Fire Emblem: Pyrathi Warlords [Complete]

Jotari

25 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Finally, some pirates with respectable names, like "Pete"! None o' these "Barths" or "Nedatas" scurryin' around akin ta bilge rats.

Bill the Berserker

Leader of the pirates in Pyrathi. After the War of Shadows, he was able take advantage of Pyrathi's chaotic state to unify the pirate and bandit groups on the island and other nearby islands, originally by forming loose confederations which gradually increased in centralized authority. He's a cunning man despite his overwhelming stature, and carefully balances outright robbery with extortion so as to maximize profit. If the waters are too pirate infested, trade stops, and trade is very lucrative when he can "tax" smugglers for protection and assistance in sneaking past the Archaneans and rebels. Something something the price of goods increases with scarcity. His business acumen shows in his signature "buy or steal" analysis plan. If it's most trouble to steal something than to put together to money to buy it, he'll just buy it. The threat that he might steal it often gets him a discount.

Ron the Warrior

One of Bill's men. Ron is Bill's top enforcer and was once leader of a small bandit group that Bill assimilated into his own pirate coalition. He's a little less smart and a little less kind than Bill is, but has taken a shine to their manakete friend. He doesn't understand business much and is usually just there for fighting or looking tough.

Steve the Dracoknight

One of Bill's men. Steve is one of the sharpest guys around, and his mighty beast combines with his acuity to make him an excellent scout. He surveys the movements of ships and enemies and reports back to Bill, his unnatural riding skill allowing him to perform dangerous maneuvers and low-altitude flights that keep him hidden from those he spies on.

Gene the Hero

One of Bill's men. Loyal to a fault but easily made sea-sick, he's the general overseer of land-bound operations. While most of the goods come to Pyrathi over the sea, their distribution and smuggling across the small island still need logistical support, and that's generally Gene's deal. He's technically a contractor.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright. I said I'd get the demo out next week, but I worked over time, ignoring all my more pressing real life commitments, because dang it all if making Fire Emblem games isn't a tonne of fun and I've never experimented with editing the world map before. Here is the download link, consisting of the Prologue and Chapter 1. It's a UPS file for Sacred Stones.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzhp0f9aeh58tw2/PyrathiProject.zip?dl=0

Mallory, Genevieve, Damiain, Columba and Makoto, now named Cleo, are all in the game. I plan on putting Blase in the game in Chapter 3.

I've also created a thief character called Pierre, because I need a thief, but I haven't given him any dialogue yet.

I also plan to have a mage character recruited in Chapter 2.

Between Chapter 2 and 3 I'm going to have Radd and Ceasar, two of the least developed Archanea characters, hired as mercenaries. And since I'm in need of a cleric, I'm going to make it so they've hired one in their mercenary gang. But for a bit of a joke and a bit of continuity, that cleric mercenary will be one of the replacement characters from Shadow Dragon.

I'm going to have a look now at the characters AnonymousSpeed has suggested now and think about how to work them in. But feel free to think of personalities and traits for the thief, mage and cleric I mentioned above. And, of course, try out the game to get a feel for the style and world we'll be working with.

I'll probably release the next update after I've completed chapter 5. I have an interesting idea for skirmishes, but I haven't tried to work it in yet. Since there are multiple factions battling each other, I think it'd be neat if you could encounter enemy factions actually fighting each other in skirmishes. There is a patch to let you fight green units and I think it would be simple enough to implement. This would also make skirmishes more involved, as to get exp from them you'll need to work to kill the enemies faster than they can kill each other.

Edited by Jotari

22 hours ago, Jotari said:

Alright. I said I'd get the demo out next week, but I worked over time, ignoring all my more pressing real life commitments, because dang it all if making Fire Emblem games isn't a tonne of fun and I've never experimented with editing the world map before. Here is the download link, consisting of the Prologue and Chapter 1. It's a UPS file for Sacred Stones.

That was kinda cool. I'm impressed you put it together so fast, even if it's still obviously baking.

22 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'm going to have a look now at the characters AnonymousSpeed has suggested now and think about how to work them in. But feel free to think of personalities and traits for the thief, mage and cleric I mentioned above. And, of course, try out the game to get a feel for the style and world we'll be working with.

Enjoy, though they may conflict with Balon's role a little bit.

I actually do have a priest character lying around you can use.

Balaam

Spoiler

Balaam is basically a prison chaplain. Unfortunately, he's a public servant as well. His smooth, soft, and sardonic voice accompany perpetually tired eyes. He seems to take some twisted pleasure in the hopeless plights of the prisoners he's supposed to minister to. However, circumstances inevitably force him to ally with those same factions.

While not designed for this setting, he can be adapted to it pretty easily, I think. In this case, he'd initially be working for Archanea before he was forced (either during the revolution or after Marth's army arrives) to join the player's party. He's very grumpy about this, but no kinder or more awake. Compared to all other outside characters, he is both the most familiar with and most contemptuous of Pyrathi's native religion.

His defense growth is wacky high, so he actually caps defense in a reasonable number of levels.

Have a mage, too. 'Cause you asked.

Callahan

Spoiler

A mage from Khadein. She was on her way to Pyrathi to study the theurgy of the Salamander Cult, suspecting it could be used to further research into fire magic. Deeply fascinated by ancient civilizations and lost knowledge, she considers the youth of magic in Archanea to be a sign of an inevitable meteoric rise. A bit too optimistic about the future and the potential of "technological" development to smooth over social ills. She regards physical weapons as crude, existing in a transitory state before they are phased out entirely by magic, and daydreams often of the economic applications of various spells. Her supports would be a good way to explore what magic can do outside of its in-game effects.

A mage from Khadein. She was on her way to Pyrathi to study the theurgy of the Salamander Cult when she was recruited. Callahan has a cold demeanor, with very little patience for nonsense. Her tongue is sharp and unforgiving, using few words and using them very harshly. Despite her sternness, she is still a mage of Khadein and has a passion for learning. She's especially fascinated by ancient civilizations and their lost knowledge. This should not be taken for enthusiasm for sharing knowledge with others. While she's joyful when doing personal research or discussing with her betters, Callahan hates being distracted from these things and does not enjoy small talk or explaining "entry-level" material. She's at least not a showoff.

Callahan is optimistic about the potential for magic to improve people's lives, and considers the rapid developments of the past hundred years solid evidence for her hopes. She tends to look down on armor and physical weapons as crude, existing in a transitory state before they are replaced by spells. Her predictions for how magic will obsolete older technologies roughly approximates how gunpowder did much the same in historical reality.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

3 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I have another character:

Reveal hidden contents

Virgin

A thief who looks a lot like Chad from FE6 but with his portrait mirrored.

I hope you like it.

Since I have no personality in mind for the thief character I've already made, I think I'll unironically do this. Or, somewhat ironically do this? One way or the other, I'll probably do this. And for bonus jokes, I'm going to mention that he once had an uncle who was a Bandit in the Teeth.

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Bill the Berserker

Leader of the pirates in Pyrathi. After the War of Shadows, he was able take advantage of Pyrathi's chaotic state to unify the pirate and bandit groups on the island and other nearby islands, originally by forming loose confederations which gradually increased in centralized authority. He's a cunning man despite his overwhelming stature, and carefully balances outright robbery with extortion so as to maximize profit. If the waters are too pirate infested, trade stops, and trade is very lucrative when he can "tax" smugglers for protection and assistance in sneaking past the Archaneans and rebels. Something something the price of goods increases with scarcity. His business acumen shows in his signature "buy or steal" analysis plan. If it's most trouble to steal something than to put together to money to buy it, he'll just buy it. The threat that he might steal it often gets him a discount.

Ron the Warrior

One of Bill's men. Ron is Bill's top enforcer and was once leader of a small bandit group that Bill assimilated into his own pirate coalition. He's a little less smart and a little less kind than Bill is, but has taken a shine to their manakete friend. He doesn't understand business much and is usually just there for fighting or looking tough.

Steve the Dracoknight

One of Bill's men. Steve is one of the sharpest guys around, and his mighty beast combines with his acuity to make him an excellent scout. He surveys the movements of ships and enemies and reports back to Bill, his unnatural riding skill allowing him to perform dangerous maneuvers and low-altitude flights that keep him hidden from those he spies on.

Gene the Hero

One of Bill's men. Loyal to a fault but easily made sea-sick, he's the general overseer of land-bound operations. While most of the goods come to Pyrathi over the sea, their distribution and smuggling across the small island still need logistical support, and that's generally Gene's deal. He's technically a contractor.

Yeah, I've already more or less Balon. And have some idea of what he's going to get up to. The minons can definitely be used. Steve I'll probably put into Chapter 4 as I plan on making that a ship chapter.

26 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

That was kinda cool. I'm impressed you put it together so fast, even if it's still obviously baking.

Enjoy, though they may conflict with Balon's role a little bit.

I actually do have a priest character lying around you can use.

Balaam

Reveal hidden contents

Balaam is basically a prison chaplain. Unfortunately, he's a public servant as well. His smooth, soft, and sardonic voice accompany perpetually tired eyes. He seems to take some twisted pleasure in the hopeless plights of the prisoners he's supposed to minister to. However, circumstances inevitably force him to ally with those same factions.

While not designed for this setting, he can be adapted to it pretty easily, I think. In this case, he'd initially be working for Archanea before he was forced (either during the revolution or after Marth's army arrives) to join the player's party. He's very grumpy about this, but no kinder or more awake. Compared to all other outside characters, he is both the most familiar with and most contemptuous of Pyrathi's native religion.

His defense growth is wacky high, so he actually caps defense in a reasonable number of levels.

Have a mage, too. 'Cause you asked.

Callahan

Reveal hidden contents

A mage from Khadein. She was on her way to Pyrathi to study the theurgy of the Salamander Cult, suspecting it could be used to further research into fire magic. Deeply fascinated by ancient civilizations and lost knowledge, she considers the youth of magic in Archanea to be a sign of an inevitable meteoric rise. A bit too optimistic about the future and the potential of "technological" development to smooth over social ills. She regards physical weapons as crude, existing in a transitory state before they are phased out entirely by magic, and daydreams often of the economic applications of various spells. Her supports would be a good way to explore what magic can do outside of its in-game effects.

I don't know if I can fit them in immediately, but I'll need more than one mage and healer, so it's all possible.

By the way, on the Generic-Shadow-Dragon-Replacement-Character-Cleric point I mentioned before, Radd's ending in both games says he married someone, so I'm going to make that Cleric his wife. Radd's so minor an Archanean character the only woman he could get was someone even more generic than him XD

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Since I have no personality in mind for the thief character I've already made, I think I'll unironically do this. Or, somewhat ironically do this? One way or the other, I'll probably do this. And for bonus jokes, I'm going to mention that he once had an uncle who was a Bandit in the Teeth.

Excellent.

If you wanted to be more subtle, you could change the name to Virgo. Subtlety is not a virtue in this instance.

Though it does remind me that, sadly, the star shards aren't around anymore. Unless there's some Salamander-themed equivalent to them.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, I've already more or less Balon. And have some idea of what he's going to get up to. The minons can definitely be used. Steve I'll probably put into Chapter 4 as I plan on making that a ship chapter.

Since the original idea was that the bandits were running their criminal empire like a corporation and were actually the most subtle actors at play, I must request you change the character's name to Stephen to avoid confusion with the original vision. I hadn't played the patch until after after making the suggestion (obviously, since you hadn't posted it yet) and can tell that Balon already has the bandit king niche carved out for him. Should be fun.

Since Chapter 4 is generally considered early for a promoted boss, are you not going with the Pegasus -> Wyvern promotion line?

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

By the way, on the Generic-Shadow-Dragon-Replacement-Character-Cleric point I mentioned before, Radd's ending in both games says he married someone, so I'm going to make that Cleric his wife. Radd's so minor an Archanean character the only woman he could get was someone even more generic than him XD

Hey man, don't be down on our boy Radd Quetz.

Oh.

Oh my.

Jotari, listen.

Radd's wife, uh...Tubular, or Fabb, or whatever we call her, listen to this. She should think that Radd, whether by her own rose-tinted cornea or her husband's uncalled bluff, is as cool as Radd Quetz.

And by the end of it, everyone realizes that what is truly rad is to be a supportive and loving husband to his beautiful wife.

42 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Since Chapter 4 is generally considered early for a promoted boss, are you not going with the Pegasus -> Wyvern promotion line?

I didn't say he would be fought in Chapter 4

42 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Hey man, don't be down on our boy Radd Quetz.

Oh.

Oh my.

Jotari, listen.

Radd's wife, uh...Tubular, or Fabb, or whatever we call her, listen to this. She should think that Radd, whether by her own rose-tinted cornea or her husband's uncalled bluff, is as cool as Radd Quetz.

And by the end of it, everyone realizes that what is truly rad is to be a supportive and loving husband to his beautiful wife.

I don't actually know what this Radd Quetz is. Is that a hack?

On 11/30/2022 at 7:57 PM, Jotari said:

Holy crap, you got something out already? That's pretty damned crazy! If it's fine, I'll just drop another character here, that my sister asked me to drop in. I... Forgot the character's name, and will probably edit it in later, but let's get it.

Rostoe

Rostoe is mage from... Er, well that isn't actually really relevant to his story. At first glance, he appears to be one of those 'shy' characters, you know, the Bernadettas, the nervous ones. However, rather surprisingly, when he finds someone who actually reaches out to her and makes her feel comfortable, she becomes an extremely energetic non-stop chatterbox who talks at about a mile a minute. One of his main hobbies is cooking, but his concoctions end up mixing ingredients that feel like they shouldn't mix, and no one really wants to try them due to their looks. The supports that focus on her would focus on 1. Him cooking to try and help the team, 2. The fact that he can almost seemingly instantaneously become almost a whole 'nother person, and 3. Trying to bring out that energetic self more. Since my sister didn't bother to give me stats, let's make him high base skill and luck, but average everything else. His growths would be focused on res, luck, and skill, but that's up for change. His initial allegiances can fit wherever you think would be good.

Edited by FlyingKitsune

20 hours ago, Jotari said:

I don't actually know what this Radd Quetz is. Is that a hack?

To put it bluntly, Radd Quetz was simply amazing.

It made the rounds with a few mainstream FE youtubers a couple years back, though perhaps not cool and based channels such as yours. Some of them even read sections of it, which you can listen to for context if you really want to. I don't think the whole thing is posted in the SF thread, but I could be wrong.

8 hours ago, FlyingKitsune said:

One of her main hobbies is cooking

Support time.

I have updated Callahan for your reading pleasure. I also have another character because I cannot stop myself.

Abner

Spoiler

A cavalier eager to prove himself. He wants to emulate and live up to the reputation of his older brother, Glennn, who died valiantly in the initial expulsion of Archanea from Pyrathi. Though generally friendly and down-to-Earth, he's very willing to spill blood and his calm smile doesn't go away when he's doing so. He's obnoxiously persistent and prone to getting tunnel-vision, but his refusal to quit has its advantages when something actually important is going on.

To understand Abner, one must under stand Glennnnnnn. He was a noble knight who was so dedicated to both his country and friends that it was impossible to discern which one he was more loyal to. He would always ask people if they needed a hand, and sometimes would insist on helping even if the other party objected, and Abner aspires to imitate that behavior.

Their father was kind of a deadbeat, so Glennitro took on extra odd jobs to provide extra for his poor family while also adopting many duties of the head of the household. Yet Glennsylvania still made personal sacrifices so he could afford to be generous to others. Even though their father died in Marth's invasion, Abner thinks more often about and wants to be more like Glock-Glenn-Spiel in part because of generosity like that.

Abner never does anything half-heartedly, because Glenntindo said that you should give something your all if you were going to do it at all. That's what lead Good Glenntentions to become such a valiant knight who was respected by so many people, even by Archanean forces. He will always protect someone who seems helpless, because that's the example which Jay Gleno set. Abner will recklessly endanger himself for others, perhaps forgetting that he is not quite so capable of defending them as his brother was.

Since Glennstavos was a humble man who didn't like to take credit and shied away from attention, Abner...is kind of in a cross-roads. He wants to be humble like his brother was, but he also wants to be recognized, because that's how he knows he's exampling well to others the kind of man OxyGlennn had been.

Glennn summation, Abner wants to be like his brother because his brother was always the kindest and most capable person in his life, the person who most commanded his respect and most deserves to be immortalized and imitated. Yet struggles because he often lets it slip from his mind (and knows he should keep it at the front of his mind) that Glenonutnovember didn't really like fighting people, but only did it because that's what he had to do for the things he cared about- his home, his family, and his fellow man.

As a cavalier, Abner will probably be good. He's kinda bulky.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

In addition to Radd, Caesar, and the Laim Auffle Cleric, what if we could get Roger back as well? He joins right next to Pyrathi, after all. But why would he be back in this part of the world? Well, he's traveling there with his girlfriend...

Jeeda

Everyone knows her - the Pegasus Princess of Tallis, with long cyan hair! From up on high, she attacks targets with her Fling Spear. She's in Pyrathi on a diplomatic mission, aiming to represent her home country of Dalys both to the Archanean occupiers and the local insurgents. She's totally not using her passing resemblance to a more established figure in order to line her own pockets, no sirree!

If it wasn't already obvious, this would be a "joke character" in the vein of Samto or Shannam. As a unit, I'm envisioning Caeda to the extreme - 100% Speed growth, and nothing else above 20%. The Fling Spear is effective against Armors and Cavalry... but it only has 1 Might. To compensate, it would be a throwing weapon.

As for her relationship with Roger, it's a complicated one. Roger thinks of her as the girl who scooped him off his feet years ago on the battlefield... or at least, that's what he tells her and others. Deep down, he knows she's not Princess Caeda, but he accepts the sad truth that she's the closest he'll ever get. Jeeda feels the slightest tinge of guilt at "deceiving" Roger, but for a poor, illiterate stable girl from Talex, she feels lucky to be with a Grustian knight. She's not about to jeopardize that.

2 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

As for her relationship with Roger, it's a complicated one. Roger thinks of her as the girl who scooped him off his feet years ago on the battlefield... or at least, that's what he tells her and others. Deep down, he knows she's not Princess Caeda, but he accepts the sad truth that she's the closest he'll ever get. Jeeda feels the slightest tinge of guilt at "deceiving" Roger, but for a poor, illiterate stable girl from Talex, she feels lucky to be with a Grustian knight. She's not about to jeopardize that.

This is honestly so frickin' sad for both of them that it makes me stop laughing at how she's from Dallas.

4 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

In addition to Radd, Caesar, and the Laim Auffle Cleric, what if we could get Roger back as well? He joins right next to Pyrathi, after all. But why would he be back in this part of the world? Well, he's traveling there with his girlfriend...

Jeeda

Everyone knows her - the Pegasus Princess of Tallis, with long cyan hair! From up on high, she attacks targets with her Fling Spear. She's in Pyrathi on a diplomatic mission, aiming to represent her home country of Dalys both to the Archanean occupiers and the local insurgents. She's totally not using her passing resemblance to a more established figure in order to line her own pockets, no sirree!

If it wasn't already obvious, this would be a "joke character" in the vein of Samto or Shannam. As a unit, I'm envisioning Caeda to the extreme - 100% Speed growth, and nothing else above 20%. The Fling Spear is effective against Armors and Cavalry... but it only has 1 Might. To compensate, it would be a throwing weapon.

Roger's Mytery of the Emblem ending says he never managed to actually get very far with any women, so I would need to insist they actually break up in their ending or supports.

22 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Jeeda

I've decided to call her Sheeda, as  a joke about how unintuitive Caeda is as a spelling. Here is her temporary portrait.

WMm5x8W.png

It's meant to be Shiida with a unibrow,  but it's probably looks more like a circlet.

18 hours ago, Jotari said:

Roger's Mytery of the Emblem ending says he never managed to actually get very far with any women, so I would need to insist they actually break up in their ending or supports.

While this is even more sad, it kinda fits with what was already suggested. A relationship based on a mutual "I guess this is the best I can get" probably won't be all that stable.

13 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I've decided to call her Sheeda, as  a joke about how unintuitive Caeda is as a spelling. Here is her temporary portrait.

You're missing the long cyan hair.

Now then, back to old business. I was thinking of what the provincial governor character could be, and part of me wants to say Cain. However, I feel like Cain is a little obvious- I feel like he's somehow more prevalent than Abel is, but Abel goes AWOL in his New Mystery ending. Cain also ends up as the head of the Altean Knights, which might be a little too important for the position. Perhaps a better candidate would be Rody- he stays as a knight, but he isn't given an explicit position, and he's definitely more obscure than Cain is. As much as hearing second-hand accounts of Abel's disastrous marriage would be fun, I think the Rody plan might be better.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

While this is even more sad, it kinda fits with what was already suggested. A relationship based on a mutual "I guess this is the best I can get" probably won't be all that stable.

You're missing the long cyan hair.

Now then, back to old business. I was thinking of what the provincial governor character could be, and part of me wants to say Cain. However, I feel like Cain is a little obvious- I feel like he's somehow more prevalent than Abel is, but Abel goes AWOL in his New Mystery ending. Cain also ends up as the head of the Altean Knights, which might be a little too important for the position. Perhaps a better candidate would be Rody- he stays as a knight, but he isn't given an explicit position, and he's definitely more obscure than Cain is. As much as hearing second-hand accounts of Abel's disastrous marriage would be fun, I think the Rody plan might be better.

I'm going to have the governor show up in a chapter set in a prison (where the prison chaplain unit will also join), since the framing device is that Archaneans were expelled during the time frame of the War of Heroes, he's the ex governor. The Archaneans during the course of the game will be attempting to invade again, a campaign initiated by Wolf per his heading of throwing himself into battles hoping to die. As for the identity of the ex-governor, the time frame I've set up necessitates it's someone who doesn't show up in New Mystery. Fortunately there is someone who is MIA in that game.

5 hours ago, eclipse said:

Did you still need a backstory for Pierre?  I've cooked one up, for reasons I don't quite understand myself.

I've since renamed him, but if you have something, then shoot.

The second demo is now out. This has the Prologue and Chapter 1-4. So three more chapters than the previous demo. I urge everyone to play it and tell me what you think. Hopefully it should give a much better sense of where the project is going and what shape it is taking than the rather limited first demo.

Cool concept!  
I think Jeorge cool also fit in well. Though not part of Marth's forces, he does have his own reasons to go back to Pyrathi. In the town he is recruited Jeorge has a few of his "informants" of sorts that are caught up in the conflict. He's clearly an in the know character and a network would help him keep the upper hand regarding his family's squabbling between his and other noble families vying for power. 
He might even need to use Parthia as a bargaining chip to ensure their safety and then  try to retrieve it later down the line? The bow could be used as a highly sought after tool that could sway the struggle for control of Pyrathi? If not for it's battle prowess, it could be sold for resources etc.

Not sure if this is the kind of stuff you'd be looking for but when envisioning Jeorge it's mostly about calculative work and cunning and that might be interesting to explore.

I've implemented a new feature. Bonus EXP. However, unlike Shadows of Valentia and Tellius, it works a bit differently. Bonus exp is automatically given at the end of every chapter to units whom you did not deploy in battle. Meaning your benched units will continue to grow throughout the game. This should hopefully allow for a wider diversity of units you can select to tackle each specific chapter, as you're not forced to depend purely on who you've trained. Benched units get 40exp if you finish the chapter in less than 10 turns, and 20exp if you take longer than ten turns.

4 hours ago, Vicious Sal said:

Cool concept!  
I think Jeorge cool also fit in well. Though not part of Marth's forces, he does have his own reasons to go back to Pyrathi. In the town he is recruited Jeorge has a few of his "informants" of sorts that are caught up in the conflict. He's clearly an in the know character and a network would help him keep the upper hand regarding his family's squabbling between his and other noble families vying for power. 
He might even need to use Parthia as a bargaining chip to ensure their safety and then  try to retrieve it later down the line? The bow could be used as a highly sought after tool that could sway the struggle for control of Pyrathi? If not for it's battle prowess, it could be sold for resources etc.

Not sure if this is the kind of stuff you'd be looking for but when envisioning Jeorge it's mostly about calculative work and cunning and that might be interesting to explore.

I do plan on setting a chapter in that village later in the game, but I'm taking it another way. The people of that village basically hate Jeorge. As, from their perspective, they took him in and helped him out when he had no one, and then he turned around and assisted in the invasion of their country, basically stabbing everyone in the back that had just helped him. I don't plan to actually have him show up though. Parthia I will have in the game though (along with Mercurius and Gradivus), but it will be used in the hands of Wolf.

On 12/3/2022 at 3:17 PM, Jotari said:

I've since renamed him, but if you have something, then shoot.

The really rough version:

Spoiler

Originally from Valentia, his path in life led him to less-than-reputable jobs.  He'd just joined up with a new bandit group, after his last one had been made an example of.  He wasn't sure why the boss was going after a bunch of kids, or how the old guy would protect the kids.  But much to his horror, the old guy and the kids slowly pushed his newfound group back.  In the chaos of battle, he slipped away.  Better to live and fight another day.  Convinced that Valentia's job offerings were second-rate, he managed to slip aboard a boat headed to Archanea.  Not less than half a day after arriving in Archanea, he heard news of trouble in Pyrathi - the kind of trouble that led to profit.  While the various factions were busy fighting among themselves, he'd slip in, take whatever wasn't nailed down, and leave a richer man.  Or so he told himself.

8 hours ago, eclipse said:

The really rough version:

Hide contents

Originally from Valentia, his path in life led him to less-than-reputable jobs.  He'd just joined up with a new bandit group, after his last one had been made an example of.  He wasn't sure why the boss was going after a bunch of kids, or how the old guy would protect the kids.  But much to his horror, the old guy and the kids slowly pushed his newfound group back.  In the chaos of battle, he slipped away.  Better to live and fight another day.  Convinced that Valentia's job offerings were second-rate, he managed to slip aboard a boat headed to Archanea.  Not less than half a day after arriving in Archanea, he heard news of trouble in Pyrathi - the kind of trouble that led to profit.  While the various factions were busy fighting among themselves, he'd slip in, take whatever wasn't nailed down, and leave a richer man.  Or so he told himself.

I've been thinking about including a Valentia character, but my 2D thinking was only considering actual existing characters and not an original one (and I'm worried about going too overboard with cameos). Specifically I'd like a Valentian character, as the knowledge of Mila and Duma being overthrown would be a blow to the Pyrathians, as they have a similar way of life to Valentians. I would love to make him a mage with the Gaiden style spell system, but unfortunately that doesn't work with the skill patch. A thief will do though, I need another thief.

Is the old guy and a bunch of kids a reference to something in Shadows of Valentia? Only thing I can think of his Slayde's group at the start of the game attacking the Ram kids and Mycen, but they weren't exactly bandits. They certainly acted like Bandits, but they were Zofian Knights.

Edited by Jotari

I've decided to implement two different promotion systems. There is the regular Master Seals, which promote units to the classes they all have in the DS games, and there's also the ability to pray at Salamander Statues across the world, which provides alternative promotions. This was done so I can have my cake and eat it to in regards to being authentic to the established Archanea class lines while still having more interesting class variations in, and because it shows how Pyrathi's isolation has made it more distinct from the rest of Archanea and more similar to Valentia (Master Seals are specifically going to be noted as something new to Pyrathi and most Pyrathi enemies will have the alternative promotions).

On 12/7/2022 at 4:40 AM, Jotari said:

I've been thinking about including a Valentia character, but my 2D thinking was only considering actual existing characters and not an original one (and I'm worried about going too overboard with cameos). Specifically I'd like a Valentian character, as the knowledge of Mila and Duma being overthrown would be a blow to the Pyrathians, as they have a similar way of life to Valentians. I would love to make him a mage with the Gaiden style spell system, but unfortunately that doesn't work with the skill patch. A thief will do though, I need another thief.

Is the old guy and a bunch of kids a reference to something in Shadows of Valentia? Only thing I can think of his Slayde's group at the start of the game attacking the Ram kids and Mycen, but they weren't exactly bandits. They certainly acted like Bandits, but they were Zofian Knights.

I can probably finagle that bit in (say, have someone hire the bandit to scout, then tell him to GTFO), if you really want to use this.  I figured that someone having a passing connection to Valentia could be interesting.  Better to have an original character from Valentia IMO, since it's easier to work with a non-canon character IMO.