Vulnerary: Imbibe or Apply?

Djunna

I love seeing how different people interpret the usage of vulneraries/concoctions/various healing liquids. In some people's works I see them having the characters drink vulneraries while others have them applied to wounds. What's your interpretation? Is there anything in the games you consider to be concrete evidence of the consumption of vulneraries? Do you think it differs per game?

I'm not even sure the game itself knows sometimes. Just from the name, I'd assume it to be some sort of dressing for a wound. But then some games have flavour text referring to medicine or potion, which don't entirely preclude it being a dressing, but are somewhat odd choices of words if that's the intent. And then there's also the icons used across different games, some of which look like they're supposed to be applied topically, while others look more like they're supposed to be drunk.

For instance, in Tellius, vulneraries and elixirs have very different icons, which would make me think that vulneraries are applied and elixirs are imbibed. Yet, in their (English) flavour text, both mention "consumed", which would make me think that both are taken orally. And then in Three Houses, both items have the same icon which looks more like it should be drunk, but both have descriptions saying they should be "used".

If I had to come down one way or another, I'd say that they're applied. But I don't really think the games are consistent enough to make a meaningful judgement.

They crumple them a let the soothing power of ASMR heal their soul.

To make things more confusing, the Apothecary class in Fates as learns two skills related to healing items, Potent Potion and Quick Salve. One would think this suggests both are true with vulneraries being applied and Elixers being drunk, but potent potions increaseshealing effects which is useless as Elixers restore all HP. So...maybe vilneraries are drunk and elixers are applied?

If only these items appeared in Shadows of Valentia, the game that identifies what you do to an item. Alas we only get a million oranges instead.

Edited by Jotari

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

They crumple them a let the soothing power of ASMR heal their soul.

To make things more confusing, the Apothecary class in Fates as learns two skills related to healing items, Potent Potion and Quick Salve. One would think this suggests both are true with vulneraries being applied and Elixers being drunk, but potent potions increaseshealing effects which is useless as Elixers restore all HP. So...maybe vilneraries are drunk and elixers are applied?

If only these items appeared in Shadows of Valentia, the game that identifies what you do to an item. Alas we only get a million oranges instead.

This next orange will FIX me.

3 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

1 barrel to take a quick dip in. Also works against overheating.

You're a genius. The next unit that takes damage is getting dragged to the Dragonball style healing vat.

I always figured that vulneraries, concoctions and elixirs were imbibed since the icon for those healing items made it look like they were meant to be consumed. 

On 7/18/2022 at 3:56 PM, Djunna said:

You're a genius. The next unit that takes damage is getting dragged to the Dragonball style healing vat.

I like to think that there's just a huge healing vat in the middle of the battlefield and whoever's got the lowest HP at the time gets yeeted into the vat until the healing juice kicks in and they're in peak condition again. The enemy won't be able to use it since the fine print says it's for "The Player's Units Only" and they have to honor the code. Now this is something we need in the next mainline FE.

Edited by CyberZord