I have no goddamn clue how to play this game. I'm more interested in the story than the gameplay. Should I find a way to play or should I just read a story summary?

Baudshaw

I'm interested in the story/characters of Fates, but I don't want to spend hundrends of dollars on old games. Should I find another way, or should I just find a story summary?

12 minutes ago, Baudshaw said:

I'm interested in the story/characters of Fates, but I don't want to spend hundrends of dollars on old games. Should I find another way, or should I just find a story summary?

Find a playthrough on YouTube. Streamers literally make videos of themselves playing video games from start to finish, divided into many bite-sized parts. It probably shouldn't take you more than 2 hours to get to chapter 7 (assuming the guy isn't talkative), upon which you'll have an understanding of the initial premise.

Watch up until the point where you don't have the motivation to watch anymore. Then look up the rest on a wiki.

Since this is about Fates, I'll just mention that the story is controversial. Not trying to sour the thread, but I wanted to bring up that there was an original script that the final game's story is based on. I don't think the full thing was released, but you might be able to find bits about it around the internet.

You can just watch one of the Youtuber's LPs. As LoneStar mentioned, Fates's story is kind of controversial (and I dare say lacking nuance), particularly Conquest.

I'm currently doing this for Pokemon Platinum (courtesy of PurpleRodri), and it seems to cover all of the essential points of DPPt's story. Keep in mind, however, there may be minor plot points that you may miss. In my example above, I had no idea about Shaymin's backstory with Floaroma Town in the game until another member in this forum pointed out to me.

Edited by henrymidfields