Japanese Fire Emblem Twitter posts

Crubat

2 hours ago, Crubat said:

Uh huh, its practically confirmed at this point. Theres no different paths in this game, it's one linear story (which I'm personally happy about) 

Little presumptuous, since at least one leak says there's 2 different routes. I expect at least the game to pull a Thracia or Binding Blade, have some different map chains.

1 hour ago, link16hit said:

Alfred having a axe (horse slayer) in inventory when he cannot use it? Weapon lock is back

I held out hope, but of course it couldn't be... Hate weapon locks...
Maybe I can inhale some copium and see if they will pull a Path of Radiance and let you choose a weapon type when you class change.

50 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

In that case it may be interesting to have a mix of both: each Lord has one or two aides/ confidants, but the majority of the cast is the "bunch of misfits" from pre-Fates 🙂 Personally I'm happy as long as everyone is fleshed out and not just Fates' "talking singular character traits"... but I do appreciate that the cast as a whole could be a bit boring if they're all noble or noble-adjacent.

That's...not really interesting, that's kind of how every Fire Emblem game before Fates worked...
That's what made Fates so frustrating, there's a certain expectation for every game to follow in Marth's footsteps and have a varied cast of characters, in ages, origins, and cultures, that Fates just refused to put in the effort for.

Anyway, nice to see confirmation that every unit can Engage, with Vander/Louis Engaged with Sigurd.
There's also some confirmation that Staves aren't equippable like in Radiant Dawn/Heroes, since there's Allied Priests with nothing on their map models.
Curious about the other Monk we see up with the allied units. Seems like Framme isn't the only one who figured out healing qigong.
I expected Etie to be less...dressed up. A lot of her appearances so far made her look rather frumpy and common, like Norne or Donnel. The VTuber Maid look was....unexpected but not unwelcomed~.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, KoriCongo said:

Little presumptuous, since at least one leak says there's 2 different routes. I expect at least the game to pull a Thracia or Binding Blade, have some different map chains.

First I've heard of it?

5 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I for one hope weapon locks are back. Naga forbid we have any character/class identity rather than blend everything together into one nondescript grey mass.

I’m gonna second this one too. Please let classes have some identity.

1 hour ago, Azz said:

Interesting to see someone else engaged with Sigurd. It could be Louis but it also could be Cramme since it looks somewhat like him based on the trailer when he was engaged with Micaiah.

You're right, I just assumed it was Louis cause of the lance icon, oops

1 hour ago, Mage Goddess Lysithea said:

I mean I just literally said that but ok….

bruh I missed it, sorry

1 minute ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I for one hope weapon locks are back. Naga forbid we have any character/class identity rather than blend everything together into one nondescript grey mass.

...I've never been convinced of this argument. Ever since I played Shadow Dragon and seen the Archer class and the Hunter class be in the same game, or Radiant Dawn with 5 swordmasters that all compete and top each other with no regard to how much effort you put into the previous one, or Thracia having some of the least memorable characters of all time (don't even pretend like you can remember why Ronan was a part of Leif's party...), character identity by class never made any sense by any logic. There's plenty of other mechanics to make characters stand out from one another, you don't need to make exact redundancies in mechanical niches to compensate for permadeath, and classes don't provide identity: the experiences you make for your characters provide them.

You don't need the developers to hold your hand and tell you what this character must be in an RPG. Systems like Skill Trees, Multiclassing, Feat/Perk Selections, and Supports were made for that purpose. If things are a "nondescript grey mass", you have the power to form it into anything you can set your mind to! I just don't get people who want less of this stuff in their RPGs...

1 minute ago, KoriCongo said:

...I've never been convinced of this argument. Ever since I played Shadow Dragon and seen the Archer class and the Hunter class be in the same game, or Radiant Dawn with 5 swordmasters that all compete and top each other with no regard to how much effort you put into the previous one, or Thracia having some of the least memorable characters of all time (don't even pretend like you can remember why Ronan was a part of Leif's party...), character identity by class never made any sense by any logic. There's plenty of other mechanics to make characters stand out from one another, you don't need to make exact redundancies in mechanical niches to compensate for permadeath, and classes don't provide identity: the experiences you make for your characters provide them.

You don't need the developers to hold your hand and tell you what this character must be in an RPG. Systems like Skill Trees, Multiclassing, Feat/Perk Selections, and Supports were made for that purpose. If things are a "nondescript grey mass", you have the power to form it into anything you can set your mind to! I just don't get people who want less of this stuff in their RPGs...

Counterpoint - these days we have skills to separate characters of the same class. 5 swordmasters with completely different skills and growth rates are going to be a lot more distinct than those same 5 characters would be if they were suddenly compared to every other character in the game in an open system.

Classes are a form of identity. Branched or dual classes provide more flexibility without compromising that (and I would really like to see a future FE experiment with dual classes). Fully open systems just blend everything together and lead to picking optimal choices. Good developers know that player creativity comes from applying restrictions intelligently.

23 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I agree, I felt like Three Houses gave the player too much freedom. If every unit can become every class, it sure takes a lot of what makes each unit special.   

9 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Counterpoint - these days we have skills to separate characters of the same class. 5 swordmasters with completely different skills and growth rates are going to be a lot more distinct than those same 5 characters would be if they were suddenly compared to every other character in the game in an open system.

Classes are a form of identity. Branched or dual classes provide more flexibility without compromising that (and I would really like to see a future FE experiment with dual classes). Fully open systems just blend everything together and lead to picking optimal choices. Good developers know that player creativity comes from applying restrictions intelligently.

So if a character has different skills, different growth rates, different ways to play despite being stuck in the same class?
Why not...give them different weapon types to use?

Assuming that there are "optimal choices" to make and that people will always choose them because of being optimal (something something people will always optimize the fun out of a game), I don't see how having less choices make people more willing to experiment, make less optimal choices, or be more creative. Especially in a game where you have limited deployment slots, no leaked experience/weapon ranks for benched units, incredibly rigid niches in terms of what something is supposed to do, and permadeath that means poor play will rob you of those niches and have a good chance being sent into a death spiral you can't recover from. If anything, that would mean they will still pick optimal choices except now they have less individuality in how they came up with it.

And making individual, unique stories is a major reason why Fire Emblem is like this.

Side note: Limited Reclassing Options ala Awakening/Fates also wasn't really helpful. Many reclass options were just way worse than sticking them in their base class (Cleric Kellam? Maid Charlotte? Sorcerer Peri? Archer Chrom!?). I remember all the Galeforce inheritance guides that turned a good portion of Awakening's cast into incels. A lot of people used the online modes of Fates to cheese skills onto characters that would normally be impossible to put it on them (and that's assuming they didn't just hack it on them...). And it really did just greatly increase the gaps between characters, those with good reclass options like getting Wyvern Rider or Berserker were more viable than those that did not.

The plus side of weapon lock is the feeling of progression when they hand you a new weapon for promoting. Just...don't 1 range lock certain weapon types without a good reason this time. Speaking of, do we know if bows can retaliate at 1 range yet? That's the sort of regression I WOULD riot over.

3 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

Then it will truely be Fates 2.0 While I do want some characters to know each other, I don`t want the cast to be all lords and retainers. It offers up less opportunities for unique character circumstances and backgrounds.

Would putting a villager with Aptitude early on in the game change your mind? You can use the game's dressup corner to put a bucket on his head.

He has ALSO been waiting his whole life to meet Alear. His Ma told him so many stories. That he won't share to our amnesiac protagonist.

33 minutes ago, KoriCongo said:

So if a character has different skills, different growth rates, different ways to play despite being stuck in the same class?
Why not...give them different weapon types to use?

Tellius is full of them?

Like the Cavalier in Path of Radiance Sword : Makalov, Axe : Kieran, Lance : Oscar, Bow : Astrid

The trio mage, Soren, Ilyana and Tormod, which three of them specialize in wind, lightning and fire , different skill (Adept, Shade and Celerity) and different growth rates.

One of the problems in FE games are the deployment and number of units available.. apart Gaiden and FE4 which didn't have that problem.

Also OP units. Some units are totally trash compared to other to the same class : Gatrie/Brom > Meg or just too good : Felix > Ashe // Navarre > Samto

3 hours ago, Crubat said:

I mean we see red haired swordsman from the trailer and the box art fight with you while alfred is on the team, so from that we assume we can recruit all the characters on the box art. I don't think it's gonna be like three houses where we pick only one lord, I think we go to each kingdom and recruit the lords there. How we recruit them might differ though, we could fight some of em or do some sort quest for them before we have their trust, we'll have to see. The clip of Alfred talking from today shows that he visited the castle and I assume that's how we recruit him, I don't think there's a choice prior to that to pick a certain lord we want.

Again, I am hoping you are correct, but until it is absolutely confirmed there is only one route, I will not hold my breath. Then again, if there were multiple paths, they likely would have said so by now.

I am curious to see how the different royals react to Alear waking, as I imagine not every nation is friendly with the divine dragon(s)

2 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

In that case it may be interesting to have a mix of both: each Lord has one or two aides/ confidants, but the majority of the cast is the "bunch of misfits" from pre-Fates 🙂 Personally I'm happy as long as everyone is fleshed out and not just Fates' "talking singular character traits"... but I do appreciate that the cast as a whole could be a bit boring if they're all noble or noble-adjacent.

Yeah, I could work with that. Just so long as not every character is noble or noble adjacent.

1 hour ago, Rose482 said:

Hoping it's this for shipping reasons....

Bisexual Alfred, here we come. 

2 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Would putting a villager with Aptitude early on in the game change your mind? You can use the game's dressup corner to put a bucket on his head.

He has ALSO been waiting his whole life to meet Alear. His Ma told him so many stories. That he won't share to our amnesiac protagonist.

Would need more than one villager if everyone else is to be nobility, minor or major.

I would be opposed to a playable villager with Aptitude though.

3 hours ago, KoriCongo said:

2 hours ago, Crubat said:

First I've heard of it?

@KoriCongo

Can you please provide where the leaker(s) said there will be more than one route? I dont recall it at all

20 minutes ago, Crubat said:

@KoriCongo

Can you please provide where the leaker(s) said there will be more than one route? I dont recall it at all

I must have actually been confused. The leak I was thinking of was the R0NIN post, which very clearly states one route like Awakening. Pardon my insolence...

1 hour ago, link16hit said:

Tellius is full of them?

Like the Cavalier in Path of Radiance Sword : Makalov, Axe : Kieran, Lance : Oscar, Bow : Astrid

The trio mage, Soren, Ilyana and Tormod, which three of them specialize in wind, lightning and fire , different skill (Adept, Shade and Celerity) and different growth rates.

One of the problems in FE games are the deployment and number of units available.. apart Gaiden and FE4 which didn't have that problem.

Also OP units. Some units are totally trash compared to other to the same class : Gatrie/Brom > Meg or just too good : Felix > Ashe // Navarre > Samto

I mean if you are going to go far as to have Sword Cav/Axe Cav/Lance Cav/Bow Cav classes, might as well just split the difference and let them use every weapon type within the class ala Three Houses, as what i was thinking about.

Meg is actually the major reason as to why I stopped believing in Class Locking, to be quite honest. Her statline actually would make her a pretty solid (haha fat joke) Pegasus Knight, something the Dawn Brigade could have actually needed if Radiant Dawn had sensible unit distribution. But because she is an Armor Knight, and an Armor Knight in the most brutal series of maps with massive terrain penalties and wide-open designs, she is an utter meme alongside the other DB members...

5 hours ago, Crubat said:

You're right, I just assumed it was Louis cause of the lance icon, oops

But hey, this confirms that if fixed weapons are back, Emblems will let people use weapons they can't normally!

8 hours ago, Crubat said:

Oh I know! But you can schedule tweets on the twitter so that accounts automatically tweet out whatever they want whenever they want. I was saying that given how inconsistent they are, I feel like they don't have these tweets ready and are doing them hours prior. 

Given the whole "Japanese execs don't understand the internet" thing, I could see this being the case, to be fair.

6 hours ago, Rose482 said:

Hoping it's this for shipping reasons....

xD

I think this was brought up earlier (maybe in another thread), but if we get "implied" S Supports a la Three Hopes, then that way anyone can be paired with Alear regardless of gender too 😛

(That's just speculation, of course.)

57 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I think this was brought up earlier (maybe in another thread), but if we get "implied" S Supports a la Three Hopes, then that way anyone can be paired with Alear regardless of gender too 😛

(That's just speculation, of course.)

Oh god…I hope not that was most likely to not ntr Byleth given more are attached to them and the pair endings with the characters in Three Houses which was semi confirmed in interview. Read it over yep pretty much what they said.

Edited by Mage Goddess Lysithea

53 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Honestly I don't care all that much for S supports, but I do care for paired endings. I love playing matchmaker in Fire Emblem. Legit no other series allows me to decide the love life of both the main characters and the side characters! It's so fun for me. 

8 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

Honestly I don't care all that much for S supports, but I do care for paired endings. I love playing matchmaker in Fire Emblem. Legit no other series allows me to decide the love life of both the main characters and the side characters! It's so fun for me. 

I mean A supports back then we’re the S Supports for the most part heck Roy was the first ever Protagonist to have many multiple romance A rank pairings. S Support shouldn’t be the end all to say it won’t be in I heard someone on PM1 recent Engage video saying a likely scenario how it’ll happen in Engage. But let’s not go off topic since I can see this going in a not pleasant talk here…..

1 minute ago, Mage Goddess Lysithea said:

I mean A supports back then we’re the S Supports for the most part heck Roy was the first ever Protagonist to have many multiple romance A rank pairings. S Support shouldn’t be the end all to say it won’t be in I heard someone on PM1 saying a likely scenario how it’ll happen in Engage. But let’s not go off topic since I can see this going in a not pleasant talk here…..

Oh, might I ask what you heard? I am curious about what the likely scenario is. I know that there is few ways they could handle this really, my only hope is that they won't remove paired endings all together. And if someone doesn't like what we're talking about, they can stay out of it! We aren't talking to them, are we? 

Just now, Rose482 said:

Oh, might I ask what you heard? I am curious about what the likely scenario is. I know that there is few ways they could handle this really, my only hope is that they won't remove paired endings all together. And if someone doesn't like what we're talking about, they can stay out of it! We aren't talking to them, are we? 

I guess if the player doesn't have control of pairing then we might (and I really hope I'm wrong) go back to predetermined pairs.

9 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

Basically they said characters that can obtain A rank can get a pair endings. But in Alear’s case they have a choice like Byleth near the end of the game where you can pick who they end up with(I’m sure with a few same gender options like before)get that character artwork and ending boom done get the A if they’re choosable before endgame. No need for any S support just an extra for being the MC as it should be.

10 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

Then it will truely be Fates 2.0 While I do want some characters to know each other, I don`t want the cast to be all lords and retainers. It offers up less opportunities for unique character circumstances and backgrounds.

It's pretty much already confirmed that this roster will be royal and retainer heavy. I was anticipating the axe guy and Etie to be our villagers or something for variety like how it usually is so for them to be retainers... Yeah. 

I learned what an Eudaemonist is today. I can see that leading to some interesting conversations where Alfred's philosophy is discussed and debated. I'm warming up to his outfit. It's the right amount of overdesigned that I could see a pompous (if kindhearted) noble wearing.

Animation wise, I'm concerned that the map movement will remain stiff, but the combat remain fun to watch. I particularly like how the enemy cavalier flips off their horse. That's a pretty fun defeat animation.

100% crit though? I'm guessing that's either debugging weirdness or whatever they heck they did behind the scenes to set up the scenario before recording the video. You can just make enemies hit harder rather than giving them guaranteed crits. If it's not a joke though, then I can see 100% crit enemies more or less having a "kill this foe IMMEDIETALY" sign over their head at all times. They would certainly be an interesting opponent to deal with. Maybe not a fun one, but an interesting foe.

Not entirely certain what my final thoughts on Alfred's partners designs are yet. The lady looks okay although I hope not all the female characters in Engage look so young and we get some more variety in age ranges. Not a fan of the dude's armor, though there's been a lot worse armor designs in the series. There's been a lot better, too, though.

I hope that Alear's reactions are something you can toggle on and off. It was neat in Echoes for the lords reactions to be on the bottom screen, but that worked because it was on the 3DS. It doesn't transfer over as gracefully to a single screen.

On 9/15/2022 at 4:06 PM, DefyingFates said:

As for the Iron Sword reducing Spd: I wonder if this means weight is back. If so I hope higher weapons are balanced around just having higher weights than lower ones. I feel Fates went too far and made Silver weapons impractical for anything but big hits to finish off bosses or mini-bosses...

IMHO, another aspect where Fates went too far is the existence of weapons like the "Great" Club, which is nigh impossibly to justify using with accuracy that crappy AND a crit evade drop. There are other weapons in the game that made me wonder "what were they thinking?!"

6 hours ago, Seazas said:

It's pretty much already confirmed that this roster will be royal and retainer heavy. I was anticipating the axe guy and Etie to be our villagers or something for variety like how it usually is so for them to be retainers... Yeah.

Well then.