Can somebody explain how Metallica works?

Polinym

Hello! This is a weird topic, but I'd like to get some weird info that I can't really find on the internet.

Bit of context: I've been trying to learn how to make music, mostly for an indie game project I'm working on but also for fun. I really dig final boss music for whatever reason. Unfortunately, I have no musical instruction to speak of: I've mostly learned from tidibts of internet articles, paying really close attention to the music I listen to, and just messing around in the program Bosca Ceoil to find out what sounds good and what doesn't. Lately, though, I've been looking to branch out into other software and try to make music with more realistic instruments.

One sort of sound I'd like to try and replicate is the "metal" or whatever guitar thing like Metallica does. Here's an example of what I'm talking about, starting at 0:28 on the song.

Can someone with musical knowledge explain to me what's going on behind-the-scenes to make that sound? I'm not all that familiar with instruments, don't even know how to play one. For precussion I'm thinking there's at least a snare drum, cymbol crash thing, and base drum, but I have no idea how they get the guitar to go all deep, dark and BRRRGHGHRH, you know? What instruments/sounds are being combined to give the guitar that GRRRGH feeling?

10 hours ago, Polinym said:

they get the guitar to go all deep, dark

They're playing with an certain set of frets on the neck.

and BRRRGHGHRH

It's the string  equivalent of an half or an whole note; they're just letting the string vibrate longer than usual. It's like continuously blowing through an flute or an trumpet to sustain an note

What instruments/sounds are being combined to give the guitar that GRRRGH feeling?

Usually, there's two or three electric guitars in an band; but you really need an good ear to hear the electric bass (it's usually for that creepy backbeat). But this sound is usually an prolonged note from one of them.

Here's the sheet music for the lead guitar if you're interested

Edited by Armchair General

Great song! I believe that specific sound is actually a 12-string bass, probably put through a bit of processing and played with a combination of a heavy pick attack and heavy muting, so it's more a foley effect than a note.

So taking what both you guys said into account... oh, and seeing it in action in the video like that, it makes a lot more sense! As I understand it then, The guitars are "set" to have this crazy echo to them, and the two guitars play in unison sometimes. And, there's a muted-something electric bass guitar behind them. I think I see how it works now. I'll have to keep that in mind in my experimentation. Thanks so much! 😄