Unique Corrin: Kingdom of Valla Situation

Graecus5

I ran into an interesting situation the other day using a deck focused around pulling cards from the boundless area. One key card used is Corrin (Kingdom of Valla), whose gameplay involves placing the top card of your deck into the boundless area (gaining Corrin +10) and summoning a Hoshido or Nohr (black or white) card from the boundless area and gaining their skills. The text for these skills are:

B20-001.png

Skill 2: Blade of Divine Majesty ACT [act] Once Per Turn [once per turn] [Send the topmost card of your Deck to the Boundless Area] Until the end of your opponent’s next turn, this unit gains +10 attack. 

Skill 3The Future is in Your Hands ACT [act] Once Per Turn [once per turn] Choose 1 Hoshido or Nohr card from your Boundless Area, and send it to the Retreat Area. Until the end of the turn, this unit acquires all skills possessed by that card.

I found myself in a situation where I had a Corrin on the field, and a second Corrin in the Boundless Area. I wanted to summon one Corrin with the other and argued that I would be able to use his 2nd and 3rd skills again, as they were from the second Corrin card. My friend argued that because the skills specify [Once per turn] and the skills have the same name (because they are the same skill), I wouldn't be able to use them again as the [Once per turn] limitation would prevent it. 

Essentially, I viewed the action of acquiring skills as if I was adding them to a list:

ex.

Skill 1. Beyond the Two Nights: You may Class Change an allied "Corrin (Male)" or "Corrin (Female)" into this card. 

Skill 2: Blade of Divine Majesty: [Send the topmost card of your Deck to the Boundless Area] ... unit gains +10 attack.      -->      Sends top card to BA, Corrin +10 

Skill 3The Future is in Your Hands: Choose 1 card from your Boundless Area... unit acquires all skills                                  -->         Summons Corrin (Kingdom of Valla) from BA, adding:

Skill 4: Blade of Divine Majesty: [Send the topmost card of your Deck to the Boundless Area] ... unit gains +10 attack.

Skill 5: The Future is in Your Hands: Choose 1 card from your Boundless Area... unit acquires all skills

This seems to be, in my view, more in line with how acquiring skills works with all other characters; you gain them and can use them at will, in addition to any skills still on Corrin (which in this case is only Corrin's second skill, assuming it wasn't used prior to Corrin's 3rd skill). It should also be noted that the 75px-DragonBlood.png Dragon Blood skills all explicitly state that each character can only have 1 skill when multiple skills share the same name (A Dragon Blood skill is usable by all characters who also have a DB skills). Corrin's card doesn't specify that you can only have 1 instance of a skill.

My Friend's interpretation was closer to:

Skill 1. Beyond the Two Nights: You may Class Change an allied "Corrin (Male)" or "Corrin (Female)" into this card. 

Skill 2: Blade of Divine Majesty: [Send the topmost card of your Deck to the Boundless Area] ... unit gains +10 attack.   +1 uses (use blocked due to [Once per turn] restriction  Sends top card to BA, Corrin +10 

Skill 3The Future is in Your Hands: Choose 1... unit acquires all skills    +1 uses (use blocked due to [Once per turn] restriction  Summons Corrin (Kingdom of Valla) from BA, adding +1 uses to Skill 2 and 3:

The logic being that because the skills were literally the same, the [Once per turn] limitation blocks the use a second time, and essentially preventing Corrin's from doing anything extra. Instead of acquiring a different skill, Corrin is gaining an additional use of a skill they already have acquired.

In the end, it was decided that I could use a summoned Corrin's skills again allowing for 2 cards to be placed in the Boundless Area and giving Corrin +10 for each, as well as the skills of a second summoned character. Outside of Dragon Blood, there aren't too many other instances where skills are shared, so this is kind of a niche mechanic turned up to 11. I am very interested to hear if others have a different opinion, as this situation was seemingly not considered when this card was created.

Edit: Found an answer in the Fire Emblem Cipher FAQ google doc

Q: If allied 「Corrin (Kingdom of Valla): Monarch Forging a New Future」  uses 「The Future is in Your Hands」, and the card sent from the Boundless Area to the Retreat Area is 「Corrin (Kingdom of Valla): Monarch Forging a New Future」, what happens?

A: Allied Corrin (Kingdom of Valla) acquires all of the card’s skills: 「Beyond the Two Nights」「Blade of Divine Majesty」「The Future is in Your Hands」. So, allied Corrin (Kingdom of Valla) becomes able to use those skills one more time in that turn. Also, if they have yet to use 「Blade of Divine Majesty」, then they can use that skill twice in the same turn.

Edited by Graecus5
Found answer. Post can be deleted

Hey finally a situation where the fact that I actually played this game for years becomes useful. I know you found the answer already, but I do want to make sure to confirm it for you and hopefully help describe where your friend is missing the idea.

Basically yes, you have it correct - since Corrin is acquiring the skills instead of rewriting the skills, it's a new instance of the skill. It sounds like your friend is using Yu-Gi-Oh! as a reference, since he's basically describing it as functioning identically to YGO's "Hard OPT" wording - namely, implying that the OPT marker means "You may only activate this effect of 'Corrin (Kingdom of Valla): Monarch Forging a New Future' once per turn." If this were true, you would end up with scenarios like this:

-Deploy "Corrin (Kingdom of Valla): Monarch Forging a New Future"

-Use "Blade of Divine Majesty," Banishing the top card of your deck

-Class Change "Corrin (Kingdom of Valla): Monarch Forging a New Future" into "Corrin (Kingdom of Valla): Monarch Forging a New Future"

-"Corrin (Kingdom of Valla): Monarch Forging a New Future" cannot use "Blade of Divine Majesty," since a "Corrin (Kingdom of Valla): Monarch Forging a New Future" already used "Blade of Divine Majesty" this turn

As far as I can remember, Cipher exclusively uses YGO's "Soft OPT" as a basis for their OPT skills. This means that each new instance of any given card has its own instance of each OPT skill. I don't think any of the characters that allow you to have multiple copies of themselves on the field(early Anna cards, one of the Fallen Takumi, Risen/Faceless) have OPT skills but if any of them do that's another example - if one Anna used a OPT skill, that would not prevent other Annas from using that same OPT skill if it's printed on their cards.

Hope that helped explain the situation for your friend.