Explain Children?

Hrothgar777

Hi,

I'm asking for a general rundown of how the "children" mechanic works in FE4 and Awakening. For example, suppose that Awakening has such a unit and his name is Bob. Does he have to be the son of a specific two units? Or just one? Or none?

How do children inherit stats and abilities from their parents, if at all? And finally, how does this mechanic differ between FE4 and Awakening?

Can't speak on FE4, but can on Awakening.

There are 2nd gen child units, and they each have a designated mother (their mother will always be the same, but their fathers can vary). Chrom and M!Robin are the only male units to be designated fathers, having Lucina and F!Morgan respectively. 2nd gen units are listed here with their designated parent in the descriptions.

You as the player get to choose who the fathers will be (mothers in Chrom and M!Robin's case) for each of the child units by pairing 2 units of the opposite sex together and S-supporting them (though there is a hack that allows same-sex marriage). Different fathers provide different stats and classes for the children and it's up to you how you want to make your pairings and build your 2nd gen units.

Now for inheritance, children will inherit all of the classes of both their parents' class sets combined. For example:

• Severa is Cordelia's designated child. Cordelia has Pegasus Knight, Mercenary, and Dark Mage.
  • Cordelia marries Lon'qu. Lon'qu has Myrmidon, Thief, and Wyvern Rider.
  • Severa (already a Mercenary at base) inherits Pegasus Knight, Dark Mage, Myrmidon, Thief, and Wyvern Rider from her parents.

If a parent has a gender-locked class in their class set, their child will inherit an alternate class which tends to vary from parent to parent (but I do have a mod that removes the gender-lock lol). Also, any child of Robin will inherit all available playable classes in the game.

For the child's stats, each child will have their own personal base growths listed here, Their actual growth rates, however, will be an average of their personal growth rates and both their mother and father's growth rates. I'll just use one stat for an example, but there is an example listed in the page I just linked:

• (I'll use Cordelia/Lon'qu/Severa again lol)
  • Severa's personal SPD growth is 35, Cordelia's personal SPD growth is 35, Lon'qu's personal SPD growth is 50
  • (35 + 35 + 50) / 3 = 40
    • So, if Lon'qu is Severa's father, then her base SPD growth will be 40%.

Base stats and stat caps will also be an average of their own personal stats and their parents stats.

Lastly, skill inheritance is very simple actually. The child will inherit the skill in the last slot their parents have upon beginning the paralogue where you recruit the child; ie. If Cordelia has Rally Speed in her last skill slot, then Severa will inherit Rally Speed from Cordelia. You can adjust which skill they inherit by switching up which skill is in their last skill slot before you start the paralogue.

And that's pretty much child unit building in a nutshell haha. If I missed anything, I'm sure there's someone who could correct me or add on any details I missed.

Edited by LJ_Reflet

LJ_Reflet gave a pretty comprehensive guide for Awakening so I'll do Genealogy lol.

The main SF site has a pretty comprehensive guide which I shall link here. However to summarise:

Similarly to Awakening, children all linked to the mothers. This time however, each mother has two children, a son and a daughter.

For the most part, the son will be more influenced by his father and the daughter by her mother.

A child's growths are determined by their same-gendered parents growths + half of their parents other growths, with the holy blood growths added after.

A child will inherit both their parents holy blood, but if one parents has major holy blood, the child of the same gender as that parent will inherit the holy blood while the other child will get minor blood. If both parents have minor blood of the same type, both children will get major holy blood.

Children inherit their same-gendered parents inventories and the personal skills of both parents. However, weapons can only be inherited if the child can use them in their base class. For example, Aidean's son Lester can only inherit bows from his father, but not swords or axes. If the parent has a sword-skill (Astra, Luna, Sol), they can only be passed down if the child uses swords. An exception to this is holy weapons. If a child inherits major blood off their parent who also passes down a holy weapon, the child will always get the holy weapon even if they can't use it. For example, if Levin fathers Coipre, he will get Forseti (if Levin has it of course) despite starting off as a priest, therefore being unable to use the tome until he promotes. Children also inherit a fraction of both of their parents gold.

There are two exceptions to the above rules however where the genders are swapped, being Ethlyn and Brigid. Ethlyn's son inherits more from her while her daughter inherits from her father. Same for Brigid, her son inherits from here and her daughter from her father.

Due to the fact that pairing is required in this game unlike in Awakening where it optional (bar Lucina), each child has a respective substitute unit if their mother isn't paired up before the end of generation 1 (who is generally considered worse in all ways). The exceptions to this are of course Seliph, Julia, Leif and Altenna who's parents are always paired off.

And that's pretty much it.

Edited by Azz

If a child inherits major blood off their parent who also passes down a holy weapon, the child will always get the holy weapon even if they can't use it. For example, if Levin fathers Coipre, he will get Forseti (if Levin has it of course) despite starting off as a priest, therefore being unable to use the tome until he promotes.

But if Levin and Brigid get married, Asval won't inherit Forseti, will he? It has to be a character who can use the weapon eventually.

One more thing. Even if Ayra marries Holyn, their kids won't be able to obtain the Odo holy weapon (though they'll both have major odo). The holy blood will only benefit their stat growth, and give them a pointless * in swords.

Fates's child system is fundamentally like Awakening's, but there are differences;

First, this time the children are tied to the men (with Azura and a female Corrin as the exceptions). Second, instead of getting every class from the parents, they only get two (one from the father and one from the mother); there are special cases though. Third, unlike was the case in Awakening, paralolgues scale with your story progress, which is to say, the enemy levels (and that of the child as well) are dependent on how far you are in the story. All this being said, there is a special case that is exclusive to Birthright; Midori. Whilst she can conceivably be unlocked as soon as you get Kaze in Revelation and Conquest, this is NOT the case in Birthright. Why? Because her father can potentially get killed off in a cutscene after clearing chapter 15.

12 hours ago, Original Johan Liebert said:

But if Levin and Brigid get married, Asval won't inherit Forseti, will he? It has to be a character who can use the weapon eventually.

One more thing. Even if Ayra marries Holyn, their kids won't be able to obtain the Odo holy weapon (though they'll both have major odo). The holy blood will only benefit their stat growth, and give them a pointless * in swords.

It's an anomaly, but both Forseti and the Valkyrie Staff can get passed down to children who will never be able to use them if Levin or Claud have them in their inventories. For example, if Aideen and Claud get married, Lester will inherit the Valkyrie Staff, even though he will never be able to use it. For the example you used, if Brigid and Levin got married, Patty would inherit Forseti and major Forseti HB, since Asval inherits from Brigid.

Edited by Azz

12 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Fates's child system is fundamentally like Awakening's, but there are differences;

First, this time the children are tied to the men (with Azura and a female Corrin as the exceptions). Second, instead of getting every class from the parents, they only get two (one from the father and one from the mother); there are special cases though. Third, unlike was the case in Awakening, paralolgues scale with your story progress, which is to say, the enemy levels (and that of the child as well) are dependent on how far you are in the story. All this being said, there is a special case that is exclusive to Birthright; Midori. Whilst she can conceivably be unlocked as soon as you get Kaze in Revelation and Conquest, this is NOT the case in Birthright. Why? Because her father can potentially get killed off in a cutscene after clearing chapter 15.

They have that in Fates too?

How? From what I remember there was no timeskip or future people traveling to the past.

5 hours ago, Hrothgar777 said:

They have that in Fates too?

How? From what I remember there was no timeskip or future people traveling to the past.

The above post explains it. Simply put, the Deeprealms are something like the Hyperbolic Time Chamber in Dragon Ball.

On 9/20/2022 at 2:07 AM, LJ_Reflet said:

(though there is a hack that allows same-sex marriage). 

Wait so how does that hack work? If you pair girls with girls you get the kids of both, but pairing boys with boys always results in no kids? Or are the boys given designated kids?

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Wait so how does that hack work? If you pair girls with girls you get the kids of both, but pairing boys with boys always results in no kids? Or are the boys given designated kids?

Yeah, basically.

Female-female pairings (if they have children) always results in 2 kids. Male-male pairings with the exception of Chrom/M!Robin won't have children, of course.

Up until recently, children of same-sex pairings didn't automatically recognize each other as siblings and would require save editing to unlock sibling supports, but very recently a code patch has been made to make this automatic. However, children of same-sex pairings automatically recognize both parents and their parent/child supports will be unlocked upon recruitment.

The game just unlocks paralogues if the child-bearing unit is flagged with an S-support, which is why child paralogues unlock even with same-sex marriage.

Fates on the other hand has something in its code that blocks same-sex pairings from unlocking child units, which is why M!Corrin/Niles and F!Corrin/Rhajat can't unlock their children in the vanilla game. However, thankfully there is a code patch made that allows for same-sex pairings to naturally unlock the child paralogues.

Edited by LJ_Reflet

7 minutes ago, LJ_Reflet said:

Yeah, basically.

Female-female pairings (if they have children) always results in 2 kids. Male-male pairings with the exception of Chrom/M!Robin won't have children, of course.

Up until recently, children of same-sex pairings didn't automatically recognize each other as siblings and would require save editing to unlock sibling supports, but very recently a code patch has been made to make this automatic. However, children of same-sex pairings automatically recognize both parents and their parent/child supports will be unlocked upon recruitment.

The game just unlocks paralogues if the child-bearing unit is flagged with an S-support, which is why child paralogues unlock even with same-sex marriage.

Fates on the other hand has something in its code that blocks same-sex pairings from unlocking child units, which is why M!Corrin/Niles and F!Corrin/Rhajat can't unlock their children in the vanilla game. However, thankfully there is a code patch made that allows for same-sex pairings to naturally unlock the child paralogues.

And does that mean you can turn a bunch of units like Cynthia and Gerome into Manaketes/Laguz by pairing their mother with Tiki/Nowi/Panne? 

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

And does that mean you can turn a bunch of units like Cynthia and Gerome into Manaketes/Laguz by pairing their mother with Tiki/Nowi/Panne? 

Technically speaking, yeah haha.

It's just, as of the latest release of the Gay Awakening mod, several of Panne, Tiki, and Nowi's new support chains haven't been coded or even written yet so, say, Manakete or Taguel Cynthia cannot be achieved at the moment.

(Or technically it can LOL. From what I know, the mod allows you to support 2 units together even if their support conversation hasn't been implemented in game, but you end up with an empty support conversation lol)

According to the spreadsheet, with the current implemented supports, Taguel and Manakete are only obtainable (with written supports) by:

• Severa (Taguel only)
  • Inigo (Taguel only)
  • Noire (Manakete only)
  • Gerome (Manakete only)
  • Anybody else not mentioned will just have empty supports

However, you can manually code in supports yourself (I've done so many times) if the support conversation has already been written, cause the head of the project posts them publicly on the spreadsheet haha.

(also, aside from Taguel/Manakete inheritance, the gay marriage mod even allows for Laurent, Gerome, and Yarne to inherit Galeforce LOL)

Edited by LJ_Reflet

10 minutes ago, LJ_Reflet said:

Technically speaking, yeah haha.

It's just, as of the latest release of the Gay Awakening mod, several of Panne, Tiki, and Nowi's new support chains haven't been coded or even written yet so, say, Manakete or Taguel Cynthia cannot be achieved at the moment.

(Or technically it can LOL. From what I know, the mod allows you to support 2 units together even if their support conversation hasn't been implemented in game, but you end up with an empty support conversation lol)

According to the spreadsheet, with the current implemented supports, Taguel and Manakete are only obtainable (with written supports) by:

• Severa (Taguel only)
  • Inigo (Taguel only)
  • Noire (Manakete only)
  • Gerome (Manakete only)
  • Anybody else not mentioned will just have empty supports

However, you can manually code in supports yourself (I've done so many times) if the support conversation has already been written, cause the head of the project posts them publicly on the spreadsheet haha.

(also, aside from Taguel/Manakete inheritance, the gay marriage mod even allows for Laurent, Gerome, and Yarne to inherit Galeforce LOL)

Wow, seeing Gerome in that manakete attire would be...something.

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Wow, seeing Gerome in that manakete attire would be...something.

Oh wait FRICK, I totally forgot Manakete is gender-locked LMAO. ignore what I said about manakete gerome alsjflaksdj

I didn't include Manakete in my own gender-lock removal mod, but there IS a male Manakete mod out there where Gerome can inherit it, but it's completely separate from the Gay Awakening mod--yet still compatible.

my bad LOL

Edited by LJ_Reflet