Nintendo Direct 9/13/22

Fabulously Olivier

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts: Direct was amazing overall. Lots of good stuff. Idk if this is the main forum for FE 17 but I will just leave my thoughts here I guess. Game actually got me hyped. I think graphics look way better, characters look cool (we have cool jagen-like character again!!) I saw a female unit doing martial arts (it might just be brawling but regardless) its amazing!! Maps and UI look cleaner and CLEAR, not super small text like in TH. Idk why Marth and everyone is here but it seems to just be an ability thing and not too related to the story?.... I think? .... Maps looked pretty fun already and way more nicer to look at. I got a classic vibe from the camera and map layout. I felt a lot of Awakening/Fates leaking into this game. I mean the cinematic CG designers are back from Awakening, taking a break from FEH finally lol. The art style is very Genshin Impact-ish. And super tacky MC with super evil looking villain all screams FATES to me lol Regardless I'm excited, game looks super fun and a lot of cute waifus so far 👀

Okay, so here are my thoughts.

* Overall art design is good, clean, and a good step for the franchise that will hold up well without needing heavy graphical prowess. It'll age well. Environments look good.

* The new character designs specifically, on the other hand, are actually atrocious. I hate them all. Especially Alear. They aren't Fire Emblem. I haven't been this visually unenthused with a cast since Conquest.

* Old characters look GREAT.

* Characters seem to be specifically paired with lords in cutscenes, but allow for flexibility in gameplay. That's good. I see great potential for dlc via more Emblem rings.

* This isn't FEH. It's mainline TMS. Marth is a Persona.

* Gameplay looks slick and this may be very enjoyable on that front. 

* Story will probably be Heroes or FEW1 levels of vapid fanfiction, judging by the synopsis.

Thoughts:

Overall the Direct was lackluster. Why have like 3 or 4 farmings sims? Pikmin 4 did not excite at all. I mean, not like Pikmin 3 was exciting at all. Or 2. Not even sure why they're making a Pikmin 4? I want Prime 4, not Pikmin 4!!!! lol. Bayonetta is ok, if you like those sorts of games. Octopath 2 looks phenomenal. And BOTW2/Tears of the Kingdom? What was the point of that trailer? It's even less intriguing then the previous BOTW2 trailer (with that dried up, skeletal Ganondorf coming to life). Not a good way to end the direct, I don't think.

And on to Fire Emblem:

I said this in another thread, but... I hate the art direction of the game. Wayyyyyyy too much "anime". Like my avatar, Archsage Athos, wouldn't fit at all in the style and direction that this new FE is going. It's too childish. The female characters all have increasingly annoying and high-pitched voices. They look weak and are too girly. The main character looks kind of like a clown, with such a generic "woke up from a coma with amnesia" backstory.

Which leads me to the story. Fell Dragon? Really? Coming from 3 Houses which was such a step in the right direction with complex political intrigue, to some obviously even gray-skinned dragon demon guy. Yeah. Ok.

I dunno, I was let down. And I had no expectations.

-New Fire Emblem, awesome. I was a little skeptical of the leaks, but happy we're getting a new game. I'm not a fan of the character designs so far, especially the main protagonist, but I like the music and the graphics look good. I also like seeing protagonists from earlier games more than I thought I would. Especially Marth! I'm very, VERY happy to see him featured so prominently. Seeing the meltdowns about it is also...entertaining.

-Octopath Traveler 2? Unexpected, but awesome! I like the first game, I hope this one is even better.

-Finally, finally a concrete release date and a name for the next Zelda. I hope we get more story details soon, the drip-feed has been painful.

Overall, good Direct. Like a fair bit of what was shown.

It's been so long since a general direct with 1st and other party devs involved. Regardless, I was busy so missed it live, let's watch now.

I did get spoiled on FE Engage and BotW2 having a title

Spoiler

First off we get a Fodlan looking mural to start about the land of Elios, with a four nations theme and a fell dragon- yeah this is FE. Then we get the word that Emblems, warriors of other worlds saved the day and that's the leak, that's it, that's console FEH. It's confirmed that the dragon fell and that now the Binding (their words) weakens now. Then we get Pepsi Crest-con but male, staring at a dragon and then someone who might be Azura? Someone with Corrin's dragon aesthetic to my eyes, some other new characters and we see a ring call on Marth. Then the title of Fire Emblem Engage shows up (first. FE NGAGE lol. Second I think the logo they whipped up sucks. Turns out Pepsi's been asleep for a milennium ((S)He's the hero of legend), there's firey Risen, it's confirmed Toothpaste is a divine dragon and we see some in map combat where it looks a little FEH like in the logos (Concern), we see old man, it looks like you equip these heroes of yore and Crest's name is Alear (RIP our jokes), we get a camp again and Alear's heterochromia is made apparent. There's probably a bunch more to get but we get to see Celica use a Warp Ragnarok (Okay) and another montage with cutscenes and there we go, a game that feels like it could be FEW2, but it's all SRPG boys. It's then confirmed for the 20th of January, somehow sooner and later than expected. As a whole, the music was eh too to be honest. There's a confirmed special edition (Which I legit thought was going to announce a FtP version and I screamed internally in that moment), let's see if I get it half price too.

Next up's It Takes Two, which looks noticably worse than elsewhere (RIP) but so long as it runs well it'll be fine I guess. It's out November 4th. Next is a Fatal Frame remake? prequel? No clue. It's a rerelease anyway, out early next year. Then XC3 DLC, out October, no point in me explaining it, skip. Next is Spongebob Squarepants, another game I have no comment on. Then there's Fitness Boxing: Fist of the North Star, which holy shit how is this the first to do it. Nintendo, get on Ring Fit DBSuper! But yeah, This makes a ton of sense. After that is Oddballers, which looks like another party game but it has fun with it. Tunic shows up next (I know it looks better elsewhere, RIP) and it's out in 2 weeks. Front Mission is finally getting more news and 1 and 2 are coming. They go into the game itself and it finally gets a month release date (November for 1, 2 isn't so lucky but it gets more than 3, which just gets the logo). Story of Seasons A Wonderful Life is next (RIP Harvest Moon, long live Story of Seasons) and it's confirmed for next year.

Next up we have Splatoon 3 stuff, pvp to be precise. Then it's Octopath Traveler 2 up (YOU'RE KIDDING RIGHT?), which looks nice and all but I haven't played 1 so that sucks and the art still looks nice. There's trains and day/night stuff and it gets dated for 24/2/23. Looking at it you mightn't need to play 1 for it I guess. Next we get a game called Fae Farm, which is another farm sim but you directly use magic and it has combat like Stardew Valley. It does seemingly have co-op at least, but it's out next year too. Then it's Theatrhythm Final Bar Line, which is more rhythm FF stuff, I'll admit not my cup. It's out next year February 16th. And it locks Meagalomania behind DLC! Next is Sparks of Hope, which goes into world exploration and sparks being equippable. Final boss looks like it'd fit in with RPG Mario titles, so that's nice. Rune Factory 3 Special gets a port next year and honestly looks not too bad to me. Then there's an ominous line about a new RF series being worked on. What. Following that is NSO N64 titles (which includes Pokemon stadium, which is cool but isn't till next year, which is slow and dumb). Then they reveal Goldeneye (wonder what rights hell had to be dealt with and if the online will work out?)

Another montage, with a game called Various Daylife (Again with the bad titles) where you do odd jobs and fight monsters in the continent. Also it's out today, which WHUT. That sounds like it's a disaster waiting to happen if this is the first bit of news. Then it's Factorio, which has been out for how long on PC now? it's out October 28th. Then there's a sorta 2D horror game called Ib where a girl gets sucked into a weird painting and has to escape, it's out next year. Then there's Mario Strikers getting another update, RIP game. Next is Genshin Impact. Skip. Atelier Ryza 3, so some of us will be happy. As it's another sequel to a series I don't know, I'll leave the fans explain that one. Also is there keyblades? or keys affecting blades? It comes out February 24th. Then there's more MK8 DLC, I sleep. Then we get Nintendo Switch Sports going into Golf finally arriving and is the golf only with holes from the previous games and it got delayed? Boo. Then Miyamoto arrives. He talks about the Mario Movie coming out next Spring and the park going to America. What. And then he swerves into Pikmin. Talks about the mobile game with a full pitch for it. After 3 minutes he says main event. Which is revealled as a world with a big bench and Pikmin 4 finally happening. Okay, what a swerve. It's out for next year.

Next montage time? Just Dance time. It looks like they really want to push it too with this ad. Next is Harvestella, which shows off some of the combat, which looks like it could be solid, shows AI allies joining you and announces a demo. Alright, you got my attention. It gets a date of November 4th. Then it's Bayonetta 3, which goes into the story of the games and shows the characters. It's out October 28th. Next is a game with a corporate city where you solve mysteries and there's some weird Persona stuff going on with the combat being about you beating lies? No idea. It's called Master Detective Archives (Series ambitions I see): Raincode and it's next year's problem. Then there's a cloud release for REVIII (The real horror right there) as well as more HD REs getting the treatment (Just make me a zombie if I ever got for this). Next is a quick montage with Sifu (If this game plays fine on Switch it's nice, but this is also a game which looks well elsewhere), Crisis Core - FFVII - Reunion (That's at least 1 text part too many) which comes out 13th December, Radiant Silvergun (a shmup. which is fine for those who want that) and Endless Dungeon (What's the opinion on this one?).

Tales of Symphonia gets a remaster (does it look like the game has not updated the sound quality for dialogue?) for next year. Next is another montage, with Life is Strange (the collection one, out in 2 weeks), Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song Remastered (I've heard there's issues with this remake,  but this isn't out until December anyway), LEGO Bricktales (Looks like Captain Toad but lego), Disney Speedstorm (Still isnt out) and Fall Guys season 2.  Then there's a release of Kirby Return to Dreamland (Is this good? let me know. It allows you to be a Mecha and is 4 player, including the minigames. But it's February 24th.) Then we get the last trailer. It has an interesting first shot, wonder what that is. Then we get the bokoblins, definitely BotW2. It looks like Zelda crosses hands with a metal arm in the mural, then we get Link opening a door, running and then jumping off a floating island. So BotW2: Skyward Arm? He lands on a giant floating object and then we get the title at last, LoZ: Tears of the Kingdom. And it FINALLY has a date, 12th of May 2023. 

TLDR: FE NGAGE is still here for our memes but I guess there's a game now too, Octopath 2 happened, Pikmin 4 fucking charged in with no warning, Harvestella has deigned to put out a demo, Tears of the Kingdom has a deadline at last and most of the ports are eh. Some other games here I knew would be popular in fairness and Kirby could be good, but I feel a bit mixed personally.

Anyone buy Various Daylife yet? What's it look like?

2 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

* This isn't FEH. It's mainline TMS. Marth is a Persona.

And thus we begin paying for the sins of FE Heroes. In all honesty I can tell that FE Engage is going to be a very controversial game. And the series was just getting back on track with Three Houses. One step forward, three steps back. Emperor I need more whisky. Now where did I put my copy of Thieves’ World again?

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

9 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

In all honesty I can tell that FE Engage is going to be a very controversial game.

I admit the premise is definitely... unexpected, but I'm willing to wait until we know more before condemning it. If we get more trailers and it seems more and more like Fates 2, then yeah: I'm probably out (or at the very least keeping the "refund" button close to hand).

Also, while I'm happy Zelda has a fixed date, I'm not ignoring the possibility of it being delayed again, just keeping everyone's hopes in check.

P.S. This could just be a lazy graphics thing, but the card pack in the Divine Edition only lists 12 cards, to go with the mural of 12 Heroes. Hmm...

Edited by DefyingFates

4 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

The graphics look SO smooth and everything looks so bright and colorful!! The gimmick of summoning Heroes (and merging with them?) seems like a logical extension of both FEH and TMS' USPs, which has my interest. So... when do we get a new subforum? Do we ask @eclipse?

The funny thing is, when the direct started I wondered if it was a new JRPG from Monolith Soft for some reason, but as soon as the narrator started talking about kingdoms and the like I told myself "No, this sounds like a Fire Emblem." I think it helped that the leaks mentioned the Atelier staff was working on this, so the softer art style didn't throw me off.

Alas I don't do new subforums.

7 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I admit the premise is definitely... unexpected, but I'm willing to wait until we know more before condemning it. If we get more trailers and it seems more and more like Fates 2, then yeah: I'm probably out (or at the very least keeping the "refund" button close to hand).

I’ve seen everything I need.

1 hour ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

-Octopath Traveler 2? Unexpected, but awesome! I like the first game, I hope this one is even better.

If the mobile Octopath game is any indication, OT2 is either going to have an amazing story or it's going to be a train wreck.  Probably both, if it keeps with the theme of "eight different people with eight different goals".

8 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

I’ve seen everything I need.

Cool, so you'll keep out of any further discussion?

---

I'm not sure how I feel about what I've seen.  I like the 3H-style graphics, and it's cool to see Marth/Sigurd like that.  I'm not sure how I feel about another dragon as a protagonist.  Nor am I really thrilled with the side characters.

Perhaps the coolest thing was seeing the archer on the roof.  Wonder if they'll get bonuses for being on advantageous terrain?

4 hours ago, Florete said:

Looks like Engage has no weapon triangle again. Unfortunate.

Someone else probably answered this, by now and I'm too lazy to read the thread. But the trailer does indicate that there is one at 1:40. Although, given how powerful the MC is within what is presumably the second level, I doubt if it'll matter much

Edited by Armchair General

My Thoughts:

Fire Emblem Engage: I honestly can't tell what this is supposed to be. Is this supposed to be a mainline game or a spinoff of some sort. The use of classic turn-based combat would suggest a mainline game, but so much of it suggests that it can't be a mainline game: the generic premise, the zombie-monster armies, having any excuse to insert characters from all the previous FE games... I just described Awakening; didn't I?

In all seriousness, Awakening got away with those things because it was supposed to be a "Fire Emblem Greatest Hits" in case it ended up being the last game in the series. This new game is following the massive success of Three Houses; the only reasons I can think of to do this would be either to be a spinoff or to be the opposite of Three Houses. I don't know what to think of it: if it's a spinoff, then it looks neat; if it's supposed to be a mainline game, I'm a bit underwhelmed, but I'll have to wait and see.

On a positive note, this game does seem to at least be including characters from all the past FE games and not just Shadow Dragon and the most recent games; I know I saw an image of Micaiah, and Sigurd was shown multiple times, so that's good.

Incidentally; the trailer made it sound like the protagonist is a divine dragon that's been asleep for 1,000 years. If that's the case, then I really hope that the character being a dragon doesn't get underutilized (cough Corrin cough).

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom: The poor timing of the name aside, this sounds like a really good subtitle for the Breath of the Wild sequel. It looks like there's going to be more options for fast seamless traversal, which normally I'd be somewhat against in an open-world game as I want to take in everything and navigate carefully, but this game is going to be so extremely big that it needs all the fast transportation it can get.

Still saddened that it looks like Link will be operating solo again this time around. Breath of the Wild ended on Link and Zelda finally reunited after 100 years and setting out together, so I really hoped (and still hope against all odds) that this game would have the two of them adventuring together, sort-of like in Spirit Tracks. The wall artwork in the trailer showing Link and Zelda does give me some added hope at least.

Speaking of the murals, they show what appear to be a lot of left-handed Hylian soldiers, yet they still won't make Link left-handed despite him having been left-handed in every game beside Skyward Sword and BOTW?

As for the rest: I'm not particularly interested. I've heard decent things about Tunic, so I guess a Switch port of that is neat.

Edited by vanguard333

30 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

P.S. This could just be a lazy graphics thing, but the card pack in the Divine Edition only lists 12 cards, to go with the mural of 12 Heroes. Hmm...

How many main lords/characters we got througout the franchise? Marth, Alm, Celica, Roy, Hector/Lyn/Eliwood, Erika/Ephraim, Ike, Micaiah, Chrom/Lucina/Robin, Corrin, Byleth/Edelgard/Dmitri/Claude. Did I miss one? If we take out the Marth copies and their bff Robin as well as the TH squad that´s 12, lest i mathed wrong. The real question is how many versions of Camilla will be ingame. Then again it´s about a MC who is also a dragon - sad times for Corrin/Robin.

The game looks like Awakening but amped up to eleven. And a dash too bright to be easy on the eyes. 

Might elevation be a thing? That Archer looked real snug in that tower. Other than that SoV Witch warp for the player and whose father is Vander?

Edited by Imuabicus

They just had to say "The binding weakens" and then follow that up immediately with a closeup of the red-haired side of the protag's face. If they hadn't established the new continent, the recycled Einherjar concept, or a Fell Dragon rather than a Demon Dragon beforehand; they might have had me there. I also realized this is the first mainline game to actually feature both Marth and Roy, and the first localized mainline game to feature Jugdral lords in an official capacity (Get back in your corner, Awakening Einherjar! You do not count, even if you inspired this. Same with amiibo).

So......we finally have our FE17, our next mainline game, Fire Emblem Engage. ......Not what I was expecting, to say the least. I avoided all leaks, so the first thing I thought when I saw our new protag was, "Why does he look like Alphonse and Roy fusion danced?" Anyways I did enjoy the FE Persona aspect of TMS, so I may pick this one up. Maybe. I'm starting to hate that my old FE bias is showing.

In light of this reveal, I will make a prediction/hope: A bit down the line, between now and the game's release, there will be a Fire Emblem Direct. In no particular order, they will give us the lowdown on Engage, but they will also reveal an Echoes remake slated for say, summer or fall 2023 (I still hold out hope for FE6 remake). If they were able to work on Shadows of Valentia and Three Houses at the same time, then this is very much possible. Yes I know Koei Tecmo co-developed 3H, but that came out two years after SoV. If this direct does not happen before Engage launches... then I suppose I'll have to give up hope on FE6 Echoes for another 3 years...*sigh* just when I thought the stars were perfectly lined up (the set precedent  of SoV director's old statement saying he wanted to make it next, the Roy and Lilina scale figures, FE6 turning 20 this year. It was all coming together...).

Not much to say about the rest of the direct. But oh man, GameXplain and Arlo are gonna (or already have) go apeshit over Pikmin 4. Definitely gonna check out their reactions.

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

13 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Cool, so you'll keep out of any further discussion?

What? No. There’s plenty of things to discuss. From Engage’s generic character design, to its over reliance on previous games and even the cliched trope of the main character having amnesia. Just because I’ve seemingly “defiled the Holy Sepulcher with my heinous heresy” doesn’t mean there aren’t legitimate things to be worried about.

10 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Perhaps the coolest thing was seeing the archer on the roof.  Wonder if they'll get bonuses for being on advantageous terrain?

Yeah, that's an generic fort tile. There might be bonuses involved, but from what I've seen of the map design, terrain isn't as prevalent as it normally is. Hopefully, things will change in the future, though.

11 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Speaking of the murals, they show what appear to be a lot of left-handed Hylian soldiers, yet they still won't make Link left-handed despite him having been left-handed in every game beside Skyward Sword and BOTW?

Maybe there's an advantage towards being right-handed when everyone else is left-handed?

I definitely knew that Fire Emblem Engage leak was real. I'm definitely need to save my future Christmas money and going to pick the game up at launch.

Also, I was expecting something another Tales of Series game related for Nintendo Switch. I'm glad that Tales of Symphonia is coming back to Nintendo consoles. (I definitely wondered if the statue that going replaced to be a Nintendo Switch since was originally had the GameCube for the first release, then the PS2, PS3, & Steam versions had the Sony logo)

Also, I did noticed they showed off Resident Evil Village along with Resident 2 & 3 Remakes in the Direct, but they're Cloud versions. I definitely might wondered if they're not going to get the same issues like what happened to the Nintendo Switch ports of Kingdom Hearts game had since those ports were Cloud Versions as well? (I do wondered if Capcom had problems porting them into Nintendo Switch Cartilages due to Storage Sizes?)

One thing that stood out to me from the trailer is that after the mage girl fused with Celica, it looked like her magic costed HP to cast and she was able to warp across the map like the witches from SoV/Gaiden. That makes me think that fusing with an emblem grants unique skills/mechanics/classes from their original game, and honestly that makes me kinda hype about the gameplay, it has a lot of potential if done right.

30 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

What? No. There’s plenty of things to discuss. From Engage’s generic character design, to its over reliance on previous games and even the cliched trope of the main character having amnesia. Just because I’ve seemingly “defiled the Holy Sepulcher with my heinous heresy” doesn’t mean there aren’t legitimate things to be worried about.

Remember that discussion should be productive, and not just whining that the game doesn't live up to your tastes.

26 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Yeah, that's an generic fort tile. There might be bonuses involved, but from what I've seen of the map design, terrain isn't as prevalent as it normally is. Hopefully, things will change in the future, though.

Ah, darn.  Props to the animators for making it look cool, I guess.

16 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Remember that discussion should be productive, and not just whining that the game doesn't live up to your tastes.

How is stating some issues that I can see with the game “whining”? By that standard there are a few other posts here that could easily be seen as “whining”, such as:

- The new character designs specifically, on the other hand, are actually atrocious. I hate them all. Especially Alear. They aren't Fire Emblem. I haven't been this visually unenthused with a cast since Conquest.

- I said this in another thread, but... I hate the art direction of the game. Wayyyyyyy too much "anime". Like my avatar, Archsage Athos, wouldn't fit at all in the style and direction that this new FE is going. It's too childish. The female characters all have increasingly annoying and high-pitched voices. They look weak and are too girly. The main character looks kind of like a clown, with such a generic "woke up from a coma with amnesia" backstory.

- That will be the first main Fire Emblem game I won't buy/play. If this game can be considered a main game, to be honest...

1 hour ago, Armchair General said:

Maybe there's an advantage towards being right-handed when everyone else is left-handed?

That would be hilarious if true, since the exact opposite was true in our history.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

The poor timing of the name aside

I... just got that and... wow xD

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Still saddened that it looks like Link will be operating solo again this time around. Breath of the Wild ended on Link and Zelda finally reunited after 100 years and setting out together

I'm afraid I didn't think Zelda would ever be playable in a game by "What would Link do?"-Nintendo, but there's a tiny part of me that still wishes I'm wrong too...

1 hour ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

They just had to say "The binding weakens" and then follow that up immediately with a closeup of the red-haired side of the protag's face. If they hadn't established the new continent, the recycled Einherjar concept, or a Fell Dragon rather than a Demon Dragon beforehand; they might have had me there. I also realized this is the first mainline game to actually feature both Marth and Roy, and the first localized mainline game to feature Jugdral lords in an official capacity (Get back in your corner, Awakening Einherjar! You do not count, even if you inspired this. Same with amiibo).

Ooh, yeah: when you put it like that it really did sound like a FE6 sequel, huh? I'm so sorry!

1 hour ago, Imuabicus said:

How many main lords/characters we got througout the franchise? Marth, Alm, Celica, Roy, Hector/Lyn/Eliwood, Erika/Ephraim, Ike, Micaiah, Chrom/Lucina/Robin, Corrin, Byleth/Edelgard/Dmitri/Claude. Did I miss one? If we take out the Marth copies and their bff Robin as well as the TH squad that´s 12, lest i mathed wrong.

The mural in the beginning showed one rep from each entry not counting remakes (and the Archanaea sequels) with 12 in total:

FE Engage Reps.png

Edited by DefyingFates