Why was Sonic merch so uncommon in the early 2000s.

♠Soul♠

When I was a kid, finding Sonic toys, and let alone general merchendise was extremely rare. It wasn't even like Sonic wasn't popular, since he was always just right behind Mario. I was only lucky to find one action figure in 2002 from SA2 (I still have it) and a Sonic & Knuckles plush dolls I found used at a flee market (I think Sonic was a gift from a friend). Anything else, other than the games themselves, it was pretty much non-existent. And apparently, SA launched their own collection of figures, but I never ever saw them at stores.

It wasn't until late 2000s to at least 2010 when Sonic merchendise started feeling waaaaay more common, and you'd easily get anything, from shirts to backpacks. Didn't help my best friend and fellow Sonic fanboy was a huge liar and say things like "I SAW A SONIC TOWEL" or "I SAW THE EGG CARRIER WITH MINI SONIC FIGURES". At least it was fun to believe those things actually existed.

6 hours ago, Original Johan Liebert said:

Maybe it was a regional thing? I don't know if Sonic merch was rare in the states, considering how much time I spend on games I have very little merch...I think...

I lived in the U.S as a kid, and specifically during those years. It was almost non-existent. I found an original SA Big The Cat over here, and it's really strange it'd be at a toystore in Argentina but not the U.S during it's release.

15 hours ago, ♠Soul♠ said:

I lived in the U.S as a kid, and specifically during those years. It was almost non-existent. I found an original SA Big The Cat over here, and it's really strange it'd be at a toystore in Argentina but not the U.S during it's release.

Big the Cat makes me think about Quina from Final Fantasy IX (which I've been playing recently). They're natural enemies.

On 11/27/2022 at 9:52 PM, Original Johan Liebert said:

Have you ever played Freedom Planet?

Freedom Planet looks kinda cringe, but if you were a Sonic fan it probably seemed fun.

On 11/27/2022 at 9:52 PM, Original Johan Liebert said:

The story is kind of cringy (that word makes me cringe a little)

Just as G-d intended.