What's with the stat caps? How does a level reset help??

Right, so I have a Lv 105 Shez, with all capped stats, all in the 120s (except for his 140 spd), mainly due to 3 playthroughs, and cramming him full of stat boosters at every opportunity. I also have a fully expanded tactics facility, and enabled the stat limit tactic for him.

I understand that resetting your level retains bonuses from these boosters, but resets points gained via level up. What I don't understand, is the benefit from doing this. Does the caps increase when you reset? Or will I eventually reach a point where I've woofed down enough boosters to not lose any points upon my next reset? How high do these stats really go?

In short, there's no real benefit from resetting a character's level.
-- Sure, you can technically min-max by making sure the characters is in the right class before leveling, but I personally don't find this worth it.
-- Also, one can just reset levels just for the fun of it (making oneself weaker on purpose), or to try a high IQ play by utilizing the Underdog ability while at level 1.

From my understanding, leveling is a mix of fixed gains (character based) and RNG gains (class based).
-- So, characters will mostly turn out the same with some variance at max level due to what classes they used. (See Archeleon's builds and IonicAmalgam's calculations in the Build Thread for a better idea of this.)

I personally tried resetting my max level Claude in an attempt to get better stats, but as I'm still busy using my Gold to forge weapons, I can't easily min-max stats through leveling.
-- Also, I prefer just running through the campaigns again to get stat boosters (Renown, Anna's Shop, Survey Locations). Getting more usage out of the Training Grounds is nice too.

Edited by Sire

2 hours ago, Tony X said:

I see. So is it safe to assume that resetting my weapon that I forged to +100 equally pointless? I'd sure hate to use all that gold and umbral stones a second time.

+100? I haven't really invested that much. I can say that +36 or so is enough for Hard; not sure about Maddening, though.

Resetting weapon is for if you upgraded it before you maxed the blacksmith, otherwise no reason to.

Reset level ups is for if you had particularly bad RNG (which is entirely possible), generally not needed otherwise since you can get so many stat bonus items. It's only useful if you want to do it PRIOR to using stat boosters to minimize number of stat boosters needed.

Below is a probability chart, if all you are looking for is a 95% confidence (right most column), then you have a 95% chance of getting the minimum bonus class stats in 0-1 resets, and a 99% chance with 2 resets (3 level 1->120 attempts).

• Based on the chart below, there is an 81-85% chance a character will reach the right most column growths without any resets.
  • Which means that on average 1/5 characters should get RNG screwed.
  • By resetting those 1/5 characters in your roster once, you reduce the number of characters in your roster that are RNG screwed from 15-19% to 5%.
  • By resetting the remaining 5% of characters again, you have only a 1% chance of a character being RNG screwed
  • Afterwards you can use your stat ups on your characters

image.thumb.png.34651d78845316e96e2414dce5f6d425.png

Edited by IonicAmalgam

On 9/9/2022 at 8:54 AM, IonicAmalgam said:

Resetting weapon is for if you upgraded it before you maxed the blacksmith, otherwise no reason to.

One of the most utterly baffling design decisions of this game is the fact that when you can't forge a weapon further, the game asks whether you want to reset it (which you should basically never do) as opposed to reforge it (which you want to do a lot). Actually I'm a bit confused as to why reforging even exists.

On 9/8/2022 at 5:36 PM, Armchair General said:

+100? I haven't really invested that much. I can say that +36 or so is enough for Hard; not sure about Maddening, though.

I'm getting through Maddening without problems with weapons very far from +100 (closer to half that). The power level you can reach in this game is definitely overkill (which, to be fair, is hardly unusual for an RPG... but does feel unusual for a Warriors game to me, since the others I've played seemed to always have stronger and stronger content).

On 9/12/2022 at 3:17 AM, Dark Holy Elf said:

One of the most utterly baffling design decisions of this game is the fact that when you can't forge a weapon further, the game asks whether you want to reset it (which you should basically never do) as opposed to reforge it (which you want to do a lot). Actually I'm a bit confused as to why reforging even exists.

It exists for one thing: If you haven't gotten those forging weapon bonuses when you upgraded a weapon like a Relic, the Relic's stats will be lower. Once you got those bonuses, reseting a weapon lets you get them onto the weapon.

8 hours ago, Moondrag said:

It exists for one thing: If you haven't gotten those forging weapon bonuses when you upgraded a weapon like a Relic, the Relic's stats will be lower. Once you got those bonuses, reseting a weapon lets you get them onto the weapon.

I think we crossed wires a bit here. You're talking about resetting the weapon. I understand why that exists (you explained it well), even though the game shouldn't ask you to do it as often as it does, since doing it by accident would be just awful.

I was talking about reforging, where you randomly have to leave the current forge screen, go to another menu option, and pay a bit of money for the right to go back to forging the same weapon again. All I can think of is that it encourages you to forge a weapon by no more than a certain amount at a time, which maybe soft-encourages you to focus on forging different weapons instead of piling all your resources into one? But the cost system already encourages that.

14 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I think we crossed wires a bit here. You're talking about resetting the weapon. I understand why that exists (you explained it well), even though the game shouldn't ask you to do it as often as it does, since doing it by accident would be just awful.

I was talking about reforging, where you randomly have to leave the current forge screen, go to another menu option, and pay a bit of money for the right to go back to forging the same weapon again. All I can think of is that it encourages you to forge a weapon by no more than a certain amount at a time, which maybe soft-encourages you to focus on forging different weapons instead of piling all your resources into one? But the cost system already encourages that.

Oh yeah the reforging thing is pretty dumb. Granted once you get the option to reforge you can just spam it until it's caps are at /50 for Mt and /50 for Dur without needing to forge it up again (Assuming you have the mats and money)