I think bad teachers make it harder to learn.

♠Soul♠

When I was younger (12, to be exact), I had to take some exams to enter into my high school. So for that, they had me prepare and take tutoring lessons for Math and Language, respectively. I think these lessons were slightly expensive, but apparently the tutors were somewhat renowened, and my friend also went with me. I think I went for a couple of lessons, but ultimately got kicked out because I couldn't "get it" or something, and apparently the teachers told my mother I wouldn't pass the exams at this rate.

So after that, my mother found another teacher for me, and she was just a humble woman that didn't have any formal place or anything. She was just a normal mother that ocassionally tutored kids. She was very nice, and I only went to very few classes and understood everything a lot faster than the other tutors.

Fastforward to the entry exams, and I got 7th place for my results out of many other students. It was kind of surprising for me, because I was never particularly great at school stuff (or so I told myself).

Every student has different learning styles, and every teacher has different teaching styles; some mesh together better than others, but there are also just straight up teachers that can't teach, whether that be due to ineptitude for the material their teaching, poor execution, or just general temperament, which is probably the most likely case. If your tutors were ready to give up on teaching you (lack of patience, probably), then they were never good teachers to begin with.

No Soul, don't you understand, bad teachers make it easier to learn. I can tell  you had bad teachers because a good teacher would have made it obvious to you that they can't teach you anything.

If your tutors were ready to give up on teaching you (lack of patience, probably), then they were never good teachers to begin with.

I'm not trying to pin the blame on Soul here specifically, but there are probably some students who aren't going to learn much. I don't think that any kid who gets an F grade means someone is a bad teacher. I don't think I'm a great teacher for the most part, though (that being said, I don't teach that much, and I didn't go to school for it or anything, but I did a little bit of training at one job).

WAIT SOUL, ARE YOU SAYING THAT A BAD TEACHER INCREASES THE DIFFICULTY OF A TASK SO THAT THE STUDENTS DO MORE WORK AND THE TEACHER LEARNS MORE FROM THEM? GENIUS!

Edited by Original Johan Liebert

16 minutes ago, Original Johan Liebert said:

I'm not trying to pin the blame on Soul here specifically, but there are probably some students who aren't going to learn much. I don't think that any kid who gets an F grade means someone is a bad teacher. I don't think I'm a great teacher for the most part, though (that being said, I don't teach that much, and I didn't go to school for it or anything, but I did a little bit of training at one job).

No, that's definitely true. There are concepts that some people just won't get, and that's fine. Something like science isn't one of my strong suits, for instance, but I do well with other topics like history and writing. It's different for everyone.

but with all these tiktok social media trends, no one is gonna have any attention span left to learn anything

Sounds like a skill issue.

Really though, saying a "bad teacher makes it harder to learn" is almost a tautology, since I'm not sure what other criteria you'd use to deem a teacher "good" or "bad" than their effectiveness at teaching.

2 hours ago, Original Johan Liebert said:

I'm not trying to pin the blame on Soul here specifically, but there are probably some students who aren't going to learn much.

Indeed, and thanks to truancy laws, these students usually end up being a distraction to those who would learn. Not to say indigoasis was some kind of delinquent, I'm talking more about students who never learn anything than the ones who just do better in different subjects.

2 hours ago, indigoasis said:

but with all these tiktok social media trends, no one is gonna have any attention span left to learn anything

Honestly, I think we've been getting more stupid for a long time. The first generation of freedmen were probably smarter than us, even if they knew less.

I'm actually learning about this in psychology: Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences proved that there are many types of intelligences and for some people, a certain teaching method works better than another. It's probably a difference in teaching method and Soul's understanding and intelligence type.  Either that or the teacher was just bad at teaching.

Edited by Alear

15 hours ago, ♠Soul♠ said:

I disrespectfully disagree. They were definitely bad teachers. The nice lady who taught me got me to learn in an instant.

I was specifically trying not to target ur learning when I said that. I am just saying there are probably some kids who won't learn that much from a good teacher. Hell, maybe I am one of them (I mean I'm not really a kid but).

Edited by Original Johan Liebert

3 hours ago, Original Johan Liebert said:

I was specifically trying not to target ur learning when I said that. I am just saying there are probably some kids who won't learn that much from a good teacher. Hell, maybe I am one of them (I mean I'm not really a kid but).

I don't think I am bad at learning, it I managed to learn it really quick and do really well afterwards. I didn't recall taking offense from what you said, though.

2 hours ago, indigoasis said:

I've always wanted to say this in real life.

It's funny because it's actually quite respectful way of saying it. :D

The biggest difference between the two teachers you had is that the first one didn't make an effort to connect with you (I'm not sure how many students were in the class with you) meanwhile you did have a connection with your second teacher. But I don't know any other classroom conditions.

Research shows that the most effective environments for learning are:

Small Groups > Whole Class (20+ students) > Individual.

Of course there are exceptions, and some people mesh in certain circumstances more than others.

• 2 months later...