Your mission - reboot old franchises as new genres

13 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Although I believe they didn't end up having 108 recruitable characters. Yeah, kind of the one thing that makes Suikoden identifiably Suikoden. Narratively it takes place in the world of Suikoden 4, for the most part after that game's events.

no 108 char? then its not suikoden for me. 😏

13 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Mega Man X Command Mission is a 3D RPG. Though it's turn based with random battles. I mention it because its battle system is more tactile than selecting simply Attack from a menu. The way you expend weapon energy is pretty neat, the action trigger special moves have unique action commands, and many other features are modeled off of Final Fantasy 10 (and hey if you're going to copy someone, copy the best).

oh, i know that one, never played it tho. sure, FF10 is the best. but i dislike ATB system. so thats not what i want. i cant imagine doing ATB for shooting while moving frantically..... WAIT, there is one i've played that fit that actually.. Resonance of Fate by Tri-ace game. ATB shooter that make the character dash, jump, dodge but still uses turn-based combat somehow.

on that note, i want another Resonance of Fate; as action JRPG, with gameplay something close like Xenoblade X maybe. either way just ditch the original combat system.

15 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

The emphasis on platforming is one reason I suggested making the whip also be useful for platforming.

alright, thats cool. cant shake the feeling theres a game doing that already, cant remember what tho. or maybe im mistaking grappling hook with whip

Megaman Battle Network as an MMORPG

You'd get to customize your own net-navi, and get to jack them into the game. Walk around on large webs busting virusses, pvp against other players, collecting chips you can send to your navi to use in battle. Large battles with many other navi's against giant bosses on screens much bigger than 2x3x3. If you lose your navi gets deleted (but you can make backups on your homepage). And of course actually open your Navi on your phone or smart watch as a personal assistent.

21 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I think one could still translate a Metroidvania into 3D design; for just one example (well, technically three examples), the Metroid Prime games demonstrated that it is possible to make a 3D Metroidvania. The emphasis on platforming is one reason I suggested making the whip also be useful for platforming.

Err… Lament of Innocence did have whip based puzzle platforming.

Infinite Undiscovery in the style of FE. You get a sizable cast but only have 3 party slots. It would be a blast with the siege battles.

Silent Hill in the style of Resident Evil Outbreak, a co-op survival that isn’t a 4v1 pvp game. You are dropped in a Silent Hill location and have to scavenge limited supplies, while trying to survive and escape. 

On 8/1/2022 at 5:51 AM, ciphertul said:

Err… Lament of Innocence did have whip based puzzle platforming.

I see. I didn't know that. All I knew was that the 3D Castlevania games were hack-&-slash games, so I said I would make a 3D Castlevania that would actually be a Metroidvania.

How was the whip used for puzzle-platforming in that game? Was it any good?

4 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I see. I didn't know that. All I knew was that the 3D Castlevania games were hack-&-slash games, so I said I would make a 3D Castlevania that would actually be a Metroidvania.

How was the whip used for puzzle-platforming in that game? Was it any good?

I wouldn't call either Hack and slash, they where more like action RPG, like someone said closer to DMC.

It was okay, you could do some minor sequence breaking with it. LoI was what I could see a 3D Castlevania to be like as a next attempt after the 64 one. It did lack the backtracking for other routes but had some you need later item to get a new item spots.

Curse of Darkness, the other PS2 game, was more like 3D Symphony of the Night without spells and transformations but with a Familiar trainer side.

53 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

I wouldn't call either Hack and slash, they where more like action RPG, like someone said closer to DMC.

It was okay, you could do some minor sequence breaking with it. LoI was what I could see a 3D Castlevania to be like as a next attempt after the 64 one. It did lack the backtracking for other routes but had some you need later item to get a new item spots.

Curse of Darkness, the other PS2 game, was more like 3D Symphony of the Night without spells and transformations but with a Familiar trainer side.

The Lord of Shadow games are God of War knockoffs, and God of War is classified as a hack and slash.

Speaking of which, Langrisser as a musou game. Everything that makes FEW work would also make Langrisser Warriors work.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

1 minute ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

The Lord of Shadow games are God of War knockoffs, and God of War is classified as a hack and slash.

Speaking of which, Langrisser as a musou game.

Does 2/4 make them all classified as Hack and Slash?

2 hours ago, ciphertul said:

Does 2/4 make them all classified as Hack and Slash?

I wouldn't know; I just know that the Wikipedia article for Lament of Innocence says that it's a hack-&-slash. It also describes Devil May Cry as a hack-and-slash, and given that you keep saying it is like DMC, that's probably the reason.

3 hours ago, ciphertul said:

I see. Thanks for the info.

All I know about Curse of Darkness is that it's the game where Hector is the protagonist. Learning that he was the protagonist in his own game made me really disappointed with how the show handled his character.

Ever since I saw this years ago I had the idea floating around my head for a big 3d open world collectathon with all the smash characters that are realistically never gonna get a game again.

R.O.B., Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game and Watch could all be playable characters with different gameplay styles.