Mythic Hero - Askr

Sunwoo

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm very aware that it's the actual name of the animal, but this entire argument is because people in this thread cannot agree on a singular name for the animal, so you suggesting "cattle", which is not singular, is absolutely pointless. And the fact that people in this thread cannot agree on a singular name for the animal shows that "cow" is not universally accepted.

If "cow" were universally accepted, then Wikipedia would almost certainly use "cow" as the name of the page instead of redirecting "cow" to "cattle". This is the only Wikipedia page for an animal that uses a plural word for the name of the page. The Wikipedia page itself highlights this:

Yes, I know. I'm quite aware of the etymology of the names of food animals and their meat in English. The names of animals come from Anglo-Saxon, which was the language of the peasantry that raised the animals, whereas the names of meats come from Norman, which was the language of the nobility that typically had no contact with the live animals.

But no one actually rejects cow as a name for the species in parlance. And certainly  o one thinks bovine is an accurate substitute where cow or cattle fail, because, as I said, bovine is the name of the genus like canine or feline. That no one would say I will feed the (singular) feline is equally true that no one would say I will feed the (singular) bovine.

Or we could refer to all cows hereafter as dragons. Wouldn't be the weirdest thing covered under the moniker of Dragon.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Othin said:

017926.jpg

Behold, a dragon!

Thank you for the much needed levity.

Per the conversation of farmers, being raised in rural Texas, both of you are technically right. Most "farmers" (although if we are technical here, you become a rancher or cattleperson when it is exclusively livestock) would colloquially say "I raise cows," or "I own a cattle ranch," when encountering non-work specific scenarios such as small talk. However, they shift language to cow, steer, bull, heifer, etc. when the scenario calls for it.

That said, I think the horn structure is more in line with a bison or buffalo than any specific breed of cattle. I think the buffalo crowd is going to actually be more accurate in this scenario.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

But no one actually rejects cow as a name for the species in parlance.

The fact that this argument was started because someone rejected the use of the word "cow" to refer to the species says otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

And certainly  o one thinks bovine is an accurate substitute where cow or cattle fail, because, as I said, bovine is the name of the genus like canine or feline. That no one would say I will feed the (singular) feline is equally true that no one would say I will feed the (singular) bovine.

Wikipedia says otherwise, and I'm not in a position to dispute their knowledge:

Colloquially, more general nonspecific terms may denote cattle when a singular form is needed. Head of cattle is usually used only after a numeral. Australian, New Zealand and British farmers use the term beast or cattle beastBovine is also used in Britain. The term critter is common in the western United States and Canada, particularly when referring to young cattle. In some areas of the American South (particularly the Appalachian region), where both dairy and beef cattle are present, an individual animal was once called a "beef critter", though that term is becoming archaic.

On 7/28/2022 at 5:19 AM, Rinco said:

We should just call them Moomoo

I like the sound of Moomoo, sounds funny. I think I may call Askr Mr. Moomoo from time to time to confuse the hell out of people.

1 hour ago, Othin said:

017926.jpg

Behold, a dragon!

A restraunt in my downtown has a statue of @Ice Dragon.

o.jpg

20 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The fact that this argument was started because someone rejected the use of the word "cow" to refer to the species says otherwise.

Pedantisism is not a vocal rejection of accepted standards.

20 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Wikipedia says otherwise, and I'm not in a position to dispute their knowledge:

And as I said, I utterly reject the notion that the British are using bovine as a common phrase specifically denoted for cows, or at least that it's any more common that feline or canine.

On 7/24/2022 at 11:19 PM, Alexmender said:

Askr is pretty loaded as a unit. His prf has Slaying, Spectrum+5, guaranteed follow-up, S!Maria's Def based true dmg reduction and true dmg and the Tempo he gets for being an infantry beast. Opened Domain is a great support skill, it gives -1 CD to allies and a passive +4 to all stats in the form of the Resonance buffs which come with the added benefit of triggering any weapon that requires having an active buff to work. 

Am I reading this correctly (I just pulled Askr like ten minutes ago) that the buffs are not given to FEH exclusive characters?

48 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

Am I reading this correctly (I just pulled Askr like ten minutes ago) that the buffs are not given to FEH exclusive characters?

Yep, so he sucks in Limited Hero Battles as support.

2 hours ago, jameslove001 said:

2 hours ago, XRay said:

Yep, so he sucks in Limited Hero Battles as support.

The buffs are applied to all allies in range. However, in order to activate, there must be at least one ally in range that is not a Heroes character.

19 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The buffs are applied to all allies in range. However, in order to activate, there must be at least one ally in range that is not a Heroes character.

Ahhhh. That seems a little better. And I guess that is supposed to be a nod of the hat to "God of Opening." In order to use his talents you have to open the doors. Kinda an interesting take, but agree with @XRay it sucks for the Limited Hero Battles.