Any hopes for a manakete/beast unit in Engage?

Crubat

Was thinking about it earlier today and remembered that corrin will be using their dragonstone as their weapon. I know Alear is a divine dragon but his class can't use dragonstones as we saw from the status screen and also Alear's "canon" ring will most likely be Marth. Do you think we'll get a shapeshifting character that'll probably pair with Corrin? If so, what kind? 

That mysterious girl we see in the trailer by the tree and in the centre of the boxart gives off manakete vibes. Maybe once Alear promotes/after a story event, they'll also be able to transform into their dragon form, hopefully anyways.

Would also love to see a beast unit return, especially seeing as both Awakening and Fates had them and Engage seems to be closer to them than it is to Three Houses.

I would love to see more dragons and beast units. They are an important part of FE. Most games revolve around dragons, so not having a playable manakete unit would be very odd.

56 minutes ago, Azz said:

That mysterious girl we see in the trailer by the tree and in the centre of the boxart gives off manakete vibes. Maybe once Alear promotes/after a story event, they'll also be able to transform into their dragon form, hopefully anyways.

Would also love to see a beast unit return, especially seeing as both Awakening and Fates had them and Engage seems to be closer to them than it is to Three Houses.

I am also willing to bet that the girl by the tree is a dragon. I seriously hope that Alear does get a transformation. What would be the point of making the Avatar a dragon but not giving them the ability to transform (unless for plot)?

3 hours ago, PrincessAlyson said:

I would love to see more dragons and beast units. They are an important part of FE. Most games revolve around dragons, so not having a playable manakete unit would be very odd.

I am also willing to bet that the girl by the tree is a dragon. I seriously hope that Alear does get a transformation. What would be the point of making the Avatar a dragon but not giving them the ability to transform (unless for plot)?

Gaiden/Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, Genealogy of the Holy War, Thracia 776, Path of Radiance, & Radiant Dawn (Despite that the Tellius games that Dragon Laguz aren't the same species as the Manaketes) didn't have any playable Manaketes in those games.

I do think we possibly going to get a playable Manakete in Engage.

15 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

Gaiden/Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, Genealogy of the Holy War, Thracia 776, Path of Radiance, & Radiant Dawn (Despite that the Tellius games that Dragon Laguz aren't the same species as the Manaketes) didn't have any playable Manaketes in those games.

I do think we possibly going to get a playable Manakete in Engage.

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn did have playable Dragon Laguz. In Path of Radiance, Ena is automatically recruited in chapter 28 if Ike fails to beat the Black Knight in chapter 27, while Nasir is automatically recruited if Ike succeeds. In Radiant Dawn, Kurthnaga and Ena are both automatically recruited just before the five-chapter endgame, and Gareth and Nasir are automatically recruited in chapter 4 of the endgame if they survived chapter 3 of the endgame. They didn't appear until very late in the two games, but they were playable.

I really hope that Alear is able to transform into a dragon; what's the point of a playable character that's a divine dragon if they don't have a dragon form (apologies to Gotoh and Xane)?

If this setting is somehow related to Ylisse/Archanea (Fell Dragon, anyone?), then I think it'd be neat to see the Taguel again. Ideally with more effort to integrate them into the worldbuilding.

Otherwise, I think it'd be neat to see more Bird-shifters. So far only Tellius has really done them, so they seem quite underused. Maybe we could get some Eagles, or Falcons. Or even Seahawks... really, any NFL team will do.

1 minute ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Otherwise, I think it'd be neat to see more Bird-shifters. So far only Tellius has really done them, so they seem quite underused. Maybe we could get some Eagles, or Falcons. Or even Seahawks... really, any NFL team will do.

CLEVELAND BROWNS BABY LET'S GO!

I'd like to see some kind of shapeshifting character, yeah. So long as they're physically better designed than Panne, Yarne, Keaton, and Velouria, that is. Panne and Yarne's not-transformed designs are some of my least favorite in any video game I've ever played, and Keaton and Velouria's "wolfskin" forms are terrible.

On 9/16/2022 at 12:23 PM, vanguard333 said:

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn did have playable Dragon Laguz. In Path of Radiance, Ena is automatically recruited in chapter 28 if Ike fails to beat the Black Knight in chapter 27, while Nasir is automatically recruited if Ike succeeds. In Radiant Dawn, Kurthnaga and Ena are both automatically recruited just before the five-chapter endgame, and Gareth and Nasir are automatically recruited in chapter 4 of the endgame if they survived chapter 3 of the endgame. They didn't appear until very late in the two games, but they were playable.

I really hope that Alear is able to transform into a dragon; what's the point of a playable character that's a divine dragon if they don't have a dragon form (apologies to Gotoh and Xane)?

Dragon Laguz isn't the same species as Manaketes. The Tellius games is definitely the first two Fire Emblem games there are no actual Manaketes involved in that continent. Dragon Laguz is part of the Laguz species while Manaketes are their own thing.

I still think Engage might still have playable Manaketes involved in the story.

Edited by King Marth 64

12 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Dragon Laguz isn't the same species as Manaketes. The Tellius games is definitely the first two Fire Emblem games there are no actual Manaketes involved in that continent. Dragon Laguz is part of the Laguz species while Manaketes are their own thing.

I still think Engage might still have playable Manaketes involved in the story.

Okay; I guess I just assumed from the context that you were using "manakete" as a shorter way of saying "dragon shapeshifting unit".

If you're going by species specifically, then, since Alear is explicitly referred to as a divine dragon that's been asleep for 1,000 years, and they wake up in human form, it's safe to say that they are a manakete. The question is whether or not they'll actually be able to shapeshift in gameplay.

Between the mysterious girl and Alear's status, I'm very sure we're getting a Manakete/Dragon shapeshifter in the game. Plus, if they do extend the Emblems to characters outside of those on the mural then Tiki is a high possibility for inclusion.

Beast units I hope they're there, but I'm not as sure of when compared to dragons. Considering the game was meant to be a celebratory title I think they'll try to put them in like how Panne was added into Awakening as a homage to Laguz, but at the same time they are easy targets for IS to ignore if they'd prefer other classes. 

I'd say there's a reasonable chance. I just hope they'll be more integrated into the world like Laguz were, and not "Oh I guess this species also exists, but we only mention them in this one chapter so you can recruit one" like fatewakening.

Dragon units are pretty much guaranteed, between Alear being a Divine Dragon (a full one, even!) and Corrin being a ring.
Beast units are kind of a toss-up? I would say yes, if only because it would be easier to implement them in this game compared to Three Houses (reduced focus on combat arts, don't have to worry about 2x2/3x3 beast units, don't have to add in training Stones into the teaching mode) and that Heroes would like to have more Beast units that aren't its own characters. Main problem was that beast units, outside of the Laguz mechanics of PoR/RD, never had a niche in role or mechanics that Dragons could fulfill (1/1-2 range physical/magic damage, depending on the game).

However, with Brawling returning and the focus on having weapons that cannot be hit with Break, it seems like they may have their own niche.

I'm not really expecting to see beast units, but if they are here, one possibility would be to have one of the four realms be the beastfolk realm. That feels like something they could do a lot with if they really wanted to lean into the idea.