Japanese Fire Emblem Twitter posts

Crubat

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Mage Goddess Lysithea said:

It’d be interesting if they return Fates’s different WTA given that durablity seems to be gone.

I'm curious how magic will fit in. It was weird in Fates to tie an entirely separate damage category into the weapon triangle, but it could work in a system separate from it. And as someone said earlier, if dragon/ beast units are back they could serve as a counterpart to magic, so you'd have one physical and one magical weapon of each range in the new weapon... line? Rectangle?

So this, since that was probably a terrible explanation:

Brawling/ Dragon or Beaststone (1-range Phys/ Mag) --> Bows/ Tomes (2-range Phys/ Mag) -> Brawling/ Dragon or Beaststone

4 hours ago, joevar said:

WAIT... did Framme just do a fuckin' "JUMPING, REVERSE-ROUNDHOUSE KICK" ?! ok that settles it, this is exactly what i want, instead of that measly 3H gauntlet.

They kicked plenty in Three Houses. Put Gauntlets on a commoner, and their generic "Dodge-then-strike" animation is hopping away and then leaping back in with a spin kick. And one of the grappler's two crit animations is a flying roundhouse-punch combo.

So not all gauntlets are brave anymore? Probably for the best, for balance reasons. In Three Houses, you could put a set of training gauntlets on any of your late game physical units and it will definitely surpass the weapon type their class is supposed to be using. Unless you're playing Maddening in which case, it's a case by case basis.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

I'm curious how magic will fit in. It was weird in Fates to tie an entirely separate damage category into the weapon triangle, but it could work in a system separate from it. And as someone said earlier, if dragon/ beast units are back they could serve as a counterpart to magic, so you'd have one physical and one magical weapon of each range in the new weapon... line? Rectangle?

So this, since that was probably a terrible explanation:

I Know that Alear is a dragon unit and Alfred is a cavalry unit

image.png.f1f1259c6e69ad079792ab6e28ba4781.pngimage.png.eadf744732871901312e7e083b595296.png

19 minutes ago, link16hit said:

I Know that Alear is a dragon unit and Alfred is a cavalry unit

image.png.f1f1259c6e69ad079792ab6e28ba4781.pngimage.png.eadf744732871901312e7e083b595296.png

We know Alear's a dragon but not yet if they can shapeshift. I think I read on the official site that the dragon influence would just be part of their swordplay or something too.

But in hindsight... yeah, I'm sure we'll have dragons to contend with eventually anyway. Not only do we have Corrin, but even if Alear doesn't shapeshift (I think they will later on) we still have the final boss to deal with! Thanks for pointing that out!

P.S. It'd be a neat bit of story and gameplay integration if Alear's promoted class was all about shapeshifting, if the reason they can't right now is because they've forgotten or are too rusty to 🙂 Who knows, maybe this will be our first cavalry Dragon in a mainline FE too?

Edited by DefyingFates

26 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

We know Alear's a dragon but not yet if they can shapeshift. I think I read on the official site that the dragon influence would just be part of their swordplay or something too.

From Alear's clip: "Alear's starting Class is "Child of Divine Dragons". Heir to a tribe of dragons that have lived since the ancient times, they can use Divine Dragon Swordsmanship." 

We didn't really talk much about it but I'm really interested in this.

About the topic on staves.....Personally I'm kinda glad staves have durability. If they had per map durability (which I'm not a fan for even in 3H due to how much it limited the dedicated mages in the early game) then not using it as frequently as possible feels like wasted opportunities, and if they had no durability it'd be overpowered due to infinite healing, even if it costed hp to use (Unless they decided to have it reduce max hp temporarily instead of reducing current hp, but that'd be a bit too punishing)

Edited by Vexal

43 minutes ago, Vexal said:

About the topic on staves.....Personally I'm kinda glad staves have durability. If they had per map durability (which I'm not a fan for even in 3H due to how much it limited the dedicated mages in the early game) then not using it as frequently as possible feels like wasted opportunities, and if they had no durability it'd be overpowered due to infinite healing, even if it costed hp to use (Unless they decided to have it reduce max hp temporarily instead of reducing current hp, but that'd be a bit too punishing)

Hmm, I wonder if Fire Emblem could work on a mana system - that way every spell works against every other spell. Teleports could be particularly expensive. 

Of course, certain characters/classes could reduce costs, regenerate mp, etc.

10 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

Does anyone else find it odd that the Training/Bronze Body Art that Framme uses is weapon rank D?

Not really? We see Alear and Alfred in the reveal trailer with B ranks in their respective weapon ranks at level 5 and 6 respectively, so I suspect D will be the lowest rank rather than E this time around 

7 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Hmm, I wonder if Fire Emblem could work on a mana system - that way every spell works against every other spell. Teleports could be particularly expensive. 

Of course, certain characters/classes could reduce costs, regenerate mp, etc.

Only if the suggested mana system would allow magic to be as actively used as physical weaponry. 4-6 uses of the beginner spell per battle did not feel good at all, especially when weapons were nearly free in 3H

Edited by Vexal

Just now, Vexal said:

Not really? We see Alear and Alfred in the reveal trailer with B ranks in their respective weapon ranks at level 5 and 6 respectively, so I suspect D will be the lowest rank rather than E this time around 

Are we just gonna have D to A or S? Honestly that doesn't bode well for the weapons.

5 minutes ago, Vexal said:

Only if the suggested mana system would allow magic to be as actively used as physical weaponry. 4-6 uses of the beginner spell per battle did not feel good at all, especially when weapons were nearly free in 3H

I'm kind of imagining the caveats of a mana system now.

* Standard max pool of 100mp, only raised by certain skills, accessories, etc.

* Cost of spells reduce by every weapon rank after you learn them (minimum 1mp). IE: A basic Fireball that costs 10 mp at E rank costs 6 mp at C rank, and 1 mp at S rank. The reduction would be a percentage of the cost. This also means that the weapon rank each character learns spells in their lists would matter - Linhardt would spend less mp to warp than Hapi.

* There would be all sorts of skills to increase the pool, regenerate mp, restore substantial MP on Wait, reduce costs of all spells, drastically reduce the cost of particular kinds of spells, spend more mp to power up spells, etc.

12 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

That would conflict with the concept of Combat Arts, which one would hope are returning in some form.

I think they'd be best coming up with their own terminology. Maybe something French to match the setting, or something Norse to complement the franchise's general mythology theme.

It's pretty likely that Combat Arts have been retooled into the signature attacks of the Emblems.
There's not much point in having big super attacks that can reposition you or have crazy effects when you can learn something that does it for less effort and resources.

Really, it feels like every major mechanic and design decision aside from Brawling has been dropped. I'm starting to feel like IntSys feels like everything they did for Echoes/TH was unpopular, as I am rarely seeing any longtime fan praise teaching, the monastery, or getting to use every weapon...

As for the Brawling name issue, can always just call Fists, Scrolls, or Martial Arts/Talents. FE isn't above redundancy in naming conventions, right, Hidden Weaponry?

24 minutes ago, Lut-ang said:

By the way, is the enemy archer at the corner showing a red bow icon? The game is going to have colored bows like in FEH?

Which clip? I don't see any archers in a corner in the Framme clip

12 hours ago, ciphertul said:

Does anyone else find it odd that the Training/Bronze Body Art that Framme uses is weapon rank D?

We could have a "Training" tier below Bronze weapons, like in 3H. Those would be E tier while Bronze would be D.

13 hours ago, Crubat said:

From Alear's clip: "Alear's starting Class is "Child of Divine Dragons". Heir to a tribe of dragons that have lived since the ancient times, they can use Divine Dragon Swordsmanship." 

That's what it was, thank you! That idea in itself sounds really cool (maybe a series of unique combat arts?) but it did make me worried that this is all their dragon blood would amount to too.

10 hours ago, KoriCongo said:

It's pretty likely that Combat Arts have been retooled into the signature attacks of the Emblems.
There's not much point in having big super attacks that can reposition you or have crazy effects when you can learn something that does it for less effort and resources.

Really, it feels like every major mechanic and design decision aside from Brawling has been dropped. I'm starting to feel like IntSys feels like everything they did for Echoes/TH was unpopular, as I am rarely seeing any longtime fan praise teaching, the monastery, or getting to use every weapon...

As for the Brawling name issue, can always just call Fists, Scrolls, or Martial Arts/Talents. FE isn't above redundancy in naming conventions, right, Hidden Weaponry?

Most of Intelligent Systems staff seem to have made this game right after Echoes while some joined the KT team to make Fire Emblem Three Houses/Hopes. Besides they did take a few things from Echoes (the 3d segments were basically a prototype for the walking mechanics in the eventual monastery).

3 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

We could have a "Training" tier below Bronze weapons, like in 3H. Those would be E tier while Bronze would be D.

That's what it was, thank you! That idea in itself sounds really cool (maybe a series of unique combat arts?) but it did make me worried that this is all their dragon blood would amount to too.

I’m hoping there’s legendary Gauntlets in the game hopefully if Framme holds up definitely getting them!

I hope not that kinda seems like a downgrade especially if they can’t transform hopefully their promoted class can unlock the ability to do so unless it’s a story plot reason. But if they get a unique version of Double Lion welp GG!

11 hours ago, KoriCongo said:

I don't think that Combat Arts would invalidate Emblems any more than they invalidated Gambits in Three Houses. Just as Gambits and Combat Arts were able to coexist and each have their own purpose and niche, so too could Combat Arts and Emblems. For instance, it's fairly easy to imagine a system where an Emblem Engage is substantially stronger than a Combat Art, but is much more restricted in how often you can use them.

That said, from what we've seen so far, it does seem as if Combat Arts quite likely haven't made it into this game. If that is the case, though, I think it's more down to just cutting out old features that they don't want to develop further rather than any fundamental incompatibility.

I actually agree that Emblems might have replaced CA's and Battallions (not so much replaced as combined and rebranded), but there definitely are/would be advantages to CAs over Emblem signature attacks. That being that the rings will probably take substantial time to acquire, leaving most of your army without a combat art equivalent for much of your playthrough.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

I'm really liking the new battle animations. They remembered how dynamic camera angles can really help amplify the impact of an attack, and they look faster than several of the previous games. I'm also glad they removed the cut-in for critical attacks. They were cool in Awakening, but grew more stale with each game, and honestly should have been axed by Three Houses. The map animations look like they could use some work, though. They're pretty stiff when previous games tended to be snappy. Also, having dynamic music for the map and battle themes is back! Or at least, is more noticeable compared to Three Houses.

I still think Shadows of Valentia's battle animations look better, but to be fair, I am comparing a completed game to one that hasn't been fully unveiled yet. Speaking of SoV, I hope they took a lot from that game, such as using different animations for finishing off an enemy, every class having distinct animations, characters having unique victory animations, attacks affecting the environment, etc. There's a reason people praise the game's presentation even if it also seems people forget what makes it so great, but that's a fanboy rant for elsewhere.

It also seems that the conversation animations have been upgraded, or at least I hope they were. I really, really, did not like how Three Houses kept using the same stock animations over and over again for every conversation scene, and anytime something interesting happened, it was behind a black screen or occurred offscreen. For a game where a single run could take over 60 hours and going through every route could take well over 100, it just made things more stale than interesting. Engages aren't outstanding, but I know that making really good conversation system animations is not cheap or easy, so I'm okay with it looking fine. New Frame Plus has an excellent video discussing about how animations for conversation systems work in video games, if anyone's interested.

I was initially concerned when I read that the twins were fans of Alear, as it seems like it would pretty easy for it to lead to "avatar worship" issues that Corrin and Byleth were plagued with. Thinking about it some more though, and Fire Emblem has done the "loyal to someone" trope before in different ways. Fredrick was incredibly loyal to Chrom, and while that's the subject of some conversations, Fredrick also has several supports that don't mention Chrom at all. In the story at least, you can get the sense of there being a mutual respect between the two, and I can say things about Fredricks character that don't revolve around his liege. From a different angle, while I wish she was given a more interesting personality, I do appreciate that SoV portrayed Faye's obsession with Alm as very unhealthy, and Dedue and Hubert in Three Houses shows that blind loyalty is not always admirable, as both are quite willing to do their masters dirty work.

I'm still cautious, but I'm hopeful that the twins talk about more than just Alear and being dragon guardians. If the games tone leans towards the lighthearted side, then I could see some possibilities for humor in Alear having a fan club despite having absolutely no clue what they did to earn one. Especially if dialogue choices return and you get to choose how to react.

I still want to see more designs before making any judgements about the art direction. Nothing aside from Alear (which personally falls into the "so bad, it's good" category) has grabbed me so far, but I'm also not wondering what the hell the thought process behind anything was, which is more than I can say about Awakening or Fates. That said, the fact that the twins both have braids with a different hair color as well as different bows leads me to think that it's related to their roles as dragon guardians somehow.

Gauntlets were my favorite addition in Three Houses, I really liked how healers could defend themselves from the get go in Shadows of Valentia (with an unreliable attack which discouraged getting reckless with them), combine both and you get Engage's version of the monk class. I can tell I'm already going to like this class. I also like the idea of gauntlets (or brawling or whatever it's going to be called) and bows having weapon triangle bonuses against each other depending either on range or who initiated the fight. Bows and gauntlets are both reliant on playing aggressively to get the most use out of them, so the system could work.

Just please don't bring back the weapon triangle from Fates. I'm using hidden weapons to debuff enemies, not to have an advantage over swords, and a mage having an advantage over bows meant nothing if the archer has high resistance.

23 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I remember playing a fan remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden back in 2018 (I think it's still available on a reddit post somewhere), and one if it's many bizarre additions to an already weird game was the inclusion of a mana system.

It more or less had the exact same pros and cons that Three Houses system had. You got to see the fancy spells more often thanks to no long-term durability, and there was some occasional decision making between whether to use a weak but cheap spell or a costly powerful one. On the flip side, if it was a small map with few enemies, there was little reason to not use your big guns, while for longer maps you typically stuck with the cheaper spells.

A mana system could definitely work for Fire Emblem. I just think it would be pretty predictable, and you don't need mana to have interesting and versatile spells that go beyond "hit the enemy really hard".