Feh Channel - Choose Your Legends 2022

Fire Emblem Fan

And the usual translation things:

The banner's name, "Weave of Fate", is "未来紡ぎし魂たち" (mirai tsumugishi tamashi-tachi), "Souls That Weave the Future". "紡ぐ" (tsumugu) actually means "to spin thread" and not "to weave", but as this is a figurative usage, "weave" makes more sense as a translation.

Byleth's epithet, "Sublime Light", is "覇天顕照" (haten kenshō), "The Clear Light That Conquers the Heavens". "覇天" (haten), "conquering heaven", is the name of the Sublime Heaven skill.

Inner Wellspring is "内より溢れる魔力" (uchi yori afureru maryoku), "Magic Power That Overflows From Within".

Divine Pulse is "天刻の拍動" (tenkoku no hakudō), "Heaven-Engraving Pulse".

Spd Preempt is "速さの先制" (hayasa no sensei), "Spd Preemption".

Seliph's epithet, "Enduring Legacy", is "父の志を追って" (chichi no kokorozashi o otte), "Pursuing His Father's Ambition".

Holytide Tyrfing is "聖日ティルフィング" (seijitsu tirufingu), "Holy Day's Tyrfing".

Atk/Spd Clash is "攻撃速さの激突" (kōgeki hayasa no gekitotsu), "Atk/Spd Clash".

Heir to Light is "光をつぐもの" (hikari o tsugu mono), "Inheritor of Light". This is actually Seliph: Heir of Light's epithet, though it's styled differently as "光を継ぐ者" (hikari o tsugu mono).

Tiki's epithet, "Fated Divinity", is "神竜の目覚め" (shinryū no mezame), "Divine Dragon's Awakening".

Remote Breath is "悠遠のブレス" (yūen no buresu), "Faraway Breath".

Atk/Res Finish is "攻撃魔防の秘奥" (kōgeki mabō no hiō), "Atk/Res Secret". In Heroes, "奥義" (ōgi), literally "secret skill", is the term used to refer to Special skills. This word is commonly used in video games in general to refer to special attacks. "秘奥義" (hiōgi), literally "secret secret skill", is commonly used to refer to "super" attacks.

New Divinity is "新たなる神竜王" (aratanaru shinryū-ō), "New Divine Dragon King". "神竜王" (shinryū-ō), "Divine Dragon King", is Naga's epithet.

Chrom's epithet, "Fated Honor", is "覚醒せし正義" (kakusei seshi seigi), "Awakened Justice".

Geirdriful is "ゲイルドリヴル" (geirudorivuru), "Geirdriful".

A Fate Changed! is "運命は変わった!" (unmei wa kawatta!), "Fate Has Changed!". Compare with "運命を変える!" (unmei o kaeru!), "I Will Change Fate!", which is the name of the To Change Fate! skill.

Inf. Spd Tactic is "速指揮・歩行重視" (soku-shiki: hokō jūshi), "Spd Command: Infantry Emphasis". "速指揮" (soku-shiki) is an abbreviation of "速さの指揮" (hayasa no shiki), "Spd Command", which is the name of the Spd Tactic skill.

Jeralt's epithet, "Blade Breaker", is "壊刃" (kaijin), "Blade Breaker".

Breaker Lance is "壊刃の戦槍" (kaijin no sensō), "Blade Breaker's War Lance".

It's worth noting that the wording of Inf. Spd Tactic's skill name leaves open the possibility of versions for other movement types, unlike the usual infantry skills, which have a different naming scheme.

1 hour ago, Sil/phire said:

JK, of course; just like with sigurd, it feels like they just copy pasted adult tiki's face on top of young tiki's body/design, probably took less than 10 seconds to do, so not very hard.

I get that this was probably meant to be hyperbolic, but that doesn't change the fact that this statement ticks me off as an artist myself.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I'm not terribly impressed with any of these designs. Byleth in the Sothis Regalia, Seliph in Sigurd's outfit, Chrom as a Paladin again but with a Lance instead, and Tiki in her childhood outfit... it feels like IntSys played everything too safe.

Brave Byleth is... something. She's certainly got a lot of Spd for her gimmick, but I think she's underestimating how blisteringly fast Player Phase units can be. Effective 65 on her own isn't bad, but we've got monsters capable of hitting 70+ without much effort, and there's also nothing in her kit stopping a DR tank from simply eating her Special and swinging back into those terrible defense stats. The only reason to pick her is that she's the only Colorless Tome Flier other than Bridal Micaiah, who fills the niche better IMO. Spd Preempt could be interesting as a fodder, but you have to mindful that it only works versus Ranged units while also kicking NCD and Special Spiral out of the B Slot.

Brave Seliph is just a raw Player Phase version of Legendary Sigurd, only applying extra movement to himself. Granted, he is not something you want initiating on you since he has piercing damage and a metric fuckton of Atk/Spd, and gets NFU and Canto from his PRF skills. Which is a little funny and sad in hindsight, because while this makes a legit use case for his Lull Spd/Def since he has no need for a Flow or Trace, really it just highlights how starved Cavalry are for alternative B skills. Also, lack of his father's Crusader's Ward means he'll explode to nearly any magic attack. Atk/Spd Clash is a sidegrade to Catch and is great for drawing first blood, but it's going to get harder to use effectively the more the enemies get in your face, to say nothing of terrain restrictions.

Brave Tiki was expected to be filled out to use our shiny new Dist. Counter (D) seal, and that's precisely what we got. She's a Special spammer that cannot be stopped from Special spamming, and even if said Special is merely Glimmer, going off potentially with every attack she makes is powerful. Defensively she's somewhat comparable to Fallen Rhea, trading Armor and Anti Follow-Up for Infantry and Auto Follow-Up. Unfortunately a good chunk of her viability comes from her inheritable Atk/Res Finish skill, which while good still basically makes her Fallen Rhea with extra steps, and it's hard to judge a unit for a skill that everyone can inherit.

Brave Chrom is an oddity, gaining power by stapling other units' non-stat buffs to himself. What makes this potentially horrifying is that there's no restrictions on what buffs he can pick up, such as Claude's Fallen Star or Harmonic Roy's Treachery, which is a cool gimmick. What aggravates me about his kit is Inf. Spd Tactic, which is gimped simply by being A Tactic Skill™ which have been falling out of favor due to Menace skills, while Infantry Null-Follow already exists without Tactic restrictions. It's workable if you use a mixed team that doesn't break the Tactic rules, but it honestly feels like this skill was tacked on as an afterthought so Chrom would have a buff to copy with his PRF Assist.

My Unit Rating: Tiki > Chrom > Byleth > Seliph
My Skill Rating: Atk/Res Finish > Atk/Spd Clash > Inf. Spd Tactic > Spd Preempt

Edited by Some Jerk

Regardless of the outfits themselves, I hope everyone can agree that the art is absolutely stellar on all five Heroes we saw today. They all look amazing! Byleth's in the Sothis Regalia as I expected, but thankfully the artist didn't just cram the design full of fanservice and call it a day as I feared (for now at least, her damaged art could be some S!Nifl tier weirdness for all we know). Her floating like Sothis is a neat touch too. As for A!Tiki, I can't believe all the "IS spite" memes came true but again: the art itself is stellar and the outfit could lead to some wholesome moments in her FB (also, DCD is a perfect fit for her to no one's surprise). Seliph as a whole is wholesome as ever and while I'm sad that Chrom stole his daughter's weapon type again, at least he's on a horse and didn't overwrite her niche of providing Breath to everyone (for as viable as that still is).

I don't have anything to add on the technical front (especially since @Some Jerk said everything I wanted to and much, much more just above me), but meta or not everyone's kits look fun to try out if nothing else: I think this is the first time I've been interested in an entire CYL roster since CYL1!

I seem to remember Adult Tiki being pretty against being stuffed in her younger clothes...
Gonna be honest, doesn't really look like her old clothes went up that many sizes.

Otherwise I'm kind of indifferent to the outfits this year. None of them really stand out as spectacular to me. But then the outfits are only half the story, so as for the units themselves...

• Between all the tools given to her, Byleth wants her Special to be going off every single combat, and her Special in turn is what lets her live. Seems like a very fast Bow unit could break through her very easily just by virtue of not letting her Preempt effect trigger, but then her default kit is looking at a maximum of 57 Spd with an additional +8 from debuffs, so outpacing her is gonna be pretty difficult without some help...
    Or just nuke her dead with a melee unit.
  • Seliph is taking LegSigurd's original game of boosted Movement range and runs with it... literally. The new Clash effect is basically just begging for Seliph to be moving the furthest distance he can to nuke the enemy in the back, which sounds great... just need to work around the fact that nearly every map these days HATES cavalry units. He also retains the Miracle effect, but Seliph otherwise is lacking in defensive effects, so nuking him with magic should be possible. Reinhardt anyone...?
  • Tiki is pretty loaded with good effects, notably completely disabling the opponents Special Trigger on their first attack (don't think this is prevented with Tempo either)
    There's really not much to say otherwise, Tiki just got loaded down with effects that intend to make her nearly impossible to kill. Which... makes it ironic that she's Green, because now she's superduper weak to Mar-mar...
  • Chrom is in direct competition with Eirika from last year... why did they do this.
    Compared to her, Chrom gets a bonus to his stats equal to the number of bonuses and penalties on him (excluding stat bonuses and penalties), has higher damage reduction on the first attack, has Special Acceleration if he has a bonus, can literally borrow all of an allies bonuses, and STILL HAS THAT GODDAMN SPECIAL REPOSITION. His Atk appears to be higher than her, with equal Spd.
    Eirika has, over him, Cav effectiveness, unitNFU, Tempo, and deals extra Special damage based on a percentage of her enemies Def. One of these things Chrom is easily built to get himself however, thanks to Inf. Spd Tactic.
    ...Chrom has never been a unit I like, but this is frankly just rude to me specifically.

...so I'll be getting Tiki for free. Even if they're all meant to be overpowered as all hell, I don't care about 3 of them. Tiki is really the only one I like.
...oh man, imagine the HP recovery Valentine FemRobin could get with a Finish skill...!

Edited by Xenomata

1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

Or just nuke her dead with a melee unit.

Who knows, we may get DC (M) someday to help with this (unless she gets one-shot, of course).

P.S. Appearance-wise, if anyone's read or seen Yona of the Dawn, does Byleth's silhouette from the start of the trailer look familiar at all?

He also retains the Miracle effect

I forgot to mention this in my last post, but I like that he blends both his own and his dad's skills. Also, his Prf is nerfed a little compared to L!Sigurd, right? Seliph doesn't get the movement for free (as a passive effect of a Special) and can only boost his own, which I appreciate.

Chrom is in direct competition with Eirika from last year... why did they do this.

Yeah, that worried me too. Eirika is much simpler to use, but Chrom has FAR more potential, especially if he can copy bonuses like Fallen Star and extra movement. Eirika had a good run, at least. (Also, if CYL Heroes keep raising the bar like this, maybe CYL4 and 5 refines won't be too far fetched a concept after all).

The weird thing is that they put him in the same patch as Jeralt, who is also a lance cav and even with a Prf is destined to be nowhere near as good as this guy. I'm happy Jeralt's in of course, and CYL is a good place to add someone as hyped up as him, but it feels like such a weird choice to put both of them together. On the other hand, if Chrom was on foot he'd be even more in competition with B!Lucina. Hmm...

Which... makes it ironic that she's Green, because now she's superduper weak to Mar-mar...

That's so sad, wow xD

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I find it funny that Chrom has Surge Sparrow on his base kit, but no Special to use it with, because he has an exclusive Assist skill and they were definitely not going to give up one his of passive skills to fit in a Special.

His weapon's effect clearly says he's designed to be running Aether, though.

3 hours ago, Some Jerk said:

Chrom as a Paladin again but with a Lance instead,

He has a horse like a Paladin, but his outfit is his Great Lord outfit.

3 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Gonna be honest, doesn't really look like her old clothes went up that many sizes.

I think her skirt is actually longer than young Tiki's.

3 hours ago, Xenomata said:

His Atk appears to be higher than her, with equal Spd.

Eirika is actually 1 point faster with max Dragonflower investment since she has the same base Spd, but 5 more Dragonflowers. However, Chrom has an open B skill that can be used to boost Spd, whereas Eirika doesn't.

Meanwhile, Chrom has a 1-point advantage in Atk compared to Eirika with max Dragonflower investment, but Moonlight Bangle's damage boost on Special activation blows that out of the water. Unless Chrom is able to stack at least 3 non-stat Bonuses or Penalties on himself, Eirika actually has higher effective Atk against most opponents (+12 damage against opponents with 30 Def when running Luna, and Luna does the same damage as Aether), and Chrom needs even more stacks if the opponent has a more respectable Def stat.

I found this kind of amusing.

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

Seliph doesn't get the movement for free (as a passive effect of a Special) and can only boost his own, which I appreciate.

He doesn't get the movement for free, but it's very close to free since it only requires starting the turn with an ally within 2 spaces of him.

Who knows, we may get DC (M) someday to help with this (unless she gets one-shot, of course).

Preempt not activating against melee units prevents her from getting her damage reduction on the opponent's first attack, and melee units are very much capable of burning through 39/26 base physical bulk in a single hit. That's only 65 bulk at +0+0 or 75 bulk at +10+5.

75 Atk is pretty easy for offensive units to reach these days. Summer Nifl hits 70 Atk with no merges, no Dragonflowers, no Asset, no Sacred Seal, and with only one stack of Catch active.

Edited by Ice Dragon

31 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The width of his face in his idle art, perhaps?

Something about his face/hair feels off, I'm not exactly sure what.

My thoughts from last night:

Chrom is back with Kozaki's art, and he's NOT a red unit!

Sothis Regalia Byleth is looking great also!

Tiki, I will admit, isn't my favorite. Instead of doing something more akin to her Awakening style, they just stuck her in her Shadow Dragon outfit. Not surprising, but somewhat disappointing.

Seliph makes his father's outfight work! (Something that sadly can't be said for everyone.)

Overall, Chrom and Byleth are the clear winners to me. I can't wait to summon them!

25 minutes ago, Othin said:

Something about his face/hair feels off, I'm not exactly sure what.

I noticed that too. I think his face is a little off and his hair is a little shorter than usual. Or at least that's how it looked to me. 

4 hours ago, Xenomata said:

I seem to remember Adult Tiki being pretty against being stuffed in her younger clothes...

Lucina
Perfect! That's it! Why don't you try dressing up as you did when you were a child?

Tiki
Er... Why, exactly?

Lucina
I remember an old scroll noting that as a child, your visage healed the masses. Seeing you as an adorable child warmed their hearts and eased their sorrows. 

Tiki
Honestly, the dreck these scribes come up with...

Lucina
Even now, people speak of it! The wonder of seeing a charming girl suddenly transform into a godly dragon!

Tiki
I wonder if I'll ever understand the tastes of humans...

Lucina > Tiki

Tiki

Lucina

Tiki

Lucina
Tiki, I...I don't really know what to, uh...I'm sorry...

Tiki
Yes, well, that's quite enough dress-up for now. Or ever.

Lucina
I was so focused on faithfully re-creating the outfit you wore in the past, I...I suppose I failed to anticipate how silly children's clothes would look on an adult.

Tiki
Silly? I think that was a far cry from just silly, Lucina. Did you never stop to wonder how I would even fit into clothes that small?

Lucina
I'm so, so sorry... Although it WAS you who decided to force your way into them anyway...

Tiki
What was that?

Lucina
N-nothing! I said nothing...

Tiki
Good. Honestly, three millennia alive, and I've never been so humiliated.

From the Harvest Scramble DLC. I thought it was Anna's vile scheme, but no, I remembered incorrectly.

25 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm so, so sorry... Although it WAS you who decided to force your way into them anyway...

So... she tried them on anyways? And of her own volition? I don't know about anyone else, but my tsundere senses are tingling.

Why is there no fanart of this? I can find big Tiki in small Tiki's clothes, but not big Tiki in small-Tiki-sized small Tiki's clothes. This is relevant to my interests.

It's kind of hilarious how they seem to be trying to make lance!Lucina the canon version of her. Chrom looks good, Seliph did make me "aww." Byleth was a disappointment, but eh. I'm not super invested in this batch. Seliph's skill combo is interesting, so maybe I'll grab him as my free unit. It's either him or Chrom.

That said, I guess the outfits make sense. But seriously, I would have preferred Byleth's outfit to be based on Jeralt or her mom. Why Sothis again? We already get a bunch of Byleth+Sothis stuff. And Seliph being based more on his mom would have been more unique and interesting. And Tiki could have had an outfit based on her mom, too. Or Marth. Or Bantu (as others suggested -- I didn't come up with that one myself.) Any of these would have given some more variety than what they wound up going with. Oh well.

At least Jeralt is finally getting into the game! 😄

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I think her skirt is actually longer than young Tiki's.

I mean, if it were any shorter we'd be staring right at manakete underwear, and while that might bring in the dough, it miiiiiiiiiiight be called into question...

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

From the Harvest Scramble DLC. I thought it was Anna's vile scheme, but no, I remembered incorrectly.

At least all Anna actually wanted to do was exploit Tiki's fame for cash, Lucina's brand of evil is far worse... she totally fashion-oblivious.

57 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Why is there no fanart of this? I can find big Tiki in small Tiki's clothes, but not big Tiki in small-Tiki-sized small Tiki's clothes. This is relevant to my interests.

...nope nothing to see here.

I am kinda in the crowd of not being too excited for the banner. I could use Tiki because I basically have no dragons beyond Ymir. I don't even use Sigurd now, so don't know that I would use Seliph. Chrom could be fun so I could maybe try to do an all Chrom team at some point. And Sothis, I mean Byleth is....meh. So, I guess go Chrom!?

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Lucina > Tiki

Tiki

Lucina

Tiki

Lucina
Tiki, I...I don't really know what to, uh...I'm sorry...

Tiki

Yes, well, that's quite enough dress-up for now. Or ever.

Lucina
I was so focused on faithfully re-creating the outfit you wore in the past, I...I suppose I failed to anticipate how silly children's clothes would look on an adult.

Tiki
Silly? I think that was a far cry from just silly, Lucina. Did you never stop to wonder how I would even fit into clothes that small?

Lucina

Tiki
What was that?

Lucina
N-nothing! I said nothing...

Tiki
Good. Honestly, three millennia alive, and I've never been so humiliated.

Okay, this is straight up adorable and I love it xD

8 hours ago, Mercakete said:

But seriously, I would have preferred Byleth's outfit to be based on Jeralt or her mom. Why Sothis again? We already get a bunch of Byleth+Sothis stuff.

Pre-reveal, my inner cynic thought it would be for fanservice, but the art we got is surprisingly modest (points for keeping her belly window covered at all times). All I have left is to suggest is the other half of my Byleth crack theory, that "Jeralt" is being saved for M!Byleth (probably with his sword from Three Hopes, if I had to keep guessing).

8 hours ago, Mercakete said:

At least Jeralt is finally getting into the game! 😄

My thoughts exactly!

9 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

One of her Cipher arts has her waking up and her PJs are close to this. Does that count?

18 hours ago, Florete said:

After the reception to Marianne and Gatekeeper was not exactly positive, it looks like they decided to just make everyone a combat unit.

I was hoping for Byleth to be wearing Jeralt's uniform, but I guess since they put Jeralt himself here it would be weird to have two people in the same outfit. She kind of looks like what brave Marianne would have been if the latter hadn't bothered with trying to play support and instead went full offense. Also, her combat pose references the scene where she merges with Sothis.

Seliph looks like Sigurd.

Ya know, I'm not that mad myself about Tiki's outfit, but I can see why people are. She got voted because fans were tired of IS seeming to just ignore adult Tiki in favor of young Tiki, yet they basically just made her young Tiki anyway. Even her map sprite basically looks like young Tiki.

Chrom is Legendary/Duo all over again, but on a horse.

Are you surprised? Anything that is slow and infantry or flying is dead at arrivel unless they have an insane exclusiv weapon/ skill / duo skill etc

I mean you can burry almost every slow infantry unit without any ofvthe above the investment just not worth it

Edited by Hilda

Nice of Byleth to have Marianne's slot B and slot C skills built into her weapon... Really hoping that Marianne's refine next year gives her Wings of Mercy, because not having NFU is pretty rough.

Normally I would do the multiple sparks, but I think I'm going to chill this year. Hopefully the first 40 summons gives me something so that I can have at least 3 of them. I'm kind of considering +10ing Tiki later. I don't have an invested omni tank unit, and this would make up for me half assing my investment with base Adult Tiki.

3 minutes ago, LoneStar said:

I'm kind of considering +10ing Tiki later.

Green is theoretically the easiest color to pull on, so I hope you can pull this off, LoneStar! I'm liking the idea more and more myself, but I'm definitely taking my time with that. It's been a year and my Orbs still haven't recovered from my getting B!Eirika to +10 on her debut banner.

Green is theoretically the easiest color to pull on, so I hope you can pull this off, LoneStar! I'm liking the idea more and more myself, but I'm definitely taking my time with that. It's been a year and my Orbs still haven't recovered from my getting B!Eirika to +10 on her debut banner.

Yeah, I'm thinking about this too. I reckon that green is usually the easiest  but I'm gonna wait until someone do a summoning odds post before starting to summon (or rather, before picking my free unit, to be more precise)

2 hours ago, Hilda said:

Are you surprised? Anything that is slow and infantry or flying is dead at arrivel unless they have an insane exclusiv weapon/ skill / duo skill etc

I mean you can burry almost every slow infantry unit without any ofvthe above the investment just not worth it

Am I surprised about what? Making them all direct combat units? No, I'm not.

2 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Does that count?

The clothes are still pretty similar in size to Brave Tiki's.

2 hours ago, Hilda said:

That's not an issue with infantry and fliers. It's an issue with all slow units that aren't sword, dragon, or armored.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention this last night, but the character introductions are all up, so you can see all of their art.

And they had to censor Tiki's art for YouTube. See if you can spot it. I'm dying because it's so silly.

Edited by Ice Dragon

This is the first year I'm not exactly sure if I should spark or just do free summons and save orbs.

I could go for one spark here or I could spend the orbs on the legendary banner to fish some merges on some legendary/mythic units I'm building (L!Corrin specially, as she is my only core Wind Legendary for the moment and only at +4). Ash and Thorr are also merge projects.

If I decide to spark, I'm not sure who I should go for. Everyone seems a little bit interesting on their own merits, and that would also depend on who I can pull before the spark, but right now I think I'd go with Chrom. 

If I'm not decided till the banner is up, I'll farm the tickets and do a coin flip.