How would you like to see reclassing handled in the next main line game?

ciphertul

4 hours ago, LJ_Reflet said:

It also is likely an Echoes-esque class system could return, where it's multi-tiered and reclassing could be through an exclusive/limited item. I'd enjoy a class system like Echoes as long as each reclass is available for all units instead of male-only and female-only.

I’m personally against this. I hated only having like 3 reclasses max for non-dread fighters. I would rather have no reclass then it.

4 hours ago, LJ_Reflet said:

Also, unpopular opinion: Did anyone else like overclasses in Echoes? Cause I did and I would actually like to see something like overclasses to return LOL.

I liked the idea of overclass but if they where to return I think you would need to keep the character’s unique colors instead of a set model.

On 9/18/2022 at 9:13 PM, ciphertul said:

I’m personally against this. I hated only having like 3 reclasses max for non-dread fighters. I would rather have no reclass then it.

Oh, I honestly disliked having limited reclasses as well. What I originally meant from my other post was for each character to have possible reclass access to any playable class available rather than from a limited pool of gendered classes. (and tbf I've played Echoes like 3 times with the gender-lock removed so I had way more options LOL)

Of course, giving a character access to any class available may make them lose their niche/uniqueness, which is why I was suggesting another pitchfork-like item in limited availability.

I personally thought Fates has the best reclass system.

DSFE was cool for testing the mechanic, but felt boring and removed a lot of uniqueness from units that were already not very unique. It is fun for runs with self-enforced rules tho. Wouldn't like to see it again.

Awakening was too much and unrestricted. Each first gen unit having two class options wasn't bad but once you got to Robin and the child units it was too much, plus resetting to level 1 every time was too overpowered.

Shadows of Valentia barely had one since it was restricted to three times per play through plus for anyone who was a Merc. Despite how it wasn't really a thing, it was still cool and allowed for some customisation.

I like Three Houses' reclass method, however it's a Three Houses only thing imo. Unless we got a tutoring system return, I don't see requiring a certain weapon skill level to class change working outside of Three Houses, and I would prefer if we left it there even if I enjoyed it lol.

Fates, as I said had my favourite. Having one reclass per character was nice as it still allowed the unit to be unique, then with the ability to unlock more via friendship/marriage was cool and allowed for good customisation without being too much. Kids also didn't end up super OP like in Awakening by only getting two reclass options rather than every class from their parents. Also it was a nice touch giving Corrinsexuals two reclass options as well to make up for not being able to get friendship (outside of Gunter who can get Troubadour from Jakob)/marriage (if they don't marry Corrin) classes.

Edited by Azz

Whenever this question comes up I just default to Fates. It's really just the perfect reclassing system in my eyes. Everyone gets one alternative class. Through certain later game methods you can get a other but generally everyone has their main class and their alternative class. I feel that's all a character really needs. Let all characters be any class like in the DS game and characters kind of lose identity. A class says something about a character, so ha ing two classes tailored for the character just works for me, both in gameplay and in subtle storytelling.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like a lot of people dislike the Three Houses system, with the common complaint that it makes units too "samey". It's actually my favorite system, and I don't think that's a problem at all. Allow me to explain.

Let's say your party consists of a cavalry, armor, and mage. With no reclassing, you're stuck with those classes. The units might be distinct, but your party is the same every time.

With limited reclassing, let's say every unit gets 2 possibilities. The number of combinations is 2^3 = 8.

With free reclassing (assuming there's only 3 classes), there's 3^3 = 27 possibilities. The units might feel samey, but your party becomes incredibly diverse. In particular, focused strategies like all-cavalry or all-flier are only possible under a Three Houses system.

There's generally a tradeoff between unit diversity and party diversity, and I'd take party diversity over unit diversity any day.

Concrete example: my Three Houses party generally consists of a squad of bow knights, bow fliers, and magic users. The strategy is 100% player-phase focused, and relies on hit-and-run tactics and outranging the enemy in order to never get hit. It's not the "meta", but I find it more interesting, especially in maps with terrain and obstacles, where I could outright cheese many enemy formations. It's really only in a Three Houses system, where, if you have a vision, you can go and create it.

focused strategies like using certain unit type/class is a valid gameplay style ofc, but what makes it different than playing game like Wars series or equivalent war strategy war game where someone stubbornly only want to create and deploy certain unit only? and i've done that too, by using only planes and heli only in a certain war games.

but then theres no reason to differentiate FE and Wars series (both by IS) anymore if FE becomes like that. unit with face no longer different with faceless unit

or IS shoud've just make another wars series instead FE