Japanese Overview Trailer

Crubat

11 hours ago, Azz said:

The tweet does mention that dragon gets a bonus from all emblems

Oh, that's news to me, thank you again! It makes sense, and as I mentioned before makes team building a bit more relaxed in a weird way - though naturally I'm sure there's going to be a lot of debating around who Alear's best partner is going to be.

11 hours ago, Azz said:

Outside of Alear's dragon, we know of backup (being melee infantry), mystic (being tome units), stealth (being bow and knife units), cavalry, flying and armour battle styles. I wonder how they'll divvy out which emblems give which style bonuses to each.

Thanks for listing these out as well! I wonder if Alear's style will be similar to mystic? Then again, someone in the Twitter thread pointed out that desert maps no longer nerf movement but specific quicksand tiles do. That's a really cool QoL update that means we can have a full nation of desert maps without them all being difficult to go through, but it also makes me wonder what mystic movement types will bring to the table outside of just denoting they can use magic (unless we get magekiller weapons, I suppose). So Alear's style could just be functionally identical to backup instead, just with the extra Engage perks and dragon weakness.

11 hours ago, Azz said:

they could do two emblems for each style but none of the emblems really suit armour or flying styles and only Sigurd would fit cavalry (bar Eirika if you count her promoted class)

Yeah, that's definitely an issue unless the styles are a lot more relaxed than they seem. Since Eliwood isn't in, I think you're onto something there about Eirika possibly being another cavalry unit. She wasn't on horseback in the reveal trailer, but it would make a lot of sense... unless they use more FEH alts of course, which would put a bunch more Emblems on the table.

10 hours ago, Cysx said:

I meant Alear, my bad... although the Lv 20 bond remains interesting, along with the 4 turns duration. Previously we were led to believe it stopped at bond lv 10 I'm pretty sure.
Yes, it is Vajra-Mushti.

I'm glad I could help! As for the Lv 10 Bond limit, I think that's just what we all assumed based on the debut trailer and early screenshots instead of it being stated as fact (though I could be wrong and plans just changed).

10 hours ago, Cysx said:

And yes, we did see a glimpse of Leif. Can't lie, I wouldn't have expected Eirika to show up last, you have my sympathies on that one.

Ah, you saw me feeling sorry for myself about that in the other thread, oops xD While it is weird to have a single Emblem still unrevealed (regardless of who it is), if I think of it as Leif and Micaiah sneaking into the public eye ahead of their official reveal instead of one Emblem being left behind, I feel a lot better. I figure the three of them will get solo Twitter reveals like Celica and Sigurd. And while I think Micaiah will end up with someone important, I don't have high hopes for Eirika (and possibly Leif) getting any significance, so there's still that. At least we saw Byleth and Lyn talking with people who aren't Alear!

10 hours ago, Cysx said:

Also thanks for the kind words, although I really should have checked what other people brought to the table before posting.

No worries! You posted so much, I think it's fine for you to have missed a few things!

7 hours ago, kienquocsi said:

Between Dragon Knight using axe and lance, Griffon Knight using lance and staff, and the suspicious lack of Falcon Knight so far, I have a theory that each type of Pegasus Knight promoted into a different class. Most likely: Axe -> Dragon Knight, Lance -> Griffon Knight, Sword -> Falcon Knight

Ooh, interesting! I'm still curious about the lack of info on whether classes are weapon locked, especially since that may explain what weapon types Emblems can unlock for them (like Alear getting Aymr from Byleth and others getting Failnaught or Rafail Gem).

3 hours ago, Medeus said:

Speaking of new mount classes, Wolf Knight looks very interesting. We haven't had a different mount used for a cavalier type class unless you count the Mechanist from Fates, so I'm looking forward to seeing them in action.

Same here! While I'm not holding onto much hope that we'll get multiple new mount types in Engage itself (unless each nation has its own list of classes a la Hoshido and Nohr), I think this could open the door to more classes in future titles. That could be really fun!

P.S. I wonder if we'll get something today too...

Edited by DefyingFates

People (Actually I should credit properly, Royk brought most of these up on GameFAQs) are starting to bring up that the reused maps we're spotting are suspiciously tied to regalia weapons that the emblems have been seen using.
- The Thracia river is one map before you get the sword of Blagi(slight stretch), which is likely to be Leif's ultimate weapon
- The Sacaean map is the one where you obtain the Murgleis in FE6, which Lyn uses.
- The Shrine of seals is where the Binding blade is housed.
- The Greil's Mercenaries fort would be a decently logical location for Urvan, which Ike is shown using on the Mural
- Fates chapter 6 happens right after Corrin obtains the Yato.

So these could be paralogues tied to the emblems. Maybe.

41 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Ah, you saw me feeling sorry for myself about that in the other thread, oops xD While it is weird to have a single Emblem still unrevealed (regardless of who it is), if I think of it as Leif and Micaiah sneaking into the public eye ahead of their official reveal instead of one Emblem being left behind, I feel a lot better. I figure the three of them will get solo Twitter reveals like Celica and Sigurd. And while I think Micaiah will end up with someone important, I don't have high hopes for Eirika (and possibly Leif) getting any significance, so there's still that. At least we saw Byleth and Lyn talking with people who aren't Alear!

I do wonder who Leif and Eirika(also Micaiah I suppose) could be tied to, for sure. It'd kinda suck for them to be less important than all of the rest, but we do only have one main character plus 8 royals thus far, and 12 emblems...

Edited by Cysx

1 hour ago, Cysx said:

- The Thracia river is one map before you get the sword of Blagi(slight stretch), which is likely to be Leif's ultimate weapon
- The Sacaean map is the one where you obtain the Murgleis in FE6, which Lyn uses.
- The Shrine of seals is where the Binding blade is housed.
- The Greil's Mercenaries fort would be a decently logical location for Urvan, which Ike is shown using on the Mural
- Fates chapter 6 happens right after Corrin obtains the Yato.

Ooh, interesting! So these could either be the maps where we get the Emblems or the ones in which they get upgraded in some way (in the case of Ike getting Urvan)? Neat! I guess Byleth's map will be based on Chapter 4 then! Eirika's would be the retaking of Renais castle and Micaiah... well, you get Thani from a random treasure chest early on IIRC, and you buy the other Light tomes so I can't think of anything special for her. Ditto for Celica, unless she's stealing Alm's sword again. This is pretty fascinating all in all, so thanks again!

1 hour ago, Cysx said:

I do wonder who Leif and Eirika(also Micaiah I suppose) could be tied to, for sure. It'd kinda suck for them to be less important than all of the rest, but we do only have one main character plus 8 royals thus far, and 12 emblems...

So there are three left to be given to randos, yeah. And if I had to pick three Emblems to get the short end of the stick of the twelve I'd probably choose those three too 😕 Man, I feel really bad for Micaiah: she got overshadowed by Ike in her own game, and we have RD!Ike stealing the spotlight from her again here!

But if Veyle is considered a key character, meaning we actually have ten important Emblems, I think Micaiah would get that last slot though. And who knows, Alfred was shown with Sigurd in early footage but was paired with Lucina in the story trailer, so maybe the non-Marth Emblems will be canonically shuffled around? Either way, I feel bad for fans of those three!

(But again, we got Leif and Eirika when we could have gotten Ephraim and arguably Seliph, so that's still worth celebrating.)

1 hour ago, Cysx said:

People (Actually I should credit properly, Royk brought most of these up on GameFAQs)

Thank you for this too!

Some new English names are Rosado (silver-haired girl with "cat ears"), Clanne, Boucheron, Amber (the blond knight engaged with Corrin), Goldmary (brown-haired girl danced by Byleth), Yunaka (red-haired girl with stars), Lapis (Alcryst's pink-haired retainer), Seadall (dancer guy), and Merrin (engaged with Lyn at end).

Also, Corrin is the Emblem of Fates, Byleth is the Emblem of the Academy, and Lyn is the Emblem of Blazing.

2 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Some new English names are Rosado (silver-haired girl with "cat ears"), Clanne, Boucheron, Amber (the blond knight engaged with Corrin), Goldmary (brown-haired girl danced by Byleth), Yunaka (red-haired girl with stars), Lapis (Alcryst's pink-haired retainer), Seadall (dancer guy), and Merrin (engaged with Lyn at end).

Also, Corrin is the Emblem of Fates, Byleth is the Emblem of the Academy, and Lyn is the Emblem of Blazing.

People say Rosado has cat ears, but I prefer the comparisons some have made to Wyvern horns. That seems more intentional.

Ok there's something that has been bugging me

Look like Divine Speed (the skill that let you attack one more time at half damage) is only accessed after engaging. Then how does Alear attacks 3 times at around 1:03?

EDIT: Okay, I think that's the effect of Break Defenses. My guess is that Break Defenses allow units to immediately have another attack with half damage after breaking the enemy.

For example:

Spoiler

Alear attacking 3 times in the trailer at 1:03: The first attacks deals 13 damages and breaks the enemy. Right after that, she has another attack with 6 damages. The last one the double attack with 13 damages. Break Defenses doesn't need engaging to be activated.

image.thumb.png.dd45a362c8c2cc9154527856c1c42f35.png

Vander deals 30 damage, breaks the enemy, then deals 15 damages thanks to Break Defense. The last 15 damages is from Divine Speed

image.thumb.png.8d824bebde980e8870b4318947b914ca.png

Vander does not trigger Break Defenses because he has WTD, thus cannot break the enemy. The last 11 damages is from Divine Speed only

Edited by kienquocsi

13 hours ago, kienquocsi said:

Between Dragon Knight using axe and lance, Griffon Knight using lance and staff, and the suspicious lack of Falcon Knight so far, I have a theory that each type of Pegasus Knight promoted into a different class. Most likely: Axe -> Dragon Knight, Lance -> Griffon Knight, Sword -> Falcon Knight

Griffon gets axe and staffs too, so what would that leave Falcon with? I’m pretty worried it might have gotten cut. Why else would are first Peg promote to Griffon?

1 minute ago, ciphertul said:

Griffon gets axe and staffs too, so what would that leave Falcon with? I’m pretty worried it might have gotten cut. Why else would are first Peg promote to Griffon?

Falcon could use sword and lance, like they have always been until Awakening. And I don't think I've seen Griffon with axe

4 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Ooh, interesting! So these could either be the maps where we get the Emblems or the ones in which they get upgraded in some way (in the case of Ike getting Urvan)? Neat! I guess Byleth's map will be based on Chapter 4 then! Eirika's would be the retaking of Renais castle and Micaiah... well, you get Thani from a random treasure chest early on IIRC, and you buy the other Light tomes so I can't think of anything special for her. Ditto for Celica, unless she's stealing Alm's sword again. This is pretty fascinating all in all, so thanks again!

Maybe for Micaiah it's where we get Rexaura (first floor of the Tower of Guidance), even if it's not strictly speaking a Prf weapon for her? Unless they do use the map where you get Thani instead.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I believe that Corrin's weapons are the Dual Katana and the Wakizashi.

image.png.05dd4391bb071e099e0c844e8be7440f.png

image.png.4a314cd7188891e1ee5f35d771be394a.pngimage.png.fa88d5c082cad390b892aa2b05ba9824.png

The 2 blade weapon looks a lot like dual weapons in Fates. Its shapes is like the Dual Katana or the Dual Naginata, but since the second weapon looks like a sword, I believe the first one is a sword too. The blade part also has that L shape that the Dual Katana has, while the Dual Naginata doesn't.

I'm a bit more uncertain about the Wakizashi, but here are my reasonings: first, it looks like a katana, not a Nohrian sword. Second, the only katanas with string-thingy at the end that I can find are Wakizashi, Axe Splitter and Spirit Katana. Axe Splitter's shape doesn't match, and the Spirit Katana seems as iconic and special as the Wakizashi.

5 hours ago, Azz said:

English version posted by NoA

https://youtu.be/IC3v_Vzp5_s

I guess this is today's info drop then? I suspected we wouldn't get anything because it was an overview trailer, but I'm glad to be wrong!

(Edit: Can you add this to the OP too please, @Crubat?)

4 hours ago, Ziegenpeter said:

Also, Byleth being the "Emblem of the Academy" sounds kinda funny.

Yeah, the original FE16 name change (and his JP Emblem title) left the localizers in a tough spot and they clearly did the best they could, but it still sounds really odd next to the others. On the other hand, that makes it more special in a way because it sounds more mundane... there's also the fact that most other names you could give him (e.g. "Progenitor", "Fell Star (if it's not meant to be an insult)") would either be a better fit for Sothis or be too lengthy to be an Emblem title (like "Emblem of the one chosen by the Progenitor") or something.

Lyn's "Emblem of Blazing" on the other hand just feels plain weird. It's FEH's "World of Blazing" all over again. And seemingly bans Eliwood from being DLC unless he (and thus Hector) have the same Emblem name.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Maybe for Micaiah it's where we get Rexaura (first floor of the Tower of Guidance), even if it's not strictly speaking a Prf weapon for her? Unless they do use the map where you get Thani instead.

I was thinking they may use the endgame chapters for some sort of gauntlet in Engage's own endgame, but that could work! Now that you mention it though, considering we may get some other early game maps, maybe the Thani map for Micaiah isn't so far-fetched after all. Thank you!

46 minutes ago, kienquocsi said:

The 2 blade weapon looks a lot like dual weapons in Fates. Its shapes is like the Dual Katana or the Dual Naginata, but since the second weapon looks like a sword, I believe the first one is a sword too. The blade part also has that L shape that the Dual Katana has, while the Dual Naginata doesn't.

I'm a bit more uncertain about the Wakizashi, but here are my reasonings: first, it looks like a katana, not a Nohrian sword.

Thank you for the deep dive! Even though F!Corrin usually means Nohr, Engage doesn't have a Japan stand-in so her adding Japanese weapons actually makes a lot of sense and would make her weapons quite unique, like Byleth seemingly giving out Relics like candy.

As for the trailer itself, it was great to see the chosen English translations for the character and class/ style names! Just when I thought I understood what they all were though, it turns out Qi fighters have their own style too. Drat. I am eager to see their Engaged forms though: a ring of fists, maybe?

Speaking of class names, Griffons are now Griffins. Neat! I hope Vincent wasn't too deep into his analysis, because I imagine this would make things a lot easier for him. Here you go if you think it will too, @VincentASM!

Edited by DefyingFates

5 hours ago, kienquocsi said:

Ok there's something that has been bugging me

Look like Divine Speed (the skill that let you attack one more time at half damage) is only accessed after engaging. Then how does Alear attacks 3 times at around 1:03?

EDIT: Okay, I think that's the effect of Break Defenses. My guess is that Break Defenses allow units to immediately have another attack with half damage after breaking the enemy.

For example:

Hide contents

Alear attacking 3 times in the trailer at 1:03: The first attacks deals 13 damages and breaks the enemy. Right after that, she has another attack with 6 damages. The last one the double attack with 13 damages. Break Defenses doesn't need engaging to be activated.

image.thumb.png.dd45a362c8c2cc9154527856c1c42f35.png

Vander deals 30 damage, breaks the enemy, then deals 15 damages thanks to Break Defense. The last 15 damages is from Divine Speed

image.thumb.png.8d824bebde980e8870b4318947b914ca.png

Vander does not trigger Break Defenses because he has WTD, thus cannot break the enemy. The last 11 damages is from Divine Speed only

This does match with everything we know, the only weird thing is that Break defenses does not show up at the start of the battle... and also that the number being displayed before the attack has even hit is weird; what if it misses, is the followup skipped?
Perhaps just the chance to trigger a break is enough.
That would also mean Engaged Marth can attack four times if they double and have WTA. Kinda defeats the point of his Engage Attack to an extent assuming there's nothing else to it.
Edit : Also 8 times with brave weapons, which is still not beating Awakening, but if chain attacks do work the way I think they do...

2 hours ago, kienquocsi said:

I believe that Corrin's weapons are the Dual Katana and the Wakizashi.

The Dual Katana did seem familliar(but I couldn't place it). The Wakizashi I'd never have even looked up though.

Edited by Cysx

One thing I forgot to mention is that Merrin seems to be voiced by Christina Vee (with a similar intonation to Genshin's Bennett)? If so, I'm really glad she got another shot at a mainline FE game after she got replaced as Edelgard back in 2018 for breaking NDA.

5 hours ago, Cysx said:

This does match with everything we know, the only weird thing is that Break defenses does not show up at the start of the battle...

It can show up at the exact time the break defenses attack occurs... which is almost always conveniently cut off at every battle footage I know. The one time we see break defenses attack lands (Alear's attack in the Engaging trailer) is when the corner where skills are shown is cut off

5 hours ago, Cysx said:

Kinda defeats the point of his Engage Attack to an extent assuming there's nothing else to it.

I mean, from the start, Marth's Engage Attack is not that good anyways, 30% * 7 = 210%, or 2.1 times; just doubling would deal roughly the same damage. 

Of course it is still useful for critting or finishing the enemies before they can counter attack. 

6 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

One thing I forgot to mention is that Merrin seems to be voiced by Christina Vee (with a similar intonation to Genshin's Bennett)? If so, I'm really glad she got another shot at a mainline FE game after she got replaced as Edelgard back in 2018 for breaking NDA.

She didn't break NDA. She even stated that was not the reason she was recasted.

Also, she still voices characters in Heroes.

It can show up at the exact time the break defenses attack occurs... which is almost always conveniently cut off at every battle footage I know. The one time we see break defenses attack lands (Alear's attack in the Engaging trailer) is when the corner where skills are shown is cut off

Seems so ! And there is a skill activation sound plus a visual effect in that one clip, too. Didn't realize they had cut just enough of the top for it not to appear.

I mean, from the start, Marth's Engage Attack is not that good anyways, 30% * 7 = 210%, or 2.1 times; just doubling would deal roughly the same damage. 

Of course it is still useful for critting or finishing the enemies before they can counter attack. 

It's even worse considering these are usually rounded down, and 30% almost always leaves decimals... That being said, clearly since we don't seem to have anything discouraging us from using it, if it does the job... especially on Alear...

6 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

She didn't break NDA. She even stated that was not the reason she was recasted.

Ah okay, thanks for that!

6 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

Also, she still voices characters in Heroes.

I know, I was just referring to her being given another shot at a big budget title like Engage, but as you said the point was irrelevant in the first place. Thanks again!

2 hours ago, Cysx said:

It's even worse considering these are usually rounded down, and 30% almost always leaves decimals... That being said, clearly since we don't seem to have anything discouraging us from using it, if it does the job... especially on Alear...

I wonder if there's going to be something similar to Fates' Guard Stance in this game, where the number of attacks you do is more important than the damage per hit. For now, it looks like each hit can crit so that could add up to more than just two regular hits, at least? The weird thing is that even if you use Marth with Alear, you get 2.7x damage, but you're already getting 2.5x from his bonus attacks...

So yeah, I think critting will be a big part of Lodestar Rush, as well as Astra Storm and any other "multiple attacks at once" Emblem Skills we get.

5 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

I wonder if there's going to be something similar to Fates' Guard Stance in this game, where the number of attacks you do is more important than the damage per hit. For now, it looks like each hit can crit so that could add up to more than just two regular hits, at least? The weird thing is that even if you use Marth with Alear, you get 2.7x damage, but you're already getting 2.5x from his bonus attacks...

So yeah, I think critting will be a big part of Lodestar Rush, as well as Astra Storm and any other "multiple attacks at once" Emblem Skills we get.

Well... thinking about it backwards, if you don't double nor break, you just get 1.5x the damage. As such ironically, this flashy multi hits attack is potentially better on slowpoke characters

59 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Well... thinking about it backwards, if you don't double nor break, you just get 1.5x the damage. As such ironically, this flashy multi hits attack is potentially better on slowpoke characters

That's a good point! It'd be interesting to see how armor units or others who are "slow but strong" would use multi-hit moves like this. Thanks for pointing that out!

On 11/23/2022 at 11:13 AM, kienquocsi said:

Falcon could use sword and lance, like they have always been until Awakening. And I don't think I've seen Griffon with axe

If you go by English releases (which can be separated into GBA, Tellius and remakes pre-Awakening) anyway.