Magic in the Game Boy Advanced era

3PercentCrit

Game Boy Advanced era magic types  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favorite magic type in the GBA games?

• Anima
    • Light
    • Dark

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/11/2022 at 04:59 AM

Whenever I play the GBA games, my favorite characters always seem to be monks. They always seem to be my fastest units, and can one-round enemies earlier than most of my other characters. This is my personal opinion but I'm open to the opinions of others.

I love the weird gimmicks of most dark magic, and anima is also basic but neat. Light always seemed cooler than I think it ended up being. But all three are pretty dope.

Anima has Pent (#PentSweep) as well as Lilina and Nino, important story characters, and Erk and Cecilia, who are just cool units. Having only 1 dark unit in FE7 and only having him being accessed in a gaiden chapter is stupid.

However, I feel like Light has the most boring animations. Dark magic has really cool animations in the GBA titles.

Edited by Baudshaw

On 10/5/2022 at 9:56 AM, 3PercentCrit said:

Whenever I play the GBA games, my favorite characters always seem to be monks. They always seem to be my fastest units, and can one-round enemies earlier than most of my other characters. This is my personal opinion but I'm open to the opinions of others.

They all come in handy at some point or another, but I think your right about one thing. Your bishop in FE7 can really knock em down

• 3 weeks later...

Any reason the poll was closed so soon after its creation?

Anyway, I'm going with Dark magic. I love how they all do something interesting - draining HP, cutting your health in half, bypassing Resistance, and so on. And I really like how Awakening expanded on this, with a Brave tome and a high-crit one.

GBA Anima feels like a weird grab bag. Fire and Thunder, but no Wind? Bolting, but no Meteor? Fimbulvetr outta nowhere? And it wouldn't be until the Tellius games that each line would get special effects.

As for Light magic, it's just false advertising. Take the Aura tome, for instance. It has a Weight of 15. That isn't "light", that's pretty damn heavy!

• 1 month later...

Light magic doubles earlier, but once your anima users start doubling reliably, light gets outclassed. Similarly, dark is also better than anima until anima doubles, but it has the utility of nosferatu and luna (and summoners in SS) to keep it relevant.

I mostly play FE7 HHM, so I don't know how it goes in other games/modes, but red magic users and bosses in there have weirdly high res, so the magic triangle doesn't really matter because your magic users generally can't ever kill enemy magic users.