Shanty Pete's 1st Mate

Battle of the Battalions, Round 4: Cadets from the Kingdom

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Not sure who'd be up to the solo bosskill, though...

It's an easy kill with the Thunderbrand, since you only need 34 atk and 8 AS to one round him. With +4 atk battalion and Rally Strength, anyone with 13 Strength could one round with so long as they can double him.

Or you could have Catherine smack him with a mace. That works pretty well too.

Edited by LoneRecon400

Kingdom Infantry: 5/10. Seiros Mercs who you have to pay for and join a chapter later on getting training.  Usable but gets a minor score dock.  (Also, since Lure makes its reappearance, it should be noted that in the alternate world where 3H had very impactful terrain - seen in some of the Cindered Shadows maps where there's +40 Avo terrain right next to +0 Avo terrain - Lure would get more hype.  Just that doesn't really happen that often.  Would be great for getting FE6 bosses off their thrones, though!)

Kingdom Lance Co. 3/10. Agree with others, it's Jeralt's Mercs if they joined a chapter later and were slightly worse.  Not unusable or anything, but outclassed.

Kingdom Brawlers: 6/10. See Empire Brawlers, yep.

Kingdom Magic Corp: 5/10. Yet another filler mage battalion.  Also, googling it up...  Resonant Ice is -10 Hit for a measly +1 Power?  That is not a good trade.  Not a huge deal but sure, -1 vs. Seiros Magic Corps.

Kingdom Knights: 7/10.  Yep, another copy of Knights of Seiros.  Assault Troop is pretty cool.

Edited by SnowFire

Kingdom Infantry - 4/10

Not particularly bad nor good. Will probably get bought but won't be fielded for very long.

Kingdom Lance Co - 3/10

At this stage, it's the worst BL battalion that gives a boost to physical attack. I'd probably leave it, as BL has slightly less battalion pressure than other routes thanks to having both Felix and later Catherine (although arguably you equip battalions on them anyway so they can earn more Authority? Jury's out on whether I should do this in the early game or not). 

Kingdom Brawlers - 5/10

See Empire Brawlers.

Kingdom Magic Corps - 5/10

I still value magic battalions at this point as above average - I'm likely to run two magic attackers and a healer once Ashen Wolves come into play, and mages are capable of doubling so appreciate Atk boosts wherever they get them. But Resonant Ice is less accurate, and there's no easy Frozen Lance availability at this point in BL, so it's less valuable than on other routes. 

Kingdom Knights - 6/10

Better stat spread than Knights of Seiros, and will see use for a while - but I much prefer Blaze to Assault Troop, so this won't score as highly as the other equivalent battalions. 

Kingdom Infantry: 2.5 out of 10 Waaaay better than Empire Infantry, but still a side-grade to Seiros Mercenaries/Church of Seiros Soldiers. Those two should be leveled up by chapter 3, and there's at least two better E rank filler choices in the form of the brawlers and Lance Co. Spend your money on those instead.

Kingdom Lance Co: 4.0 out of 10. It's Kingdom Brawlers, but with a gambit swap and slightly worse stats. Still that's....pretty good for an E rank filler. Maybe you want TWO copies of Kingdom Brawlers? Especially with the Blue Lions being the most physically oriented batch of students in the game. At the very least I wouldn't expect your money would be wasted if you were committing to using all 9 units in this route.

Kingdom Brawlers: 5.0 out of 10. BL are the best students for the Brawlers. Even Felix would gladly take this over his personal, on account of it helping him equip better stuff later. +4 attack is also great assurance that Dedue's One-Two Punch can stay in ORKO range. He loves fighting in forests with that move and its +20 Hit, so the avoid boost helps him out in that environment too. 

Kingdom Magic Corps: 2.0 out of 10. Wow, I'm only just noticing the balance (?) decisions between Group Flames/Ice/Lightning. That's awful, Maybe I should have ranked the Empire one a half point higher for raw comparison sake. This battalion offers a point of protection over Seiros Magic corps but otherwise provides the same stats in exchange for the less accurate gambit. The Blue Lions have only one unit that can be considered a combat mage and I'd still choose the Seiros version for her over this.

Kingdom Knights: 6.5 out of 10. Better stats and gambit than Knights of Seiros. Dimitri and Byleth can upgrade to this so that they can let someone else play with Jeralts Mercs. Assault Troop is better than Blaze 9 turns out of 10 by virtue of having a second use. Blaze would be ideal for its armor breaking potential against a monster, but the amount of monsters you fight before chapter 8 is exactly one, unless you encounter them in auxilliary battles. And in chapter 8 BL, you've got three Fusilade batallions to choose from (one comes from recruiting Shamir, the others are purchased). Fusilade is definitely more versatile than Blaze for the Sothis paralogue, so the Knights of Seiros may very well be outdated by this point of the game.

9 hours ago, haarhaarhaar said:

At this stage, it's the worst BL battalion that gives a boost to physical attack. I'd probably leave it, as BL has slightly less battalion pressure than other routes thanks to having both Felix and later Catherine (although arguably you equip battalions on them anyway so they can earn more Authority? Jury's out on whether I should do this in the early game or not). 

Jury's not out for me. My Felix makes use of his personal for one and only one map - chapter 2. Because there are only three batallions to go around and surely the player is feeding kills to at least Byleth, Dimitri and Dedue. Felix should have jeralts mercs in the forced auxilliary battle of chapter 2 so that he doesn't kill the enemies as quickly and can squeeze more skill exp and batallion levels. The walk from E authority to D authority is pretty short, and it's the only part of the game where he's getting the same 1 point that every other unit is on a round of combat that don't have a proficiency.

On 10/1/2022 at 3:15 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Potential counter-point: Monk is a bigger upgrade for the Noble/Commoner class than any other Beginner class. The Beginner classes have low bases that rarely matter (unless you're doing something really weird, like training Linhardt in Axes or Petra in Reason), and otherwise, each class only provides a +1 modifier to a single stat. So the question is, what other difference is there? Well, Monk increases your unit's spell count, from half to full. The Linhardt who could previously only use 5 Heals per map, now gets 10. Your magic users become massively more useful upon hitting Monk. Conversely, the other classes (Fighter, Soldier, Myrmidon) can all be considered a downgrade in this regard, as they eliminate any spell access whatsoever. 

I've never thought about it that way. Slinging spells in levels 5 to 10 would be pretty cool, even if it was JUST Heal or JUST Fire. That's why Lorenz is such an early game threat, packing both Tempest Lance for kills and Fire for accurate chip damage. Dunno how many Healers I want on the squad when the free experience of that spell can only be spread so thin until it stops mattering. Draw Back is also a more versatile movement skill compared to Shove. But I think most of my physical units would prefer to get Str +2. Like HP+5, that's something they'll benefit from for so long. Byleth I think might want to try this early hybrid strategy if you're content with keeping them in Enlightened One/Sword-using classes. Myrmidon doesn't offer much. The only problem with this strategy is how far away Byleth is from their first spells - having to rely on faculty training which is a costly use of your activity points so early in the game.

One thing to note here is that the Blue Lions have more reason than the other two houses to train up Authority rank early on multiple units. They have the best early game rally unit in the form of Annette, they have Dimitri who will often want to rush to A rank for B. Vantage + B. Wrath, and they also have more and earlier Part 1 paralogues than the other houses, giving quick access to a lot of nice B rank battalions. This means that their E rank battalions probably aren't seeing as much play as in other houses, and their C ranks are probably seeing a bit more play.

Kingdom Infantry: 5/10. Meh. Not bad. Also not exciting. Just meh.

Kingdom Lance Co: 2/10. These aren't awful (for their authority rank and join time), but they're simply outclassed by the other available option that have some combination of more hit, more prot, or a better gambit. I'm trying to imagine the circumstances where I'm using this, and it's tricky. Maybe if I'm doing a team of 10 physical attackers?

Kingdom Brawlers: 5/10. Literally the same as the Empire Brawlers in every respect except name. The plus side here is that they aren't competing against the Empire Archers. The down side is that you're probably rushing more units through E rank as fast as possible. The overall same score seems right, though.

Kingdom Magic Corps: 5/10. I find this pretty clearly worse than the Seiros Magic Corps by virtue of the less accurate gambit. This means that if I'm only getting one of the two, then it isn't going to be this one. So the question is, how many magic wielders am I running? Sometimes it's just going to be Annette and Mercedes, in which case this is langushing unused. Sometimes I'm going to have recruited Hapi or Constance, or I'm going to be trying a magic build on Sylvain or Ingrid, in which case this makes the cut. "Maybe I'll use it sometimes but I'm not going to be enthusiastic about it" is pretty much the definition of a 5/10 on my scoring scale.

Kingdom Knights: 6.5/10. Given my opening comments, I'm unlikely to be choosing between this and Seiros Knights, and much more likely to want to get both. And overall, they do a pretty similar job. The stats on this are a little bit better, but I value the first copy of Blaze more than the second copy of Assault Troops, so I rank them basically evenly.

14 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Jury's not out for me. My Felix makes use of his personal for one and only one map - chapter 2. Because there are only three batallions to go around and surely the player is feeding kills to at least Byleth, Dimitri and Dedue. Felix should have jeralts mercs in the forced auxilliary battle of chapter 2 so that he doesn't kill the enemies as quickly and can squeeze more skill exp and batallion levels. The walk from E authority to D authority is pretty short, and it's the only part of the game where he's getting the same 1 point that every other unit is on a round of combat that don't have a proficiency

All fair points. Felix sees a lot of early game combat for me, so I'm normally comfortable he will reach his certification requirements without significant effort, meaning Authority will always be one of his goals, and potentially his focus goal depending on what Felix build I want. Since that's the case, I often alternate between fielding and not fielding battalions on him early on, depending on how challenged I feel by the map. Out of the early game, the net benefit of Authority starts outweighing the attack boost Felix gets, so the calculus then shifts towards Authority.