LF Pointers

I´m playing through the game on Normal and moderately blind, meaning I know some stuff – alternating armies, considering I´m sitting on chapter 10 and it says Endgame; big fight at the end – but I´d still like to get some pointers if possible.

A Seraph Robe and an Ashera Icon are chilling in the convoy alongside 4 Master Seals and 2x Arms Scrolls. I´ve got 27k in the bank and 7500 BEXP. I´ve also removed most skills from units, other than Nolan Nihil, Sothe/Nailah Guard, Zihark Adept, Rafiels Blessing and Volugs Howl. I´d sell Vikas Shriek, Tauroneos Resolve and Ilyanas Shade 3,5k.

Units I´d want to use would be Sothe, Nolan, Jill and Zihark – Jill has received the amount of favouritism that apparently makes her good (I think 1xDracoshield/1XEnergyDrop/1xSeraph Robe). Nolan and Jill are also lvl 1 promoted.

I kinda wanna keep using Ilyana – lvl 15 she´s close to her averages only -1SPD and has made an… ok impression s´far as mages seem to go. Maybe early promote?

I´m iffy on Edward – he is competing with Zihark and has generally not been that great even with a forged iron. Lvl 14, perfectly average, except -1SPD. Again, maybe early promote? My worry is that I´m lowmanning too much and it´ll bite me in the future.

Micaiah – I mean Lord character, but I have half a mind to drop that Seraph Robe on her. I tried training her in chapter 9 with Paragon but everything 1HKOed her, so no dice. Lvl 11, I´mma try to feed her a few kills in chapter 10, I think?

There´s also Tauroneo, Volug, Nailah, Muarim, Tormod and Rafiel but they have joined abruptly so I kinda expect them to remove themselves just as abruptly, whenever I get back to Micaiah.

Aran, Leonardo, Meg, Fiona, Vika have hit the bench and are at best treated as cannon fodder. They will not be reset for. There´s a case for Aran, sine I have a critical lack of Lances and he is lvl11 with +2SPD but so far… meh. Meh, I say.

So yeah. Pointers would be quite appreciated.

I'm not going to spoil future events here.

None of the other characters will use Master Seals (as all of them will be T2+) so go ahead and use them on whoever you prefer and sell the excess (I ended up using them when units hit 20 myself but considering some of yours are promoted already early promotion for others who might fill in might do). Wouldn't sell the Resolve scroll at least, it can have it's uses for sure especially with certain other skills.

Ilyana should still be usable as well, though mages don't have the best time she does have wyvern effectiveness if you need it. Edward I'm a bit cooler on but you have been using him and if you need the filler I suppose he'll do. I would say out of your levelled units I wouldn't drop any. Micaiah is probably going to be harder to train considering her current position but she will get staves on promotion at least.

Aran's alright to use, but if you don't have the space I wouldn't stress too much especially on his current level. Could be good filler in your party, I did use him in my playthrough. Of the others if you need characters for a map prioritise the laguz or shove/rescue utility as appropriate.

Illyana is an easy choice for an early promotion. I would recommend it.

Tormod, Muarim, and Vika don't bother with

Spoiler

They all leave at the end of part 1, and doesn't come back until near the end of the game.

Edward is good in his own rights. A properly trained Edward can easily surpass Zihark later on in the game. Because:

Spoiler

Edward gets a really good weapon of his own in part 3 that only he can use. Nolan and Leonardo also get their own unique weapons with it.

Fiona and Meg are some of the absolute worst characters in the game. Benching them is their best use.

Micaiah, try to get her some kills in part 1 endgame. Its pretty easy to do so. And the enemies there give a good amount of exp. I try to have her around level 15-17 range on all my playthroughs because:

Spoiler

Micaiah gets her tier 2 class promotion immediately at the end of part 1 endgame. Also save those arms scrolls for later to raise her class promotions staff rank. It really helps alot

Aran is definitely worth considering. He and Nolan fill a critical role with the dawn brigade, as units who can actually take a hit. Which the group seriously lacks outside of Tauroneo

If anyone is falling behind in levels. Use bonus exp on them.

Edited by Faellin

What is an LF pointer?

IMO, don't hesitate to use Nailah and/or BK in endgame, especially if you're trying to keep your turn counts under control.

I don't know if I'm really that good at this game, but I beat it on hard a few times with turncounts near "par" (by which I mean max bexp), but I remember needing to choke points in some of the chapters after part 1 endgame which feature the dawn brigade.

Leonardo is useful in one chapter because with a bit of use he can OHKO/ORKO fliers with his proof, and there are some fliers in later DB chapters. But it's probably too late to use him if you've benched him now. But I'd keep him in mind if you have trouble with fliers because he should be able to use his prf at base.

In general IMO, it's more important to have DB units ready for their exclusive chapters in part 3, where I thought it was useful to have a line of characters who can keep units from advancing and attacking any squishies you might be using, as there's already plenty of characters to get you through after the inevitable everyone joins up together point. I don't think Edward and Zihark need to compete, except for weapons I guess. Zihark has the better affinity, though. I believe some people have volug and nolan support to get through part 3...(earth gives good avoid)

It's too bad you can't use arms scrolls on laguz units.

20 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

I'm not going to spoil future events here.

I do not in any way whatsoever care for story so spoilers away if need be.

11 hours ago, Original Johan Liebert said:

What is an LF pointer?

"Looking for"

11 hours ago, Original Johan Liebert said:

I believe some people have volug and nolan support to get through part 3...(earth gives good avoid)

Oh yeah, supports and the like... haven´t bothered with´em so far, will probably have to read up on which does what.

Edit: damn what´s with the hitrates on this map?

Edited by Imuabicus

IMHO...

Edward sucks and you shouldn't feel bad about benching him. He's too fragile, and frankly, a trained Edward does nothing Zihark couldn't do better.

Aran is really helpful to have raised, as he can actually take hits - something I CANNOT say for most of Micaiah's group.

Ilyana leaves the Daein army and winds up with Greil's Mercenaries later on (as does the merchant convoy, so 1-E is your last chance to forge weapons for the Daein army). Anyway, she is the only one who can use Rexbolt, which is effective vs one of the final three bosses in the game, for what it's worth (by the way, other mages are similarly restricted).

Don't bother with Tormod, Vika, and Muarim, esp. the former two. They disappear for nearly the entire game, and when they return, the enemies are way too strong for them (Muarim at least can actually harm them, but the other two, not so much).

Make sure to get Haar during the part 2 prologue. He'll make a lot of the game easier.

Many non-royal laguz units are... pretty lacking, to say the least. It's easier for me to list who is actually good. In particular, I would avoid Lethe, Lyre and Kyza like the plague.

6 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

Edit: damn what´s with the hitrates on this map?

You're at a pretty big authority disadvantage (Jarod has three authority stars, which means his units all get +15 hit and avoid). I wouldn't be surprised if biorhythm was also a factor...

Edited by Shadow Mir

I would say that if you're thinking of early-promoting someone then it's probably worthwhile to throw some bexp at them instead/as well. The scaling for bexp cost to go a level is pretty aggressive. Giving a level to your unpromoted level 14 Edward will cost a quarter of the bexp that you'd need to promote someone from --/--/19 to --/--/20. There are also individual levels later on that will award more bexp in one go than the 7500 that you currently have, so there's very little point in trying to save it, unless you have some very specific use in mind.

Since no one said anything about Micaiah and the Robe, I'll chime in on that.  How are your front line units doing?  IMO they'll want it more, as they're going to be taking the brunt of the flak.

5 hours ago, eclipse said:

How are your front line units doing?

Jill kinda tanky with dodging. Edward, Zihark dodge or die. Nolan, sack of HP that dies in three hits for lack of Def. Otherwise Volug/nailah/BK but they are too good so I doubt the´ll be coming back too soon.

I´m in Part 2: Cave Exploring anyway.

15 hours ago, lenticular said:

Giving a level to your unpromoted level

Ilyana and Edward have received the BEXP and promoted.

On 10/13/2022 at 10:42 PM, Imuabicus said:

Jill kinda tanky with dodging. Edward, Zihark dodge or die. Nolan, sack of HP that dies in three hits for lack of Def. Otherwise Volug/nailah/BK but they are too good so I doubt the´ll be coming back too soon.

When you next see Nolan, do some calculations and see if that Robe turns a 3HKO into a 4HKO.  Otherwise, there's no harm in holding onto the Robe until you encounter a situation where the extra HP is needed.

On 10/14/2022 at 3:42 AM, Imuabicus said:

You're on the mark with Nailah. You won't be seeing her again until, very, very late in the game (then again, you might have suspected as much when you saw how broken she was). Volug actually sticks around, except unlike her (and unlike in part 1), he'll be subject to the mechanics that make laguz a pain to use.

On 10/12/2022 at 12:02 PM, Imuabicus said:

Micaiah – I mean Lord character, but I have half a mind to drop that Seraph Robe on her. I tried training her in chapter 9 with Paragon but everything 1HKOed her, so no dice. Lvl 11, I´mma try to feed her a few kills in chapter 10, I think?

I quite like Robe'd Micaiah - it not only boosts her survivability, but it lets her use Sacrifice more times before needing to be healed herself.

A Seraph Robe and an Ashera Icon are chilling in the convoy alongside 4 Master Seals and 2x Arms Scrolls. I´ve got 27k in the bank and 7500 BEXP. I´ve also removed most skills from units, other than Nolan Nihil, Sothe/Nailah Guard, Zihark Adept, Rafiels Blessing and Volugs Howl. I´d sell Vikas Shriek, Tauroneos Resolve and Ilyanas Shade 3,5k.

Have you sold Resolve yet? Because I would recommend against doing so. While it's basically useless on Tauroneo early on, other promoted units (i.e. Nolan, Zihark) or Volug can use it to great effect.

I´m iffy on Edward – he is competing with Zihark and has generally not been that great even with a forged iron. Lvl 14, perfectly average, except -1SPD. Again, maybe early promote? My worry is that I´m lowmanning too much and it´ll bite me in the future.

Lowmanning isn't a huge issue here... like, you definitely can't train everyone. I'm personally a fan of Edward - no, he's not as good as Zihark, but he can usually do fine enough with investment. Plus, he gets a signature weapon in Part III. I think he's a good candidate for early promotion. 

kinda wanna keep using Ilyana – lvl 15 she´s close to her averages only -1SPD and has made an… ok impression s´far as mages seem to go. Maybe early promote?

I'd recommend against it on Hard Mode, as she switches parties in Part III. But on Normal Mode, it's possible to make her work without screwing over the Dawn Brigade. Have at it.

Aran, Leonardo, Meg, Fiona, Vika have hit the bench and are at best treated as cannon fodder. They will not be reset for. There´s a case for Aran, sine I have a critical lack of Lances and he is lvl11 with +2SPD but so far… meh. Meh, I say.

Aran's utility comes down to his Speed level-ups. If he's getting doubled, particularly by high-attack enemies, he's in trouble. If not, he's a great frontliner. If yours has been speed-blessed this far, he may be a good investment. 

Leonardo warrants a mention for actually getting better in Part III. He also gets a strong signature weapon, and most of the enemies he'll face are locked to 1-range. One of the chapters has numerous arrow-weak foes, too. Plus, III-6 has a Brave Bow as hidden treasure, that no one else can use. If you have a Master Seal to spare and a level 10 Leo, then it's not the worst choice. But even unpromoted, he's essentially a free bring for some chip.

On 10/13/2022 at 4:15 AM, Imuabicus said:

Oh yeah, supports and the like... haven´t bothered with´em so far, will probably have to read up on which does what.

Definitely kick them off ASAP! There's no benefit to waiting. If you make a mistake, you can freely break a support, and create new ones.

On 10/12/2022 at 11:02 AM, Imuabicus said:

Personally, I like giving a Robe, mainly the very first one you get, to Micaiah. It gives me some margin of error in 1-9, at the very least.

On 10/12/2022 at 11:02 AM, Imuabicus said:

Personally, I like selling Arms Scrolls. They sell for a ton, and honestly, not very many units have issues with weapon rank. As far as skills go, you can go ahead and sell Shriek, it's pretty useless.

Edited by Shadow Mir

• 2 weeks later...

The attentive reader will note, that the topic has been yote into the PoR/RD general section, as I am playing both games at the same time.

I have however, after cruising to chapter 14 in PoR and 3-2 in RD only 1 question: does the AI ever get better? There´s been too many cases of the AI blocking itself from attacks by moving a 1 range enemy into a space a 2 range could have attacked from and random-ass vulnerary trading when attacks could have taken one of my guys out. It´s like SoV but worse.

I have apparently managed to miss a Seraph Robe by having Rolf speak to a House? Where´s the option to loot villages when you need it?

Edited by Imuabicus

4 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

I have apparently managed to miss a Seraph Robe by having Rolf speak to a House? Where´s the option to loot villages when you need it?

That house only gives you the Seraph Robe if visited by anyone besides Rolf, Boyd or Oscar. Having one of those three visit only gets you an info conversation instead. Honestly, I'd replay that chapter for the robe.

On the subject of PoR, did you get Astrid?

Edited by Shadow Mir

4 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

Astrid acquired and stowed away for safekeeping.

Oh good. She has Paragon, so she's easy to train. In case you hadn't figured it out, you need to shove Ike several times to get to her before the enemies do (and get Gatrie back in the process). Mordecai can expedite this with Smite. Getting the other deserter back on your side will take some doing, though.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Oh good.

Nvm, this woman levels stupid. She´s 1/20 Paladin and the only stats Titania has over her is 8HP, 3SPD and 1 DEF with 12 lvls difference. goddamn

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

In case you hadn't figured it out, you need to shove Ike several times to get to her before the enemies do

She stayed safe all on her own. Unlike Marcia. *cough*

5 minutes ago, Imuabicus said:

She stayed safe all on her own. Unlike Marcia. *cough*

Oof. Sounds like you rushed in that chapter where she first appears without realizing her appearance was tied to crossing a line in that map, and she died before you could get Ike to talk to her (which would allow you to recruit her later). You didn't inadvertently kill Jill in chapter 11, did you?

Edited by Shadow Mir

29 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Sounds like you rushed in that chapter where she first appears without realizing her appearance was tied to crossing a line in that map, and she died before you could get Ike to talk to her (which would allow you to recruit her later).

I play mostly blind.

She coulda flown behind Titanias large shoulders and be safe on the 1tile bridge but the AI decided to heal in the middle of the enemies. *shrug* 

31 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

You didn't inadvertently kill Jill in chapter 11, did you?

The Jill has been secured and thank fuck for that, because the game relies so much on you having a flier to make the maps bearable. Cringe-ass swamp tiles my foot.

1 minute ago, Imuabicus said:

The Jill has been secured and thank fuck for that, because the game relies so much on you having a flier to make the maps bearable. Cringe-ass swamp tiles my foot.

Goodo! The game doesn't tell you she's not recruitable in the chapter she appears, and thus getting her is contingent on her surviving that chapter (though given that she appears in the area where your units started, which you'd have ditched well before that, that ain't surprising). Which is jarring when most units with a name and a face that aren't bosses are recruitable.

Also, chapter 19 is tricky. An uber powerful enemy appears in that chapter. The trick is to field a hawk and Reyson, have the hawk talk to said enemy first, then he'll talk to Reyson come enemy phase. Once this is done, he'll leave the field along with his men (also, do try to avoid killing said men before this. If you do, you get the Knight Ring).