What are your thoughts on Alear?

PostZordem

23 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

I can't for the life of me remember where, but I think I heard once how they said they would be open to make a game without an avatar??? I don't think I made that up in my head, but have no idea where I heard  that 💔

Lol never heard they ever said that if anything remakes are likely the only way unless the remakes feature one like the earliest would be a FE 7 with Mark that’s a long way to go though.  But they DID consider an Avatar for SoV so remakes that didn’t feature em are possible just up to the devs if they can fit into the remakes story without changing too much.

Edited by Mage Goddess Lysithea

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Mage Goddess Lysithea said:

That’ll never happen they confirmed in a interview WAY back that they are a staple of the series if that wasn’t obvious enough for you atp.

Never is a long time. Even if they currently have no plans to make a game without an avatar (which I would very much believe), who's to say how long that will be the case for. Trends in gaming will change. People's tastes will change. New people with new ideas will be involved with making the games, and existing people will move on. Fire Emblem in five years might not look anything like Fire Emblem now. For comparison, five years is about the time between Radiant Dawn and Awakening. When Radiant Dawn came out, was anyone predicting that in five years, FE would be back on handheld, with infinite grinding brought back, permadeath being optional, and shipping being a big deal? I certainly wouldn't.

1 hour ago, lenticular said:

Never is a long time. Even if they currently have no plans to make a game without an avatar (which I would very much believe), who's to say how long that will be the case for. Trends in gaming will change. People's tastes will change. New people with new ideas will be involved with making the games, and existing people will move on. Fire Emblem in five years might not look anything like Fire Emblem now. For comparison, five years is about the time between Radiant Dawn and Awakening. When Radiant Dawn came out, was anyone predicting that in five years, FE would be back on handheld, with infinite grinding brought back, permadeath being optional, and shipping being a big deal? I certainly wouldn't.

Not true at all that’s like saying Pokemon Protagonists will disappear (which it won’t and that’s basically what they are but with depth) or battling as it is they ain’t removing popular things that make no sense to be remove because of the VERY small minorities that won’t have impact on sales which they know the main source of the fans. Also this is going off topic make a topic about this if you want nothing to do with Alear at all…then again there’s nothing so off topic comment is expected I’m finished here…

So far I think their design is kinda weird and off putting. However I also thought this of Shez and their weird color scheme when they were first introduced, and that all turned out fine when I actually saw them in the game itself. 

Toothpaste chan is silly but might still win be over. And even if they remain silly then that can be charming in its own right. 

• 4 weeks later...

I unironically get annoyed looking at their hair.  Though I guess it could've been worse colors like Yellow and Blue hair or some strange combo like that.  I also find it a shame that they seem to be using swords but it's also kinda expected so I guess I'm just mid on them.

On 11/8/2022 at 3:32 AM, Mordred said:

I unironically get annoyed looking at their hair.  Though I guess it could've been worse colors like Yellow and Blue hair or some strange combo like that.  I also find it a shame that they seem to be using swords but it's also kinda expected so I guess I'm just mid on them.

For me, I just that the sword doesn't end up overshadowing the fact that Alear's supposed to be a dragon, like how the Yato overshadowed Corrin's dragon form in Fates. This is IS's second time that they've promised a lord character that's a dragon, so I really hope that, this time, the lord character being a dragon is actually utilized.

On 10/9/2022 at 8:30 AM, SSbardock84 said:

Better than the previous avatars but they need to just step away from avatars entirely already. 

Nope. Avatars are very important. Not only for themselves but because the S support elements are one of its biggest selling points.

I am sure the Remakes will include them given that interview and because Echoes characters are kind unpopular other than Celica and Delthea. Even a hottie like Sonya isnt even 1% as popular as Camilla and Tharja.

I wouldn't personally play any FE without avatar.

On 10/10/2022 at 7:52 AM, Rose482 said:

I can't for the life of me remember where, but I think I heard once how they said they would be open to make a game without an avatar??? I don't think I made that up in my head, but have no idea where I heard  that 💔

Never heard of this. Maybe you are confusing it with  Kaga's interview where he said player avatars (Not that exact word) would never be a thing which obviously doesnt apply to current emblem.

1663735857685494.thumb.jpg.dbcf335ce8ab8cf80e4234de6f160b4e.jpg

As for Alear....

I love her! Her design is super great and was surprised to see the dislike for her being so strong around the fanbase. But as usual the fanbase tastes dont match the biggest most casual base and she is getting tons of art which speaks of how appealing her design  is (Comparatively meme art of pepsi/crest died down quickly).

She will be the first female avatar I use for my first playthrough as I cant imagine Engage without her.

Then will play as the male for waifu hunting!

23 hours ago, kratoscar2008 said:

Echoes characters are kind unpopular other than Celica and Delthea. Even a hottie like Sonya isnt even 1% as popular as Camilla and Tharja.

I don't think this is true at all. Even if they aren't 1% as popular as Camilla or Tharja, it doesn't mean a character is unpopular. That's like saying just because Daredevil isn't as popular as Iron Man, he's unpopular. It's simply not true. Alm, Clair, Lukas, Faye, Sonya, Saber, Leon, and Berkut all have varying degrees of popularity, and even Gray, Tobin, Genny, Silque and Rinea have their decent-sized followings. And then there's Zeke, Palla, and Catria who are also all relatively popular, and unless you played Shadow Dragon (which is surprisingly not as likely as one might think given that game didn't sell all that well), then this is the first exposure to those three for a lot of people outside of Japan. Combine all of them with Celica and Delthea and you have a good chunk of Echoes that's popular. Are any of them individually as popular as Camilla or Tharja? Maybe, maybe not, but they certainly aren't unpopular.

2 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I don't think this is true at all. Even if they aren't 1% as popular as Camilla or Tharja, it doesn't mean a character is unpopular. That's like saying just because Daredevil isn't as popular as Iron Man, he's unpopular. It's simply not true. Alm, Clair, Lukas, Faye, Sonya, Saber, Leon, and Berkut all have varying degrees of popularity, and even Gray, Tobin, Genny, Silque and Rinea have their decent-sized followings. And then there's Zeke, Palla, and Catria who are also all relatively popular, and unless you played Shadow Dragon (which is surprisingly not as likely as one might think given that game didn't sell all that well), then this is the first exposure to those three for a lot of people outside of Japan. Combine all of them with Celica and Delthea and you have a good chunk of Echoes that's popular. Are any of them individually as popular as Camilla or Tharja? Maybe, maybe not, but they certainly aren't unpopular.

Yeah but they are competing with Awakening and Fates who have more popular characters overall. My main point was that Hidari art isnt as appealing as people think. In a Kozaki style, those Echoes characters could be extremely popular. There are already 2 games requiring an Echoes rep and Alm was skipped both times (3 counting smash).

All those you mentioned other than the 2 I mentiones, cant compete with Awakefates cast even when the fanservice character fails to get any any ground in the art community its tells a lot.

Hell you cant even use Echoes sales as an argument because Tellius games sold worse and are as much a fanbase darling as Echoes, they still have very popular characters that even surpass AwakeFates like Mia, Mist, Titania, Soren, Nephenee, etc. They mog the Echoes cast not name Celica/Delthea.

Meanwhile the same people trash Alear but she is already more popular in general despite the "atrocious" design.

Edited by kratoscar2008

9 minutes ago, kratoscar2008 said:

Yeah but they are competing with Awakening and Fates who have more popular characters overall. My main point was that Hidari art isnt as appealing as people think. In a Kozaki style, those Echoes characters could be extremely popular. There are already 2 games requiring an Echoes rep and Alm was skipped both times (3 counting smash).

All those you mentioned other than the 2 I mentiones, cant compete with Awakefates cast even when the fanservice character fails to get any any ground in the art community its tells a lot.

Hell you cant even use Echoes sales as an argument because Tellius games sold worse and are as much a fanbase darling as Echoes, they still have very popular characters that even surpass AwakeFates like Mia, Mist, Titania, Soren, Nephenee, etc. They mog the Echoes cast not name Celica/Delthea.

You basically just said the same thing again, so I'll repeat myself as well: Just because a character isn't as popular as Tharja or Camilla (or whatever other FatesWakening character you wanna mention), it does not mean that character is unpopular. Is Cordelia more popular than Catria? Yeah, I think so. Is Catria still popular? Absolutely.

I think it's pretentious to claim that one art style would automatically make a character more popular. Do you speak for the tastes of every Fire Emblem fan and know for a fact that everyone agrees that Kozaki's style is more appealing than Hidari's? Because I certainly like Hidari's style more than Kozaki's, and Echoes isn't even my fifth-favorite game in the series. I like Awakening much more than Echoes, but in my opinion Echoes wins the art battle.

I dunno where you're hanging out, but I've seen hundreds of fan art depictions of Alm, and several other Echoes characters not named Celica or Delthea. Using the art community to judge a character's popularity is not a good way to judge. I just googled "Fire Emblem Faye fan art" and got hundreds of results. If that's your metric for popularity, then you're either not looking for the fan art or purposely ignoring it. A good chunk of the Echoes cast is popular, regardless of whether they're more or less popular than any FatesWakening character.

28 minutes ago, kratoscar2008 said:

Meanwhile the same people trash Alear but she is already more popular in general despite the "atrocious" design.

I'm sorry, but there is no way you can claim that Alear is more popular than any character of any other Fire Emblem game. Engage isn't out yet, we have a full 2+ months left before it releases. People have no idea if they're truly going to like Alear or not. Maybe they will. In fact, I think they probably will! I have a hard time seeing a world where Alear doesn't gain popularity. But until the game is out and that popularity is gained, saying Alear is more popular than any other FE character is a factual falsehood. "But fan art...!" No, that proves literally nothing, not one single thing.

1 hour ago, kratoscar2008 said:

That really depends on the Fates and Awakening characters in question. Show me some Hisami fans and I'll eat my candy covered proverbial hat. Fates and Awakneing do have more popular characters overall, but it would be highly irregular if that were not the case given they're both more popular games than Shadows of Valentia by the silent minority.

I can definitely say this. Design aside, the videos they're releasing aren't giving me high hopes for Alear's personality. I mean, their dialogue in that video talking to Etie can be basically be summarized:

"I was staring at you because you're so positive and it makes me feel good."

Obviously I paraphrased that but that was the general case. My reaction was basically "Wow" to how bad that dialogue was.

On 11/14/2022 at 9:53 PM, Rose482 said:

Eh, honestly, after being stuck as Byleth, getting to play as someone who seems to be kind and down to earth is something I'm actually looking forward too. I'm  so happy Alear is voiced. 

But that pretty much describes Byleth. Or at least that's how your chosen class perceive you, as your oh-so-kind and supportive teacher.

I think we are due for another blunt and brash lord, like Ike or Holmes.

Edited by Ziegenpeter

Despite their crazy design elements, both versions of Alear feel very "safe."

Pretty much all of the Avatar stand-bys are here: their base personality is best described as 'milquetoast', there's something sinister about them they don't remember (hi Robin), they have a background that's super-special-amazing-dragon-god-awesome-tier, which in turn leads to a lot of these characters being a bit too enamored with them (hi Corrin), they're a sword-wielder and have a Prf-Sword (once again my desire to have MyUnit use a weapon type I'm actually interested in at base is dashed, haven't been able to do that since Kris), and they can still be re-named/re-sexed despite the game absolutely being worse for that (hi Byleth).

Now, this is an 'anniversary celebration' game, so having call-backs is to be expected...but having that be the sole excuse for what would otherwise be considered blatant pandering/laziness rings...hollow, I guess?  I am glad, at least, that the possibility of this title being a gacha like Heroes is rapidly dwindling to zero (we'd have gotten more blatant hints, by now).  Also, what I've seen of the gameplay so far (the most important part for me) interests me, so I'm betting I'll be able to overlook this stuff (like I did with Corrin...).

• 3 weeks later...

I hope that the whole amnesia subplot with Alear is just a red herring and that they actually remember their past from the moment they wake up in the game. Manipulative and deceitful Alear FTW.

Edited by Sidereal Wraith