Surprisingly Good Units

3PercentCrit

Every once in a while I'll decide to use a unit that most would simply look over or promote a unit into a class that most wouldn't use at all, such as the time I promoted Moulder into a sage, my obsession with the trainee units in The Sacred Stones, or my Armored Knight Bord in Shadow Dragon that had max defense and 0 speed. What's your example of a unit that shouldn't work but did?

• eclipse locked and unlocked this topic

Well, reckon most of the ones from Binding Blade come to mind. You got the pegasus kinights... Shanna’s got the speed and magic resistance, Thea got the brute strength, and that 3rd one, whatsherass Juno I think....She gives ya the triangle trick at least if she aint good for anything else. 

I had Wolt do alright in the one chapter where you fight Murdock as another bow to help take down them 200 bazillion wyvern riders

In honor of the thread getting moved, I'm going to reply with a GBA character anyway.

Garret is pretty good. He's bulky, his speed is passable, and he joins with decent stats right out of the box. He also gets Hard Mode bonuses, which can make him join with nearly capped HP. As a level 1 berserker.

Lyre from RD.  

Serious answer: Ross the Boss. FE8 was my first FE, and i didn't know what was a trainee unit. Was wondering why this little boy is so weak, but a friend advised me to train him. Ended up overshadowing his father and one-shotting the final boss with a crit.

6 hours ago, Immortalkickass said:

Lyre from RD.  

Serious answer: Ross the Boss. FE8 was my first FE, and i didn't know what was a trainee unit. Was wondering why this little boy is so weak, but a friend advised me to train him. Ended up overshadowing his father and one-shotting the final boss with a crit.

Ross is one of my favorite units to use, so I completely agree with this. While he isn't my favorite trainee unit (That spot would go to my good ol' level 15 summoner Ewan) I always use him and he turns out to be one of my best units. Those 10 extra levels really make a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Mordecai in RD is surprisingly good considering how bad most Laguz units have it in that game due to their transformation mechanics.

He has like 16 base defense untransformed, only 5 points less than Brom (who is an armored unit lol). Transforming him gives him a whooping 32 defense and lets him tank hard, hit like a truck, on top of having 9 move.

Edited by DaveCozy

Y'know, I think Charlotte's pretty good, too. I'd've said Odin because, y'know, Nosferatu, but I think people pretty solidly recognize that he's a good unit now. Charlotte is mostly remembered as that great fashion accessory for Xander, which is true, but she's also able to kill things when she hits- which really just requires taking off gamble and giving her a different weapon. C axes right out the gate also means instant Dual Club access, which is pretty slammin'.