New Heroes: Rearmed Ganglot & More

Fire Emblem Fan

And the usual translation notes:

The name of the banner, "New Heroes: Rearmed Ganglot & More", is "特別召喚 新英雄&開花英雄& 魔器ガングレト" (tokubetsu shōkan: shin eiyū & kaika eiyū & maki gangureto), "Special Summon: New Heroes & Blooming Hero & Arcane Weapon Ganglot". The "特別召喚" (tokubetsu shōkan), "special summon", label that appeared in the Ascended Eir banner name is back, but only in the Japanese name of the banner. As usual, "開花" (kaika), "blooming", is the name of Ascended Heroes, and "魔器" (maki), "magic weapon", is the name of Rearmed Heroes.

Ganglot's epithet, "Death Anew", is "新たな死神" (arata na shinigami), "New God of Death". "死神" (shinigami), literally "god of death", can also be translated as "Grim Reaper".

Arcane Downfall is "魔器・絶死ヘル" (maki: zesshi heru), "Arcane Weapon: Absolute Death, Hel". Other than the prefix that is common to all Arcane weapons, Arcane Downfall's name follows the same naming pattern as all of the Heroes Ascended Heroes' weapons. Compare with Nifl's Bite, which is "絶氷ニフル" (zehhyō nifuru), "Absolute Ice, Nifl"; Flame of Muspell, which is "絶炎ムスペル" (zetsuen musuperu), "Absolute Flame, Muspell"; and Ymir, Everliving, which is "永生ユーミル" (eisei yūmiru), "Eternal Life, Ymir".

Quick Riposte is "切り返し" (kirikaeshi), "Counterattack". "切り返し" (kirikaeshi) literally translates as "returning a cutting strike", i.e. responding to an attack with an attack of one's own.

Hardin's epithet, "The Coyote", is "草原の狼" (sōgen no ōkami), "Wolf of the Plains".

Coyote's Lance is "草原の狼の白槍" (sōgen no ōkami no hakusō), "White Lance of the Wolf of the Plains".

A/S Near Trace is "攻撃速さの近影" (kōgeki hayasa no kin'ei), "Atk/Spd Close Trace". As usual, "影" (ei), usually "shadow" or "image", here means "trace" as in "indications that someone was here, even though they no longer are", referring to a unit with Canto being able to leave after acting.

Nyna's epithet, "The Last Princess", is "ラストプリンセス" (rasuto purinsesu), "The Last Princess". For whatever reason, this is transliterated English.

Respite is "サンクチュアリ" (sankuchuari), "Sanctuary".

Tiki's epithet, "Awakened Blood", is "ゆらめく神竜の血" (yurameku shinryū no chi), "Flickering Divine Dragon Blood".

Awoken Breath is "目覚めし竜のブレス" (mezameshi ryū no buresu), "Awakened Dragon's Breath".

Spd/Res Finish is "速さ魔防の秘奥" (hayasa mabō no hiō), "Spd/Res Secret". As usual, "秘奥" (hiō), "secret", is likely a reference to "秘奥義" (hiōgi), literally "secret secret technique", which is commonly used in video games for the strongest special attacks (e.g. Mystic Artes in Tales games). Compare with "奥義" (ōgi), "secret technique", which is the word for Special skills in Heroes, hence why Finish skills have effects relating to Special activation.

Spd/Res Bulwark is "速さ魔防の防壁" (hayasa mabō no bōheki), "Spd/Res Bulwark".

All Together! is "ずっとみんなと一緒" (zutto minna to issho), "Together With Everyone Forever". Who's going to tell her.

Elice's epithet, "Altean Princess", is "アリティアの王女" (aritia no ōjo), "Princess of Altea".

Matthis's epithet, "Brother to Lena", is "シスターレナの兄" (shisutā rena no ani), "Older Brother of Sister Lena". "シスター" (shisutā), "sister", refers to the clerical "sister", here used as a title, and is also the name of the Cleric class in the main series.

Vulture Lance is "禿鷹の槍" (hagetaka no yari), "Vulture Lance". It still amuses me that the word for "vulture" in Japanese literally translates as "bald hawk".

Embla's epithet, "God of Closure", is "閉神" (heishin), "Closing God".

Enclosing Claw is "絶闇の翼爪" (zetsuan no yokusō), "Wings and Claws of Absolute Darkness". Compare with Illuminating Horn, "絶光の角" (zekkō no tsuno), "Horns of Absolute Light".

On 11/16/2022 at 10:40 PM, Lemmy said:

Doesn't her weapon make that impossible?

Arcane weapons only prevent the use of other exclusive skills if the unit received the weapon through inheritance.

Edited by Ice Dragon

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Hardin's epithet, "The Coyote", is "草原の狼" (sōgen no ōkami), "Wolf of the Plains".

Coyote's Lance is "草原の狼の白槍" (sōgen no ōkami no hakusō), "White Lance of the Wolf of the Plains".

Wait, is the whole Coyote thing a complete localization thing? Is he always associated with Wolves in Japanese? I'm assuming so based on these names, but, like...why? Did they think people would be confused by Hardin's moniker being "wolf" and there actually being a character named "Wolf"? That would seem the most logical reason (I assume Wolf's name in Japanese is the English word Wolf and not Okami, so it wouldn't be an issue in the original script), but you'd be better off just changing Wolf's name to Lupin or something then instead of just substituting a different animal for Hardin to be named after. What if they give him Wolf armour or something? It'll look totally awkward if they called it Coyote armour. There's also an implication in the story now that's probably flown over the head of the entire English audience, in that Wolf might literally have been named after Hardin, as he was rescued from slavery by Hardin and might have not even had an original name or discarded his slave name in favour of Hardin's motif.

EDIT: I just looked up what a Coyote actually looks like. I thought they were more dog like in appearance, but they do look genuinely like miniature wolves. So I guess it'll never really be an issue in any visual capacity in the future. But I still think it's a bit of a bad localisation to just change the animal completely.

16 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Matthis's epithet, "Brother to Lena", is "シスターレナの兄" (shisutā rena no ani), "Older Brother of Sister Lena". "シスター" (shisutā), "sister", refers to the clerical "sister", here used as a title, and is also the name of the Cleric class in the main series.

That's actually a kind of funny play on words and I'd preferred they'd kept it in English. Character titles that are basically just a description of who they are in relation to another character are the most boring titles out there imo. I mean, it'd still be just that if they kept the sister bit, but then you'd have a bit of a joke there too. And it's a case where it's a pun that actually works much better in English than in Japanese.

Edited by Jotari

Eh. Banner feels pretty weak. Hardin is another Lance cav, Nyna is the demote (despite being a highly-anticipated character among Archinea fans, it seems), and we get another Young Tiki (who has a scarf as her main ascended icon for some reason?) That said, I am pulling for sure. Really looking forward to getting Ganglot! =D (That's all, though.) Oh, and Elice is a thing. Really glad she's in the game as an individual unit! I think she's a fairly easy character to overlook in her home game(s), even though Merric and Marth talk about her sometimes. But ouch, being added into the 3-4* pool... Kind of surprised the easy summon bait is getting demoted so hard. I get not wanting to give us another Marth or Camus, but having Young Tiki be the ascended here (without even looking like her mom -- seriously, this was actually the perfect way to introduce Naga!Tiki: using her post-story DLC form from Future Past, since it is actually her ascension but oh well) feels like slipping and falling. Her design is even more or less the same.

Eh, all I want is Ganglot anyway.

Edit: Just saw that Matthis is in. Heck yeah! Okay, happy to pick him up! He's been missing from his friends and sister for long enough.

Edited by Mercakete

52 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Wait, is the whole Coyote thing a complete localization thing? Is he always associated with Wolves in Japanese? I'm assuming so based on these names, but, like...why? Did they think people would be confused by Hardin's moniker being "wolf" and there actually being a character named "Wolf"? That would seem the most logical reason (I assume Wolf's name in Japanese is the English word Wolf and not Okami, so it wouldn't be an issue in the original script), but you'd be better off just changing Wolf's name to Lupin or something then instead of just substituting a different animal for Hardin to be named after. What if they give him Wolf armour or something in some future game or something? It'll look totally awkward if they called it Coyote armour. There's also an implication in the story now that's probably flown over the head of the entire English audience, in that Wolf might literally have been named after Hardin, as he was rescued from slavery by Hardin and might have not even had an original name or discarded his slave name in favour of Hardin's motif.

"Prairie wolf" is a historical name for the coyote, and it matches the Japanese epithet, as "草原" (sōgen) literally translates as "grassy plain" and is also used to refer to the prairies of North America and the steppes of central Asia, so "Prairie Wolf" is also a valid translation of Hardin's epithet.

The "Coyote" localization is sufficiently accurate and is concise, but it does come at the cost of losing the wolf theme surrounding the Coyote's Men, as their names in Japanese appear to all reference wolves (other than Roshea, though I'm sure there's something obscure there, too).

And yes, Wolf's name is "ウルフ" (urufu), which is just English "wolf" transliterated into Japanese.

8 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Great to see Hardin and Nyna , but did they seriously call their banner “ganglot and more?”

Yes. That's how banners containing special highlighted characters (Mythic Heroes, Ascended Heroes, Rearmed Heroes, etc.) have been named for ages.

Edited by Ice Dragon

22 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

t having Young Tiki be the ascended here (without even looking like her mom -- seriously, this was actually the perfect way to introduce Naga!Tiki: using her post-story DLC form from Future Past, since it is actually her ascension but oh well) feels like slipping and falling.

That sounds more like what last month's banner would have been better as, since Ascended Naga Tiki is very much an Awakening thing. Course they're giving us Brave Adult Tiki in the coming future so I can see why they didn't go that way. But you know who would have actually been really nice here if it had to be a dragon? Actual Naga herself. Because, let's face it, Naga was an underwhelming unit for her status in the series even when she first came out and is in need of an update of some sort. Tiki already has a bunch of alts but Naga had zero until she got a Halloween one last month.

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

"Prairie wolf" is a historical name for the coyote, and it matches the Japanese epithet, as "草原" (sōgen) literally translates as "grassy plain" and is also used to refer to the prairies of North America and the steppes of central Asia, so "Prairie Wolf" is also a valid translation of Hardin's epithet.

The "Coyote" localization is sufficiently accurate and is concise, but it does come at the cost of losing the wolf theme surrounding the Coyote's Men, as their names in Japanese appear to all reference wolves (other than Roshea, though I'm sure there's something obscure there, too).

Yes. That's how banners containing special highlighted characters (Mythic Heroes, Ascended Heroes, Rearmed Heroes, etc.) have been named for ages.

Yeah, I guess if you think of it as prairie wolves then it makes a bit more sense, but coyote and wolves still seem segmented as two different animals in my mind. Though as I said, I didn't really know what a coyote looked like until I just googled it, thinking of them as more like wild dogs, so it might just be a lack of cultural exposure to them on my part. Does make me wonder what the original intention of the writers back in 1990 was. Were they thinking of a big grey wolf stalking the plains or the smaller pack animal.

The Meet the Heroes pages are up, and (to what should be no one’s surprise) Matthis is indeed a Prf-less lance cav. Specifically, he appears to have Vulture Lance+.

IS really wanted to end the Book VI GHBs with a wet fart, I guess.

7 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

The Meet the Heroes pages are up, and (to what should be no one’s surprise) Matthis is indeed a Prf-less lance cav. Specifically, he appears to have Vulture Lance+.

IS really wanted to end the Book VI GHBs with a wet fart, I guess.

They didn't really have many better options. Like, yeah, I'd be stoked for Jiol or Mannu, but they aren't even popular enough to be on CYL. The only options hey had better than Matthis here would be Arlen, Wendell and Lorenz. Lang, Ymir, Horace, Roger and Samson would all be candidates too...just not super exciting ones. Archanea is kind of at it's dregs (which is also almost half it's cast).

Edited by Jotari

33 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That sounds more like what last month's banner would have been better as, since Ascended Naga Tiki is very much an Awakening thing. Course they're giving us Brave Adult Tiki in the coming future so I can see why they didn't go that way. But you know who would have actually been really nice here if it had to be a dragon? Actual Naga herself. Because, let's face it, Naga was an underwhelming unit for her status in the series even when she first came out and is in need of an update of some sort. Tiki already has a bunch of alts but Naga had zero until she got a Halloween one last month.

I'm not looking at it as an Archanea/Awakening thing or a unit thing. I'm looking at it as "Tiki ascended." So, more of a character arc thing. Makes more sense for her adult form. So, if you're going to have someone empowered by a deity for FE1/3/11/12, it makes more sense for it to be Marth (which is why I mentioned him) or jump to Awakening instead and use Adult Tiki if you're going to use Tiki at all, whether or not it fits with the rest of the banner.

4 hours ago, Humanoid said:

What I like here is that despite the concerns over her weapon not having the auto follow-up, Ganglot has a complete kit not just for her own use, but in terms of convenient inheritance. I definitely didn't feel that way about Lif and Grima, who I felt I would need to feed some premium fodder first before passing their weapons on. Ganglot, just pass the weapon, DC, DS and QR4, done.

Agreed. Ganglot didn't get a Prf skill, but to compensate she got an incredible base kit that's not only great for her but amazing for fodder too, which I don't think you could say of any of the previous Rearmed Heroes. I'm also glad we have an easier way of getting Distance Stance in particular given how many builds I've seen swear by it. And while QR3 has been outdated since the dawn of Fighter skills, it's funny to see it getting an upgrade when IS still considers QR3 a premium skill.

As for the rest of the banner, I feel really bad for Elice fans and I swear: A!Tiki being yet another young alt feels like even more spite from IS' part that they were forced to make an adult Tiki alt for CYL, doubly so since her Prf is just a different take on Brave Tiki's weapon. I hoped (like others here) that having Ikue Ohtani in the booth would encourage them to record more than just that one character's lines, but clearly not. And yes, I know that Y!Tiki makes sense for an FE1/3 banner, but this disqualifies A!Tiki from the same treatment, I think.

Also, the Forging Bonds is called "Life and Death Finale". Is that also what it's called in Japanese, @Ice Dragon? I get wanting to end the story before Book 7, a FB seems a really anti-climactic place to do so. We'd get four cutscenes to tell the story instead of two, but you could just do that with the current TT+ setup too at the cost of the seasonal fluff... so I do see the point.

2 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Also, the Forging Bonds is called "Life and Death Finale". Is that also what it's called in Japanese, @Ice Dragon? I get wanting to end the story before Book 7, a FB seems a really anti-climactic place to do so. We'd get four cutscenes to tell the story instead of two, but you could just do that with the current TT+ setup too at the cost of the seasonal fluff... so I do see the point.

That looks like a copy-paste typo where they pasted in the name of the next Tempest Trials instead of the next Forging Bonds.

The name of the next Tempest Trials is "生と死の王女 結" (sei to shi no ōjo: ketsu), "Queens of Life and Death: Finale".

The name of the next Forging Bonds is "無明の闇にさす光" (mumyō no yami ni sasu hikari), "The Light That Pierces the Darkness" or "The Light That Illuminates the Darkness". "さす" (sasu) appears to be intentionally ambiguous between "刺す" (sasu), "to pierce", and "差す" (sasu), "to shine", likely because it wants to have both meanings simultaneously.

What I'm translating as "darkness" here is "無明の闇" (mumyō no yami), which literally translates as the redundant "darkness without light". "無明" (mumyō), literally "without light", "without clarity", or "without understanding", is also the term in Buddhism "avidya", meaning "ignorance", but I don't think that's the intended meaning here.

35 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

That looks like a copy-paste typo where they pasted in the name of the next Tempest Trials instead of the next Forging Bonds.

That makes more sense, thank you as always Ice!

36 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

What I'm translating as "darkness" here is "無明の闇" (mumyō no yami), which literally translates as the redundant "darkness without light". "無明" (mumyō), literally "without light", "without clarity", or "without understanding", is also the term in Buddhism "avidya", meaning "ignorance", but I don't think that's the intended meaning here.

And that's really interesting! Thanks again!

Isnt Tiki pretty much a "Hey look! I can counter most if not all Duels threats!"? A friend of mine and I were talking about her, and he started to list her abilities...

Red unit to counter Green units like Summer Dimitri, she inflict cooldown-1 on foe before first attack to counter insta specials, she nullifies foe's bonuses so she counters the new cancer called Refined Legendary Eliwood, a lot of speed stacking to avoid getting doubled and maybe be able to Double Brave Seliph, damage reduction against AoE specials so even if you plan to reduce her damage with that it will not reduce by much, reduce damage from first attack too, so then she can heal back the damage taken with her A and B skills.

3 hours ago, Mercakete said:

I'm not looking at it as an Archanea/Awakening thing or a unit thing. I'm looking at it as "Tiki ascended." So, more of a character arc thing. Makes more sense for her adult form. So, if you're going to have someone empowered by a deity for FE1/3/11/12, it makes more sense for it to be Marth (which is why I mentioned him) or jump to Awakening instead and use Adult Tiki if you're going to use Tiki at all, whether or not it fits with the rest of the banner.

You can't use Awakening Tiki on an Archanea banner though. That's what Awakening banners are for.

2 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

As for the rest of the banner, I feel really bad for Elice fans and I swear: A!Tiki being yet another young alt feels like even more spite from IS' part that they were forced to make an adult Tiki alt for CYL, doubly so since her Prf is just a different take on Brave Tiki's weapon. I hoped (like others here) that having Ikue Ohtani in the booth would encourage them to record more than just that one character's lines, but clearly not. And yes, I know that Y!Tiki makes sense for an FE1/3 banner, but this disqualifies A!Tiki from the same treatment, I think.

I don't see young ascended Tiki as doing anything to disqualify an ascended adult Tiki. I don't expect to see ascended adult Tiki anytine soon as we've just had an awakening banner and there are other choices for Awakening units in the few Awakening banners left. So in general adult Tiki ascended is unlikely, but I don't think Young Tiki has actually influenced anything. There's nothing stopping them from making an ascended Shadow Dragon and an ascended Awakening Tiki. They are, by practical metrics, different characters. If you search for Awakening units in your barracks, Young Tiki will not be highlighted. 

Edited by Jotari

I'm surprised Jake hasn't been a candidate for appearing on a banner yet, even if just a demote like Elice.

He'd be perfect for a Forging Bonds as one of like two people with close relations with at least one Anna. It'd be great, he'd be so confused by all the Annas.

3 hours ago, Chloé Waifu Supremacy said:

free fodderwise gonna try to pull 2-3 copies of her!

Yeah, free DC alone is huge, let alone in a package deal with a shiny new Axe and her other Skills! I kinda want to get 2 or 3 myself. I imagine the Book 7 debut banner is likely going to be a really big one too, but after that I really need to start saving Orbs again. I'm dangerously low right now (especially after I just spent a bunch on A!Idunn merges on a spur of the moment thing...)

15 hours ago, Mysterique Sign said:

They really not gonna give my girl Elice her Aum staff?

I definitely think it's most likely IS isn't bringing back the Aum Staff for Elice in Heroes since none of the playable units gets killed in story wise (even Fallen Male Morgan and Fallen Edelgard did mentioned in the Forging Bonds Event that summoned units can't be killed and Fallen Edelgard and Fallen Dimitri tried to kill each that prevented them to die from summoning) and plus that there was an option in the menu that allows revive every units in the battle field by using the Light's Blessings or Orbs (when the player runs out on Light's Blessings).

It's good to see Nyna returned to Fire Emblem Heroes along with original Hardin and Elice are here as well.

Edited by King Marth 64

2 hours ago, Xenomata said:

I'm surprised Jake hasn't been a candidate for appearing on a banner yet, even if just a demote like Elice.

He'd be perfect for a Forging Bonds as one of like two people with close relations with at least one Anna. It'd be great, he'd be so confused by all the Annas.

I'm not. The connection to Anna is the only thing going for him. Without it, he's just another forgettable filler character that Archanea is filled to the brim with.

39 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

I'm not. The connection to Anna is the only thing going for him. Without it, he's just another forgettable filler character that Archanea is filled to the brim with.

That's about all the merit anyone left in Archanea has though. The only characters I can observe having any merit OUTSIDE of that while still being "interesting" are Wendell (Merric's teacher), Arlan (other magic student), Gotoh, and maaaaaybe Samuel, and even he's still reliant on Navarre. And what kind of sad, sad banner would that be, 2 old men, a power-hungry mage, and some Navarre ripoff.

Edited by Xenomata

2 hours ago, Xenomata said:

That's about all the merit anyone left in Archanea has though. The only characters I can observe having any merit OUTSIDE of that while still being "interesting" are Wendell (Merric's teacher), Arlan (other magic student), Gotoh, and maaaaaybe Samuel, and even he's still reliant on Navarre. And what kind of sad, sad banner would that be, 2 old men, a power-hungry mage, and some Navarre ripoff.

I'd say that Lorenz (Not Hellman Gloucester) has enough merit to be worth adding as well. I certainly would've preferred seeing him as the GHB instead of Matthis, but I guess they didn't want to go with Lorenz when the previous GHB (Cervantes) was a lance armor (very likely what Lorenz would be in FEH). I suppose they also don't like making armor GHBs (not Grail armors as whole, just GHB ones) in general too given that Cervantes was just the third one (when the previous two were released in 2017 and 2020).

But yeah, at this point Archanea is pretty much out of characters worth adding (except the ones you named) despite still having like 35 playable characters left. If that doesn't tell anyone all they need to know about Archanea's cast as a whole, then nothing will.

It took long enough for Hardin and Nyna to appear. At least IS had the decency to put them on the same banner, although them not releasing alongside the Wolfguard is still a load of nonsense. It's kind of a shame that Nyna's the demote, especially since she was Linde's magic teacher, but story-wise she wasn't much of a fighter so I can accept it. Hardin looks fun in a cavalry team, but unfortunately aside from Wolf his men aren't good units themselves. Ganglot is blatantly designed to be skill fodder, and Ascended!Tiki looks like yet another extremely powerful dragon that just needs the DC(D) seal to function. I am pretty annoyed that IS felt the need to give Tiki yet another alt when plenty of other Archanea characters could have Ascended instead (Linde, Merric, Minerva, etc), but after Celica I don't really expect anything on that front anymore.

I'm tentatively considering investing in this banner. I don't have so many orbs that I can afford to brush off bad luck, so I might split the difference and only use the ticket circles until I can see what the banners over the next two weeks have to offer.

5 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

I definitely think it's most likely IS isn't bringing back the Aum Staff for Elice in Heroes since none of the playable units gets killed in story wise (even Fallen Male Morgan and Fallen Edelgard did mentioned in the Forging Bonds Event that summoned units can't be killed and Fallen Edelgard and Fallen Dimitri tried to kill each that prevented them to die from summoning) and plus that there was an option in the menu that allows revive every units in the battle field by using the Light's Blessings or Orbs (when the player runs out on Light's Blessings).

There is absolutely no reason that Aum needs to have the exact same effect that it has in the source game, given that literally no other weapon does.

Granting Miracle as a Drive effect or as a start-of-turn effect is already sufficiently on-brand for the weapon, and such an effect is not unlikely since we already have Everliving Domain with the same effect.