I have very concerning. 'fire emblem engage' of story

harbeyrussel

This is because I know very well through Heroes of Storm that all-star works are not necessarily good.
And in the case of "Intelligent System," there is a history of ignoring elaborate story manuscripts written by "Kibayashi Shin," the scriptwriter of "Fire Emblem if."
Therefore, the new film 'FE' may badly write a story using the characteristics of an all-star.
Is this worry too much?
Then, from the "GUNVOLT" series,
Look at the terrible scenarios.

Edited by harbeyrussel

Yeah, that’s something that concerns me. The main Lord’s design makes me fear they are going to go to the bad modern anime writing quality just as Fates. Hopefully I’d be wrong

1 minute ago, Midnox said:

Yeah, that’s something that concerns me. The main Lord’s design makes me fear they are going to go to the bad modern anime writing quality just as Fates. Hopefully I’d be wrong

I hope I'm not worried about this
I hope I get it wrong More than anyone else.

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

For me its the villains that making me worried for the story. You can't do a relatively grey story like TH and then go back to Fell Dragons and Risen without it coming off as a downgrade

While the cobra-headed dragon is an nice touch, in terms of aesthetics.  The only way that I can see the devs dropping the ball is not introducing an summoning mechanic where the villains from the previous games start appearing as an distraction of sorts.

My biggest fear about the story is how generic and bland it might become. That's at least what I picked up from the trailer.

I can safely say we were spoiled with Three Houses, and perhaps it set the bar too high for the next installment.

I also fear it might turn into Fates 2.0. Good gameplay but with terrible story with a terrible main protagonist avatar that is the center of attention in almost every dialogue. 

Edited by Nym

On 9/14/2022 at 5:24 PM, harbeyrussel said:

This is because I know very well through Heroes of Storm that all-star works are not necessarily good.
And in the case of "Intelligent System," there is a history of ignoring elaborate story manuscripts written by "Kibayashi Shin," the scriptwriter of "Fire Emblem if."
Therefore, the new film 'FE' may badly write a story using the characteristics of an all-star.
Is this worry too much?
Then, from the "GUNVOLT" series,
Look at the terrible scenarios.

if theres one thing thats almost unanimous so far from what i've seen, is that people already collectively throwing their expectation of Engage having good story out the window.

the game might be good, gameplay might be fun, but i dont see people saying story might be great. none of the modern mainline FE give this kind of reaction afaik

thats a good thing imo, now we dont have any expectation and potentially can digest whatever story they might serve in the platter

Edited by joevar

Yeah, personally, I have no opinions about how the story will be. With IS seemingly heading this title rather than KT (who essentially made Romance of the Three Kingdoms but Fire Emblem with TH), I'm hoping the worst we'll get is a boring story that we've seen before in FE. At the same time, SoV wasn't the worst IMO (bar some moments) so I think, despite the basic premise, we could get a decent story. But again, best to temper expectations and wait and see, we do only have a single trailer so far.

1 hour ago, Timlugia said:

Well, SoV was a remake of Kaga series, so they didn't really have to rewrite story.

I was mainly referring to how SoV was told. Despite having an pretty basic premise (being based on a bare bones concept from the 90s), the story was told pretty well, sans some parts of Celica's side of things, mainly thanks to the presentation of the game, which hopefully carries over to Engage.

On 9/15/2022 at 10:15 AM, Azz said:

Yeah, personally, I have no opinions about how the story will be. With IS seemingly heading this title rather than KT (who essentially made Romance of the Three Kingdoms but Fire Emblem with TH), I'm hoping the worst we'll get is a boring story that we've seen before in FE. At the same time, SoV wasn't the worst IMO (bar some moments) so I think, despite the basic premise, we could get a decent story. But again, best to temper expectations and wait and see, we do only have a single trailer so far.

The only thing I won’t stand for if it’s is badly written like Fates. I don’t mind Awakening, and I’m willing to settle with generic anime fantasy good vs evil plots; but not mediocre writing like Fates

Edited by Midnox

I have no high hopes for the writing of the game and I made my peace with this.

Weirdly enough, after being immensely disappointed with the reveal, Engage is starting to grow on me. I'm still not a fan of the story gimmick and I think the character artist is a very ill fit for the franchise, but at this point, I'm just hoping that the gameplay-part is terrific.

Just...don't have Fates-tier writing.

On 9/14/2022 at 11:56 PM, harbeyrussel said:
To give you a chance, you need to find out who the scriptwriter is
It is a prerequisite to be announced.

Good writers can produce terrible pieces and bad writers can produce good pieces.  Look at each on its own.  Right now, it's way too early to say.

First of all, just like eclipse said, it's very early to judge.

Second of all, a story doesn't need to have "grey morality" or even complex villains to be good. Even if the primary villains this time are totally one-note, so long as they do interesting things with the other characters conduct the plot in a fascinating way, it'll be fine imo.

It looks like there's going to be quite a bit of focus between the four countries described in the trailer, and Alear's amnesia does bring genuine intrigue since they are the Tiki of this game and are thus likely strongly entwined with the its history.

Next IIRC the thing with Shin Kibayashi, wasn't that just due to him writing way more than they asked him for/wanted to use? Like I might be misremembering but his script had like 500 pages and they only asked for 50 or something?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2022 at 10:19 PM, Cyan1456 said:

Next IIRC the thing with Shin Kibayashi, wasn't that just due to him writing way more than they asked him for/wanted to use? Like I might be misremembering but his script had like 500 pages and they only asked for 50 or something?

This is mostly correct; Maeda had only asked Kibayashi for 10 pages, not 50. Not only did Kibayashi admit to writing about 500 pages in the Iwata Asks, but the first 10 pages was just for the beginning of the Hoshidan family....meaning the Nohr part of the beginning wasn't even included in that :V

2 hours ago, Vexal said:

This is mostly correct; Maeda had only asked Kibayashi for 10 pages, not 50. Not only did Kibayashi admit to writing about 500 pages in the Iwata Asks, but the first 10 pages was just for the beginning of the Hoshidan family....meaning the Nohr part of the beginning wasn't even included in that :V

Yeah I can't peg that against IS. That sounds like the writer's own fault for going over the limit they asked.

All I'm going to say is that the worldbuilding better be good. Going for a simple Good vs Evil story ain't going to be an excuse.

Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance both follow simple stories, but supplement them well with a little political intrigue and excellent worldbuilding. I know this franchise can do it because they've done it in the past.

The worldbuilding in Awakening and Fates was horrible/non existent, so hopefully they don't repeat that.

I fear that the biggest criticism of Engage will be the fact that it’s supposed “back to basics” philosophy will negatively impact the story and characters. Everything from the trailer just screams “simplified” to me (ie Fell Dragon is the main antagonist, a seemly straight forward story, villains possibly having their own set of Emblem rings etc) to the point that it feels like the most Fire Emblem FE game ever. It seems to just tick all the FE trope boxes without seemly bringing anything interesting to the table. The Emblem Rings really just feel like fan service and an excuse to bring back characters whom the player already has an investment in due to playing the previous games. When Marth showed up in the trailer I was surprised that no one was there pointing at him saying “Look guys it’s Marth! You remember him right?”. Also the art style feels more like the Tales of series or the latter day Trails series instead of Fire Emblem. I could be 100% wrong and I pray to the Emperor I am, but my gut is telling me otherwise. 

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

See nothing’s wrong with a simple story not every FE game should be similar one after another the series is much better that way than having a similar tone back to back. That being said there could be plot twist that could happen at any time also just because the our style looks more brighter doesn’t mean the story won’t be dark because trust me I played a lot of JRPG‘s that have this kind of artstyle and it’s DARK plus FE always have dark stuff within each game so it’s way too early to say anything at this point about the plot.

Edited by Mage Goddess Lysithea

Yeah, while the game could easily be a typical FE chosen one must defeat evil dragon plot, its still too early to judge a book by its cover. Xenoblade 2 on the outset is a very stereotypical chosen one story but is easily one of the best JRPG storylines of the past decade despite its very anime aesthetic and use of fanservice and FE Engage could very well be the same. Even then, there is nothing wrong with a stereotypical story, as long as it is told well imo.

On 9/14/2022 at 1:43 PM, Armchair General said:

While the cobra-headed dragon is an nice touch, in terms of aesthetics.  The only way that I can see the devs dropping the ball is not introducing an summoning mechanic where the villains from the previous games start appearing as an distraction of sorts.

Correct me if wrong but some of the leaks stated the story will be focused between two factions/states, something like that. The way to twist that is making the perceived villain as not bad at all, but the protagonists somewhat brainwashed to see the other nation as enemy. 

Edited by genesis