplay (and yes, I know the mechanics of the game, that isn't what I am talking about), I could not tell you what any of the maps were like, or what units were like to use, and its the only Fire Emblem where I feel that way about, and I feel I gave it the fairest shake I could. I even started a challenge run screen-shot LP in an attempt to create something memorable about the gameplay, and I still feel that way about Awakening. As for the story, one of the most memorable things about it was how much the story (barring the ending) was building towards a story about the futility of trying to change the past, even to the point of alienating numerous players with explicit choices which emphasize your lack of choice. They were building a greek tragedy, and then bailed out because they weren't willing to give us the tragic end they were building towards.

Or any of the three 2017 games 5 years later?

Both Heroes and Warriors share a notable feature, that they cemented for me that the genre they were a part of wasn't for me. Warriors fairly quickly cemented for me that Musou games were never going to be something I am interested in.

Heroes was a bit more tragic, as there were a lot of things I loved about that game, and even played it for years, but eventually the cancerousness of Gatcha, got to me. I can't play it anymore, and I think it had a negative impact on my life, despite the things that I loved about it.

Echoes I am fairly positive towards. I think a lot of complaints about the story come from it call upon older ideas that have been a bit forgotten in the modern age, like the religious power of martyrdom, and the unwitting murder of a family member being the greatest of tragedies (I am fairly certain this is some variation of a quote about greek tragedies, but I can never remember who said it). Gameplaywise, I kinda appreciate the way it willing to keep the weird older designs of Gaiden, and add some other oddities that fit in too (like the more modern dungeon exploration). Also making the things that kinda annoyed me into a drinking game, did improve the game a fair bit.

Or Binding Blade 20 years later.

Storywise it is rather dull, as it is the most generic of Fire Emblem stories, but there are some interesting things hiding it, like the most compelling representation of religion in Fire Emblem hiding in the supports. It is also kinda funny to have seen the translation of this game change over the years, as when I first played it, it was The Sword of Seals, and now The Binding Blade has taken precedent. I am kinda tempted to do some sorta comparison run for differing translations, but I have too much on my plate to start that now. Gameplaywise, I thinks its one of the more interesting games to ironman, and fairly fun to replay.

On 7/17/2022 at 3:56 PM, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Just posted an Awakening topic now in relation to the subject. Thanks for recommending the idea. I'm also interested to hear people's opinions on Awakening after all these years. I don't go into the specifics of my first playthrough (but I can go into some detail if you do ask on that thread since I've beaten Awakening rather recently), but I do list particular things I liked about the game and give my general opinion on Awakening.

21 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Although who knows, if you think it will produce interesting response to ask about the others, you could always create the threads yourself.

I am 3 Deeprealms ahead of the Forest on that front. But on a more serious note, you can just copy and past your thoughts (regarding Fire Emblem Awakening) into the Awakening thread I created if you'd like so that you don't have to type that out again.

On 7/18/2022 at 5:02 PM, Alastor15243 said:

I don't need to be drunk either, but something tells me being drunk and with friends would make it soooooo much more fun.

Someone needs to make this Drunk Conquest Playthrough W/Friends thing a reality. I'd love to watch that transpire (including fandubs of the characters, too). 

On 7/18/2022 at 12:15 PM, Imuabicus said:

CQ ruined all other FE for me.

BR kinda meh.

Rev is kinda whacky packaged in a neat sandbox.

Conquest was that good, eh? Well, I'm glad you're a big fan of the game. I assume that the gameplay played a huge part in that for you.

Could you go into a bit more detail over why you feel that way about Birthright? I'm curious as to the specifics if you don't mind me asking.

I haven't played Revelations, though I usually hear people say that it's the "middle game" of the three. 

13 hours ago, CyberZord said:

I assume that the gameplay played a huge part

the only part that matters. Story is irrelevant.

Could you go into a bit more detail over why you feel that way about Birthright? I'm curious as to the specifics if you don't mind me asking.

What use are cool mechanics, when the maps to use them on aren´t as good? Which is to say BR´s map design is firmly uninteresting. And maybe the units a bit too frail for my tastes.

I haven't played Revelations, though I usually hear people say that it's the "middle game" of the three.

All the skills. All the units. EZ map for grinding. Sandbox achieved. 

Birthright for me peaks at about Chapter 15, then has a huuuuuuuuuuuge uneventful slog where the game has weirdly underleveled enemies that don't let you gain skills as quick as you can in CQ without exploiting the child paralogues. It was going great for a while but then just kinda ran out of ideas for what to put in the middle and just did dumb weird shit I really don't find fun.