New Trailer

CompteSecours

Something that just got pointed out to me that I can't believe I didn't notice: Alear is supposed to be a divine dragon, yet they don't have pointy ears. Their mother's ears are hidden by her hair, and what appears to be the humanoid form of the Fell Dragon has massive pointed ears, but Alear's ears are plainly visible and completely round like a human character's ears.

Edited by vanguard333

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Something that just got pointed out to me that I can't believe I didn't notice: Alear is supposed to be a divine dragon, yet they don't have pointy ears. Their mother's ears are hidden by her hair, and what appears to be the humanoid form of the Fell Dragon has massive pointed ears, but Alear's ears are plainly visible and completely round like a human character's ears.

I almost want to say that it's because they're do different species of dragon gods and that the Fell Dragon defaults to an sinister form while Alear probably has some human blood in him.

57 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Myrrh doesn’t have pointed ears either so it’s not always a trait for dragons

4 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

We see the mother's ears decently well during the pinky promise. They seem normal.

image.png.7a7c1655e1aa02bc0c098a8c0d17dc78.png

Edit : Image was too big.

Although everyone, I know Alear has dragon weakness and all, but... this may be misdirection. Thus far there's very, very little that's... dragon-y about them, and we've now seen quite a lot.

Edited by Cysx

9 hours ago, Azz said:

I watched the JPN trailer and I'm pretty sure red-haired bro from brodius introduced himself as Dimante (?) which we of course didn't know before. Nice to have a name for him

6 hours ago, Mysterique Sign said:

The Spanish trailer has subtitles
The Fell Dragon is Sombron and the other three countries are Brodia, Elusia, and Solm

Thank you both!

4 hours ago, Armchair General said:

I almost want to say that it's because they're do different species of dragon gods and that the Fell Dragon defaults to an sinister form while Alear probably has some human blood in him.

Yeah, I'm in the half-dragon camp as well.

56 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Although everyone, I know Alear has dragon weakness and all, but... this may be misdirection. Thus far there's very, very little that's... dragon-y about them, and we've now seen quite a lot.

Perhaps, but it'd be weird to specify Alear as a dragon unit without actually giving them any dragon-y perks. On the other hand though, it could just denote that they have a unique movement type and the dragon symbol is just a quirk of the new class labelling structure. I'm hoping the former is the case though, especially if the Falchion weapons are equippable by playable units.

Also for those who aren't aware: @VincentASM posted his analysis! Thank you, Vincent! https://serenesforest.net/2022/11/16/fire-emblem-engage-the-divine-dragon-awakens-analysis/

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

Perhaps, but it'd be weird to specify Alear as a dragon unit without actually giving them any dragon-y perks. On the other hand though, it could just denote that they have a unique movement type and the dragon symbol is just a quirk of the new class labelling structure. I'm hoping the former is the case though, especially if the Falchion weapons are equippable by playable units.

Could be a Superman kinda deal, aka they believe that's what they are and act and react accordingly. Idk I'm just spitballing. Mostly there's just... a lot to Alear currently. They already have two alternate forms (fused with Marth with shades of blue on their red strands, and then what we just got at the end). They have a personal weapon (edit : with two forms to boot). They can summon emblems. They have a strong partnership with Emblem Marth. A dragon form on top of all that... Let's say I've had my doubts, and this trailer didn't help.

Edited by Cysx

54 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Perhaps, but it'd be weird to specify Alear as a dragon unit without actually giving them any dragon-y perks

Fates did the same thing with Corrin and their children, IIRC. But I'm not sure if relclassing actually frees them of their weakness against Wyrmslayers, though.

As with Alear, it might be foreshadowing an promoted class that allows them to turn into an ordinary-sized dragon under plot-related circumstances.

By the way, we kinda have a music problem on our hands. This trailer introduced almost no new themes and didn't really re-use great/fitting ones to begin with. I think this might contribute to the general lack of enthusiasm. Hopefully the music's good in the end.

4 hours ago, Cysx said:

By the way, we kinda have a music problem on our hands. This trailer introduced almost no new themes and didn't really re-use great/fitting ones to begin with. I think this might contribute to the general lack of enthusiasm. Hopefully the music's good in the end.

Probably not to spoil everything 

15 hours ago, zuibangde said:

I have a feeling that they’re not villains and are playable characters.

Throughout the trailer we see multiple people being against us and we can safely assume that that the malig knight and pink haired jester will be playable characters since they’re featured with other playable characters on the box art/opening montage.

I agree that those are very likely going to be playable characters (plus the two retainers of the jester girl).

These ones though?

https://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/fe-engage-november-char-027.jpg

I'd be utterly shocked if the two on the left joins your party. They are near-Jedah level of evil-looking. They'd easily win the "most surprising Fire Emblem ally of all time" as far as I'm concerned. I wish they'd be playable, but I think the odds of that happening is close to 0%.

On the other hand, the guy on the right is likely playable (or a Camus). He doesn't have a shread of evil around him and he clearly doesn't fit along with other three.

6 minutes ago, Ayra said:

I'd be utterly shocked if the two on the left joins your party. They are near-Jedah level of evil-looking. They'd easily win the "most surprising Fire Emblem ally of all time" as far as I'm concerned. I wish they'd be playable, but I think the odds of that happening is close to 0%.

I would be really disappointed if they made the clearly Aversa inspired character not playable but it would surprise me. The far left guy kinda looks like the really grey skinned guy we see in the June leaks with the support levels. Might have been his Beta.

Edited by ciphertul

6 hours ago, Cysx said:

I kind of disagree with you on this, on account of the October trailer having  an variation of the FE main theme and this one is playing an track that wouldn't be too far out of place from the Nohrian themes.

31 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

I kind of disagree with you on this, on account of the October trailer having  an variation of the FE main theme and this one is playing an track that wouldn't be too far out of place from the Nohrian themes.

The FE variation is in this one too. And maybe I'm bothered with the other theme because it's been used in most twitter gameplay segments we've had(it's the earlygame map theme, clearly). It's not bad, just very... familiar, at this point.

1 hour ago, Ayra said:

I agree that those are very likely going to be playable characters (plus the two retainers of the jester girl).

These ones though?

https://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/fe-engage-november-char-027.jpg

On the other hand, the guy on the right is likely playable (or a Camus). He doesn't have a shread of evil around him and he clearly doesn't fit along with other three.

I want to agree with you, but pseudo-horn-lady looks a lot like Aversa, and this game is already taking a lot of notes from Awakening

For the trailer:

As someone who has never played Heroes, the aesthetic of this game is more than a little bewildering. It's hard to get excited about the story when so much of it hinges on talking about how cool and essential characters from other games are

19 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Lord of the Rings got away with 20 because the rings were all meant to be given to different people. That could also be the case here; the rings are not meant to be worn by the same person; they're each meant to be worn by a different person. I'm certain that will be the case in the gameplay for balancing purposes, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's also the case in the story.

I don't know how to feel either. On the one hand, blue = player-controlled units and red = enemy units is a staple of FE, so having it appear in-story makes sense for a game like Engage. On the other hand, as I am a redhead, I find the idea of characters turning into redheads when corrupted by some form of evil magic to be a bit uncomfortable. I'm sure that wasn't intentional on IS's part, but it still feels weird.

Come to think of it, the story really seems to be taking cues from Lord of the Rings, which also took cues from old mythology. The whole "rings can be corrupted" subplot seems to indicate that's where the plot lore is going.

I wonder if there's going to be a "ring to rule them all" in Engage...

3 minutes ago, DaveCozy said:

Come to think of it, the story really seems to be taking cues from Lord of the Rings, which also took cues from old mythology. The whole "rings can be corrupted" subplot seems to indicate that's where the plot lore is going.

Naga ring anyone?

Reminds me a bit of SaGa Frontier, as well, one of the scenarios in that game follows a monster collecting all set of legendary rings to save his homeland from destruction. 

Spoiler

It...doesn't work out very well.

Can't wait to see if Lumiere's death will leave me as cold as any of the other parent deaths in the series.

None of these scenes really hit the mark even though they try so hard with the sad music. Mikoto's death was especially laughable. At least try to make me care for these characters before you kill them of, IntSys.

15 hours ago, Chloé Waifu Supremacy said:

Myrrh doesn’t have pointed ears either so it’s not always a trait for dragons

I know it isn't always a trait for dragons, but it is usually the case, and we see that what appears to be the Fell Dragon's humanoid form has pointed ears.

16 hours ago, Armchair General said:

I almost want to say that it's because they're two different species of dragon gods and that the Fell Dragon defaults to a sinister form while Alear probably has some human blood in him.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that Alear is part-human. We saw that their mother is a dragon, so it would be interesting if their father was human.

12 hours ago, Cysx said:

We see the mother's ears decently well during the pinky promise. They seem normal.

image.png.7a7c1655e1aa02bc0c098a8c0d17dc78.png

Edit : Image was too big.

Huh; I watched through the trailer and didn't see her ears at all. Good job noticing that. So, her ears are normal as well. I wonder if that is an indicator of something; maybe both of them have human ancestry or something like that.

I hope it isn't a misdirection; Alear is referred to as a divine dragon multiple times, and if it is a misdirection, this will be the second time IS promises a dragon protagonist and fails to do anything with that concept.

2 hours ago, DaveCozy said:

The thing is that the rings in LotR aren't corrupted; they were always intended to be evil when Sauron forged them. The One Ring in particular has to be destroyed in order to defeat Sauron without someone becoming his replacement.

The rings in this game, meanwhile, were made for a noble purpose according to the trailers. If anything, it seems to be taking cues from Breath of the Wild: a long time ago, a tool of great power was created to help defeat an ancient evil. This time around, however, the ancient evil now knows how to corrupt said tool and use it against the heroes.

So this Fell Dragon, "Sombron" is suddenly starting to come back again after 1000 years, the same time Alear has been sleeping apparently.

If I recall correctly; isn't that the same amount of time as Grima from Awakening? They also come back after 1000 years or so. I know this fell dragon is different, but is there like a family of them? Is that where they're going with this story?

Just find the similarities peculiar.

49 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

The rings in this game, meanwhile, were made for a noble purpose according to the trailers. If anything, it seems to be taking cues from Breath of the Wild: a long time ago, a tool of great power was created to help defeat an ancient evil. This time around, however, the ancient evil now knows how to corrupt said tool and use it against the heroes.

I'm wondering how much truth we're being told too. Wouldn't be the first time the past was rewritten (Rhea got away with it in 3H). But for now I guess all we can do is trust that they were created with the intent of good, and are now being misused (which is also reasonable).

4 hours ago, Ziegenpeter said:

Can't wait to see if Lumiere's death will leave me as cold as any of the other parent deaths in the series.

None of these scenes really hit the mark even though they try so hard with the sad music. Mikoto's death was especially laughable. At least try to make me care for these characters before you kill them of, IntSys.

Mikoto's death was outright ridiculous. Debuts after Chapter 4's map ends and dies before the next map begins. Can't believe any of Fates writers thought that was a good idea.

Is it really that hard to write more characters like Greil and Jeralt? At least you got multiple chapters of interaction to learn about them before they kicked the bucket.

Some seem to think we will get 2 royal per kingdom. Alfred and Celine, Diamanté and Alcryst then the dancer girl and Claude 2.0. Elusia is the odd one out right now but if this holds true then I’m gonna guess Abby and the Clown girl will be royals we get. Abby seems like she will be major anyways and the Clown girl seems to have retainers that look very much not like enemies. The clown is also featured on the deluxe poster.

Edited by ciphertul