Which characters were popular but aren‘t anymore?

6 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I think he's intended to be relatable to the audience that plays video games (without being glorified/overly complementary like a Kirito), and people may or may not like what they see of themselves in him.

I wonder if people actually find him relatable. 

On 8/9/2022 at 9:32 PM, Archeleon said:

I wonder if people actually find him relatable. 

I do. Ignatz is a nerd and a scaredy-cat. And so am I. He's definitely a bit whiny, but honestly, who wouldn't be given his personality and position. The guy isn't cut out for war. Makes me think of Raiden from MGS2.

Ignatz's relatability is simple to understand. Almost everyone has felt at one time or another like they're being pressured into doing something they don't want to do just because they think it's "right", pushing their real passions aside to make it happen. This pressure especially can come from family which is where Ignatz's hangups also arise.

1 minute ago, Outlander said:

Ignatz's relatability is simple to understand. Almost everyone has felt at one time or another like they're being pressured into doing something they don't want to do just because they think it's "right", pushing their real passions aside to make it happen. This pressure especially can come from family which is where Ignatz's hangups also arise.

This is it exactly. Ignatz is relatable because there are plenty of people who've felt pressured to do what's best for their family or their career rather than what they enjoy. In some sense, that's kinda why Ignatz has never been a favorite of mine, he is relatable, he's realistic, depressingly so. Seeing someone give up their dreams in order to make a more reliable living is kinda a little too real imo.

We're all different people and as such we find different characters relatable. Ignatz (like many other Three Houses characters) is well-written enough that I can certainly see finding him relatable, for all that I personally don't (Lysithea probably plays that role the most for me, fear of ghosts aside but then I wasn't traumatized by having all my siblings killed when I was a child).

I suspect Ignatz is one of the less popular students because if you don't find him relatable, he doesn't really do much that stands out or is interesting. I don't dislike the character, but I also don't feel that much for him, and in my experience within the fandom my reaction is extremely common.

I find the mounted units (fliers especially) weaker in Three Hopes than in Three Houses/Original Warriors. Their attacks have long animation locks compared to other classes and they more readily miss their attacks into opponent blocks. I pretty much only use weak attack as a result to avoid being animation locked.

Edited by IonicAmalgam

On 8/9/2022 at 11:07 AM, Fabulously Olivier said:

Fair enough. But then one's opinion of Dimitri is going to depend on their opinions of him as a leader. And personally, I view him as the wrong leader for Fodlan. A man whose alleged ideals are held back for fear of rocking the boat, all because his nation has been repeatedly destabilized by the very types of people Edelgard and Claude want to get rid of.

And how. He even says in Hopes, that reform is unnecessary. (See image) 

i wal always put off by Dimitri, but that made me a bit...nauseous 

On 8/9/2022 at 2:19 PM, Archeleon said:

All I can say is that Three Hopes made me dislike Ignatz even more. Something about this guy that is just obnoxious to me.

Thems fightin' words, lmao 

IMG_5236.JPG

On 8/9/2022 at 11:10 AM, Dark Holy Elf said:

Oh, Three Houses Dimitri at his lowest is not a nice person. But... I enjoyed his character arc of getting past that, of becoming the man who would actually try for a parley and would extend his hand to his enemy instead of being consumed with revenge. A man who learns to live for the present and not the past.

I feel like Three Hopes Dimitri has instead had his revenge tendencies internalized and legitimized and I kinda think he's still a bad person, but now with no hope of recovery? The way he just repeatedly chooses violence over and over to deal with all the lords/etc. who are opposing him makes me uncomfortable. Yes, he has a support system, but that support system is just enabling this, compared to how they were all trying to pull him back from the brink Houses. And as someone who likes the character, this line being in an A support makes me want to scream: "My life is not my own. It belongs to my kingdom, my people, and the dead." It suggests he's not going to get better.

Disclaimer that I'm only at Chapter 11 on this route.

For me, here's the problem with that. It's an amazing idea and I did like Azure Moon Dimitri's acting. But the redemption arc falls flat a bit from how brief it is with Byleth being his only dependent support is just bullshit. Dimitri not having essential characters like Dedue, Felix, and his other friends give him strength hurts his arc a lot.

And sorry to say, but Dimitri's violence against the lords are only incited by the lords themselves starting it. Dimitri tries to push for peace but ultimately slays those who take up arms against them on the battlefield. All lords including Edelgard and Claude had to do this. I wouldn't say his friends enable his worst qualities, AG had an entire scene of the group coming together and encouraging Dimitri to open his heart to them more and it works.

Edited by Seazas

50 minutes ago, Seazas said:

For me, here's the problem with that. It's an amazing idea and I did like Azure Moon Dimitri's acting. But the redemption arc falls flat a bit from how brief it is with Byleth being his only dependent support is just bullshit. Dimitri not having essential characters like Dedue, Felix, and his other friends give him strength hurts his arc a lot.

And sorry to say, but Dimitri's violence against the lords are only incited by the lords themselves starting it. Dimitri tries to push for peace but ultimately slays those who take up arms against them on the battlefield. All lords including Edelgard and Claude had to do this. I wouldn't stay his friends enable his worst qualities, AG had an entire scene of the group coming together and encouraging Dimitri to open his heart to them more and it works.

Regarding Azure Moon, all I can say is that the redemption arc worked better for me. I don't mind Felix not being a big part of it, though I agree Dedue should have been bigger (blame the boneheaded decision to make Dedue an optional character in part 2). Stlil... yeah, he has a close connection with Byleth which the game basically spends the entire game building up, and I buy that Byleth's love and support was able to pull him through his darkest hour and convince him to live for something besides revenge.

Regarding Azure Gleam... well. I've now seen the whole route and yeah like many others I hate it; part 2 is a disaster. Regarding part 1... I will say that "half my lords gave me no choice but to kill them" is a shitty story which removes agency from its protagonist and does not make me feel good about hid skills as a ruler (just think how much better Elincia's RD arc handles it... and yes, Edelgard too, who makes clear efforts to be merciful with her own lords, and ultimately the job of killing the main lord in rebellion against her falls to an appropriate person in her army and is given the gravitas it deserves).

And as for part 2... the contrast between Dimitri's actions in each route's final scene (extending a hand versus just abandoning someone) seems to rather explicitly punctuate that Dimitri is not as good a person in this timeline.

On 8/19/2022 at 9:52 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

Regarding Azure Moon, all I can say is that the redemption arc worked better for me. I don't mind Felix not being a big part of it, though I agree Dedue should have been bigger (blame the boneheaded decision to make Dedue an optional character in part 2). Stlil... yeah, he has a close connection with Byleth which the game basically spends the entire game building up, and I buy that Byleth's love and support was able to pull him through his darkest hour and convince him to live for something besides revenge.

Regarding Azure Gleam... well. I've now seen the whole route and yeah like many others I hate it; part 2 is a disaster. Regarding part 1... I will say that "half my lords gave me no choice but to kill them" is a shitty story which removes agency from its protagonist and does not make me feel good about hid skills as a ruler (just think how much better Elincia's RD arc handles it... and yes, Edelgard too, who makes clear efforts to be merciful with her own lords, and ultimately the job of killing the main lord in rebellion against her falls to an appropriate person in her army and is given the gravitas it deserves).

And as for part 2... the contrast between Dimitri's actions in each route's final scene (extending a hand versus just abandoning someone) seems to rather explicitly punctuate that Dimitri is not as good a person in this timeline.

It didn't really feel earned, I don't buy Byleth's love and support being that special. Just player pandering. Especially when Dimitri hides things from Byleth and brushes them off the same as everyone else.

Well I and many others don't hate it since it has its value. And that point makes no sense, Dimitri does what literally every lord has done and act purely in defense to anyone trying to threaten his life. Dimitri directly tried to be merciful just like Edelgard because he didn't kill all sorts of lords during the rebellion in Part 1. Ultimately they chose to continue fighting him and stick with their beliefs. Might as well say every main character has no agency for acting in retaliation against any threat. Every lord killed people who opposed them and refused to stand down. 

He's still a good person. Just because Dimitri didn't have it in him to immediately help Edelgard - a major cause of his troubles, in a completely different circumstance doesn't mean he's a bad person. He's just flawed with issues and weak points just like his other version, he's not a saint and never has been one. Dimitri in AM did a lot of inexcusable things, AG Dimitri making a questionable choice while being in a dark place doesn't mean he's automatically a worse person. 

Edited by Seazas