0.000000009313% chance

Visionare

So, we all know Raven, right? Mercenary, redhead, kinda weird, but a really good unit. Well, I was playing recently, grinding arenas with him, and when he hit level 20 I thought his defense was rather low. Sitting at a 6 (see picture) and starting at a 5 at level 5, I thought he must surely have bad odds for gaining it, but never thought this bad. He has a 25% chance at a defense gain each level, and across 15 levels, that would be (1/4)^15 chance for only one point to be gained. That's a 0.0000000093% chance of happening! Literally lower odds than winning the lottery. Am I that unlucky or has anyone else gotten super stat screwed?

20220909_135119.jpg

Edited by Visionare
e: someone updated me on the stats, and it's actually 6.7%, sp thanks for the correction!

Your maths is way off. (1/4)^15 would be the probability of a unit with a 75% growth rate getting no stat ups over the course of 15 levels. For a 25% growth rate, the actual numbers should be (1-0.25)^14 * 0.25^1 * 15choose1. Which is about 6.7%. Still pretty unlucky, but nowhere near as bad as you thought.

It's (3/4)^15 ;): So not nearly as unlikely - about 1.3%, or 1 in 75.
0.0000000093% would be the likelyhood of him gaining Def every single level.

e: Ninja'ed and I missed that he did gain Def once. Good job, me :lol:

Edited by ping

1 hour ago, lenticular said:

Your maths is way off. (1/4)^15 would be the probability of a unit with a 75% growth rate getting no stat ups over the course of 15 levels. For a 25% growth rate, the actual numbers should be (1-0.25)^14 * 0.25^1 * 15choose1. Which is about 6.7%. Still pretty unlucky, but nowhere near as bad as you thought.

Oop my bad, did the math on the fly lol. Thank ya for the correction.

That does remind me of this:

1itHZKN.png

In 18 levels, Elen gained just one Magic in spite of her 50% growth- That's a 0.007% chance of happening and more or less one in fourteen thousand.

Pain.

Edited by Benice

On 9/9/2022 at 9:54 PM, Eltosian Kadath said:

Reminds of this sad little Florina that I tend to show off every now and thenAL9nZEUh-_jGMEnexePWxQjCy6rz--pdYrwZvPZH

Poor thing hasn't raised strength once in those 11 levels I got her, she even has lower strength than if I had skipped Lyn mode; ~0.36% chance of that happening...

Damn that sucks. Seems kinda low on RES too IMHO so cant even attack mages either