Feh Channel - December, 2022

Fire Emblem Fan

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say I wasn't expecting the Realm of Light to show up eventually, but I can't say I expected what we got either. I'm gonna need to watch the video a few times when I have more time. My first impressions were mixed. I like the OC looks and music, but I'm also not as sold on them as I was for the previous few books. (I liked the switch from Book 3's heavy metal to Book 4's dreamy to 5's techno when it came to music and designs.) ALSO, I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS SHARENA ERASURE ANY LONGER! Also-Also, was that a young Freya? A quick Wiki peak tells me that Seidr was a type of magic in Norse Mythology rather than an explicit purpose, and Freya was the goddess associated with said magic. (As is Odin.) The book cover also doesn't appeal to me as much as previous books, but I'm sure it'll grow on me with time. 

Overall, I'm mixed and unsure of how to feel, and this is pretty normal, all things considered. It's not my favorite intro for a book, but I'm sure I'll learn to love the characters in time. 

I like the music.

... That's basically all I like about Book 7.

Also, I can't tell whether Ophelia is already breaking Rearmed weapon lore just by being on that banner, or if it's actually in-character of her to get corrupted by a cursed weapon by thinking it's "cool" or something. Either way, hate to see her on it.

Goddess of Light vs Snake Goddess feels like a Kid Icarus reference.

Kinda happy about finally getting Dwyer, but I’m I’m suspicious he’s the demote, and I’m saving what’s left of my orbs for New Years banner

Well, starting at Chapter 13 is interesting, but then the question is, will chapters from 1-12 or 12-1 afterwards?  Music is great, nothing new there. But wow, there really are no male OC's this time, guess they finally killed them all, except for Alfonse and Alfonse, well, maybe some male characters will be introduced later.

Here's some Etymology:

Seithr: a type of Magic (hang on, what was Nivovalir's magic called again? Edit: Seithjarn, possible connection?)

Heithr: an alternate name from Gullveig

Gullveig: a witch speared three times and burnt by the aesir, and was Reborn three times. On her third rebirth, started to practice Seithr, and took the name Heithr. She allegedly leads to conflict between the Aesir and Vanir. Edit: also some scholars believe she and Freya and the same.

Edited by Aedan7479

Hell yeah, Caeldori at last and a sick looking Rearmed Ophelia. Meanwhile, Kiragi and Dwyer both getting shafted was the most predictable shit ever.

Oh, and Book VII looks fine I guess. The fact the chapter numbers are apparently going backwards this Book is a nice meme.

Maaaaan, I want that Ophelia. Good thing I got to save orbs from the good luck in the Vero/Embla banner.

Hey, you can steal Friends' Units now! If anyone wants my Micaiah feel free to take her!

Nice with the free 4* Special Pull every week. Will help with merge projects.

Oh, and I'm liking Book 7. Seior looks like a great freebie unit.

Music was cool, OCs look weird, story sounds confusing.

Banner looks fine, I'm glad they skipped an Ascended to stay at four proper new units. The real moment of truth will be January, though.

Binding Worlds recruitment is neat, hope it'll get occasional freebies like with Forma Souls. I imagine it'll extend to later books over time.

Weekly free old 5* summons is solid. Looks like for now, the ones I'm missing are:

• Red: Lucina, Mareeta, Sanaki (3/55)
  • Blue: Fallen Berkut, Forsyth, Shiro, Sumia, Ylgr, Selkie (6/37)
  • Green: Gerik, Hilda, Minerva, Dierdre, Super Nino, Dream Corrin (6/32)
  • Colorless: Eleonora, Dream Mikoto, Mist (3/25)

So the best options for me right now are green followed by blue. Colorless ends up way ahead of red because the pool sizes are so different, any given unit is over twice as rare in red. (Which also means there will be a lot more red orbs showing up than colorless.)

The timer suggested the current banner will last for three months, which suggests the next round of demotes will probably be in March.

Edited by Othin

Don't care too much about the new story seeing Feh's track record for the past 6 books. The music is dope so that's enough to consider it a win. 

A little miffed the new Mythic is Astra rather than Light. She'd have been pretty nice to make Embla's reign of terror less scary. She's not going to be doing much during Astra when it's extremely easy to sweep foes in one turn. 

Celebration rewards are meh, although I appreciate the 700 Divine Codes.

The Fates children banner is a skip for me. Special Spiral 4 seems to be the go to for infantry mages as they lack a way to pierce %based dmg reduction, but other than that it's nothing crazy. Special mention to Caeldori's weapon having a convoluted way of saying she'll debuff her opponent's Atk/Def between 10 and 35% depending on her not outstatting her foe by more than 5 points. 

Ugh, Hans. After the GHB rerun is done that guy is going to become fodder or feathers. 

So now you can take other players units as a forma (as long as they are from book IV and lower). It doesn't affect me until the new item gets added to the Celestial shop so eh. 

The arena 5* ticket is pretty cool. Those are weekly, right? I see the banner lasts for ~3 months if you want to hoard some tickets and get a dozen 5* units in one sitting. Reminder that the 4 star special pool is pretty bloated and there's a ton of Gen 1 five stars with no stats/fodder so it's going to be a gamble to get merges for your old favorites this way. 

First of all-- WOW, a Fates summon that actually adds someone I care about (Kiragi), and he's a 3-4☆ non-focus so I can actually get him passively.  Otherwise EXTREMELY skippable summon (which is good, for saving purposes)

Secondly, they could've done 700 grails for the celebratory quests, but as always they have to be needlessly stingy with them.

Why is she Astra? I thought Light and Anima needed more help, giving Astra more tools to play with is just making things harder for the latter. Rest of the banner is not for me as I don't care for the majority of the Fates children or Hans, so it's an easy skip.

Book-wise, not too impressed so far. Writing-wise FEH has always struggled so I'm not expecting too much, but usually the presentation in the intros and the like tend to be good and this one didn't do really sell it for me. I'm also not too fond of the character designs, but admittedly I'm bias since I liked Book 6's so it always going to be a tough act to follow. One positive I will give is that the theme is nice, I like soft tone in the background and the vocals.

Getting Book 4 and under units is nice, but over $50 is very steep so I can't see myself ever investing in that. Arena on the other hand, giving out free tickets is nice, the odds of getting my preferred character is low but at least I'll be able to fish for them so I can try to max them out.

All in all, not the best Channel. Some neat things, but many parts were pretty underwhelming.

Edited by Medeus

Kiran being a chick magnet, have they maybe considered toning down the freebie hero's "sexiness" just a little bit?
Seithr is now weaponizing the Bonus Unit effect from Aether Raids. That's more than a little rude...

The enemy units all seem to have an exclusive accessory covering their face.

Fates units time. No Ascended Hero, so I guess we're done with them for Book 7.

• Caeldori joins and I don't know what to feel about that.
    Her weapon's calculation is kind of confusing to me, but I guess she just wants her stats to not be that much higher than her enemies?
  • Kiragi is one of two demote units, and he brings the Unbound Bow with him. Maybe he'll finally make Swift Sparrow available far easier than it already has been?
  • Dwyer, the other demote, has the Aid staff, serving as the alternative to Scion Nanna's Staff of the Twelve. He's also bringing Spd Tactics and an AR skill with him.
  • Ah yes, Hans. Can't wait to totally ignore him.
  • Oh no, Ophelia is succumbing to the evils of the Arcane weapon!
    ...which basically means now I have to summon for her!
    She's also bringing with her Special Spiral 4, adding the Damage Reduction ignorance trait to all special triggers of whoever has this skill and adding +5 damage to said special triggers. It's basically the same effect on Young Innes's weapon. That's... rude.
    Arcane Eclipse has a built-in Quickened Pulse effect on top of the Slaying, stat boost, guaranteed follow-up, and... neutralizing Atk penalties? That last one feels a little weak compared to what other Arcane Weapons have gotten.

Otherworld Bonds... ah frick, now virtually ANY unit can be a Forma unit.
Wonder if it can be used on the Askr trio?

This is also going to seriously uproot the units we make our castle reps. Some units will just naturally be more valuable than others, especially if they hold valuable skills. Someone like my Nina could easily become a valuable asset to someone else. And from the footage presented, we're even allowed to pick units who have Arcane Weapons equipped.

And for the last big addition, once per week we will all be able to make 1 free summon of a 4* Special Hero. That's certainly going to shoot Arena participation up a notch.

Edited by Xenomata

Which team is the castle rep selected from, anyway? Is it the first team, or the defense team, or something else? I've had my defense team be my first team for so long I stopped noticing the difference.

8 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Fates units time. No Ascended Hero, so I guess we're done with them for Book 7.

I don't think they're going to drop them for the full book, but it does suggest that some banners will go with just one alt type rather than both. We'll have to wait to see how often that happens with normal New Heroes banners.

It certainly fits the previous patterns. 2017 introduces legendary heroes in elemental banners, 2018 introduces mythics in the same banners and they switch between them. 2019 introduces duo heroes in seasonal banners, 2020 introduces harmonized heroes and does the same thing. 2021 and 2022 introduce Ascended and Rearmed heroes on New Heroes banners...

Wonder what'll happen in 2023.

3 minutes ago, Othin said:

Which team is the castle rep selected from, anyway? Is it the first team, or the defense team, or something else? I've had my defense team be my first team for so long I stopped noticing the difference.

It's the first unit in the first team.

Just now, LoneStar said:

It's the first unit in the first team.

Simple enough. I think my best early unit to offer is my Forma Dozla, so I'll bring him in once maintenance ends.

Looks like the Arena ticket replaces the Sacred Coins reward. Still, certainly more powerful, and I just finished upgrading the last of my non-stat seals anyway.

I originally thought the New Heroes was awful. No Ascended unit, and having barely used the child characters in Fates, I don't value them at all. Until, that is, I checked and noticed that Ophelia is red. I despise her character buuuuuuut, well, let's say Valentine's Titania is hungry. However I also notice that none of her skills other than her weapon are even eligible to be given to cavalry, nor to fliers. That's a big downer. 😞

Genuinely not sure what to do about that. I can't use Ophelia to pass on Catch or Trace so I'd have to get creative. Or rather, I'd probably end up asking Ice Dragon and XRay to get creative. 😛

Besides that, a free 5* every week is cool. Actually Hans is kinda cool too, might be a candidate for Ganglot's skills. Don't give a stuff about the new chapter story. And of course the friend formas are irrelevant unless they throw us a free one.

Looking at Seithr again (can't for the life of me find that delta symbol, so yeah) she's meh for AR when Elimine exists but on SD she's going to be dangerous if played properly. They already showed that her C skill will work on story maps so it's not only for AR like Duma's old Upheaval. Shutting a unit down during turn 2 is going to be big, although a little tough to pull off with the Cardinal direction requirement. But seriously, her Res is more than good enough to shut down B!Seliph from like 6 spaces away. She should also be pretty helpful for Arena, although being a Mage cav means she'll probably need the Duel 4 skill. 

Well, I just watched it. Looks like we're getting a "like an older sister" character as the "guaranteed to live" character this time. So far, all new characters are female. So, probably just snake lady who's going to die. That said, she's called a "seer," so it could be that this book is partially from her point of view, hence why we're starting in the future/at ch13. It's not that time is warping, but rather that she's seeing the future, and then altering it by making different choices in the present. (You chose time warping as your theme within a Light and Dark theme. This is a notoriously difficult theme to tackle. Good luck, IS.) So, is this lady trying to prevent the destruction of the gods, or is she trying to bring it about in some roundabout way? We'll see.

Also, DWYER IS FINALLY IN! And Kiragi! Finally, all the royal children have made it into Heroes. =D So...Ophelia looks like she took a cue from Embla and Elm with those wings, but she's a Rearmed Red Tome unit. So... Yeah, I don't quite get it. Also, Feh cannot pronounce Caeldori. There is no vowel after the L.

Soooo those were my takeaways! Looking forward to when the Book 7 thread is up!

Edit: Oh, also, new lady's "horse" looks kind of like a goat. Specifically, looks kind of like Freyja in her goat form.

Edited by Mercakete

Holy shit everything is iridescent. It looks like this book's new characters are all being drawn by Yoshiku again, which means everyone will be round and squishy-looking.

It's the holiday season, which means we're getting one more banner than usual, which means that as much as I want to pull for Ophelia and Seidr, I really need to be saving my money for the winter and New Year banners. I'll probably just pull until the spark (pull for Seidr and spark for Ophelia) and wait to see what's on the upcoming banners before committing any more orbs to it.

If the Arena bonus list functions the same as last year, the second half of December will have Seidr, the winter units, and half of the units from this banner, and the first half of January will have the upcoming Legendary/Mythic Hero, the New Year units, and the other half of the units from this banner. This means I can get away with not pulling from this banner and also not pulling the upcoming Legendary/Mythic Hero if I so choose to do so (or drop the winter and/or New Year banners, but I doubt they'll be worth dropping since they're usually quite solid both in terms of unit viability and how much I like the characters).

Also, we finally have a green freebie story unit (not including Anna).

As for the banner:

They at least gave Arcane Eclipse a guaranteed follow-up this time, so it'll actually be usable on most units instead of just the fast ones. Its effect is good enough to give to pretty much any unit that doesn't have a better exclusive weapon, maybe also including tanks, though I'm not 100% convinced that getting a guaranteed follow-up on the weapon slot is worth losing passive healing from Unity Blooms. It would let Henriette switch out Crafty Fighter for something else, but she still wants the Guard effect, and there isn't really anything else worth running that grants it (I guess she could run Special Fighter + Aether or something).

Conveniently, Arcane Eclipse + Special Spiral 4 + Time's Pulse is a build that works on literally every offensive infantry red tome. Inconveniently, you can't inherit all of those in one go, though at least Time's Pulse has pretty decent distribution now.

I'm a bit disappointed Ophelia comes with Atk/Res Finish instead of Atk/Spd Finish. There are fewer units that can make use of Atk/Res Finish, and it's already in the standard summoning pool.

Special Spiral 4 is pretty cool and gives you more options for breaking Brave Dimitri, Brave Edelgard, and Fallen Edelgard. It looks like it'll be pretty busted for Infantry Pulse teams. The +5 damage and ignoring percentage damage reduction also makes the skill actually competitive with other B skills so that it'll actually be worth using even on units that wouldn't normally run Special Spiral 3.

Dwyer's Aid+ is actually pretty cool. It's Sparkling Boost in the weapon slot.

Seidr's Future-Focused is interesting, but I'm not sure how useful it will actually be, at least as far as Aether Raids is concerned. The most annoying unit to deal with on Astra season is Arval, and Arval's Res is way too high to reliably hit it with it. Activating on odd turns also overlaps with the fence, which is a bit annoying since I think it would be a bit more useful if it activated on turn 2 instead. Otherwise, Seidr is pretty average with a solid kit, but nothing particularly special it.

3 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Or rather, I'd probably end up asking Ice Dragon and XRay to get creative.

Arcane Eclipse + Ruptured Sky. If you don't mind giving up a Gonzalez and/or Sonia to get the prerequisites, you can also pass down Atk/Spd Menace and/or Atk/Res Menace, respectively.

Def/Res Smoke 3 is technically an option, but it's kind of hard to actually get your hands on it.

You can alternatively give up Ruptured Sky to get Fatal Smoke, I guess, but I think Ruptured Sky is more valuable.

I'm hyped. It's easy to get me, but what i can say. I like the character designs on the new book. I actually like the snake lady's design the most. I never look into the story because FEH's story abilities are nearly zero to me, but oh well, it's never been their priority.

Hyped for Caeldori and Dwyer, and Ophelia. Hopefully Mitama joins us soon. It's going to be a pain though, i hardly have any orbs and I'm still trying to save up enough to spark on the winter banner. I hope I can get some luck to help me out.

The free 4* special on arena is a really cool bonus, hopefully one day they'll include seasonal units.

The new forma soul type is also a decent addition to the game. gives them a way to make money without feeling too disruptive, and understandably restricted to units up to vr/yr 4. I'll rather they do things like these, and not paywall the spark feature for all banners.

And the usual translation things:

The name of the banner, "Book VII Begins: Seiðr and More", is "新英雄&魔器英雄&セイズ" (shin-eiyū & maki eiyū & seizu), "New Heroes & Arcane Weapon Hero & Seiðr". The "Book VII Begins" is not part of the banner name in Japanese and is instead in front of the name where the "New Heroes" is in the English video title as "第7部開幕記念" (dai-nana-bu kaimaku kinen), "Book 7 Opening Commemoration". As usual, "魔器英雄" (maki eiyū), "magic weapon hero" is the term used for Rearmed Heroes, which I'm translating as "Arcane Weapon Hero".

Ophelia's epithet, "Starlit Maiden", is "選ばれし星の乙女" (erabareshi hoshi no otome), "Maiden of the Chosen Star" or "Chosen Maiden of the Stars". It's ambiguous if "選ばれし" (erabareshi), "chosen", modifies "星" (hoshi), "star(s)", or if it modifies "星の乙女" (hoshi no otome), "maiden of the star(s)".

Arcane Eclipse is "魔器ルナイクリプス" (maki runa ikuripusu), "Arcane Weapon: Luna Eclipse".

Special Spiral is "奥義の螺旋" (ōgi no rasen), "Special Skill Spiral". "奥義" (ōgi), "secret technique", is the term used for Special skills.

Caeldori's epithet, "Perfect Angel", is "完璧を追う翼" (kanpeki o ou tsubasa), "Wings That Chase Perfection".

Prodigy Polearm is "天才肌の薄薙刀" (tensaihada no usu-naginata), "Prodigy's Light Naginata". "薄" (usu-), "light", could potentially be pronounced "haku" and could potentially mean Japanese pampas grass or any of several similar grasses, but I'm pretty sure it's neither. Watch me be wrong.

Atk/Spd Hold is "攻撃速さの大牽制" (kōgeki hayasa no dai-kensei), "Atk/Spd Great Restraint". As usual, "牽制" (kensei), "restraint", is the name of the Rein skill series.

Dwyer's epithet, "Sleepy Butler", is "無気力な杖使い" (mukiryoku na tsue-tsukai), "Lethargic Staff User". "無気力" (mukiryoku) literally translates as "lacking energy" or "lacking willpower" and can mean either "lethargy" or "apathy".

Aid is "エイド" (eido), "Aid".

Seiðr's epithet, "Goddess of Hope" is "希望の女神" (kibō no megami), "Goddess of Hope".

Seiðr is "セイズ" (seizu), "Seiðr".

Chill Atk/Spd is "攻撃魔防の封印" (kōgeki mabō no fūin), "Atk/Res Seal". The Chill series uses the word "封印" (fūin), which is the noun "seal". Contrast with the Seal skill series, which uses "封じ" (fūji), "sealing", which is the root of the verb "封じる" (fūjiru), "to seal", used as a gerund.

Future-Focused is "共に未来を見つめて" (tomo ni mirai o mitsumete), "(Let's) Gaze At the Future Together".

Kiragi's epithet, "Upbeat Archer", is "前向きな弓使い" (maemuki na yumi-tsukai), "Forward-Facing Archer".

Unbound Bow is "孤絶の弓" (kozetsu no yumi), "Bow of Isolation".

Hans's epithet, "Ambitious Brute", is "怪力栄進を欲す" (kairiki eishin o hossu), "Desiring the Progression of Superhuman Strength".

Aurgelmir is "アウルゲルミル" (aurugerumiru), "Aurgelmir".

Gullveig's epithet, "Golden Seer", is "黄金の魔女" (ōgon no majo), "Golden Witch".

Gullveig is "グルヴェイグ" (guruveigu), "Gullveig".

I still can't get behind Fates's localization of character names, particularly the fact that they keep shortening Hoshidans' names as if they think we're too dumb to remember names that are longer than three syllables.

Caeldori's name is Matoi, though that's just a result of them fucking up the gimmick by renaming Tiamo into Cordelia in Awakening.

Kiragi's name is Kisaragi.

Dwyer's name is Deere. Not sure why they felt the need to change that.

Hans's name is Ganz or something like that, though at least Hans is definitely a name while Ganz... might be name in some language. Enemies don't really matter that much, though, unless they're named Macbeth and get renamed to Iago for some reason.

On 12/5/2022 at 12:44 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Jormundgandr was always an interesting idea even if they don't call her that for some reason.

I assume that's probably because she isn't.

Edited by Ice Dragon