Never knew there was a FE Forum

Alear

It's cool to see that there's a forum for Fire Emblem aside from reddit.

Nice to meet you guys, my name is Alear and I've played every single main series Fire Emblem game. I'm a huge fan of SRPGs so do let me know if you have any recommendations! Right now, I'm finishing all the routes in Triangle Strategy while waiting for Engage to release. My favorite game in the series is Echoes and I love how they stayed respective to the original FE2 by having similar maps, and easter eggs like the dread fighter promoting to villager.

Edited by Alear

2 hours ago, Alear said:

Nice to meet you guys, my name is Alear

Wow. Congrats on being cast in the new game.

and I've played every single main series Fire Emblem game. I'm a huge fan of SRPGs so do let me know if you have any recommendations!

I'd be more interested to hear YOUR recommendations if you've found time to work your way down the entire Fire Emblem catalogue. I've tried quite a few SRPGs, but it's rare for them to leave me as invested as Fire Emblem can. Permadeath is a great penalty for making mistakes, but I also like that these games are built around permadeath by still dumping more, powerful units in your roster to keep things doable, or at least throws in Mila's Turnwheel so that you can personally correct and learn from your mistakes. Both approaches are great. I also like that Fire Emblem is relatively short for this genre, or at least it used to be, with 20-30 hour play times. I like a game that's always moving forward and doesn't expect me to grind or dive into all its side content in order to keep up in levels. 

As for my own recommendations, I can't think of anything I definitely enjoyed that's relatively close to Fire Emblem in terms of aesthetics or gameplay mechanics. In fact, the only SRPGs of the 21st century I genuinely recommend are XCOM Enemy Unknown/Within, and Mario + Rabbids (no, really, this game is insanely fun. So is the DLC, and I can't wait for the sequel). Banner Saga might be worth a look too, but I feel like its tactics gameplay wasn't as captivating as the Oregon Trail-esque decisions you make throughout the journey that have long term consequences. Plus your progress carries over game to game, which keeps your playthrough feeling unique. If you want something more retro, Shining Force 1 felt very FE1 inspired. I'll have to try its sequel one of these days. There's also Lord Monarch Online e, which is free to download and you can get a primer on here. This one is an RTS with no rpg mechanics going from map to map, but it's pretty fun to pick up and play.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

Hello! I'm also a big FE fan, having played every game in the series. Thracia 776 has to be my favorite though. SMT Devil Survivor, Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children, Triangle Strategy are some other games of this genre that I've enjoyed. The main thing I like about these games is the feeling of coming out on top against overwhelming odds, which is hard to find from any other genre. I'm currently trying to get a Golden Ending clear on Triangle Strategy as well. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Edited by windypanda1

5 hours ago, Alear said:

I've played every single main series Fire Emblem game. I'm a huge fan of SRPGs so do let me know if you have any recommendations!

I feel like the no-brainer answer is the Kaga-Saga games, if you haven't played them already. TearRing Saga is very old school Fire Emblem in feel, and has a solid fan translation. Berwick Saga diverges from the standard Fire Emblem, and again, excellent translation patch is available for it. Finally Vestaria Saga 1 & "2" (Originally Vestaria Saga 2's Japanese name was Veestaria Saga Gaiden: The Sacred Sword of Silvanister...) has an official English release on Steam, both of which go back to a far more Fire Emblem feel.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

How did you manage to play the first few games without discovering Serenes? Isn't this place the go to location for the translation patches? Or am I behind the times.

Romhacking.net tends to act as a more universal repository for rom hacks, so perhaps they dug them up on there (as I am fairly certain most of the translation patches are on that site as well). I think most people just use google, which will bring them here, but perhaps the user is suave enough to be searching through a site dedicated to rom hacking...

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

How did you manage to play the first few games without discovering Serenes? Isn't this place the go to location for the translation patches? Or am I behind the times.

I tend to go here as a repository of links, though it can be slightly behind very new releases: https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Fan_translation

Welcome to the Forest, Alear!

Wait a second. How are you here already? Your game's coming out next year. Go back to sleep.

I don't have  any recommendations in SRPGs other than FE, FF Tactics / Tactics Ogre and XCOM (Mario + Rabbids is a solid XCOM too). You might also watch out for NIS titles (Disgaea and such).

Anyway, have a nice day and enjoy your stay!

Welcome to the Serenity Forest of all things Serene, Alear! (Must....Resist...Making An... FE Engage Joke...)

Hold up, where in the name of all things pumpernickel is your female counterpart, Alear? Last I checked, there were two of you, right? Unless... Ah, nevermind, my crackpot theories would serve no good in an Introductions thread. Tell Vander I said hi.

Only SRPG that comes to mind for recommendations other than Fire Emblem would be Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. Great strategy game that one, looking forward to the sequel when it releases next month. 

Wait, Triangle Strategy has a route split?

22 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, I found the patch through romhacking.net which Eltosian kindly answered for me.

22 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Wow. Congrats on being cast in the new game.

Thanks haha!

I've tried quite a few SRPGs, but it's rare for them to leave me as invested as Fire Emblem can. Permadeath is a great penalty for making mistakes, but I also like that these games are built around permadeath by still dumping more, powerful units in your roster to keep things doable, or at least throws in Mila's Turnwheel so that you can personally correct and learn from your mistakes. Both approaches are great. I also like that Fire Emblem is relatively short for this genre, or at least it used to be, with 20-30 hour play times. I like a game that's always moving forward and doesn't expect me to grind or dive into all its side content in order to keep up in levels. 

Oh I definitely think permadeath is essential in making a game based on war more fun. Maybe fun isn't the right word but it makes it feel if you're decisions actually matter, that you're there as the strategist who holds the units' lives in your hand. I know that some people don't care who dies as long as the game is completed, but I like to go the extra mile of keeping everyone alive so its so frustrating to lose any character, especially on an incredibly difficult map that takes forever to complete like Conquest lunatic chapter 17.

I'd be more interested to hear YOUR recommendations if you've found time to work your way down the entire Fire Emblem catalogue...

As for my own recommendations, I can't think of anything I definitely enjoyed that's relatively close to Fire Emblem in terms of aesthetics or gameplay mechanics. In fact, the only SRPGs of the 21st century I genuinely recommend are XCOM Enemy Unknown/Within, and Mario + Rabbids (no, really, this game is insanely fun. So is the DLC, and I can't wait for the sequel). Banner Saga might be worth a look too, but I feel like its tactics gameplay wasn't as captivating as the Oregon Trail-esque decisions you make throughout the journey that have long term consequences. Plus your progress carries over game to game, which keeps your playthrough feeling unique. If you want something more retro, Shining Force 1 felt very FE1 inspired. I'll have to try its sequel one of these days. There's also Lord Monarch Online e, which is free to download and you can get a primer on here. This one is an RTS with no rpg mechanics going from map to map, but it's pretty fun to pick up and play.

I have two different rankings for Fire Emblem games, one based on how challenging/how creative the maps are. Sacred Stones and Echoes are my favorite games but they're pretty low on this list because of how easy they are as you can grind infinite xp from dungeons. Radiant Dawn is also ranked higher than POR in this list because the gameplay was just better imo. My second list is my personal favorites/best stories in order. In this list, POR is above Radiant Dawn.

For my recommendations, FFT, Tactic Wars, and Ogre Tactics are among my favorites. Triangle Strategy's gameplay is super similar to Ogre Tactics but I'm not too surprised because they're both produced by Square Enix. Disgaea is also really good but that's because I have dumb humor. As far as gameplay goes though it's not bad. If you're more into permadeath games though, I'd recommend the rest of the Kaga games (TRS) if you haven't gotten through those yet. He's the creator of the first 5 Fire Emblem games so you'll find some similarities between the 2 series.

Definitely going to play Banner Saga after Triangle Strategy. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll look into them when I have the time!

20 hours ago, windypanda1 said:

Hello! I'm also a big FE fan, having played every game in the series. Thracia 776 has to be my favorite though. SMT Devil Survivor, Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children, Triangle Strategy are some other games of this genre that I've enjoyed. The main thing I like about these games is the feeling of coming out on top against overwhelming odds, which is hard to find from any other genre. I'm currently trying to get a Golden Ending clear on Triangle Strategy as well. Hope you enjoy your stay.

I absolutely loved the older Fire Emblem games not only for their stories but also because the critical animations are amazing. SMT Devil Survivor is on my list of games to play. I'll check out the others too. Thanks!

19 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I feel like the no-brainer answer is the Kaga-Saga games, if you haven't played them already. 

Once I found out that he was the one who designed FE1-FE5, I played through every game he released (aside from the more recent releases).

6 hours ago, CyberZord said:

Only SRPG that comes to mind for recommendations other than Fire Emblem would be Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. Great strategy game that one, looking forward to the sequel when it releases next month. 

Wait, Triangle Strategy has a route split?

Ooooo I'll keep my eyes open for the Mario game when it comes out. 

Yeah, Triangle has 4 routes in total, 1 for each of the three convictions Serenoa holds and the "golden route". I'm probably going to space out my completion of each route to avoid burnout like I did with Three Houses.

Yo, new person.  Please don't make five posts in a row.  If you want to quote multiple people, use the little plus sign next to Quote to enable Mulitquote.  I'm too tired to turn this into an official warning.  Otherwise, have fun waiting for Engage to come out!  Most of us don't bite.

32 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Yo, new person.  Please don't make five posts in a row.  If you want to quote multiple people, use the little plus sign next to Quote to enable Mulitquote.  I'm too tired to turn this into an official warning.  Otherwise, have fun waiting for Engage to come out!  Most of us don't bite.

Oh thats a cool function. I'll keep that in mind ^^