Which Emblems do you think the cover characters will be paired with?

DefyingFates

The boxart shows four people in addition to Alear, Marth and the dragons and these four also get some special focus in the reveal trailer, hence the assumption that they're important to the plot. The Emblem Engage mechanic seems to imply that each Lord has a canon Emblem partner (either that or there's a generic male/ female outfit for each Emblem that anyone can wear, which would be nice) so it dawned on me out of the blue that all four of those "Lords" would also have a designated partner. Who do you think they'd be?

So far we have:

Alear - Marth (I assume F!Alear would also have Marth, but who knows, maybe she'd get Lucina instead if genders matching up is important to the writers).

Alfred - Sigurd.

The remaining three are:

Fiery swordsman - I think Roy would be a good fit since he's the closest we'll get to Blazing Blade!Eliwood. The Creator Sword has some fire-like effects though, so maybe Byleth?

Martial artist girl - Given brawling was only added with 3H I have no idea who this could be if we're assuming classes will be weapon-locked again. Maybe Byleth again?

Mage woman - it looks like Celica's paired with Celine, so the only mage left is Micaiah (unless we also pull from FEH, which adds Eirika and the already spoken for Sigurd as possibilities). Byleth's eligible for her too. Good ol' teach!

What do you think? As I said before, all of this is moot if classes are flexible as in 3H (if not moreso), but until then we can theorize, right? Thanks for joining in if you do!

• Alear - Marth
  • Alfred - Sigurd
  • Red Haired Man - Leif (They have similar hairstyles and hair colors. Granted Celica has red hair and Celine has blond(e), but still.) or Roy (They both have red hair and are associated with fire.)
  • Red Haired Woman - Micaiah (Both are magic users.)

Not sure about the brown haired girl because she seems to be doing acrobatics and I couldn't get a good look at her weapon in her brief portion of the trailer (Even after playing it at 0.5 speed on the page for the game.). Her pink and white color scheme and skirt are closer to Eirika's than Lyn or Lucina's though. Though maybe she's a dancer and doesn't have an Emblem of her own?

Edited by Maimishou

1 hour ago, Seazas said:

It's already confirmed that the red haired man uses Roy.

Oh? Well spotted, thank you!

3 hours ago, Mysterique Sign said:

The dark skinned girl with the pole looks very feminine but also very physical, so maybe Lyn?

I didn't think about that, that would be a great fit, thanks!

3 hours ago, Maimishou said:

Not sure about the brown haired girl because she seems to be doing acrobatics and I couldn't get a good look at her weapon in her brief portion of the trailer (Even after playing it at 0.5 speed on the page for the game.)

I don't think she has a weapon actually, so she's either a lance/ staff unit (probably the former so she doesn't overlap with Alfred) or martial artist.

3 hours ago, Maimishou said:

Her pink and white color scheme and skirt are closer to Eirika's than Lyn or Lucina's though.

As much as I'd love for Eirika to be one of the main Emblems, I think the other chosen heroines have more star power than her. Thank you all the same for suggesting her!

I hope it doesn't feel like I'm creating a ton of Engage topics, by the way...

• Alear: Def marth since they have cutscenes with him so marth is most likely the "canon" choice
  • Alfred: Sigurd mostly because of the trailer and seems like they made Sigurd a lance cav here so he'd fit, don't think any other character fits him though.
  • Dark skinned girl: Depends on if her weapon is a lance or a staff but if its a lance, I have no idea as there's only 1 lance user (Sigurd) from the bunch we know. This could suggest there are more emblem rings than what we know of but for all we know, they could just pair her with lyn or sumn. But if she's a staff, it gives her options like Celica and Micaiah. Maybe Celine was just a trailer example for Celica and her canon pairing is with the dark skinned girl.
  • Red haired swordsman: Definitely Roy or Ike, leaning more towards Roy since Ike uses axes in this game, but he might be able to unlock swords later so who knows.
  • Mage girl (Abby): Micaiah or Celica, maybe Celica though since she's known to use fire magic and we see Abby using some in the cg trailer.

3 minutes ago, Crubat said:

Dark skinned girl: Depends on if her weapon is a lance or a staff but if its a lance, I have no idea as there's only 1 lance user (Sigurd) from the bunch we know. This could suggest there are more emblem rings than what we know of but for all we know, they could just pair her with lyn or sumn. But if she's a staff, it gives her options like Celica and Micaiah. Maybe Celine was just a trailer example for Celica and her canon pairing is with the dark skinned girl.

If FEH alts are taken into consideration, Eirika's also on the table (Binding Reginleif), but I agree with Mysterique Sign that she's probably getting Lyn. But I do hope we see mix-and-matching with the Emblems in upcoming footage. So far we've only seen Marth on someone else, I believe.

4 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

If FEH alts are taken into consideration, Eirika's also on the table (Binding Reginleif), but I agree with Mysterique Sign that she's probably getting Lyn. But I do hope we see mix-and-matching with the Emblems in upcoming footage. So far we've only seen Marth on someone else, I believe.

I would be happy to get even more rings than we already have but I just doubt it as that means more models to make, we'll just have to wait for a new trailer.

2 minutes ago, Crubat said:

I would be happy to get even more rings than we already have but I just doubt it as that means more models to make, we'll just have to wait for a new trailer.

Or even just an interview or Famitsu article to explain the Rings and the weapon type situation, to be honest. Though "more Emblem Rings than you thought" is definitely trailer material depending on who they choose (i.e. the 3H Lords).

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

I don't think she has a weapon actually, so she's either a lance/ staff unit (probably the former so she doesn't overlap with Alfred) or martial artist.

As much as I'd love for Eirika to be one of the main Emblems, I think the other chosen heroines have more star power than her. Thank you all the same for suggesting her!

If you don't mind me asking what makes you think she doesn't have a weapon? She's shown using some sort of pole in her brief trailer scene and I don't think that would just be on the battle field. As for Eirika not having enough star power. I haven't played her game (Or any pre-Fates game to be honest.), but she's on the mural and assuming we're only getting 12 Emblems she has to go to someone. Or do you mean that you don't think she's popular enough that her partner would be a main?

10 minutes ago, Maimishou said:

If you don't mind me asking what makes you think she doesn't have a weapon?

I should have been clearer, my bad! I meant that she didn't seem to have anything on her that could be a weapon other than the staff she swings on, hence me thinking she's either a brawler or lance/ staff user. I leaned on brawler because the swinging seemed to be how she fights.

11 minutes ago, Maimishou said:

Or do you mean that you don't think she's popular enough that her partner would be a main?

And I meant this. FE8 is sort of a black sheep in the series and Eirika tends to be overshadowed by Ephraim in the fandom on top of that. Compared to her, Lyn and Lucina are the de facto female mascots of the series, Micaiah comes from the popular Tellius games and the other two were on the 3DS and thus have a lot of recognition among the newer players (and the oldest, in Celica's case).

But again, if IS wants to throw a curveball and make her a partner to presumably one of the main characters, I'm not going to complain!

I should have been clearer, my bad! I meant that she didn't seem to have anything on her that could be a weapon other than the staff she swings on, hence me thinking she's either a brawler or lance/ staff user. I leaned on brawler because the swinging seemed to be how she fights.

And I meant this. FE8 is sort of a black sheep in the series and Eirika tends to be overshadowed by Ephraim in the fandom on top of that. Compared to her, Lyn and Lucina are the de facto female mascots of the series, Micaiah comes from the popular Tellius games and the other two were on the 3DS and thus have a lot of recognition among the newer players (and the oldest, in Celica's case).

But again, if IS wants to throw a curveball and make her a partner to presumably one of the main characters, I'm not going to complain!

Ah. I was thinking she could be a dancer based on her design and her brief scene in the trailer. Of course none of the female Emblems we've seen really seem to fit that. The more I think about it the more I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't have an Emblem associated with her (Though presumably you'd still be able to equip one if the Emblems aren't character locked.).

Ah. I didn't know that FE8 wasn't very popular. I haven't played Sacred Stones myself, but I wouldn't be against them giving one of the less liked games more spotlight in order to give it more love if it was done well.

17 minutes ago, Maimishou said:

but I wouldn't be against them giving one of the less liked games more spotlight in order to give it more love if it was done well.

You and me both! And you raise a good point about her possibly being a dancer, since we haven't seen anyone who could fit that niche yet. Who knows, we could have our first dancer Lord with her (if Azura doesn't count)!

I don't really see Eirika as being particularly less prominent than Sigurd, Lyn, or Micaiah, and she's almost certainly better known than Leif. The characters from more modern games (Byleth, Celica, Corrin, and Lucina) definitely have an advantage over her, as do the Smash Bros characters (Marth, Roy, and Ike), but I wouldn't go further than that. The Tellius games may have a cult following among hardcore fans of the series, but I don't think that Micaiah is widely known at all. I'm pretty sure that Sacred Stones outsold Radiant Dawn by a pretty wide margin. And I don't really see Lyn as being anywhere close to a mascot; I'd say that she's even more overshadowed in her own game than Eirika is. As is Micaiah, for that matter.

12 hours ago, lenticular said:

And I don't really see Lyn as being anywhere close to a mascot; I'd say that she's even more overshadowed in her own game than Eirika is. As is Micaiah, for that matter.

Oh absolutely! Lyn has exactly zero relevance outside of FE7's tutorial and Ike steals everyone's spotlight in RD. That said, Lyn is still the FE7 Lord IS keeps going back to since she's the West's first waifu. I know Micaiah doesn't have that same level of hype surrounding her, but as you said yourself, her game's still has a cult following.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic so that I don't get my hopes crushed when the time comes, but I still feel like Eirika's the least likely to get any sort of special representation here. Alongside Leif perhaps, but even he has the same "niche(?)" as Sigurd of being from "a JPN only game that everyone likes", not to mention his Legendary alt wreaking havoc in Heroes for a while.

But again: this could just be a defense mechanism 😛

Part of me feels like Alear and Marth will be the only paring to actually be featured in the main story and more than likely each Emblem can be thrown with whoever (I think we see one point where Cramme has Sigurd and Alfred has Marth in the trailer). However, there are also enough characters on the Divine Edition boxart to assign each Emblem to (if you exclude the lady at the top in the background who could very well be dead (she looks like an Emmeryn/Mikoto type) and what we can presume in the dragon girl in the very centre (Or Vander)). So if we were to assign one to each of them:

Alear and Marth

Céline and Celica 

Alfred and Sigurd

Jester girl and Leif?

Red head (Alcryst?) and Roy (we see them in the trailer)

Dark-skinned dancer girl and Lyn

Blue haired guy and Eirika

Framme and Ike (I dunno I think it would be cool)

Cramme and Micaiah (we see this in the trailer)

Dark-skinned archer guy and Lucina

Goth girl and Corrin (This is somewhat based on things we saw in the leaks but also Corrin is kinda in the air for who she could fit with)

Vander and Byleth

1 minute ago, Azz said:

Part of me feels like Alear and Marth will be the only paring to actually be featured in the main story and more than likely each Emblem can be thrown with whoever

I think the Emblems can be mixed-and-matched too, I just made this pose on the assumption that there would be at least some implied partnerships between Emblems and users (or at least characters that Emblems debuted alongside, I suppose). Your list is really comprehensive though, thank you very much!

Lyn, Leif, and Eirika are equally likely to be the most irrelevant rings out of the main 12. As in, not be featured on any marketed character. Marth's a given, Sigurd's already attached to a box art character (Celica not so much, she might actually be glued to an irrelevant side character as well).

Edited by Seazas

On 9/25/2022 at 11:48 AM, DefyingFates said:

Why do you think Lyn would be irrelevant?

FE7 side lord moment. She could just be the fanservicy side character. I could totally see Ike, Roy, Corrin, and Byleth being attached to the remaining relevant characters. The dancer girl is a toss up and it's why I think it's between Eirika and Lyn. 

13 hours ago, Seazas said:

FE7 side lord moment. She could just be the fanservicy side character. I could totally see Ike, Roy, Corrin, and Byleth being attached to the remaining relevant characters. The dancer girl is a toss up and it's why I think it's between Eirika and Lyn. 

It's a cynical take, but I see your reasoning Seazas, thanks!

I hate the concept of canon partners.. I prefer that they can change the rings as they wish.
Honestly, if Alear can only pair with Marth, I'll think about skipping this title, since... Marth is among my most hated characters in FE.

Keeping with the theme seems that the characters are aligned with spirits ring to same weapons, so the blonde archer could go with Lucina archer.
And the sexy magician with Micaiah for example.

8 minutes ago, kurito said:

I hate the concept of canon partners.. I prefer that they can change the rings as they wish.

We've already seen Rings being swapped around in the gameplay clips, this is just theorizing who will be partnered with each Ring in the story.

I don't take most trailers of indication of canon things, so I suppose it's up to the player to choose, unless there's clear story relation between characters. Other than Alear being linked to Marth, seeing that Marth has emphasis in the promotional materials (or maybe Marth will be partnered the guy named Diamond who will be another main character, following the leaks) it will depend of a lot of factors, not necessarily weapon or class related.  

Edited by genesis

Genesis makes a good point, but I do wonder if Corrin will have at least some significance. I highly doubt she'll replace Marth as Alear's go-to Persona (as interesting a development as that would be), but she's the only dragonstone Emblem so there could be some strong synergy there. Either that or she'll show up with the dragon girl, so she'll probably have a bit of extra focus through association (even if it's just in a cutscene of the girl showing off that she can Engage too).

And while the FEH Halloween banner is indeed why I started thinking about Corrin's role, it would be cool if each Emblem helped out with their partner's character growth somehow. Maybe Byleth's partner is incredibly closed off for example, and he helps coax them out of their shell? And if Micaiah's paired with someone from the villainous country, she could teach them about how she worked to restore Daein's honor, stuff like that. Granted they'd likely be small arcs to accomodate all 11 of them (I imagine Marth and Alear will continue supporting each other throughout the main plot), but it'd be great to see how more experienced Lords handle situations similar to those they've faced in the past!