Guys, guys, guys...it's been Canter this whole time

Jotari

Sigurd has the Canter skill...Canter is like just below a gallop for a horse. That's...that's what Canto was meant to be this whole time. It has to be. It just makes too much sense. Cantor was always a weird ass name for that skill (especially when it had already been a skill in Path of Radiance that actually made sense). I don't know how this reflects the Japanese name, I feel like it's a case of the Japanese getting the English wrong than vice versa, but if the re-move skill wasn't called Canter from the start it absolutely should have been as it just makes too much sense.

Edited by Jotari

It certainly makes a hell of a lot more sense than Canto ever did, but it still seems a bit weird to have the skill be named for "going pretty fast but not actually as fast as you can". But then, I never was much of a horse girl. Does anyone know what gait would most commonly be used by warhorses in battle?

I do wonder if that might mean we get some other terminology changes too. Maybe we could finally see Volcano magic instead of Bolganone, for instance. Or maybe our moody loner swordfighters will stop being named for a group known for unwavering loyalty (Myrmidons).

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I don't know how this reflects the Japanese name, I feel like it's a case of the Japanese getting the English wrong than vice versa, but if the re-move skill wasn't called Canter from the start it absolutely should have been as it just makes too much sense.

No, in Japan it is known as "Move Again". Canto was only ever a localization thing.

What happened is that after using Canto for the Path of Radiance skill, for some reason they decided to use the same name for the Radiant Dawn one, while renaming the actual Canto to Galdrar. Because in Japanese the PoR Canto was also Move Again, only renamed Galdrar in Japanese Radiant Dawn when the Move Again skill from the Jugdral games made a comeback. The confusion likely stems they decided to stick to Canto for what was Move Again, despite the fact it now referred to a different skill and losing the context of the previous one. Kinda like keeping Nosferatu as Nosferatu when the spell returned to being a Light Spell. Why it has never returned to being Rezire who knows... but now I wonder...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

im glad that canter is an actual term in horse-riding. this mean now we're more ready to move on to Cavalry Emblem

1 hour ago, lenticular said:

I do wonder if that might mean we get some other terminology changes too. Maybe we could finally see Volcano magic instead of Bolganone, for instance. Or maybe our moody loner swordfighters will stop being named for a group known for unwavering loyalty (Myrmidons).

i hope they changed it sooner or later. it doesnt make sense really. almost every myrmidon we see in FE didnt fit the myrmidon terminology. but then again, changed into what? swordmaster already used, or maybe just merged it into mercenary? since imo mercenary and myrmidon especially in GBAFE kinda overlap with each other

It certainly makes a hell of a lot more sense than Canto ever did, but it still seems a bit weird to have the skill be named for "going pretty fast but not actually as fast as you can". But then, I never was much of a horse girl. Does anyone know what gait would most commonly be used by warhorses in battle?

Well it's the remaining movement you're using after attacking and expending your energy. Maybe they could add Gallop as a version of Canto that lets you use your full movement afterwards, like a non attack Galeforce (and yes, I did just refer to it as Canto, it's a habbit!)

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

No, in Japan it is known as "Move Again". Canto was only ever a localization thing.

What happened is that after using Canto for the Path of Radiance skill, for some reason they decided to use the same name for the Radiant Dawn one, while renaming the actual Canto to Galdrar. Because in Japanese the PoR Canto was also Move Again, only renamed Galdrar in Japanese Radiant Dawn when the Move Again skill from the Jugdral games made a comeback. The confusion likely stems they decided to stick to Canto for what was Move Again, despite the fact it now referred to a different skill and losing the context of the previous one. Kinda like keeping Nosferatu as Nosferatu when the spell returned to being a Light Spell. Why it has never returned to being Rezire who knows... but now I wonder...

Wha...? That just rises further questions. So Japan never when near the phrase Canto and for some bizarre reason they called Reyson's skill Move Again? Well...I guess he was making other characters Move Again, but that's still kind of bizarre.

1 minute ago, joevar said:

im glad that canter is an actual term in horse-riding. this mean now we're more ready to move on to Cavalry Emblem

i hope they changed it sooner or later. it doesnt make sense really. almost every myrmidon we see in FE didnt fit the myrmidon terminology. but then again, changed into what? swordmaster already used, or maybe just merged it into mercenary? since imo mercenary and myrmidon especially in GBAFE kinda overlap with each other

Would people call bullshit if they just stuck with Samurai from Fates?

Edited by Jotari

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Would people call bullshit if they just stuck with Samurai from Fates?

i might be nitpicking things, but if we really want to stick to actual samurai, then no. because lots of samurai are trained to use more than just sword. so they cant fit into basic/lower tier class with one weapon type

22 minutes ago, joevar said:

Sword fighter? Swordsman/Swordswoman? Duelist? Fencer? None of them are perfect, but I think that any of them better represent the class than Myrmidon does. If it were my pick, I think I'd probably go for Duelist.

Sword fighter? Swordsman/Swordswoman? Duelist? Fencer? None of them are perfect, but I think that any of them better represent the class than Myrmidon does. If it were my pick, I think I'd probably go for Duelist.

duelist sounds better than myrmidon. duelist is like the kind of guy that likes to jump into fight to hone their skill or just because want to XD.

or maybe sellsword?  if we look at some FE character, myrmidon character actually the one that gives "looking for trouble" vibe, and some actively trying "hire me, im worth it". While mercenary the one that kinda chill. its messed up.

I'm glad they finally changed Canto.

Myrmidon, I think is fine. It's just a fantasy class name like Paladin and General. It's not like every General in FE is an actual general (eg. Amelia if you promote her).

Bolganone for me walks a thin line between looking weird and being just goofy enough to look good. If they had to change it, I'd prefer something closer to Volcanon, because "Volcano" by itself is kinda boring IMO.

2 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Bolganone for me walks a thin line between looking weird and being just goofy enough to look good. If they had to change it, I'd prefer something closer to Volcanon, because "Volcano" by itself is kinda boring IMO.

Is it possible Bolganone was supposed to be more like Volcano but the translators just didn't notice?

1 minute ago, Florete said:

Is it possible Bolganone was supposed to be more like Volcano but the translators just didn't notice?

It's a corruption of Volcano(n). The B and V are interchangeable, but there's clearly a G in the middle and a N at the end.

Another example is Ragnarok, which is Rainarok in Japanese. There is no way to get a G from I. So the person who named it probably did it on purpose.

It'd be like me naming a sword Excalipur for kicks. Like it's not exactly Excalibur, but it's inspired by it.

17 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

I'm glad they finally changed Canto.

Myrmidon, I think is fine. It's just a fantasy class name like Paladin and General. It's not like every General in FE is an actual general (eg. Amelia if you promote her).

Interestingly, they did rename the General class in Three Houses (to Fortress Knight). It'll be interesting to see whether they stick with that change or if it ends up just being a Three Houses oddity.

I think that part of my problem with Bolganone is that my brain always and forever wants to read it as Bolognese. At that point, there's no getting away from just seeming weird.

4 hours ago, joevar said:

i might be nitpicking things, but if we really want to stick to actual samurai, then no. because lots of samurai are trained to use more than just sword. so they cant fit into basic/lower tier class with one weapon type

And Troubadours are able to use magic?

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Wha...? That just rises further questions. So Japan never when near the phrase Canto and for some bizarre reason they called Reyson's skill Move Again? Well...I guess he was making other characters Move Again, but that's still kind of bizarre.

I have some vague memory that this all started with a translation mixup where Reyson's skill was supposed to be Canto (an Italian word for singing, and obscure term related to poetry, and songs in English...), and Move Again was supposed to be what we know as Canto, but the two translations were applied to the wrong skills somewhere in the process. With Radiant Dawn being so rigid in keeping its translation consistent with Path of Radiance, they kept the error, and by then the term just stuck.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I have some vague memory that this all started with a translation mixup where Reyson's skill was supposed to be Canto (an Italian word for singing, and obscure term related to poetry, and songs in English...), and Move Again was supposed to be what we know as Canto, but the two translations were applied to the wrong skills somewhere in the process. With Radiant Dawn being so rigid in keeping its translation consistent with Path of Radiance, they kept the error, and by then the term just stuck.

Its not that obscure. You never heard of the Hyperion Cantos?

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

And Troubadours are able to use magic?

uh wha-? maybe?

is this about samurai authenticity? really, its not like i dont want samurai as a class, but the whole thing from @lenticularthat said myrmidon is someone that has unwavering loyalty when the kind of myrmidon we get in FE are not, which samurai basically is more or less japanese myrmidon by that standard.

44 minutes ago, joevar said:

uh wha-? maybe?

is this about samurai authenticity? really, its not like i dont want samurai as a class, but the whole thing from @lenticularthat said myrmidon is someone that has unwavering loyalty when the kind of myrmidon we get in FE are not, which samurai basically is more or less japanese myrmidon by that standard.

Eh. Deoends on loyalty to whom. Samurai did fight each other a lot when they were all meant to be loyal to the same emperor/shogun. 

11 hours ago, lenticular said:

Horses have three "gaits" walk, trot and canter with different speeds in those gaits.  Canter is a controlled version of the fastest gait also called a gallop and different amounts of control are used by the rider for different purposes.  Heading in to battle they would probably rush in at a charge which is giving the horse their head and letting them run as fast as they can, but once the rider gets there they would be controlling the horse and would have to avoid hitting allies.  man looks like I did listen a fair bit to my mom when she talked about this stuff 😛

On 9/16/2022 at 12:16 AM, Acacia Sgt said:

Kinda like keeping Nosferatu as Nosferatu when the spell returned to being a Light Spell. Why it has never returned to being Rezire who knows... but now I wonder...

I'd imagine that it was kept that way because of its effect (the spell drains life, something that is associated with vampires, which "nosferatu" is a word for).

Thinking about this some more, I wonder if maybe the change in name means that flying classes are no longer going to have access to canto/canter/move again? If they've gone to the trouble to rename it, would they be renaming it to something that was specific to horses if the skill was also available to wyverns? Maybe they would, given that this is Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem naming conventions make no sense at all. But also maybe they wouldn't. It would not be a bad thing to see a minor nerf to fliers and a more definite niche to cavalry other than just "worse fliers".

16 hours ago, EricaofRenais said:

Horses have three "gaits" walk, trot and canter with different speeds in those gaits.  Canter is a controlled version of the fastest gait also called a gallop and different amounts of control are used by the rider for different purposes.  Heading in to battle they would probably rush in at a charge which is giving the horse their head and letting them run as fast as they can, but once the rider gets there they would be controlling the horse and would have to avoid hitting allies.  man looks like I did listen a fair bit to my mom when she talked about this stuff 😛

Thanks for the information!

Thinking about this some more, I wonder if maybe the change in name means that flying classes are no longer going to have access to canto/canter/move again? If they've gone to the trouble to rename it, would they be renaming it to something that was specific to horses if the skill was also available to wyverns? Maybe they would, given that this is Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem naming conventions make no sense at all. But also maybe they wouldn't. It would not be a bad thing to see a minor nerf to fliers and a more definite niche to cavalry other than just "worse fliers".

Thanks for the information!

It's also possible Canter isn't Canto at all and just a similarly named skill that has nothing to do with Remove...That would be a bit embarrassing for the guy who made this thread.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

It's also possible Canter isn't Canto at all and just a similarly named skill that has nothing to do with Remove...That would be a bit embarrassing for the guy who made this thread.

008-emblem-ring5b.jpg

I think they're safe. Looks like the same re-movement skill to me.

Now it's possible it has a completely different effect though, but that would be pretty weird IMO.

8 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

008-emblem-ring5b.jpg

I think they're safe. Looks like the same re-movement skill to me.

Now it's possible it has a completely different effect though, but that would be pretty weird IMO.

Well they did apparently call Reyson's dance skill re-move so...who knows what's going through their heads.