Rate the Unit - Felix

2 minutes ago, ZanaLyrander said:

That's a solid point, there aren't that many missions where you have to defend a base. There are some, and I've lost missions where I wasn't paying attention and a point I was supposed to protect fell, but it doesn't happen often enough for dedicated healers to be more than a very situational niche. 

I really was excited during the demo when I saw all these characters with dedicated defense and guard passives. From a design perspective, it's amazing, and I hope they do that in future games going forward.

Only to be disappointed when they did almost nothing with it.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I would like to give my two cents, I don't feel I have even that: my experience with using Edelgard is much more limited compared to other units. While I agree that she seems amazing, I'm not prepared to officially give her any rating because I haven't used Amyr yet and haven't experimented at all with her other skills. Nor have I gotten War Strike on her. I'll definitely be back to rate units I do have more experience with.

13 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

It is unfortunate that base defense isn't really a niche that exists in this game, outside of the rare exception. It was a pretty big part of FEW1, and is one of the few select areas I feel that it was better. Characters like Linhardt and Mercedes (and anyone with a Defend tactical skill) would definitely feel better if enemies more aggressively went after your main fort.

I think some of it may comes down to map size. Having to defend a base on a huge map while also pushing to end the map can be a pain without shadow slide. And a lot of the chapter main mission maps also tend to be bigger. 

The worst thing I can say about Edelgard is that Armored Lord/Emperor is slow, and it can seriously screw you up if you are bad or unlucky enough. (getting hit = bad)

In term of meta, if you are using axes, there is no reasons to uses anyone other than Edelgard, that's something all the Lords have, (Dimitri for Spear, Claude for Bows) In other words Lords/10.

I really wished that more characters could use SSotC though.

On 7/29/2022 at 4:05 AM, vikingsfan92 said:

I think some of it may comes down to map size. Having to defend a base on a huge map while also pushing to end the map can be a pain without shadow slide. And a lot of the chapter main mission maps also tend to be bigger. 

The maps in this game really aren't bigger than those of FEW though. And from my experience in that game, having a base defender, and enemies to attack that base, is a major contributor to reliable kill counts for S ranks. They'd often have some of the most intense fights.

Anyway, today is Dimitri

Availability - A

This is the ranking I'll assign to a unit is available in all chapters of one route. Not weighing this category substantially, if at all.

Stats - S

Dimitri boasts the highest Str growth in the game, alongside good Dex, Hp, Def, and Charisma. His only dump stats are Luck and Resistance, which aren't especially important to him given his lack Luna.

Skills - A

Lack of Luna/Flare, Dual Onslaught, and Big Game Hunter is unfortunate. However, he does have Lifeforce, Armsthrift, Impossible Feat, Wild Abandon, Forethought, Absorb Strength and Offensive Tactics.

Dimitri is a uniquely good combat art nuker with the combination of his crest with Lifeforce.

Arts - S

Dimitri's got multiple exclusive combat arts.

Assist - F

Just Trust and Warrior Assist. In other words, adjutants don't get much worse, if at all.

Preferred Class - S

Dimitri has an exclusive class, and lances are an amazing weapon type to begin with. 

Alternative Class - C

Dimitri may be average swapping to any physical classes, but there is little reason to. I'm inclined to say he's probably one of the least flexible units in the game. That said, he does have the better Class Action skills for Brawler, Brigand, and Great Knight so there is definitely a case for him being effective in this, so I'm giving him some credit.

Edit: I'm bumping this up because I think he'd be comparably effective to Bernadetta in terms of Bow Knight The Inexhaustible combat art room clears. He'd just be less spamming, more damning.

Crest - C

Dimitri's crest is potentially powerful for nuking with combat arts, but it comes at an increased cost. It also comes with just one relic that is pretty decent. I think you can do some major room clearing with it, Lifeforce, Armsthrift, and Forethought. While Sylvain's weapon effect would have been better, his anti-guard effect ensures some reliability, and his propensity for extra knockback damage should wipe anything that lives. This might even be a B crest.

Unique Action - A

Free Essence of Lightning and lightning on every attack. Boring, but very effective. Just maybe not on par with the very best unique actions.

Unique Support - A

Dimitri's already designed around knockback, so this is a pretty damn solid skill for him.

Unique Tactical - S

Probably the best tactical skill a unit can have.

Bias - S

While I don't find Dimitri particularly easy to agree with, I do really enjoy playing as him. He's a badass and he fills my favorite class type.

Overall Ranking - S

I think Dimitri deserves an S in the sense that he is supremely effective at what he does. And he'd be at least competent in other physical classes. He's the least effective lord, but that's already a high bar. I'd consider him to be on the borderline between S and A.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

Dimitri

Spoiler

Availability - B
Dimitri is forced to sit on the bench for a chapter or so compared to his other classmates on his route. Because of that distinction I'm giving him B but honestly it really doesn't matter very much.

Stats - S
Dimitri probably has the best stats in the game. Highest Str, high dex, high bulk if you're the type who makes mistakes.

Skills - A

Arts - S
Atrocity and Paraselene are both quite good.

Assist - F

Preferred Class - A
I'm not handing out S just for having an exclusive class. That being said, Great Lord is pretty solid. The moveset feels a little slow but C5 and C6 are awesome, and charged C3 can scoop up enemies to rack up your kill count. The strong attack lance throw is a nice follow-up to tack on more damage to staggered enemies.

Alternative Class - ?
I'm honestly not sure.

Crest - A
I'm a big believer in the crest of Blaiddyd. It was a hindrance back in vanilla 3H but in this game, as long as you have a nice and durable weapon and cook the good food, you won't run out even if the crest activates every time. And you want it to. The damage boost is quite substantial.

Unique Action - A
The lightning effect is nice and probably the best element for wiping out groups, as it chains to a degree and synergizes well with Dimitri's tendency to send enemies flying. But it's not Felix, Sylvain, Ferdinand, or any of those other unique action gods, so it's still just getting an A

Unique Support - A
I'm going to guess that this is helpful, but since I don't know the numbers, it's just a guess. It's probably pretty strong though.

Unique Tactical - S

Bias - S
Dimitri is probably my favorite character and maybe my favorite unit to play as, so I'm definitely incredibly biased.

Overall Ranking - A
Dimitri is good but I can't in good conscience put him next to the monsters like Shez and Felix. His area clearing combos come out slow, and although he can absolutely nuke commanders with combat arts, he still has to contend with their cooldown, unless you want to slap the inexhaustible on him. I'd really prefer to give him a rating like A+ but if forced to choose between just A and S I'd have to say A. Still an amazing unit though, he does everything you want him to, just maybe not as fast as some other characters. He's a top of the line fighter, but he has no special sauce to sweeten the deal.

3 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

The maps in this game really aren't bigger than those of FEW though. And from my experience in that game, having a base defender, and enemies to attack that base, is a major contributor to reliable kill counts for S ranks. They'd often have some of the most intense fights.

Thing is even if they are the same size.  They both are big enough to make going back and forth too much feel  antiprogression or at least it could feel that way to some.  It's a cut easily justifiable for mass appeal imo.

Okay, let me try my hand at a proper analysis this time.

Spoiler

Availability - A

Available for the whole route barring a single chapter and one additional main mission. We don't give A- or B+, so I'll just round up.

Stats - S

Fantastic stats, Dimitri's growths are exceptional. He's got shit magic, but that's not a huge problem for him.

Skills - A

Dimitri has a number of very good skills like Armsthrift (which he needs given his crest), Absorb Strength, Offensive Tactics, and Stalwart Stance (which you're also gonna need if you ever want to get off his Great Lord class action without getting knocked out of the air)

Arts - S

Paraselene and Atrocity are fantastic unique lance skills.

Assist - F

Not much to say, he's pretty useless as an adjutant.

Preferred Class - A

First area where I have to disagree. Yes, Dimitri has a unique class, but unique isn't the same as useful. This is not to say that Great Lord is a bad class by any means, it's quite powerful. But when evaluating a unique class, it's only natural to compare it to the master classes of the same weapon type, which puts Great Lord in the uncomfortable position of having to be compared to Dark Knight and Holy Knight, some of the best classes in the game. And compared to these alternatives, Great Lord has low mobility, inability to use magic, an unreliable class action that leaves the user very vulnerable to counterattacks, and imo worse combos. It's still a good class, but it's hard to give a S when there are clearly better alternatives.

Alternative Class - B

Moving Dimitri out of Lance using classes might seem a waste, but frankly with stats like his, he can do well at virtually any class except Dark Bishop (unless you want to do silly Hrotti cheese strats).

Crest - D

Dimitri's crest is kinda weird, in that it's not a purely beneficial effect, but it can still be quite powerful. The main problem I have with it is that often the extra durability cost feels like a waste because it's frankly overkill, Dimitri hits so hard that often when his crest activates, the combat art would have been enough to kill regardless, so it's just spending extra durability for no gain.

Unique Action - A

Free Essence of Lightning that also boosts normal attacks. Not terribly exciting, but still excellent.

Unique Support - A

Unique Tactical - S

Bias - S

I like Dimitri, especially in Three Hopes. I'm sorry to everyone who was fond of feral asshole Dimitri in Three Houses, but I will never understand the appeal. Three Hopes Dimitri is so much easier to sympathize with, even if I personally still consider him a bit misguided.

Overall Ranking - A

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I can't in good conscience place Dimitri on the same level as the strongest units in the game. He's good at what he does, but he's definitely the weakest of the House Leaders. He's hardly weak, in an AG run he's likely to be one of your better units, but he's just not on the same level as the strongest units in the game. Honestly, I could go either way on this one. Dimitri is either at the bottom of S tier or the top of A tier, but I eventually leaned more towards the latter.

Edited by ZanaLyrander

20 minutes ago, ZanaLyrander said:

Okay, let me try my hand at a proper analysis this time.

Hide contents

Availability - A

Available for the whole route barring a single chapter and one additional main mission. We don't give A- or B+, so I'll just round up.

Stats - S

Fantastic stats, Dimitri's growths are exceptional. He's got shit magic, but that's not a huge problem for him.

Skills - A

Dimitri has a number of very good skills like Armsthrift (which he needs given his crest), Absorb Strength, Offensive Tactics, and Stalwart Stance (which you're also gonna need if you ever want to get off his Great Lord class action without getting knocked out of the air)

Arts - S

Paraselene and Atrocity are fantastic unique lance skills.

Assist - F

Not much to say, he's pretty useless as an adjutant.

Preferred Class - A

First area where I have to disagree. Yes, Dimitri has a unique class, but unique isn't the same as useful. This is not to say that Great Lord is a bad class by any means, it's quite powerful. But when evaluating a unique class, it's only natural to compare it to the master classes of the same weapon type, which puts Great Lord in the uncomfortable position of having to be compared to Dark Knight and Holy Knight, some of the best classes in the game. And compared to these alternatives, Great Lord has low mobility, inability to use magic, an unreliable class action that leaves the user very vulnerable to counterattacks, and imo worse combos. It's still a good class, but it's hard to give a S when there are clearly better alternatives.

Alternative Class - B

Moving Dimitri out of Lance using classes might seem a waste, but frankly with stats like his, he can do well at virtually any class except Dark Bishop (unless you want to do silly Hrotti cheese strats).

Crest - D

Dimitri's crest is kinda weird, in that it's not a purely beneficial effect, but it can still be quite powerful. The main problem I have with it is that often the extra durability cost feels like a waste because it's frankly overkill, Dimitri hits so hard that often when his crest activates, the combat art would have been enough to kill regardless, so it's just spending extra durability for no gain.

Unique Action - A

Free Essence of Lightning that also boosts normal attacks. Not terribly exciting, but still excellent.

Unique Support - A

Unique Tactical - S

Bias - S

I like Dimitri, especially in Three Hopes. I'm sorry to everyone who was fond of feral asshole Dimitri in Three Houses, but I will never understand the appeal. Three Hopes Dimitri is so much easier to sympathize with, even if I personally still consider him a bit misguided.

Overall Ranking - A

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I can't in good conscience place Dimitri on the same level as the strongest units in the game. He's good at what he does, but he's definitely the weakest of the House Leaders. He's hardly weak, in an AG run he's likely to be one of your better units, but he's just not on the same level as the strongest units in the game. Honestly, I could go either way on this one. Dimitri is either at the bottom of S tier or the top of A tier, but I eventually leaned more towards the latter.

I find this agreeable, and my opinion on Dimitri is comparable to Shez. They're either low S or high A. Could go in either. I guess the distinction for me is that Shez' required deployment pushes out sword units I'd consider to be even better (Byleth, Felix, sword Marianne), while Dimitri is at least comparable to the best lance units.

I also personally rate all movesets of the same weapon type together as Preferred Class, as there is zero opportunity cost for switching - a Trickster is equally effective as a Dancer or Mortal Savant. And all lance movesets are phenomenal.

14 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I find this agreeable, and my opinion on Dimitri is comparable to Shez. They're either low S or high A. Could go in either. I guess the distinction for me is that Shez' required deployment pushes out sword units I'd consider to be even better (Byleth, Felix, sword Marianne), while Dimitri is at least comparable to the best lance units.

I also personally rate all movesets of the same weapon type together as Preferred Class, as there is zero opportunity cost for switching - a Trickster is equally effective as a Dancer or Mortal Savant. And all lance movesets are phenomenal.

Shez I'd definitely still put as mid to high S tier. Their Shadow Slip ability, Asura class, and dark magic are just so freaking powerful that any other criticisms fall by the wayside. The fact that other units might be objectively stronger seems irrelevant when discussing a unit who can be essentially everywhere and annihilate even some of the strongest commanders on Maddening with one or two spells, and carve through hordes of enemies with insane combos. Sure, in a one on one fight, there are plenty of other characters I consider S tier who would probably beat Shez, but that's not how this game works, and in terms of winning battles, in terms of completing the mission successfully (with an S rank), Shez can't be beat.

It's certainly a fair point that switching Dimitri to Dark Knight or Holy Knight is essentially free, but the problem is, even while I just went on about how Dark Knight and Holy Knight are better than Great Lord, Dimitri's stats and abilities really aren't geared towards magic use, which means that as a Dark Knight or Holy Knight, he gets outcompeted by the other lance users like Sylvain, Ingrid, or even Rodrigue. Don't get me wrong, I've spent quite a bit of time with Dimitri as a Dark Knight, and given how OP spells are in this game, a Thoron from Dimitri still freaking hurts. But he's still not as good as Sylvain, and even Ingrid gives him a run for his money. Having said this, I suppose 'not as good as Sylvain' is a tremendously unfair comparison, I consider Sylvain a strong contender for the best unit in the game.

Edited by ZanaLyrander

8 minutes ago, ZanaLyrander said:

Shez I'd definitely still put as mid to high S tier. Their Shadow Slip ability, Asura class, and dark magic are just so freaking powerful that any other criticisms fall by the wayside. The fact that other units might be objectively stronger seems irrelevant when discussing a unit who can be essentially everywhere and annihilate even some of the strongest commanders on Maddening with one or two spells, and carve through hordes of enemies with insane combos. Sure, in a one on one fight, there are plenty of other characters I consider S tier who would probably beat Shez, but that's not how this game works, and in terms of winning battles, in terms of completing the mission successfully (with an S rank), Shez can't be beat.

It's certainly a fair point that switching Dimitri to Dark Knight or Holy Knight is essentially free, but the problem is, even while I just went on about how Dark Knight and Holy Knight are better than Great Lord, Dimitri's stats and abilities really aren't geared towards magic use, which means that as a Dark Knight or Holy Knight, he gets outcompeted by the other lance users like Sylvain, Ingrid, or even Rodrigue. Don't get me wrong, I've spent quite a bit of time with Dimitri as a Dark Knight, and given how OP spells are in this game, a Thoron from Dimitri still freaking hurts. But he's still not as good as Sylvain, and even Ingrid gives him a run for his money. Having said this, I suppose 'not as good as Sylvain' is a tremendously unfair comparison, I consider Sylvain a strong contender for the best unit in the game.

Maybe I wasn't quite as appreciative of Shez as I should be. However, I don't feel like the game is designed such that the teleport ability is often necessary. Most stages, I don't use it at all, and I could probably count the number of times in a full playthrough on my hands.

I certainly don't feel like blanket penalizing the whole sword category like you did, just because Shez is a required deployment. Feels dirty when units like Felix would reasonably be A or even S tier without that.

1 minute ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Maybe I wasn't quite as appreciative of Shez as I should be. However, I don't feel like the game is designed such that the teleport ability is often necessary. Most stages, I don't use it at all, and I could probably count the number of times in a full playthrough on my hands.

I certainly don't feel like blanket penalizing the whole sword category like you did, just because Shez is a required deployment. Feels dirty when units like Felix would reasonably be A or even S tier without that.

It's more than just the teleport really. Shez's overall mobility and speed is nuts, and in terms of wracking up kills needed for an S rank, Shez can just run into a crowd, cast Essence of Dark Boosted Luna, and then zip away, picking up like 50-100 kills in the background on the way to their objective, quite possibly destroying a commander in the process. Shez's contribution to the overall success of the mission is bonkers, and really can't be beat. Even if you swap out their personal skill for Sylvain's, like I've been doing more recently, they still have excellent map presence with Shadow Slip if you make effective use of it, and they're strong enough that they don't struggle with anything Maddening can throw at you.

I do think you're correct, it is unfair of me to penalize Dimitri just because there are better lance users in my opinion. I should follow my own advice from the other tier list thread, other units being better doesn't make a unit worse. It does suck that there are so many powerful lance units in AG, but that's not Dimitri's fault and I can't hold it against him as a unit.

But I do stand by my rating for Dimitri. Dimitri is a powerful, reliable, one-trick pony. It's a damn good trick, but he's not terribly flexible, and he struggles against certain challenges. I suppose that's what sets Shez apart in my mind. Dimitri is damn good at what he does, but he's kinda focused. Shez may not be the best of the best in any given area aside from map presence, but they can handle anything.

Still, Dimitri definitely sits at the top of A tier in my mind, and it'd be tough to unseat him from that throne. If you're better than Dimitri, you belong in S tier, no question. 

1 hour ago, ZanaLyrander said:

It's more than just the teleport really. Shez's overall mobility and speed is nuts, and in terms of wracking up kills needed for an S rank, Shez can just run into a crowd, cast Essence of Dark Boosted Luna, and then zip away, picking up like 50-100 kills in the background on the way to their objective, quite possibly destroying a commander in the process. Shez's contribution to the overall success of the mission is bonkers, and really can't be beat. Even if you swap out their personal skill for Sylvain's, like I've been doing more recently, they still have excellent map presence with Shadow Slip if you make effective use of it, and they're strong enough that they don't struggle with anything Maddening can throw at you.

This. There is absolutely no way Shez is not in the highest tier. I'll also add that Shadow Slide is amazing if you don't yet know how a map works. An ambush pops up in a place you're not expecting? Shez is guaranteed to be able to quickly help. Shez is useful in a way that goes beyond stats and damage, and their stats/damage are absolutely good enough to deal with any actual challenges in the game.

I also think we're ignoring a bit of an elephant in the room. If this is a NG+ tier list, Shez is 100% guaranteed to be coming in with a high level and good skillset. Many of the other names I see tossed around for S tier are route-locked,  so Shez will be utterly leaving them in the dust until we're on at least our fourth file, and will still have an advantage even then (three previous files to gain combat exp instead of one). Yes, maybe after hundreds upon hundreds of hours this distinction goes away, but at that point is anything really gonna challenge you? At best, maybe you've found a set of conditions where Shez still destroys maps, but maybe if you squint someone else might be able to destroy them harder? That's not a very good argument for a character not being S tier. This is "Franz surpasses Seth", except even worse because it takes over three complete playthroughs to get there, past the point where the majority of players will have put the game down.

And if it's a NG tier list (which I still think is more useful), then Fluegel utterly clowning other pre-master sword classes both for moveset and for spell access should be considered. Along with the forced deployment, I do think this absolutely makes other sword users worse in practice as a result.

Edited by Dark Holy Elf

30 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

This. There is absolutely no way Shez is not in the highest tier. I'll also add that Shadow Slide is amazing if you don't yet know how a map works. An ambush pops up in a place you're not expecting? Shez is guaranteed to be able to quickly help. Shez is useful in a way that goes beyond stats and damage, and their stats/damage are absolutely good enough to deal with any actual challenges in the game.

Yes, maybe after hundreds upon hundreds of hours this distinction goes away, but at that point is anything really gonna challenge you? At best, maybe you've found a set of conditions where Shez still destroys maps, but maybe if you squint someone else might be able to destroy them harder? That's not a very good argument for a character not being S tier.

I think there is an excellent point here about the fact that there exists a point of diminishing returns regarding the strength of a unit. Like, there are certainly ways I think Shez could be improved. I'd love to have more damage skills like Dual Onslaught on Shez, and I'd love if Shez had a crest. But at the same time... Shez is already annihilating some of the strongest commanders on Maddening in a single spell. I don't know if I'd even notice the difference if Shez had any of these improvements. Once a character is strong enough that the hardest challenges in the game are easy for them, additional strength doesn't change anything. It's why I consider Shez to be high S tier despite lacking the raw power of some of the other characters I consider S tier, because they've reached that level of diminishing returns, additional strength would be wasted. This leaves Shez as strong enough to be considered S tier, with the added benefit of insane map presence. That is why I consider them high S tier.

Edited by ZanaLyrander

You guys pretty much said all the things I'd want to say about Shez. I'd consider Shez to be the best unit in the game. Not the best by a mile, but the best by a fair margin in my opinion. I honestly find it baffling how you could consider Shez not in the S tier while Dimitri is, but I guess this is why this is a community made list.

About first playthroughs vs NG+ playthroughs: if we're going to ignore the massive level gap that will inevitably exist between Shez and all the other units in NG+, I'd say Shez is actually better in a first playthrough. Lacking damage skills hardly matters when you don't have access to those skills and Shez still has several tools that makes them significantly stronger than most other units such as Shadow Slide and the Fluegel class. Also Shez levels up really easily due to all their area clearing combos. Characters who lack area clearing abilities tend to level up slower by comparison, and the speed of leveling up matters in a first playthrough.

28 minutes ago, Pie Burritos said:

You guys pretty much said all the things I'd want to say about Shez. I'd consider Shez to be the best unit in the game. Not the best by a mile, but the best by a fair margin in my opinion. I honestly find it baffling how you could consider Shez not in the S tier while Dimitri is, but I guess this is why this is a community made list.

About first playthroughs vs NG+ playthroughs: if we're going to ignore the massive level gap that will inevitably exist between Shez and all the other units in NG+, I'd say Shez is actually better in a first playthrough. Lacking damage skills hardly matters when you don't have access to those skills and Shez still has several tools that makes them significantly stronger than most other units such as Shadow Slide and the Fluegel class. Also Shez levels up really easily due to all their area clearing combos. Characters who lack area clearing abilities tend to level up slower by comparison, and the speed of leveling up matters in a first playthrough.

In fairness, I probably should rate Shez S tier. I went back and forth on that. But me rating them in A did have the effect of putting them exactly at the upper limit of where I think they may belong - low to mid S tier.

We all have logical hangups. I don't get how someone can rate down Dimitri for not being good at magic and then in the same rating basically say that he accomplishes the same thing by overkilling foes into oblivion with combat arts. He hits so ridiculously hard with CA's that they become on par with high tier spells.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

I'm planning on marking Lysithea down as A too since she and Dimitri basically do the same thing. The magic spam relic helps for sure but it's not like she has anything else to do at all while Dimitri can clear crowds with his combos while waiting to come off cooldown. She also dies really easily whereas Dimitri can afford a mistake or two (at the potential expense of an S rank). I'm definitely getting ahead of myself though, so I'll just go ahead and wait till Claude becomes the next topic of discussion.

16 hours ago, Pie Burritos said:

I'm planning on marking Lysithea down as A too since she and Dimitri basically do the same thing. The magic spam relic helps for sure but it's not like she has anything else to do at all while Dimitri can clear crowds with his combos while waiting to come off cooldown. She also dies really easily whereas Dimitri can afford a mistake or two (at the potential expense of an S rank). I'm definitely getting ahead of myself though, so I'll just go ahead and wait till Claude becomes the next topic of discussion.

Yeah, hybrid magic/physical characters really seem to be the ideal for this game. Characters that are entirely devoted to one or the other can occasionally be slow when they encounter enemies with high defense against their damage type. Though I admit, this seems to be more of a problem for purely physical attackers than purely magical attackers. Enemies with high resistance are rare, and their resistance doesn't seem to get as high as the defense of heavily armored enemies like Fortress/Great Knights, and their hp tends to be fairly low as well. It's why sword and lance classes are so powerful, having access to strong physical attacks with their combos as well as magic spells. Lysithea kinda gets around this problem by having easy access to Luna (the spell, not the ability, though she has that too; god it's confusing having both in the same game), and thus being able to simply ignore enemy resistance.

Edited by ZanaLyrander

Let me try to rate him correctly, no promise it'll be good.

Spoiler

Availability - B

Dimitri has the annoying gimmick of being away for one chapters and one fight. I hope you have another good spear user to replace him when that happen.

Stats - A

The biggest Str in the entire game, low Mag and Res, good everything. In other words stomp stomp stomp.

Skills - A

The only thing I have against him is a lack of Luna, same with Dual Onslaught and Big Game Hunter, but this doesn't stop him that much, he still has the rest of the set of the Perfect Optimized Unit(™). I suspect that the dev made him that way to not make him too strong.

Arts - S

Hello Atrocity, who is effective against everything. Hello Paraselene, who cannot be guarded against. 

Assist - F

Why would you even think of doing that?

Preferred Class - S

Unique classes that are stupidly good. Paladin too.

Alternative Class - C
I was never disappointed when putting him with any physical class, he was much competent with magic ones though, but it's not that much of a problem. I was surprised to see how good he was as a War Master, but War Master give even more Str, so I really shouldn't have.

Crest - A

Dimitri is basically an introduction to Forging and why you should do it even outside of Hard/Maddening, if you don't, Minor Crest of Blaiddyd is a curse, and you are effectively nerfing him, if you do, enjoy Atrocity and the massive damage it does, more so when the Crest activate.

Unique Action - A

Boring But Practical. Azure Lightning imbue every attack he does with.... lightning, it's utterly boring, but practical.

Unique Support - A

Funny thing is that Dimitri has a unique skill called Savior of the Meek from his second unique class, which make it easier to knockback ennemies depending on how much Str he has by comparison. Dimitri has the fattest Str growth in the game.

Unique Tactical - A

When ordered to attack, does 50% damage, considering that Dimitri is made to break people, this is stupidly good.

Bias - A

Lord/10. You can't go wrong with him, make him your dedicated Spear user in AG... except when AG take him away from you... multiple times. I do dislike his Lord/Great Lord gimmick a bit, I hate being stuck in places, and I prefer to replace King's Ploy with something else. But that's really just it.

Overall Ranking - S

In other words, Lord/10. Great character. Use him.

Is it Claude time? I think it's Claude time.

Availability - A

This is the ranking I'll assign to a unit is available in all chapters of one route. Not weighing this category substantially, if at all.

Stats - A

Claude boasts the highest Dex growth in the game, alongside great speed, decent Str and Lck. His other stats are middling to poor. He's notably squishier than other lords.

Skills - S

Luna, Dual Onslaught, Lifeforce, Impossible Feat, Stalwart Stance, Wild Abandon, and Absorb Dex. Claude's pretty stacked.

Arts - S

Claude's got multiple exclusive combat arts.

Assist - F

Trust, One Heart One Mind, and nothing else.

Preferred Class - S

Claude's got one of the best exclusive classes, easily on a similar level to Asura. Bow Knight is also a great moveset, IMO.

Alternative Class - C

Has a sacred sword for sword classes. Has the better class mechanic skills for Great Knight and Priest, so those options should technically work. Thing is, unlike Dimitri, I don't think he particularly excels at any alternative classes. And unlike Edelgard, Sylvain, or Ferdinand, he definitely doesn't excel at all of them.

Crest - B

A decent healing effect, a very good personal bow, and an average personal sword. Not bad at all. The healing may help counteract Lifeforce.

Unique Action - A

Free Essence of Wind and wind on every attack. Probably the weakest of the Lord elements, but not by much.

Unique Support - B

Claude does excel at juggling, and basically having built-in Flyswatter aint bad at all. I'm not sure if I'd consider it amazing either.

Unique Tactical - F

Probably the second worst tactical skill to have, only just above Defend defense. And Claude wouldn't excel in the base defender role, if that even existed.

Bias - S

Claude, especially in Three Hopes, is one of Fire Emblem's most compelling lords.

Overall Ranking - S

Here's the thing about Claude. He's surprisingly mediocre in a few relatively unimportant ways. But he's so stupidly good in the most key areas (skills and personal class), that it would be unjustifiable to rank him lower.

Oh boy, it's Claude time.

Spoiler

Availability - A

Claude is here for the whole route.

Stats - A

Claude's stats aren't phenomenal compared to the other lords, but they're more than adequate.

Skills - S

Claude gets the good shit. Luna, Dual Onslaught, Offensive Tactics, Stalwart Stance, not to mention some very nice stun gauge abilities like Heavy Hitter and Heaviest Hitter, and self sustain in the form of Rejuvenation. Claude is pretty stacked.

Arts - S

Wind God is frankly overpowered. And if you decide to swap him to a magic using class, Excalibur remains one of the most useful spells in the game, even for units with relatively low magic.

Assist - F

Not much to say, not much point in using him as an adjutant.

Preferred Class - S

Barbarossa is definitely the best of the unique lord classes, it honestly blows Emperor and Great Lord away (and that's saying something), and Bow Knight is a solid alternative.

Alternative Class - B

While the Reigan sword is nothing special, Claude actually makes for a surprisingly effective Trickster or Mortal Savant. His magic stat may not be anything to write home about, but Excalibur's value as a crowd control spell even ignoring the damage it deals should not be overlooked.

Crest - B

The Crest of Reigan is nothing too exciting, but at the same time it's nothing to sneeze at, extra healing is always nice to have.

Unique Action - A

Again, just adds wind element to all attacks, and acts as a free Essence of Wind. Not too exciting, but very effective all the same.

Unique Support - B

Not a bad support, but nothing terribly exciting either. It suits his fighting style fairly well at least.

Unique Tactical - C

Fairly niche, can be useful during escort objectives, but not as useful as attacking tacticals.

Bias - S

Claude is my favorite house leader, and that's high praise. The guy is devilishly clever, has goals I would fight for, and he's just generally fun to be around.

Overall Ranking - S

Claude may not be quite as flexible as Edelgard, but he's a fantastic unit overall, undoubtedly a top tier character. Can't really avoid an S rank here.

Haven't really been super impressed with Claude so far (despite enjoying his character work in this game a lot). He's solid, to be sure - gets some nice skills in particular - but I find his unique moveset a bit awkward, which seems to put me in the minority here. I expect I'll end up with him in Bow Knight instead, which I already have a lot of familiarity with and find easier to use.

2 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Haven't really been super impressed with Claude so far (despite enjoying his character work in this game a lot). He's solid, to be sure - gets some nice skills in particular - but I find his unique moveset a bit awkward, which seems to put me in the minority here. I expect I'll end up with him in Bow Knight instead, which I already have a lot of familiarity with and find easier to use.

Barbarossa does take some getting used to, it's a weirdly aggressive bow moveset that moves towards your target while attacking a lot, which admittedly threw me for a loop initially. But it kinda works, he doesn't actually mind getting up close, and still has plenty of long range options. His class action is also really powerful. It leads to a really flexible moveset once you're used to it.