What characters do you wish had a face?

So I talked about this briefly in the general discussion topic, but I think it deserves its own thread. This game uses generic boss portraits for semi major characters a lot. Probably even  more so than Three Houses. I think the most obvious example is Baron Dominic. He was already a pretty noteworthy character in Three Houses, being the boss of a paralogue and a relative to two playable characters. In Three Hopes he's the final boss of an entire chapter! One where you need to beat Gustav and Anette first. And then in another route he has his own subplot. It's kind of hilarious how much attention he gets while wandering around in generic Great Lord armour. And of the faceless characters in Three Houses he's the one you could most easily give a face to by just simply having him take off his helmet (he also doesn't even get a real name while, somehow, his offscreen son does). To a lesser extent I also kind of feel this way about Monica's father, but he only shows up like once in Three Hopes.

Another character I feel deserves a face is Mycen. He's not a particularly deep character and never does anything but show up and attack the party at random points, but I feel his multiple appearances in Three Houses and Three Hopes combined make him a character that deserves to have his own character design. To some extent I feel all the named Agarthans should have their own character design, but Mycen stands out the most.

The last one I feel could do with a character design is the boss of Sylvain's paralogue. A guy from Sreng who spent time in Fodlan. That's just, kind of a cool idea and the relationship he has with Sylvain's family is an interesting one. And also, just in general, we have no examples of characters from Sreng (unless you want to count the Windcaller who's been hanging out there a pretty long time), so he could have been a good opportunity to show off some distinct visual design in the same way Peta's outfit is pretty distinct from the rest of the cast.

For me, I was thinking about characters that were mentioned in supports but were never revealed.

I would have loved to see characters like Claude's mother, Ignatz's mother and brother, Maya (Raphael's sister), and some of the other characters' mothers because their fathers were shown but never their mothers.

Probably Margrave Edmund. He's a consistently helpful yet scheming presence in Golden wildfire, somewhat of a self made man that even Holst considers a ''hero of the age'' and his relation with Marianne goes through a little arc.

From the Kingdom there's viscount Kleiman who's responsible for all Dimitri's and Dedues woes yet never got a face or much of a presence in the narrative. I also think Count Rowe should have a face since he's Yuri's ''dad'' and Ashe's lord.

Caspar's older brother. Edelgard says he's completely useless so he'd have been a fun Narcian kind of villain. On the other hand his conduct during Aegir's rebellion seems mostly honorable so he'd have a good shot at finding redemption too. 

Almyra in general. It feels wrong that the ''Arabian'' faction has the exact same outfits and skintome as the other European factions. 

32 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Almyra in general. It feels wrong that the ''Arabian'' faction has the exact same outfits and skintome as the other European factions. 

Feels wrong that Nader is somehow still unplayable.

6 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Feels wrong that ALOIS is somehow still unplayable!

Indeed, that is just inexplicable considering you can get him to actually join your army, but at least he was playable in Three Houses.

He hasn't really appeared but the heir of house Menja could have been an interesting character. He's a very pro Edelgard guy who seems to have taken over his house and send his anti Edelgard dad to Duke Aegir to die there. House Menja supposedly also controls the Imperial fleet so he could have a corsair gimick.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

I definitely agree with the Sreng character. If I recall, I think his name is actually Leif, I could be misremembering but I think in one of the books, it mentions a Sreng heir or something being sent to House Gautier as a peace sign or something. I feel like fleshing him out would be interesting. We’d be able to get a Sreng perspective, and he has an almost good relationship with Sylvain.

I really thought we’d see House Kleiman get fleshed out. To be honest there’s so many house heads who should’ve gotten unique models but didn’t. Like they don’t have to be anything special, literally just a unique face would do a lot to expand the world, cuz having these characters as faceless deepens a lot of impact they could have.

On 9/22/2022 at 7:20 PM, Metal Flash said:

Simon Dominic: sounds like an interesting fellow

Yeah. The game lazily gives him the portrait of an archer, but him being an older more boyish version of Annette would have been a perfect addition.

On 9/22/2022 at 7:20 PM, Metal Flash said:

I wanna see what the (redacted) Riegans look like

I always imagined their natural hair color was blue since they're pretty much Ostians but in Fodlan. Same as how the Leicester Lausians have purple hair like Darin did. 

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Yeah. The game lazily gives him the portrait of an archer, but him being an older more boyish version of Annette would have been a perfect addition.

Heck, he could even look like a younger Gilbert, just with a more "bard-like" outfit. 

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I always imagined their natural hair color was blue since they're pretty much Ostians but in Fodlan. Same as how the Leicester Lausians have purple hair like Darin did. 

I could see that.

I wish they gave more of the mom's in Three Houses faces, or as much focus as they did the dads. (for example, Annette's Mother, Bernadetta's Mother, Felix's Mother). I feel like they tend to focus on the dad's in that game while giving the mom's little to no attention or detail, even when they both have the same relevance to the story.

11 hours ago, Ardenna June said:

I wish they gave more of the mom's in Three Houses faces, or as much focus as they did the dads. (for example, Annette's Mother, Bernadetta's Mother, Felix's Mother). I feel like they tend to focus on the dad's in that game while giving the mom's little to no attention or detail, even when they both have the same relevance to the story.

Me too, especially since Three Hopes gave faces to some of the dads (Sylvain, Lorenz, Caspar, Linhardt).

Edited by Metal Flash

1 hour ago, Metal Flash said:

Me too, especially since Three Hopes gave faces to some of the dads (Sylvain, Lorenz, Caspar, Linhardt).

We just need to wait for the third installment of the trilogy, Three Harems. That will introduce the Milfs.

57 minutes ago, Jotari said:

We just need to wait for the third installment of the trilogy, Three Harems. That will introduce the Milfs.

Except none of them are romanceable, but the dads are.

In all seriousness, I wouldn`t be opposed to them getting unique designs as NPCs in DLC. Or even through some kind of artbook. I just want some more Milfs in FE.

12 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

Except none of them are romanceable, but the dads are.

In all seriousness, I wouldn`t be opposed to them getting unique designs as NPCs in DLC. Or even through some kind of artbook. I just want some more Milfs in FE.

Coming to think of it, how many mothers are actually seen in the totality of the two Fodlan games? Because I can think of only Sitri in some stills from the DLC and Sothis. Maybe Rhea too in the Frankenstein sense and that's literally it. So in a game with a cast of like a fifty or sixty characters we have only two characters with visibly seen mothers (and even Sothis is a weird case). For a game with around  50% female playable characters, that's sort of odd. I mean it kind of applied to father's too in Three Houses but even then we at least had Rodrigue, Gilbert, Ionius, Duke Aeigr, Alois and Jearlt (probably one or two more I'm forgetting, Lambert in a flashback).

I guess if I think and compare it to Fates it's not actually that odd as the only parents from that game we see (that we don't make ourselves) are Sumeragi, Arete and Mikoto (making it almost a father free zone if not for Sumeragi's zombie and later Anankos's weird clone thing). Awakening is even worse with zero parents that I can think of, though Chrom has to be made one by the plot. Fodlan just has more robust world building than Fatewakening so it stands out a lot more, especially when Three Hopes came along and gave appearances to the politically important patriarchs and had no oppertunity or inclination to show the mothers.

Edited by Jotari

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Coming to think of it, how many mothers are actually seen in the totality of the two Fodlan games? Because I can think of only Sitri in some stills from the DLC and Sothis. Maybe Rhea too in the Frankenstein sense and that's literally it. So in a game with a cast of like a fifty or sixty characters we have only two characters with visibly seen mothers (and even Sothis is a weird case). For a game with around  50% female playable characters, that's sort of odd. I mean it kind of applied to father's too in Three Houses but even then we at least had Rodrigue, Gilbert, Ionius, Duke Aeigr, Alois and Jearlt (probably one or two more I'm forgetting, Lambert in a flashback).

I guess if I think and compare it to Fates it's not actually that odd as the only parents from that game we see (that we don't make ourselves) are Sumeragi, Arete and Mikoto (making it almost a father free zone if not for Sumeragi's zombie and later Anankos's weird clone thing). Awakening is even worse with zero parents that I can think of, though Chrom has to be made one by the plot. Fodlan just has more robust world building than Fatewakening so it stands out a lot more, especially when Three Hopes came along and gave appearances to the politically important patriarchs and had no oppertunity or inclination to show the mothers.

I mean, FE has always showed more dads than moms. But yeah, given the amount female characters we have, it is odd so few of them are mothers.

And it`s not like they are averse to giving women those positions of power, Judith is head of House Daphnel and has a unique portrait. 

2 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

I mean, FE has always showed more dads than moms. But yeah, given the amount female characters we have, it is odd so few of them are mothers.

And it`s not like they are averse to giving women those positions of power, Judith is head of House Daphnel and has a unique portrait. 

Not playable though T.T

And Manuela is like, one of the best portrayals of a middle aged woman dealing with middle aged woman issues that I've seen this side of a soap opera.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Not playable though T.T

And Manuela is like, one of the best portrayals of a middle aged woman dealing with middle aged woman issues that I've seen this side of a soap opera.

True, as much as many want her to be.

She is also one of the few times I`ve seen the "christmas cake" trope done well. Instead of just being single cause "haha, funni", her messiness and short temper give actual reasons for why she has yet to keep a man.

And yet, Mercedes and Bernadetta`s moms remain faceless, despite how signifigant they are in their children`s lives and how much we learn about them.

21 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

And yet, Mercedes and Bernadetta`s moms remain faceless, despite how signifigant they are in their children`s lives and how much we learn about them.

Or Balthus' stepmom who's very significant to Balthus life in a negative aspect. She'd make a rather good Hilda archetype.

After playing the Arval paralogue I'm going to have to add 

Spoiler

Indech and Macuil to the list. You don't fight them in the chapter, but I really wish you did. But it's just random chance the only two saints we see in that battle were the ones still around now adays >.> We have some designs for them from the monastery statues, but it's really rough. We also know weapons they use due to the existence of the Inexhausible and Wind God's Genesis (though Macuil is holding a sword, but his get up is a total mage's outfit so making him a Dark Bishop would be appropriate). It would have been great to see their human forms with proper designs. Especially when it comes to the time for Heroes to put them in as breath units.