Design/ Predict future Arcane Weapons (and their users)!

DefyingFates

Both weapons we have so far have Special acceleration and follow-up effects so I figured they'd all be weapons that "anyone can use" and thought it'd be fun to talk about what sorts of weapons seem feasible for FEH and/ or would be the most useful for their weapon type. For bonus points, feel free to guess who'll introduce them to the game too! For example, I'm certain Thrasir will introduce an Arcane Green Tome since both others we've seen so far have matched the original weapon that their wielders first had (sword for Lif, colorless breath for Grima), just with a different movement type.

The weapons also seem to be "cursed" judging by their JPN name and the recent FB, so they'll likely end up with villains or anti-heroes, for further speculation fodder.

I know we already have a theorycrafting thread, but that's pretty old and I didn't want to necropost. This is also a bit more specific (I think) so I hope that helps too.

Craft away!

Our first two Arcane weapons filled in some notable gaps that were restricting unit builds.

Both weapons gave their weapon types an option to not need to run Quick Riposte (or similar skills) by granting a guaranteed follow-up in the weapon slot. This frees up the B slot and Sacred Seal slot to run other skills, which make some of the less used (and harder to get) B skills more appealing (like Dragon's Wrath, A/D Near Trace, Daring Fighter, etc.).

Arcane Grima also gives dragons an excuse to run defensive Specials by giving it bonus damage that is on par with 2-cooldown Specials.

I think we're eventually going to get a lance and an axe that have a similar effect as Arcane Eljudnir so that slow lances and slow axes also have actual build options (especially since an analogue to Coral Saber doesn't exist for them).

Bows, daggers, and tomes notably are lacking in good defensive weapons despite having units with defensive stats (currently, the best options are the Blooms tomes), so we're probably also going to be getting weapons with guaranteed follow-ups on them, too. However, they might be limited to enemy phase only and make up for it by granting damage reduction, which ranged units traditionally don't get access to outside of exclusive skills.

Bows and daggers are also likely to get a more offensive option since there is currently very little reason to use anything other than Vicious Dagger, Whitecap Bow, Brave Bow, or Firesweep Bow if a unit doesn't have an exclusive weapon of their own (or has an exclusive weapon with an outdated refine).

Since Arcane weapons are supposed to be strong, I think this is a valid excuse to introduce weapons that fix the shortcomings of unit archetypes that have fallen by the wayside and need something extremely strong in order to perform the same role as a unit with a better weapon and weapon type or class.

As far as characters go, I can see Ganglot and Thrasir having Arcane weapons, like Lif. If Ganglot somehow survives the current Tempest Trials arc, I can also see her resurrecting some previously killed characters as Rearmed Heroes in future story arcs. Like Surtr. Or Gunnthra. Or Nott. Or Sharena.

It doesn't look like Embla is going to live too much longer, so it's unlikely she'll be behind any Arcane weapons. Perhaps the antagonist of the next Book will have the ability to pass out Arcane weapons to new original characters or alts of existing characters so that we can have a steady stream of them.

We don't really have enough examples to really figure out what they want to do with Rearmed alts of existing characters. Lif and Robin both have lore behind why they have an Arcane weapon, but I don't think they'll be able to keep it up. Maybe we'll get more characters that are basically Fallen alts on normal banners (but get stuck in whatever purgatory Duo Ephraim was sent to) or maybe we'll get random normal characters that look normal other than the fact that the player picked Soul Edge as their weapon skin (just like any unit that you have inherit an Arcane weapon).

Edited by Ice Dragon

16 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Our first two Arcane weapons filled in some notable gaps that were restricting unit builds.

[...]

I was hoping for something in-depth like this, thank you!

Perhaps the antagonist of the next Book will have the ability to pass out Arcane weapons to new original characters or alts of existing characters so that we can have a steady stream of them.

I hadn't thought of that, but that's a good way to justify said stream too, neat!

Edit: I remembered Lif's description implies he got his sword from Thorr (or more likely Alfadhor). Of course it's not like IS is restrained to that being the only place Arcane weapons can come from, but maybe Thorr or Loki will be the main villains of Book VII anyway? We're getting closure to the Embla conflict in Book VI after all.

or maybe we'll get random normal characters that look normal other than the fact that the player picked Soul Edge as their weapon skin (just like any unit that you have inherit an Arcane weapon).

xD

Edited by DefyingFates

I theory crafted a bit on this in the Life and Death thread, so for the full theory (largely story based, of course) check there.

That said, here's what I think: there's an evil source powering the weapons. This could be Alfador. I don't think Thrasir will introduce an arcane weapon since she seems very afraid of them (that said, she may join us as she looks for Lif. More on that in the more detailed version in the Life and Death thread.) Thorr will maybe be the last/one of the last units to introduce an arcane weapon. (She's all about bringing out the potential in others so her being the distributer of weapons that can boost just about anyone's power makes a heckin' lot of sense from a story point of view.) Loki will wind up betraying Alfador and become an ally unit in whatever book we face off against Thorr and Alfador in (this is more a story guess than an arcane weapon guess but I figured I may as well throw it in here.) Triandra will introduce an arcane weapon, maybe as the/an antagonist in the next round of TT+ multi-part stories (and Peony will be the parallel Ascended hero, empowered by Freyr, probably by a dream he planted in her head or something thematic like that, just like how Ymir was able to use her life force to directly empower Eir.) Eitri might be reborn again or have some automaton or something she left behind to introduce an arcane weapon with (maybe she even invented this one.) Or, Dagr picked one up and thought it was shiny and cool and then whoops, it's evil and now she needs rescuing. (Not a lot of people survived Book 5, and it's unlikely to be that Reginn gets an arcane weapon since swords are taken, even though she has a special sword she never actually uses as a unit so... Yeah. Unless it randomly counts as a dagger or something...?) There's plenty of room for non-FEH heroes to introduce arcane weapons, whether for no particular reason or for plot reasons. (I.e., almost any fallen hero, assorted seasonal heroes, etc.) Could be another case of "dragons living so long they go insane" sort of thing, too. Like...

(Fates spoilers)

Spoiler

What if the Rainbow Sage kept living? Sounds like that could be the basis for a colorless tome arcane weapon (which sounds kind of redundant, really.)

Anyway, those are all the thoughts on it I have for now, I think.

Edit: OH YEAH!

IF Elm somehow survives his poisoning, I could see him being granted power (maybe this power is what enables him to survive the poisoning, even after Embla dies), maybe by Thorr, which results in him getting an arcane beaststone that can be given to any beast unit. It would also set up for whenever Openness vs Closure (dang these names are on theme) comes up and Ash needs a counterpart to interact with. Alfador/Thorr revitalizing Elm (or some corrupt version of him or something) with this power makes a lot of story sense, while also giving us our arcane beast. (It would also be cool to see how Thorr interacts with a non-god/non-mortal.) I could totally see her being all "You were created by the gods to serve the gods. Though your original master is dead, I now call you forth now to test the mortals. Now, you serve Lord Alfador. Be grateful to have been given this chance to act in his service." (So we basically get Fallen Elm as Rearmed Elm, granted power from Alfador instead of from Embla to sustain him. That said, the poor guy is still probably going to be in a lot of pain from losing Embla (which he'll probably hide because he comes from broken bonds and is used to putting duty first), not that the gods care, if Lif's perspective is to be believed, and it really looks like the story is heading that way.) So, we'll probably get a pitiable, bitter, tormented Elm as our Rearmed beast, yeah. (Or IS will give us any female beast for no actual reason. Or Freyja? Eh, could be, but this option with Elm fills in a lot of plot holes, so...)

Edited by Mercakete

51 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

(Fates spoilers)

52 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

So, we'll probably get a pitiable, bitter, tormented Elm as our Rearmed beast, yeah.

I think colorless tomes and beasts will be the last to get Arcane weapons, but Elm would be three years away so that could happen. As for Reginn,

53 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

even though she has a special sword she never actually uses as a unit so...

I think an infantry sword unit with Gramr would be a great fit for an Ascended unit - the infantry part comes from the Book V trailers, but she could just as easily get another mech to justify keeping Seidr Shell and Canto.

I'd actually forgotten that the Ascended/ Rearmed OCs got their power from the FEH gods until you pointed out Peony's situation, but we got a god come out of nowhere to boss Lif around, so maybe we'll get a forgotten Ljosalfheimr god showing up to help Peony? Freyr lingering as a dream works too though, or maybe even Freyja could get a redemption arc by filling that role instead? She's already sleeping after all, so she's already halfway there~

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

Freyr lingering as a dream works too though, or maybe even Freyja could get a redemption arc by filling that role instead? She's already sleeping after all, so she's already halfway there~

I just wanted to say that this is a very, very good point. (I may edit in other things sometime but this warranted an immediate response.)

Also, the Reginn bit about her being an infantry swordie Ascended unit is perfect. This goes even further as Eitri herself gets all excited when she realizes Reginn's bloodline specifically because she talks about the Nidavellir dragon not having completely abandoned them. So, we may get a reveal of the dragon like we're getting Ganglot, along with her ascended version with Gramr. (I don't know why I began thinking of Gramr as being an arcane sword instead of thinking of Reginn getting an ascended form, whoops.)

On 10/23/2022 at 2:25 PM, Mercakete said:

she talks about the Nidavellir dragon not having completely abandoned them. So, we may get a reveal of the dragon like we're getting Ganglot

Ooh, I'd completely forgotten about that, thanks! It sounds like the dragon will be benevolent if Eitri thought it would help Nidavellir (since her own philosophy seems to be "ends justify the means", she'd probably think the dragon would agree with her), but we'll see.

As for Arcane Weapons, I've said before, I think Thrasir is a likely wielder of one despite the FB also so I can use a Green Tome to get more mileage out of my og!Nino. I'd also like to see some supportive options alongside the current offensive ones (i.e. we'd get an offense oriented weapon for each type AND a supportive one) so that everyone gets something they could potentially use.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2022 at 11:58 PM, Sunwoo said:

If we don't get Rearmed Julius out of this, I don't see the point of non-OC Rearmed Heroes existing.

What would you like him to be, Armored Red Tome?

I've been seeing some people (mostly PM1) speculate that the Book 7 freebie (only 3.5 weeks away if you can believe it) would be a Rearmed Hero. Does anyone see that happening? We've had three free Lights and one Astra Hero so far, so I was expecting one of the latter. Or even a Dark Hero, after we just got the powerhouse that is Arval for Anima.

4 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

What would you like him to be, Armored Red Tome?

I've been seeing some people (mostly PM1) speculate that the Book 7 freebie (only 3.5 weeks away if you can believe it) would be a Rearmed Hero. Does anyone see that happening? We've had three free Lights and one Astra Hero so far, so I was expecting one of the latter. Or even a Dark Hero, after we just got the powerhouse that is Arval for Anima.

Armored red tome sounds pretty good and somewhat realistic. While I'd like for him to get a different colored tome, I acknowledge that blue and green don't work aesthetically for dark tomes (unless you're Odin) and I doubt they'd give us a colorless rearmed tome this early when only Niime lacks a prf.

Hmmmm. I guess it wouldn't surprise me if it is a free Rearmed Hero. We've had one free legendary, a shitton of free mythic units ... and Ascended won't make sense in this case. Maybe?

I wouldn't say no, if only so I can finally give Titania a good weapon. 🙂 But then his second-most premium skill would probably be a Far Save or a Fighter skill and be mostly useless to me. That said, I'd rather it happen nearer the anniversary celebrations instead of, like, this week.