Book VII Discussion Thread

DefyingFates

You know the drill! We're headed to Vanaheimr next, land of what seem to be mermaids! Someone joked about it on Reddit, but I didn't actually believe it! It's a clever choice considering Gullveig is associated with sand/ the desert though. And it's nice to have a book without any gender-flipping, even if that means another all-female cast.

What do you think? The chapters flowing in reverse ina  really neat touch too, but I'm worried Gullveig's going to seem overpowered until brought low by a Deus ex Machina a la Surtr.

Edit: I forgot to mention, but Vanaheim is the canonical home of Norse!Freyja and Freyr and we see a Freyja lookalike in the trailer. Hmm...

Opening Movie.

Edited by DefyingFates

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just watched it. Looks like we're getting a "like an older sister" character as the "guaranteed to live" character this time. So far, all new characters are female. So, probably just snake lady who's going to die. That said, she's called a "seer," so it could be that this book is partially from her point of view, hence why we're starting in the future/at ch13. It's not that time is warping, but rather that she's seeing the future, and then altering it by making different choices in the present. (You chose time warping as your theme within a Light and Dark theme. This is a notoriously difficult theme to tackle. Good luck, IS.) So, is this lady trying to prevent the destruction of the gods, or is she trying to bring it about in some roundabout way? We'll see.

Edit: Oh, also, new lady's "horse" looks kind of like a goat. Specifically, looks kind of like Freyja in her goat form.

This is what I wrote in the Feh Channel thread, as applies.

10 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I wonder if Thor's going to have a role this time around. A gigantic snake is Thor's traditional enemy after all.

Thor's rivalry is with Jormungandr, so I don't know if Thorr is going to be relevant.

Speaking of other gods though, I wonder if we'll get Freyja/ Freyr information here since Vanaheim is where those two originated from and we saw someone similar to Freyja in the trailer.

One other thing, according to the official site:

Book VII plays out across the past, present, and future, so the order of the chapters is designed to match the timelines of each act. Chapters 13 and 5 of Book VII will be released with Ver. 7.0.0, but you can enjoy the story in the order it is released, as normal.

That is genuinely fascinating. Don't drop the ball on this, IS. Please!!!

5 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

One other thing, according to the official site:

Oh myyyyyy this could be good. But man I'm nervous. Writing time shenanigans can go deep and complex, and REQUIRES you to KNOW your canon VERY WELL in order for the story to work. So, I'm a bit nervous. I hope IS can pull this off, because this would be EXCELLENT as a penultimate book, showing things across this cycle (Norse mythology lite (off the top of my head): the world goes in cycles, the end of which is ragnarok (where all the gods die), followed by the dawn of a new age run by humans until gods come into the picture again) in the past, present and future. Like a recap of this last cycle before it ends. It could really show how events this cycle has led up to this point and give background on major players, especially on the gods, and ESPECIALLY on their origins, lives, and all other details that haven't been filled in yet. THAT SAID I feel like IS will not take this fantastic opportunity to elaborate on their lore in ways in which the player would never otherwise get to know. This is mainly because of the format in which IS is releasing this story. Ugh. It's killing me a little bit...

I'm pretty sure Heithr and Gullveig are the same character, based on the Etymology and the opening. Since it's going to be a story out of order, I'd imagine that in order, it'll show Heithr's decent to villainy and the way it's presented to us, it'll probably the Villian twist. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it's a complicated idea to begin with. Though I wonder, will players who start after book 7 be able to start from chapter 1, or will they have to follow the release order? Edit: it's release order, that should've been obvious, seeing as they're releasing to chapters at once as always.

In regards to Gullveig, I wonder if her tome will be called Jormungandr (after the snake that Thor fights). Edit: nevermind, it's called Gullveig as well.

Another thing I noticed, the second chapter we get is chapter 5, and the second chapter is always the one teased in the banner video, so that means Alfonse and co don't meet Seithr until chapter 5, interesting... Edit: also nevermind, I double checked the Feh channel

You know, I was sceptical, but this book will definitely keep discussion lively, for better or worse, we'll see.

Edit: wow, debunked myself.

Edited by Aedan7479

43 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I'm worried Gullveig's going to seem overpowered until brought low by a Deus ex Machina a la Surtr.

Wasn't that all of them except Veronica?

I am intrigued by this concept, but I am worried I'll forget major points due to the episodic nature, Askr's asking Ash to consider him family made a lot more sense after I replayed the early chapters again on other difficulties and heard Ash talk about how she has no family. What has me intrigued the most is not using the free unit as the ap icon character.

32 minutes ago, Aedan7479 said:

I'm pretty sure Heithr and Gullveig are the same character, based on the Etymology and the opening. Since it's going to be a story out of order, I'd imagine that in order, it'll show Heithr's decent to villainy and the way it's presented to us, it'll probably the Villian twist. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it's a complicated idea to begin with.

In regards to Gullveig, I wonder if her tome will be called Jormungandr (after the snake that Thor fights).

You know, I was sceptical, but this book will definitely keep discussion lively, for better or worse, we'll see.

Not bad thoughts. I was thinking something similar, especially since, from what someone else mentioned, Heidr's name is an alternate name for another character. I don't remember which one off the top of my head, though.

Though I wonder, will players who start after book 7 be able to start from chapter 1, or will they have to follow the release order?

Another thing I noticed, the second chapter we get is chapter 5, and the second chapter is always the one teased in the banner video, so that means Alfonse and co don't meet Seithr until chapter 5, interesting...

This was addressed already in a quote placed here by DefyingFates from the official site.

27 minutes ago, Lemmy said:

Wasn't that all of them except Veronica?

Nah, Veronica too. More or less, Briedablik just ruins the day of most bosses it comes across.

Book 1: Well, we can summon heroes now.

Book 2: Rite of Frost (+Briedablik.)

Book 3: Rite of some other thing. (+Briedablik)

Book 4: ... Actually, this one was Freyr letting himself die, I think? Plus the horn and realizing Kiran was Alfonse and... ... This book was just a trip. But the dues ex machina was kind of the horn and insence in this case.

Book 5: Eitri obsesses over the summon gun, but the big thing was talking to her dead friend.

Book 6: Key of YgsandrilI'mnotgoingtotrytospellthisright.

Edit: Oh, also, a thing I forgot to mention: these snakes look like they have the head shape of boa constrictors, but they have the fangs of pit vipers. Maybe I'm just derping here, but I'm kind of like... What kind of snakes are they supposed to be? (And I mean from an artistic point of view, so I won't accept "magic hair sand snakes" as an answer.)

Edited by Mercakete

1 hour ago, Mercakete said:

What kind of snakes are they supposed to be? (And I mean from an artistic point of view, so I won't accept "magic hair sand snakes" as an answer.)

Maybe a mashup of whatever snakes Yoshiku thought looked interesting?

2 hours ago, Aedan7479 said:

Another thing I noticed, the second chapter we get is chapter 5, and the second chapter is always the one teased in the banner video, so that means Alfonse and co don't meet Seithr until chapter 5, interesting...

Well spotted, I missed that, thanks! In hindsight, if we assume the middle chapters are the "present", it makes sense that Chapter 5 is when the story begins/ we meet everyone.

Basically I'm saying:

Ch 1-4: The Past.

Ch 5-8/9: The Present.

Ch 9/10-13: The Future.

As Mercakete said earlier, time travel is really easy to mess up at the best of times, so I think IS is owed credit if they can get not only a time-travel plot but one told out of sequence to boot to work, even if the story itself remains plain as ever. I'm ready to be amazed, IS!

Who knows, discussing and predicting the story could be really fun this time around!

---

EDIT: Norse Myth time!

Gullveig created Seidhr (Norse magic) in their mythology after being burnt alive and revived three times in a row as a casualty of the Vanir-Aesir war, and took on the name Heidhr. Considering the sand growing on our Heidhr and the time travel stuff I predict we'll see Heidhr become Gullveig at the end of either the present or past story arcs. "Gull" means gold so the gold symbolism makes sense, though the snakes seem to be an attempt to make her a composite of herself and Jormungandr...

...which in hindsight makes sense. Being killed by Odin three times over is plenty of reason to hate the guy if you want to write the story that way, much like Jormungandr grew to hate him after - to put it simply - being thrown in the sea. In fact that water association may be why Seidhr and Heidhr seem to be mermaids even though Gullveig herself is in the desert.  And if we take the Heidhr/ Seidhr names at face value, it may mean this Gullveig grew up alongside her future daughter which is just oozing with interesting character potential or angst even if IS drops the ball on that.

Also, Vanaheim being the realm of light and hosting a Freyja lookalike may mean some continuity with Books 3 and 4, and maybe some interaction with the Book 5 cast since they use Seidhr technology? If they wanted to tie up all their loose-ends before Ragnarok, this really does seem like an efficient way of doing just that and I hope they do an enjoyable job of it, if not a good one.

Edited by DefyingFates

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

Maybe a mashup of whatever snakes Yoshiku thought looked interesting?

Well spotted, I missed that, thanks! In hindsight, if we assume the middle chapters are the "present", it makes sense that Chapter 5 is when the story begins/ we meet everyone.

Basically I'm saying:

Ch 1-4: The Past.

Ch 5-8/9: The Present.

Ch 9/10-13: The Future.

As Mercakete said earlier, time travel is really easy to mess up at the best of times, so I think IS is owed credit if they can get not only a time-travel plot but one told out of sequence to boot to work, even if the story itself remains plain as ever. I'm ready to be amazed, IS!

Who knows, discussing and predicting the story could be really fun this time around!

---

EDIT: Norse Myth time!

Gullveig created Seidhr (Norse magic) in their mythology after being burnt alive and revived three times in a row as a casualty of the Vanir-Aesir war, and took on the name Heidhr. Considering the sand growing on our Heidhr and the time travel stuff I predict we'll see Heidhr become Gullveig at the end of either the present or past story arcs. "Gull" means gold so the gold symbolism makes sense, though the snakes seem to be an attempt to make her a composite of herself and Jormungandr...

...which in hindsight makes sense. Being killed by Odin three times over is plenty of reason to hate the guy if you want to write the story that way, much like Jormungandr grew to hate him after - to put it simply - being thrown in the sea. In fact that water association may be why Seidhr and Heidhr seem to be mermaids even though Gullveig herself is in the desert.  And if we take the Heidhr/ Seidhr names at face value, it may mean this Gullveig grew up alongside her future daughter which is just oozing with interesting character potential or angst even if IS drops the ball on that.

Also, Vanaheim being the realm of light and hosting a Freyja lookalike may mean some continuity with Books 3 and 4, and maybe some interaction with the Book 5 cast since they use Seidhr technology? If they wanted to tie up all their loose-ends before Ragnarok, this really does seem like an efficient way of doing just that and I hope they do an enjoyable job of it, if not a good one.

Have to say, I'm impressed! There are some really, really good analysis and speculative thoughts in this. Well done! It was enjoyable to read and think about as I went. 🙂

I took the liberty of looking at the data mined script on the wiki, and:

we have a male character! King Njordr, who according to Norse mythology, is the father of Freyr and Freya, interesting.

So Chapter 13 does indeed end in the heroes defeat, and then Chapter 5 acts as the traditional first chapter, except Veronica dies, huh. Seithr also says that Ciran seems familiar from her youth, which we'll probably see in an earlier chapter. We haven't seen Heithr yet, probably because she's already Gullveig; I wouldn't be surprised if we only see Heithr in chapters 1-4.

I haven't formed an opinion yet, but we're only at the set up, so I'll wait and see for a couple more chapters how interesting this gets.

Also, on a tangent, part of me wishes this concept was used in book 3, like, if we followed Lif's side all the way through, and then it jumps back to where Lif started changing the future, it probably would’ve held more mention all weight then besides, half of book 3 is already spent chasing Lif, condensing it to fit Lif's side wouldn't have been far-fetched.

1 hour ago, Aedan7479 said:

Reveal hidden contents

we have a male character! King Njordr, who according to Norse mythology, is the father of Freyr and Freya, interesting.

So Chapter 13 does indeed end in the heroes defeat, and then Chapter 5 acts as the traditional first chapter, except Veronica dies, huh. Seithr also says that Ciran seems familiar from her youth, which we'll probably see in an earlier chapter. We haven't seen Heithr yet, probably because she's already Gullveig; I wouldn't be surprised if we only see Heithr in chapters 1-4.

I haven't formed an opinion yet, but we're only at the set up, so I'll wait and see for a couple more chapters how interesting this gets.

Also, on a tangent, part of me wishes this concept was used in book 3, like, if we followed Lif's side all the way through, and then it jumps back to where Lif started changing the future, it probably would’ve held more mention all weight then besides, half of book 3 is already spent chasing Lif, condensing it to fit Lif's side wouldn't have been far-fetched.

Spoiler

Oh that Veronica death is absolutely gonna be fixed by time travel 

On 12/5/2022 at 5:12 PM, Aedan7479 said:

Hide contents

About what you said:

Spoiler

The ending of the Chapter 5:

Gullveig: ...
Veronica: ...Urgh! Gahhh... What... What are you?
Gullveig: Time is the master of all things, and it is time that decides all of our fates. Now is not the time for you to die. That will come later, when the whole of this land lies in ruin. This is the purpose of the Golden Seer. It is for this reason that I exist.

What I get from this is that Gullveing didn't kill Veronica. She attacked her, and maybe kidnapped her for some reason... but not killed her since she clearly said that it is not her time to die. Why she didn't kill her, I don't know.

One neat thing about presenting Legendary Veronica as an additional protagonist is that it's helping the current books feel more distinct from the previous ones.

Looks like later chapters are future visions, while earlier ones will be some sort of time travel.

3 minutes ago, Othin said:

Hide contents

One neat thing about presenting Legendary Veronica as an additional protagonist is that it's helping the current books feel more distinct from the previous ones.

Looks like later chapters are future visions, while earlier ones will be some sort of time travel.

I mean... they even changed the title screen to have Legendary Veronica on it, and she is not facing against the Heroes anymore... she is facing the same direction as them now, meaning she is in our side from now on.

So yeah... Legendary Veronica is here to stay now.

Just now, Diovani Bressan said:

I mean... they even changed the title screen to have Legendary Veronica on it, and she is not facing against the Heroes anymore... she is facing the same direction as them now, meaning she is in our side from now on.

So yeah... Legendary Veronica is here to stay now.

Yeah, it's not a surprise or anything, just neat seeing the results.

The new OC reminds me a bit of Regin in that she's a cheerful girl who quickly loses control of her emotions when facing a setback.

So Veronica's in distress again? She's kinda like the princess peach of Askr isn't she?

The snake masks the enemies are wearing is probably there to suggests that Gullveig's snakes are wrapped around the soldiers and using them as puppets. I guess they use a snakes face rather than a mask because that's easier to do with sprites. Alternatively they can also supposed to be snake faced monsters. 

Okay, after having gone through both new chapters (13 and 5), I have some theories and opinions so time to share!

So, first off, I like the mirroring that went on between the beginning of ch13 and ch5, with Alfonse noting that Kiran looked confused, and gave a little summary of recent events. That the dialogue was so similar not only showed how in-character it was, and its authenticity, but it also, as I mentioned, made good use of the "mirroring" technique, used to draw parallels between concepts, characters, or situations. Also, that ch13 is in the future (and, as explained in the story, the future as it will be if nothing is done to alter it, not the future set in stone, despite snake lady having a Stone tome, which was probably just coincidence, but I appreciate all the same - as, the way she sees it, whatever she chooses to be the future is what is "set in stone.") and ch5 is in the present, is not only following the format IS wanted to follow (so, success) but it's being done fairly well so far.

That said, it seems like there's not a lot that will be too unexpected this time around. At some point, we are definitely being sent into the past and meeting Young Seidr - maybe even saving her from something. She does, after all, take Kiran aside and talk to him about having met him when she was young. So, that's probably something that will happen in our (player) future, but in her past, if you get what I'm trying to say. So, the story will probably go something like "oh no, we didn't go far back in time enough to change events to prevent that bad futute" and so we go WAY into the past (maybe even without the Askrans -- just Kiran and Seidr, or even just Kiran, or possibly even both Kiran and snake lady, or maybe snake lady takes Kiran  with her by accident or something as she goes to... Well, that's my next point.) Speaking of Seidr's past, I'm also in the camp of "Heidr is snake lady but in the past." She even has a gold eye (she's odd-eyed.) My guess is that something happened to her to make her lose hope, and so she became snake lady. (Snake lady may even have gone into the past in order to impart her knowledge and power onto her younger self, taking away her hope as she does so. This is partially because this transformation did not happen to Seidr, who is specifically "the goddess of hope" and there are clear parallels going on here (hope vs resignation, in this case)...as there typically are in FEH stories.) So, it makes sense she would have wrested power over time in order to prevent something from happening that she really, really did not want to have happen (probably ragnarok, since all the gods would be destroyed. She may have even been trying to save Seidr, whom she loves as a sister.) This especially makes sense if this really is the penultimate (that is, 2nd to last) book leading up to ragnarok. This would be her last ditch effort to stop ragnarok from happening, choosing to destroy Midgard in order to protect the gods. After all, it's pretty clear (and has been for a while now) that we're heading towards a confrontation with Alfador and the gods have been dying. And, well, it's pretty obvious that every god's death has been connected in some way to Kiran (at least -- not to mention the Askrans.) Seidr herself says that she is kin with Freyr and Freyja (which also gives me hope that we're going to see more of them (and possibly other gods), especially as younger versions of themselves. We may even see how they developed into who we eventually met.)

I'm also beginning to wonder if the end of the cycle will not just be a restart but a rebirth. Like, if we can somehow change it so that all the baddies chose not to be bad before they chose to be bad, then maybe all the bad stuff would have never happened. That's probably too deep for this book, but some version of it at the end of ragnarok isn't impossible. Still, probably too mind-bendy for what IS has in mind.

As an aside, Seidr's reaction to getting lost was nice. It's good to cement what she's like like that: very earnest and steadfast, to the point of feeling quite a bit of remorse when she messes up (also, ironically, a bit of a catastrophiser. I thought you were supposed to be the goddess of hope?) On a more metaphorical note, there's the theme of hope (as in idealism, rather than realism) leading you down the wrong path...so there's that.

Anyway, looks like we get to see the realm of light in the next chapter. AND we get to meet our first new male character of this book! (Poor guy's a dude and a god so he's totally going to die.) Also, Sharena was all shocked when Seidr said she was a goddess. I was kind of all "that still shocks you?" And then it was addressed, which is great. XD Oh, and for those who wanted more Anna and Sharena screentime... There you go (not that I expect the constant complaining to abate any...)

Oh, another thing: Veronica was referred to as an emperor in the chapter part title alluding to her and the seer. So...I guess her mom gave her rulership? (Like, when exactly did that happen?) Sadly, Veronica's mom feels more like a plot device than a person, and I don't think that's ever going to get addressed...

Ah, also, the various tones and events, accompanied by various tracks (songs) was well done, I think. It really helped the story to feel more full, even though I don't think there was much more dialogue than usual. Oh, and I feel like we may get ch13-2 parts 1-5 or something sometime, to show the changed future. I also wonder if Lif and Co. will be back since they're tyring to destroy the gods, and that seems to tie in quite a bit with what's going on here (especially since, as I've said before, Rearmed Lif specifically alludes to being an enemy in the future in some of his dialogue bits if you summon him.)

Anyway, there we go! My theories and thoughts and all that. (I don't think I'm forgetting anything...) Now, on the FEH to-do list... I'm going to have to go listen in more detail to all those new tracks and hope someone translates what those singers are singing someday.

Edit after reading:

@Etrurian emperor

Actually, if you tap on a foe and then on the mask icon by their movement type, it says that, indeed, these are signs of people being controlled by snake lady. I don't remember the exact quote, but yeah, you basically nailed it in one.

Edited by Mercakete

• 1 month later...

Okay, so, the new chapter hasn't dropped yet, but I could not help but notice actually being able to see the new character in that banner trailer. I love his design! Looking foreward to learning more about him! =D

The new king guy is HOT and I need him, however he is dead already after calling Seidr "my daughter..." and he will have an unreleased base form and will ne locked to a seasonal. Honestly Book 7 has had some great designs, l Gulveig and the king are amazing.

OKAY. I waited until the site maintenance was done in order to go through the story so that I could do so accurately. Let's dive in and see what I waited for!

Alright, so Njordr is the king of Vanaheimr and god of the sea. Hmm I wonder if he's a dragon. His left pauldron looks like the top of a dragon head, while his right looks like a fin is sticking out. Man, I love how they made his cape reminiscent of waves/the surface of water with light glancing off of it, too. I'm sure the bit of scale mail is also intentional. Interesting how he kind of holds 2 titles, and how they seem to be combining light with water here, since those are two distinct aesthetics/themes. It works, though.

Ohhh hmm okay... Heidr is under the seer's servants' attack. This could either mean she's not snake lady, or that she hasn't turned into snake lady yet and that the process for her to be turned into snake lady is underway because time shenanigans. ... Nope; after seeing that damaged art, that is definately her, from the gold bits on her to her eye shape, to her gold eye. Okay, not even just her damaged art. Aaaand it looks like Alfonse is figuring it out already, without even that many clues about the seer. Gull something.

Anyway, yeah! Interesting info drops about how the goddesses are taught to behave by the king, too, despite clearly having "mortal" feelings. I wonder if he's actually going to be the big bad at the end, having "brought on" Gul. Maybe he's even the one who cursed her, since he's the one who can calm the curse in her down.

Also, yeah, that she was by the "gold-spun river." Obvious "foreshadowing" is obvious.

But yeah, the parallels seem to be between hope and despair, and between water and dryness. (Ironic, in some ways, if the king really is the big bad.)

The kid sister teasing (or being oblivious about her phrasing) about shipping with the summoner was kind of sweet, I guess, but it reminded me too much of early FEH pandering. If it didn't have that history, it may have been a fun moment.

All in all, a sort of "calm before the storm" chapter with a lot of what I think is foreshadowing. Also, Njordr's design is dignified and regal. Too bad he is for sure dying before the book ends. Still, if he IS the big bad, he's a nice change of pace, being a more calm and collected male antagonist (unless he goes nuts or something and this exterior is a façade. I hope not. I'd appreciate it if he had a dignified death at the end of the book if he is the big bad, with the same sort of feeling as calmly sinking beneath the waves, quietly falling to fate without making a fuss...)

Edit: Actually, I forgot to add this, but... What if Njordr is a sea serpent? It would also make sense if the snake curse is from him, too, 'cause, y'know...serpents... But yeah, his fin shoulder guard and his dragon head shoulder guard, plus him being the god of the sea, have me wondering this.

Edited by Mercakete