3DS shop and buying dlc

Lanko

I've been a few months away from gaming, and discovered recently that E-shop is closing.

So I have until March of next year to buy the Revelations route and other DLCs.

However, it also said that the e-shop isn't accepting credit cards and gift cards anymore? So how do I add money to my Nintendo account to actually buy the stuff. Do I actually need to buy a Switch to do that or am I missing something here?

The secret is tying it to a Nintendo account that's also on the Switch eShop and adding money through there on paper, but you could try to make a Nintendo Account through the website (This link) and trying to add funds that way after linking it to the NNID that you could have used for 3DS eShop. You can add funds online and if your funds are merged together that should work.

Thanks, just merged them and I actually had $11 in there.

From what I heard the eshop is no longer accepting gift cards? But the option still appears through the website. If I redeem gift cards through the website will I be able to use the funds on the 3DS shop?

16 minutes ago, Lanko said:

From what I heard the eshop is no longer accepting gift cards? But the option still appears through the website. If I redeem gift cards through the website will I be able to use the funds on the 3DS shop?

No idea, I'd have no experience of that.

4 hours ago, Lanko said:

It does take the same wallet from the Nintendo Switch eShop. I do think you can just use the Nintendo eShop Prepaid Cards and/or Credit Card for the Nintendo Switch first and then buy the stuff on the Nintendo 3DS & Wii U eShop afterwards so that you will make it on buying the rest of the eShop Content what you wanted.

Edited by King Marth 64

As long as you have your Nintendo account linked, you can still add funds to the account itself.

You can even do so on the website by viewing your Nintendo account through a browser and then "Add Funds".

This actually was something that I had to clarify when I added $50 through the 3DS shop to prep for the "can't add funds" dilemma... only to accidentally have used the funds for Monster Hunter Rise DLC since the Switch was linked to the account.

Turns out when I called Nintendo that it means you can buy things from the 3DS shop until the shop dies next year. They just shut down their payment processes on the 3DS consoles themselves.

I mean it still sucks that the content is going to disappear forever except in case of CIA backups next year.

So e-shop gift cards should work on the 3DS if I add the redeem codes through the website as the money will be on the same wallet that works on everything?

I don't have an international credit card so I believe pre-paid gift cards will be my only way to add funds (same way I bought my other games too). Just kinda worried before I pull the plug in case somehow they are only valid on the Switch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...