1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

The forced loss thing has at least been done well in Spec Ops where the illusion of victory exists, and I've heard Stalker manages to get some of that too, but I'm generally of the opinion that a forced loss is a form of deceit, and not a clever one either. I agree with you and Miyamoto on the first part, but I definitely know which side I want to err on.

I would say that, in examples like the ones I mentioned, it works because there is no deceit; the context of the final mission makes it that there's no illusion of victory. Going into something like Final Fantasy Crisis Core: a prequel about a character that is a posthumous character in FF7, even if one hasn't played FF7, they're not going into the final fight with the illusion that Zack can win.

The exception would be Shadow of the Colossus, where one does not expect the forced loss at the end due to the game being a stealth-prequel to Ico, but that one still works because the table has been turned on the player: the player spent the whole game playing as a human hunting and slaying colossi, and then the game has the player be a colossus unable to win against humans. In a game that is in many ways an analysis of the very concept of boss fights, it makes sense that the player is essentially the final boss at the end.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ended up not playing Pokemon BDSP, for several reasons that had well-established consensus (Like, no Hisuian Pokemon + no Sylveon? WTF?), but the chibi artwork I didn't mind too much - that was hardly a dealbraker on a level many people made it out to be.

EDIT: Initially I've posted another unopoular opinion, but as I really do not understand why people have been thinking otherwise, I've started a new thread on it.

Edited by henrymidfields

• 4 weeks later...

As a follow up to one of my previous posts, I've written a long tract in Reddit on what I want from a BW remake that people over there has been discussing.

Spoiler

From this page in Reddit:

Starting off from where I last wrote, I am one of the few people who really do not like the worldbuilding of Unova. And this is something I would like to see getting fixed should the near-inevitable BW remake comes up that I've noticed in discussions, because of how not-American the game looks. And for that matter, I also like to point out my suggestion of what to fix, particularly showcasing how Earthbound from the 90s did a lot better depicting their America-expy, Eagleland.

• A lot of the towns/cities should be designed with actually showcasing the real-life local architecture that bears the identity. Places like Onett, Twoson, and Threed from Earthbound, or Motorville (which is Ni no Kuni's Detroit) should be the representative Small-town or suburban American features for a lot of the smaller town across Unova. More stuff like Richardsonian Romanesque, the Prarie Style, or the Early Colonial and Federal styles. Nuvema is probably the closest to being depicted like the above.
  • Castelia too, looks like just some modern city anywhere, while Fourside in Earthbound actually looks like one of the US cities that grew up in the 20th Century. Give me the McKim-Mead-White-style and Art Deco buildings that featured so much across various American media, such as, yes, 1920s NYC in Great Gatsby, or Gotham City in Batman. Ironically, Nacrene City did a better job than Castelia (or, really, any Unovan city) of depicting an urban American area, a great depiction of the walk-up districts in Brooklyn.
  • Gear Station should also either look something like the gritty subways of New York, or the graceful classical interior space of Grand Central and former Penn Station. For Nimbasa, We could also do with a rickety boardwalk area similar to Atlantic City or Coney Island.
  • Opelucid City should be implied to be a state capital, and be depicted as an Old Town Philly from the Colonial Era in White, while a Silicon Valley or a Bay Area-style tech district in Black. Heck, maybe we could even visit the other district as a post-game bonus.

Now this is where things get messy, and such a drastic change would open a new can of worms. At these risks, I will still prefer these changes compared to the original:

• Ghetsis should be depicted as some form of benevolent governor, a businessman, or a official of the region, or some other important figure (like Monotoli or the mayor in Onett in Earthbound) at the start of the game, while N be depicted as his dutiful son for the earlier parts of the story. At the end, of course, we could see that all of this was a lie as per canon.
  • Lt Surge making an actual appearance in Virbank City. Let's revisit the "Lightning American", and make him the "Lightning Unovan". Say he was recalled home, or even just visiting his family for Christmas (during the Winter season).
  • The Clerks should be more like a cultural references to, say, Trading Places, Wolf of Wall Street, or the Pursuit of Happyness; like US businesspeople, not Japanese salarymen. The other NPCs aren't as bad, though.
  • At the risk of creating a tinderbox, I would very much prefer axing the Kami trio, and retcon them as Hisuian (as they already appeared in PLA), or at least make them explicitly non-Native to Unova. Gosh, I hate how a Shintoist legendary was brought into a region that is meant to be non-Japanese! It would have been better off having a legendary based off American folklore. Whether it was bigfoot, Wendigo, Mothman, the Jersey Devil, etc. I wouldn't mind if a new legendary was introduced in place of that which better reflects the old folklore of East Coast USA - heck, maybe even tie them to the region's Pokemon Legends Unova entry.

I'll happily buy a BW remake if at least a third of the above happens in the redesigning process.

Realistic-looking games are really kinda boring and have pessimistic plots that serve to reinforce the sobering aspects of reality that we're supposed to be trying to get away from by playing video games in the first place. They're also loaded with bloat content to justify the $60 price tag, which just means they take far too long to actually play through and complete.

I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I really dislike when primarily single-player games with incorporated optional multiplayer elements uses that optional online multiplayer as an excuse to deny the player the ability to pause the game.

I was reminded of this recently while I was playing Monster Hunter Rise. I play the game offline and single player, and the game is designed with that being feasible; you could play the whole game by yourself and not miss any content at all. And yet, I cannot pause the game.

It's getting harder to remember (mainly because I was just a kid when online multiplayer became a thing), but I remember a time when even multiplayer games could be paused. I remember playing Smash Bros. Melee with my siblings and being able to pause when we needed to.

I can completely understand a purely online multiplayer not allowing the player to pause the game. But these single player games with optional online multiplayer have a thing called playing offline; Monster Hunter Rise, the Souls games, etc., have toggles for selecting to either play offline or online. For these games, they really should make it that, when playing offline, the player can pause the game.

Unpopular gaming opinions? Hoo boy! Let’s see here…

Pokémon Sword is the best Pokémon game (Yeah I said it). I mean, there’s dynamaxing, Sword/Shield doggos, those awesome gym stadiums, and the OST is amazing as Pokémon music typically is. Not to mention, Hop is the extramostbestest boy and I like his arc in the game. Definitely one of the best rivals in Pokémon imo. #GalarRegionIsBestRegion

Not sure if this is technically an unpopular opinion, but I find Pokémon Scarlet to be a pretty fun Pokémon game. The large open world, 3 major quest lines, and characters all make Scarlet a pretty enjoyable experience (minus the bugs and performance of course).

I cannot for the life of me get into any Soulsborne kind of game. Just not a fan of that sort of gameplay as it seems too trial and error if you ask me.

Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright is the best of the 3 Fates routes. Better than Conquest story-wise, I am a sucker for routing enemies, and I feel like Revelations is bit of a copout. #Hoshidan4Life

I don’t like Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE/Encore. Now I’m a big fan of Fire Emblem and like me some Personas, but put them together and you get this Persona-esque game that just so happens to have Fire Emblem in it because it’s a crossover. Hyrule/Fire Emblem Warriors was a much better crossover game than this one was in my opinion.

Mega Man X6 is actually better than X5 in a lot of ways:

• No time limit, thus no pressure.
  • Parts are much easier to find.
  • Injured Reploids have more diverse designs and yield rewards besides healing.
  • Story is more interesting and has a more upbeat and hopeful ending (for once).
  • Alia receives more characterization here than in any other game in the series.
  • Gate is an interesting new antagonist with some parallels to Dr. Wily, and with more backstory and emotional investment than Sigma.
  • The ability to reach Gate's Lab three different ways, with different cutscenes to accompany each method, is quite novel.
  • Music's less about drama and more about kickin' ass.
  • The Blade and Shadow Armor sets are cooler-looking than the Falcon and Gaea Armors.
  • No mandatory Ride Chaser segments.
  • Alia's intermissions are skippable after the first time.
  • We finally got a freaking wolf Maverick.
  • Speaking of whom, we got no less than three (four if you count Commander Yammark) genuinely sympathetic bosses. And the first three don't even bear any ill will or malice towards our heroes.
  • Zero's Z-Saber finally has a proper blade to it, instead of looking like a green flame and only projecting a blade while he's swinging it.

On 11/24/2022 at 2:19 AM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Civ6 is also just a really, terribly, awfully balanced game, not only in terms of civilizations being unbalanced but also in terms of the absurdity of its own mechanics.

What do you mean, your country doesn´t pray engineers into existence? smh

That´s also just gonna happen if you try and categorize the entirety of global human history.

US Armies in 5000 B.C? Kinda dogshit.

Babylonian warcarts in 21st century? feels polish man

i´m just salty no austria is in there... like even hungary made it in and they´ve been real quiet since mohacs dropped

at least give me vienna or salzburg as a city state 😕

On 1/18/2023 at 2:30 AM, Lord_Brand said:

Mega Man X6 is actually better than X5 in a lot of ways:

This is not the first time I've heard X5 put underneath X6, actually.

On 1/20/2023 at 11:33 AM, Imuabicus said:

What do you mean, your country doesn´t pray engineers into existence? smh

They go to all this effort to make faith an alternate currency you care about and it's main use is having a special ability to spend it on things you can already by with gold. You don't even generate them differently.

14 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

They go to all this effort to make faith an alternate currency you care about and it's main use is having a special ability to spend it on things you can already by with gold. You don't even generate them differently.

And?

There´s more than one way to generate faith, just like gold (Pantheon, Believes, Relics, being Russia/Mali, some World Wonders, specific improvements like Ethiopias)? Not like building a holy site is free.

Also faith being cheaper than gold to buy, Age of Monumentality being a massive powerspike if you got the faith, can´t buy naturalist/religious units (obv.), Valletas CS ability being super useful for grinding out walls or Flood Barriers, the beliefs that allow you to buy buildings in certain districts and more I probably never even encountered/used.

It´s just one more option. How well or "balanced" that´s executed is another discussion entirely.

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2022 at 2:43 PM, Imuabicus said:

Sorry for the weird format - I submitted before being done and couldn´t insert quotes.

@vanguard333

Hide contents
  Reveal hidden contents

snip

On the one hand I wanna disagree with you, because the whole game is about observing the enemies moveset, but on the other hand once that´s done it´s just a rythmgame. And a lot of the time you play as an anklebiter against much larger guys - 1v1 with similar sized enemies are where the games is better, but then there is Sekiro which does that but better.

Stopping in Highwall of Lothric is like... 2% of the game XD

That pretty much sums up my problem with Souls games like Dark Souls 3: I'm up against this monstrosity that is stronger than my character in every conceivable way; do I win by being smarter than it? No; I win by exploiting that it's an AI with limited attack options, memorize the attack options, then rely on the i-frames provided by dodge-rolling to victory. Monster Hunter is deliberately ludicrous and operating entirely on rule-of-cool, and yet, it actually makes more sense than Souls fights. I have previously brought this up with Souls fans, and the usual responses are either "That's the point", "Git gud", or "Try Demon's Souls then; the bosses in that one are more like Zelda bosses and you'll probably like those."

Yeah, I'm aware that the High Wall of Lothric is extremely early in the game. But I mean, I didn't see how to progress as I kept getting lost, and where normally my enjoyment of a game would propel me to keep going, I wasn't enjoying Dark Souls 3 at all, so I couldn't really keep going.

Incidentally, I once saw a video by a video game reviewer where they basically summed up their problems with the later Souls games by bringing up what they thought Demon's Souls excelled at the most, and one of the things they brought up as a problem was the games being increasingly reliant on memorizing attack patterns. I wonder what you think of it:

Spoiler

Edited by vanguard333

To preface, of the Fromsoft Games I have only played DS3, Sekiro, Elden Ring, though I have seen bits and bobs of the other games.

On 3/1/2023 at 4:10 AM, vanguard333 said:

That pretty much sums up my problem with Souls games like Dark Souls 3: I'm up against this monstrosity that is stronger than my character in every conceivable way; do I win by being smarter than it? No; I win by exploiting that it's an AI with limited attack options, memorize the attack options, then rely on the i-frames provided by dodge-rolling to victory. Monster Hunter is deliberately ludicrous and operating entirely on rule-of-cool, and yet, it actually makes more sense than Souls fights. I have previously brought this up with Souls fans, and the usual responses are either "That's the point", "Git gud", or "Try Demon's Souls then; the bosses in that one are more like Zelda bosses and you'll probably like those."

But what would being smarter than the monstrosity entail? You aren´t "outsmarting" Tower Knight by hitting it´s ankles because it otherwise doesn´t take much damage, not outsmarting Phalanx by throwing Fire Bombs at it´s back because the front is basically impenetrable, not outsmarting Storm King by using Storm Ruler, outsmarting Adjuticator by hitting his one weak spot, outsmarting Dragon God by literally standing behind a pillar and so on and so forth. Or I guess you "are" outsmarting them, in exactly the one way the developers intended you to.

I mean, I don´t really know how to make these fights better other than giving the player more/better defensive options, like Sekiros deflecting or Mechanics such as the Mikiri Counter or just plain jumping over or ducking under certain attacks in ER, things the player can pick up to actively have easier/better fights, but turning them into a literal gimmick one-trick seems the wrong thing to do? Hell, in ER we do have the Blasphemous Claw, Mohgs and Margits shackle, which can make a part of the fight easier, or the Flask upgrade which negates a critical dange from Mohgwyyns fight. But no fight in Souls exists to my knowledge that is so... utterly uninteresting that no measure of defense would be required. I suppose Maiden Astraea exists.

I have seen nothing from Demon Souls (Bosses) that made me interested in it, not the bosses, neither the "normal" souls bosses, because these seem entirely inferior to DS3, ER nor the one-trick-gimmick fights because these things just don´t look fun to me -  they look like chores more than anything.

I´m not 100% sure what you mean with MHs rule-of-cool, but the exact reason I´ll never pick it up is because everything looks oversized, obnoxiously loud, hyper colourful and exaggerated.

On 3/1/2023 at 4:10 AM, vanguard333 said:

Incidentally, I once saw a video by a video game reviewer where they basically summed up their problems with the later Souls games by bringing up what they thought Demon's Souls excelled at the most, and one of the things they brought up as a problem was the games being increasingly reliant on memorizing attack patterns. I wonder what you think of it:

Hide contents

With all due respect, it sounds like one big nostalgia induced whine about immersion, with a dash of tedium-glorification and topped off with a solid amount of souls-elitism.

See my point about Tower Knight, Phalanx etc above: you will never not dodge, parry what have you. Enemies don´t freeze up, while you "outsmart" them. Defense is a core mechanic of the game and dodging is the biggest part of that - "outsmarting" is not. Exploiting an obvious weakness is the intended way to finish an otherwise intentionally tedious fight. 

And if it´s about immersion: why is it immersive that an enemy let´s you exploit it´s one weakness? Why does Dragon God just sit in his Volcano, patiently waiting for you to shoot 2 harpoons into his arms? Why does he die from getting whacked on the chin of all things? Why does he not break the harpoons? Why did Adjuticator never remove the knife from his wound, into which you hit? Why does the Storm King keep returning to the area in which a murder hobo with the single one weapon capable of hurting him lurk? Why does Phalanx change it´s formation? 

Because if they didn´t there wouldn´t be a story to tell, no game to sell. Is this sort of blatantly stupid behaviour immersive to you? To me this seems... almost insulting to the player? I would prefer fighting Yhorm with normal health, a more interesting moveset and the weapon of my choice, rather than using Stormbringer and rolling an angry stomp every other minute. 

Hell, the most popular method of outsmarting the enemy in recent times might be Godskins in ER. You know what they are weak to? Sleep. You can put enemies to sleep, very useful when fighting 2 at the same time and Godskin Duo is a mandatory story fight. It took, I think, 2 months after release until someone pointed it out on reddit. Or using a frost pot to stagger Malenia out of her Waterfowl Dance, her most dangerous move. Or trying to deal with Revenants, extremely dangerous enemies in ER that are weak to healing spells, or the Carian Hand enemies getting stunned once by fire.... these things exist. People just aren´t using these things or trying these things out, because enemies are designed so that you can beat them and not such, that it leaves only one way.

I agree in some part with the camera, though that is more because there are too many enemies too large for me to see what they are doing. Other than that, no issue on my part. Then again, I don´t really use lock-on.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 10:10 AM, vanguard333 said:

up my problem with Souls games like Dark Souls 3: I'm up against this monstrosity that is stronger than my character in every conceivable way; do I win by being smarter than it? No; I win by exploiting that it's an AI with limited attack options, memorize the attack options, then rely on the i-frames provided by dodge-rolling to victory.

Lets be real, any "smart" thing player can do still limited to what the developer provided to player. When thats not the case, it would be a sandbox-y game, and that usually throw away the rule of cool or sometimes immersiveness since beat it using weird method. In most cases players are not being smart, players still use whatever the game actually coded for its weakness. Sometimes its obvious sometimes not.

Inuabicus already provided example of ER bosses that can be beaten using other than bravado/memorizing attack pattern. I dont see big difference with monster hunter, because attacking monster weakpoint still in line with attacking boss using the elemental weakness in ER. And i had my share of frustrating fights in monster hunter that i cant beat it unless i learn how the game operate rather than being smart about it.

Maybe elaborate more about "outsmarting" enemies,  because being smart usually involved games with puzzle.

If you want more "makes sense" i recommend Dragons dogma if you havent already. You can topple, grab, and then toss goblin off the cliff, if you want. Or climb a monster and smack their face instead of hitting their feet to beat it

9 hours ago, joevar said:

Lets be real, any "smart" thing player can do still limited to what the developer provided to player. When thats not the case, it would be a sandbox-y game, and that usually throw away the rule of cool or sometimes immersiveness since beat it using weird method. In most cases players are not being smart, players still use whatever the game actually coded for its weakness. Sometimes its obvious sometimes not.

Maybe elaborate more about "outsmarting" enemies,  because being smart usually involved games with puzzle.

Okay; even if it has to be provided by the player, winning because the developers provided something about the situation that I can exploit is far better than just memorizing an attack pattern and exploiting i-frames.

I'll try, but I'm not very good at explaining due to my autism. Let me put it this way: I like to think of "challenge" and "difficulty" as two different things: for me, challenge is how much I need to understand the game and what the developers have provided and think about what I'm doing, while "difficulty" is how mechanically hard things are (example: how precisely I need to press the "roll" button at the right time). My criticism of games like Dark Souls 3 is that they are all difficulty, no challenge.

10 hours ago, joevar said:

I don't see big difference with monster hunter, because attacking monster weakpoint still in line with attacking boss using the elemental weakness in ER. And I had my share of frustrating fights in monster hunter that i cant beat it unless i learn how the game operate rather than being smart about it.

In the case of Monster Hunter, there is far more than exploiting monster weakpoints. There are a ton of nuances and different mechanics that can provide an advantage, and a number of ways to gain an advantage through utilizing the area and situation; this is especially true in the newest game: Monster Hunter Rise, thanks to the introduction of endemic life and wyvern riding.

For one thing: preparation is important. There are a ton of items the player can bring with them including traps, poisoned meat, flash bombs, sonic bombs, potions, etc., to gain an advantage, but not all of them will be useful against the specific monster, and the player must store them in the same item pouch in which items obtained during the hunt are stored, meaning the player has to decide which specific items they might need the most.

Not only that, but each monster has something about them that the player can exploit to gain an advantage; all of which are contextualized and are intuitive if the player thinks about the situation. Here's a list of examples off the top of my head:

Spoiler

Normal Monsters:

1. Flying monsters like Rathalos can be brought to the ground using a flash bomb.

2. For monsters that rely on their tail for powerful attacks, such as Rathian, their tail can be severed, greatly reducing the reach and power of those attacks.

3. For Basarios: a monster whose outer shell looks and is as strong as a pile of rocks, initially only the head and underside are weakpoints; attacking the outer shell will barely do much damage. However, when the monster heats itself up for fire attacks, the shell takes more damage, and breaking the shell will make the shell always take normal damage from attacks.

4. Keeping Royal Ludroth: an amphibious monster with a sponge-like mane, away from water will dehydrate it, weakening it.

5. Bishaten is a giant monkey that pockets fruit and throws it at the player. Attacking the tail when Bishaten's standing on its tail will cause it to lose balance and make it drop its fruit; enabling the player to collect the fruit and use it against Bishaten.

6. Goss Harag is a bear that can stand its hind legs and use its ice breath to create ice swords on its forelegs. The ice swords can be shattered; temporarily weakening the monster.

7. Tetranadon is a monster that fights like a sumo wrestler, and it will sometimes eat up some of the ground to puff up its belly for stronger attacks. Repeatedly hitting the belly will force it to spit out everything it ate and knock it on its side.

8. Barioth is a sabre-tooth-tiger wyvern that relies heavily on precise dash attacks. Break its claws and it will start to slip.

Elder Dragons:

1. Chameleos is really annoying thanks to its camouflage and its theft. However, there are ways around the camouflage: one is by breaking the horn on its head, and the other is by inflicting elemental blights on it; causing it to always have the elemental blight outline even when camouflaged. This would be another case of "exploit weakpoint" if not for there being endemic life in Monster Hunter Rise that can be used by the player to inflict elemental blights.

2. Thunder Serpent Narwa's electric powers causes platforms to levitate through electrostatic shock, and these platforms can be used by the player to avoid attacks and get closer to Narwa's weakpoints. These platforms sometimes have ballistae and cannons on them as well for inflicting damage on Narwa from a distance.

Plus, when I said that Monster Hunter's combat "made more sense", I was also talking about there being far less emphasis on dodging: only a few weapon types, such as Sword & Shield and Dual Blades, even has dodge-rolling at all, and unlike Dark Souls, it isn't a crutch; it is a lot more situational in its usefulness.

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I'll try, but I'm not very good at explaining due to my autism. Let me put it this way: I like to think of "challenge" and "difficulty" as two different things: for me, challenge is how much I need to understand the game and what the developers have provided and think about what I'm doing, while "difficulty" is how mechanically hard things are (example: how precisely I need to press the "roll" button at the right time). My criticism of games like Dark Souls 3 is that they are all difficulty, no challenge.

i understand that you perceive those 2 things as different. but i personally disagree what you describe as difficulty. an example that i deem a blatant insult to player is exactly like any Fire emblem difficulty before Engage (so many other games are like this too, but FE easier to relate for this forum): stat inflation, no difference in behaviour, basically quantities going up with little change in qualities.

Souls series never had any visible option of difficulty, so i wouldnt say pressing dodge roll as difficulty. because that would fit into challenge since its about how good you can timely press it, and it perfectly within "I need to understand the game" like you said; you need to understand roll only give you momentary "safe moment" , you cant spam roll, you can chain roll into an attack, etc. difficulty wont change this in so many games, what they will cahnge is how "punished" you are if you fail it. 

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Plus, when I said that Monster Hunter's combat "made more sense", I was also talking about there being far less emphasis on dodging: only a few weapon types, such as Sword & Shield and Dual Blades, even has dodge-rolling at all, and unlike Dark Souls, it isn't a crutch; it is a lot more situational in its usefulness.

i guess all this boils down to: you hate dodge timing, that leads to boss one shotting you. or you want more engaged and personal enemy that gives more "reactions".

Boss in souls series are not fought within 10-15+ minutes of juggling between areas like in monhun, they are already fundamentally different than bosses in game like dark soul, or any other hack and slash games. since they are not bosses after all. I mean, can you really be smart when trying to beat Fatalis , Alatreon, or even Safi'Jiva but also being bad at attacking, reading its attack pattern? i highly doubt it. that would be more fair comparison to DS bosses than those monster you put on the list.

but hey, i guess theres a good reasons why Elden Ring massively popular despite lots of people, i mean, LOTS of people downplaying the game as just another souls but open map. because theres a lot more ways to cheese bosses. if you're bad at dodge, you can still win the fight as single player mode unlike DS where its more tight overall. And i wonder which boss of DS3 spark this much disgust toward the whole gameplay.

Edited by joevar

Looter shooters are actually really fun, and I am sick of the scumbags who intentionally tank these games with negative PR before they're even out.

I was looking forward to Suicide Squad. But now it's been delayed, and now it's going to be dead on arrival whether it's good or not - just because a bunch of assholes on the internet arbitrarily decided they don't like these games, and they don't want anyone else to either.

13 minutes ago, joevar said:

I guess all this boils down to: you hate dodge timing, that leads to boss one shotting you. or you want more engaged and personal enemy that gives more "reactions".

Boss in souls series are not fought within 10-15+ minutes of juggling between areas like in monhun, they are already fundamentally different than bosses in game like dark soul, or any other hack and slash games. since they are not bosses after all. I mean, can you really be smart when trying to beat Fatalis , Alatreon, or even Safi'Jiva but also being bad at attacking, reading its attack pattern? i highly doubt it. that would be more fair comparison to DS bosses than those monster you put on the list.

but hey, theres a good reasons why Elden Ring massively popular despite lots of people, i mean, LOTS of people downplaying the game as just another souls but open map. because theres a lot more ways to cheese bosses. unlike DS where its more tight overall. And i wonder which boss of DS3 spark this much disgust toward the whole gameplay.

I don't hate dodge-rolling; I dislike that the Souls series relies on dodge-rolling as a crutch. Imagine, for just one moment, if the i-frames were removed from dodge-rolling from one of the Dark Souls games or Elden Ring. I imagine the vast majority of players would consider the game unplayable, especially the ones that cry "Git gud" at the sight of any criticism of the series, despite the fact that blocking and parrying are options that exist and are supposed to be viable. 

Wanting a more engaged and reactive enemy is probably a lot closer to what I'm talking about.

I haven't fought any of those three (and I have only heard of that first one); I've only played Monster Hunter Rise, and those three aren't in Rise. I am aware that Monster Hunter is a different type of game; Monster Hunter revolves around the hunt as a gameplay loop, while Souls games are supposed to be about exploring a world, and less of the player's time is spent fighting bosses.

The answer is: basically all of them. Name one boss fight in DS3 where the boss fight doesn't revolve around memorizing the attack patterns and pressing dodge-roll at the right time. At least the Dancer was designed so its rhythm matches the song, so the player also keeping up with the song provides an advantage, but that's the only thing I can think of in any of the DS3 boss fights that goes beyond "roll when they attack, attack when they pause".

I don't dislike the dodge-rolling itself; I dislike dodge-rolling over and over again with the only variation in the fights being the specific attack pattern; an attack pattern which, after I memorize and beat the boss, I never have to think about ever again and that will never help me ever again unless another boss copies that attack pattern.

14 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Looter shooters are actually really fun, and I am sick of the scumbags who intentionally tank these games with negative PR before they're even out.

I was looking forward to Suicide Squad. But now it's been delayed, and now it's going to be dead on arrival whether it's good or not - just because a bunch of [noun removed from the quote] on the internet arbitrarily decided they don't like these games, and they don't want anyone else to either.

Suicide Squad isn't getting bad reception because it's a looter shooter; it's getting a bad reception because it's another live-service game. I don't know anyone who has a problem with the concept of a looter shooter in-of-itself; I do know a lot of people who are sick of live-service games for completely understandable reasons (Anthem, Avengers, Babylon's Fall, the list goes on).

29 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I don't hate dodge-rolling; I dislike that the Souls series relies on dodge-rolling as a crutch. Imagine, for just one moment, if the i-frames were removed from dodge-rolling from one of the Dark Souls games or Elden Ring. I imagine the vast majority of players would consider the game unplayable, especially the ones that cry "Git gud" at the sight of any criticism of the series, despite the fact that blocking and parrying are options that exist and are supposed to be viable. 

Wanting a more engaged and reactive enemy is probably a lot closer to what I'm talking about.

I haven't fought any of those three (and I have only heard of that first one); I've only played Monster Hunter Rise, and those three aren't in Rise. I am aware that Monster Hunter is a different type of game; Monster Hunter revolves around the hunt as a gameplay loop, while Souls games are supposed to be about exploring a world, and less of the player's time is spent fighting bosses.

The answer is: basically all of them. Name one boss fight in DS3 where the boss fight doesn't revolve around memorizing the attack patterns and pressing dodge-roll at the right time. At least the Dancer was designed so its rhythm matches the song, so the player also keeping up with the song provides an advantage, but that's the only thing I can think of in any of the DS3 boss fights that goes beyond "roll when they attack, attack when they pause".

I don't dislike the dodge-rolling itself; I dislike dodge-rolling over and over again with the only variation in the fights being the specific attack pattern; an attack pattern which, after I memorize and beat the boss, I never have to think about ever again and that will never help me ever again unless another boss copies that attack pattern.

Suicide Squad isn't getting bad reception because it's a looter shooter; it's getting a bad reception because it's another live-service game. I don't know anyone who has a problem with the concept of a looter shooter in-of-itself; I do know a lot of people who are sick of live-service games for completely understandable reasons (Anthem, Avengers, Babylon's Fall, the list goes on).

Some of the flak is absolutely that it is a gear-based shooter. And while I get people's frustrations with live service games, some of us actually are in the market for a live service game, and there are currently only two successful live service looter shooters - one first, and one third - and that is not a good thing. It means there is no competition in the space. It means that no one who plays them has the luxury of nitpicking mechanics or finding games that might have a different setting or a different twist on the formula. That sucks.

(It is also a fact that Anthem did nothing that Destiny didn't shamelessly get away with.)

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

On 3/18/2023 at 5:00 PM, vanguard333 said:

I imagine the vast majority of players would consider the game unplayable, especially the ones that cry "Git gud" at the sight of any criticism of the series, despite the fact that blocking and parrying are options that exist and are supposed to be viable.

My Fire-Emblem-Player-In-Christ, here´s a vid of someone beating ER while being over 100% Equip Load, doing two things and that´s blocking and poking.

despite the fact that blocking and parrying are options that exist and are supposed to be viable. 

You do realise that, though I wasn´t still am not am part of the souls community, that shields are considered op, exactly because you can block a ton of damage, potentially even have enemies recoil of of them? Hell, I think you can block all of Malenias Waterfowl Dance, the single biggest fuck you move FS has ever made.

The reason dodging is better is because it costs less stamina and you avoid whatevre miniscule amount of elemental damage/status the boss builds up.

The answer is: basically all of them. Name one boss fight in DS3 where the boss fight doesn't revolve around memorizing the attack patterns and pressing dodge-roll at the right time.

Am i gonna say it? Ofc Imma say it: Ancient Wyvern. 

Mhm, not that I´m gonna try it, but I´d wager High Lord Wolnir, Deacons of the Deep, Grystal Sage can be beaten without rolling, much less needing to give a fuck about their attacks. Curse-Rotted Greatwood too, if we allow facetanking.

Iudex Gundyrs whole boss fight is parriable, Yhorm can prolly get destroyed by Stormruler without ever needing to dodge, Vordt if you stay below him in phase 1, behind his ass in phase 2.

On 3/18/2023 at 2:15 PM, vanguard333 said:

In the case of Monster Hunter, there is far more than exploiting monster weakpoints. There are a ton of nuances and different mechanics that can provide an advantage, and a number of ways to gain an advantage through utilizing the area and situation; this is especially true in the newest game: Monster Hunter Rise, thanks to the introduction of endemic life and wyvern riding.

For one thing: preparation is important. There are a ton of items the player can bring with them including traps, poisoned meat, flash bombs, sonic bombs, potions, etc., to gain an advantage, but not all of them will be useful against the specific monster, and the player must store them in the same item pouch in which items obtained during the hunt are stored, meaning the player has to decide which specific items they might need the most.

Not only that, but each monster has something about them that the player can exploit to gain an advantage; all of which are contextualized and are intuitive if the player thinks about the situation. Here's a list of examples off the top of my head:

Sounds like prepping to take advantage of a monsters weakpoints, ngl.

Hell, there´s been memes about ER players spending minutes buffing themselves, meanwhile the host has already beaten the boss. Or died, more likely. 

Soul o´ Cinder no prep and with prep:

Spoiler

Oh yeah, i miss that line about blocning and parrying not viable. @vanguard333

Theres a big saying in souls community that only become irrelevant since ER: Shield is your best friend, sleep with ut, dont let it go, your character should marry it. Something along those line

If you dont get it, blocking is big very very viable option of playing. Dodgetanking only becone the cool thing since so many youtuber high-human playing game naked and dodging everythinf , clearing the game with no hit.

Regular human should just ignore that playstyle

Before that? Facetabking hit is what majority of people who play DS does. Even more if they are average player. If you cant properly block then your shield not big enough. Dont shy away from big shield if you hate dodging. Encumbered be damned. Because you lose little stamina from blocking with big shield

-----------

Also you should see Monhun world. Dunno about rise since i somehow dont like it

AT Velkhana, Safi jiva, Alatreon, Fatalis, those monster are what you can call bosses to compare with DS bosses. Not those monster like rathalos

None of that prepping will do shit. Traps and other tools only work for a fraction of time, some immune even. There are even Unblockable attack. Dodge tanking are the best method to survive even. Didnt memorize its attack lattern? One shotted. Yes one shotted. Just like playing souls game.

So monhun series also guilty of that.

Edit: I would recommend playing from the first Dark souls. You'll feel more at home if you dont like dodge.

Edited by joevar

Oh boy, I've got some.

• FFVII is not a good game. There is far too much nostalgia surrounding it and when you play it, it becomes apparent. I'm not talking about the aging; the game came out 25 years ago and shouldn't be punished for that. The issue is that the vast majority of major characters lack a real personality and the game is simply boring at a lot of different points. It shouldn't even be ranked in Final Fantasy's top 5 games of the series.
  • Baten Kaitos Origins is the best JRPG to exist on the Nintendo Gamecube.
  • Assassin's Creed has gotten worse over the years.

6 hours ago, Phinius Dolphinius III said:

Oh boy, I've got some.

• FFVII is not a good game. There is far too much nostalgia surrounding it and when you play it, it becomes apparent. I'm not talking about the aging; the game came out 25 years ago and shouldn't be punished for that. The issue is that the vast majority of major characters lack a real personality and the game is simply boring at a lot of different points. It shouldn't even be ranked in Final Fantasy's top 5 games of the series.

This is an unpopular opinion thread so this is definitely a fitting opinion. But I just wanted to say, as someone who holds NO nostalgia for FFVII and didn't play it until it was downloaded on the PS3, I fell in love with the characters and their personalities.

• 4 weeks later...

Gonna add some of my own opinions here

• Mechanics like Persona's social link system are dumb and should have never have gotten past the concept stage, it should be replaced with a system where I can pair certain characters together and get more characterization out of them, it shouldn't only be the MC
  • Sonic was never good and I never understood the appeal, Mario was never good either (The Galaxy games are the only exception)
  • Games purely based on it's difficulty aren't good games 
  • Games with time limits should have a mode where the time limit is excluded, mainly speaking of games like Dead Rising