Book VII Discussion Thread

DefyingFates

I am very curious for next month because we should get the Mid-Book trailer, and those trailer usually give us some new clue about where the story is going; Book 4 mid-trailer introduced Freyja, Book 5's mid-trailer gave us Fáfnir as a dragon and stablished Eitri as the main villain, and Book 6's mid-trailer gave us Askr, Embla and Legendary Veronica.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was thinking about some crazy things they could do. Thought of something pretty wild.

Wild theory with twist speculation that is probably wrong:

I think Kvasir being the daughter is a red herring but Kvasir is still someone we know what if it's young Seior with a diffrent name/disguise name. The second summoner weapon is the weapon she took off of our corpse to start the time loop. 

Heior was the intended target of the golden seers curse but Seior transfers it to herself becoming Gullveig in classic heroic fashion. This could be where the time pardox comes from the magic used for transferring the curse was time based and it somehow created a paradox and loop. The reason the king wanted the ritual is because the kid is the only way to stop her mom in the future because of parental ties.

Part of the reason why I am thinking this is because I feel like Heior is not getting enough screentime at the moment if she is Gullveig in the present.  Also kind of thinking about what Alphonse was thinking about in regards to Ksvair and Gullveig. The most spicy answer for where present form Gullveig is with us but not knowing her future.  Also feels like there is backstory to Seior's line about not being employed by the king yet and her not being recognized by past Nerbuz.  

5 hours ago, vikingsfan92 said:

Was thinking about some crazy things they could do. Thought of something pretty wild.

Reveal hidden contents

I think Kvasir being the daughter is a red herring but Kvasir is still someone we know what if it's young Seior with a diffrent name/disguise name. The second summoner weapon is the weapon she took off of our corpse to start the time loop. 

Heior was the intended target of the golden seers curse but Seior transfers it to herself becoming Gullveig in classic heroic fashion. This could be where the time pardox comes from the magic used for transferring the curse was time based and it somehow created a paradox and loop. The reason the king wanted the ritual is because the kid is the only way to stop her mom in the future because of parental ties.

Part of the reason why I am thinking this is because I feel like Heior is not getting enough screentime at the moment if she is Gullveig in the present.  Also kind of thinking about what Alphonse was thinking about in regards to Ksvair and Gullveig. The most spicy answer for where present form Gullveig is with us but not knowing her future.  Also feels like there is backstory to Seior's line about not being employed by the king yet and her not being recognized by past Nerbuz.  

Huh. I admit I don't have faith in the writers wanting to write something as complex as that, but it would be an interesting twist - even if it could probably be considered cheating given all the hints to the contrary.

One thing else I was thinking about for my wild theory is we only know two instances of time travel Gullveig's pretty much entire existence and the time travel we just did. It would be easy to explain time shenanigans if they all were done the same way and by the same person.

But I admit most of my theory is pretty much looking for the biggest twists I  can find. I do think Heior is still more likely to become Gullvieg but given this whole arc is a time shenanigan arc I don't know if I believe they will go for the simple answer.  And why I am at least not buying Ksavir is the daughter just yet. Especially with the mid point coming up as that is the point they are most likely to not do the expected outcome.

Also on a diffrent note I wonder if they will give Brave Gullveig a modified version of the summoner weapon since Kvasir shows us an extra one and she is supposed to be past Gullveig. Probably would just be a colorless tome like the summoner weapon in Mjolnir's strike.

20 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Edit 2:

HOKAY are you guys ready for a crazy alternative theory? Warning: this is WAY more convoluted than my other one. (Or at least, I think so, before writing it out.) Anyway, here we go.

Let's travel back in time to when we meet Seidr in the present after getting that vision about the destroyed future. She talks about feeling like she's met Kiran long ago, when she was young. She also says that everyone in/from Vanaheimr is related to one another (including Freyr and Freyja.) Additionally, she mentions coming into Njordr's service at one point, and I believe she says he raised her. For sure, she sees Heidr as her sister.

Now that we have all that out of the way, let's go backwards in some of the plot points that have appeared. Specifically, these: Njordr gives Seidr the mission to make a kid. Seidr already chose Kiran as the recipient of a vision, so she already has a connection with the summoner and decides to keep that going and choose the summoner to be the one to help her make a kid. Then, we run across Kvasir who looks like a combination of Kiran and Seidr (so, of course, everyone immediately is thinking that this is their kid.) Now, let's go backwards (or kind of backwards) from here. Kvasir (a child) meets Kiran. Seidr meets Kiran and feels like she's met him/her before when she was a child. Gullveig uses up her magic and becomes Kvasir in the future.

If you don't get what I'm getting at yet, let's go over something else Kvasir says: that Gullveig is within her. It's easy to look past because we already have assumed information (Seidr was told to make a kid with Kiran, so we're expecting a Seidr+Kiran kid, Kvasir will "become" Gullveig.)

Okay, time to make it simple: Kvasir is both Heidr and Seidr, Heidr representing inevitability (incurable disease) and Seidr already being overtly a goddess of hope (so a hopeful future.) Kvasir gets split into Heidr and Seidr at some point, and both girls don't remember that they're the same person, instead thinking that they're sisters. The secret is kept from them by Njordr, who takes them in (maybe in the hopes that he can get rid of the curse somehow, so long as they don't remember who they are) and they grow up together. However, the curse advances and advances in Heidr, and she eventually remembers her destiny and who she is, and fully becomes Gullveig. It could also be that when she runs out of power, she not only reverts to her combined form, but gets transported back in time to when she really was in that form. So, it could be that Seidr is free of the time loop curse, but Heidr is still stuck in it.

In short, the kid is a red herring (and explaining how other deities passed on power or whatever -- so a world lore band-aid.) Or, we get a more different kid eventually who can break the time loop. Maybe this is why Njordr told Seidr to make a kid: because it would take someone from her own power to be able to stop her other self's curse. Hard to say.

Anyway, this would explain Seidr mentioning meeting Kiran when she was young and feeling connected to him/her, Kvasir looking just like a young Seidr, the connection between Seidr and Gullveig, where Seidr came from if she was adopted into Njordr's service (partially -- we're still lacking origins) and it would make the duality extremely clear in this book. (Hope vs inevitability, which was hinted at as soon as Seidr was introduced, given her title as a goddess of hope.) It would also explain why Seidr and Heidr look so gosh dang similar.

14 hours ago, vikingsfan92 said:

Reveal hidden contents

That sure looks familiar.

It's not exactly the same, but a "I thought of something similar to what Merc said" would've been courteous.

Edited by Mercakete

3 hours ago, Mercakete said:

That sure looks familiar.

It's not exactly the same, but a "I thought of something similar to what Merc said" would've been courteous.

Thing is I never actually read your post before posting mine. I had spent a while thinking and then spent some time typing it up on my phone and rewatching some of the in game cutscenes and realized I was too tired to continue went to bed and then after I woke up I posted it without actually looking at what was posted in the mean time.  I know that I have no way to either prove or disprove this but it was what happened. I apologize if it looks like I am trying to steal your thunder but I legitimately didnt read your thoughts until after I posted mine. 

I  personally think yours is not quiet the same as mine as yours mention that Seior and Heior are a split of another being where as I didn't. 

It has parts that get close to each other but you definitely think there is more going in with Heior in yours then I did in mine. Where I just think she is a normal sister who will get attacked and Seior takes the hit.  So I am kind of saying the sister is also a red herring. 

Edited by vikingsfan92

1 hour ago, vikingsfan92 said:

Thing is I never actually read your post before posting mine. I had spent a while thinking and then spent some time typing it up on my phone and rewatching some of the in game cutscenes and realized I was too tired to continue went to bed and then after I woke up I posted it without actually looking at what was posted in the mean time.  I know that I have no way to either prove or disprove this but it was what happened. I apologize if it looks like I am trying to steal your thunder but I legitimately didnt read your thoughts until after I posted mine. 

I  personally think yours is not quiet the same as mine as yours mention that Seior and Heior are a split of another being where as I didn't. 

It has parts that get close to each other but you definitely think there is more going in with Heior in yours then I did in mine. Where I just think she is a normal sister who will get attacked and Seior takes the hit.  So I am kind of saying the sister is also a red herring. 

Nah, I believe you -- no proof necessary; your story sounds solid. It's not like I was mad or anything either; it was more just a sort of "uh, excuse me." This isn't the same case, but there have been times on here when people quote me then add more text as though I said what they added. I get annoyed at circumstances FAR more frequently than I do at people, so this was just one of those.

And yeah, I acknowledged that there are differences between the theories (hence by saying "it's not exactly the same.") I was just asking for a nod, anyway (and acknowledgement of "similar to." Also, the wording I suggested still credits you as coming up with your theory on your own, which I suspected was the case. It just gives credit to the one who posted the similarities first, but also makes a claim of "I also thought of this myself." Clears up any potential misunderstandings on anyone's parts, you know?)

Anyway, happy to see others' theories as well as share my own. There are certainly a lot of directions this could go in.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, from what we can tell from the midpoint trailer, yes, Seidr is Kvasir and Gullveig, like @vikingsfan92 and I guessed, but Heidr is also cursed and probably is the main holder of the golden serpent curse, and you're supposed to shoot Seidr? ('Cause Goat Aunt tells you to, I guess?) Also, Njordr looks distressed. That said, the trailers aren't always super duper accurate in terms of details (Ash attacking with her cowbell polearm and never transforming, for example.) So, I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

24 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Well, from what we can tell from the midpoint trailer, yes, Seidr is Kvasir and Gullveig, like @vikingsfan92 and I guessed, but Heidr is also cursed and probably is the main holder of the golden serpent curse, and you're supposed to shoot Seidr? ('Cause Goat Aunt tells you to, I guess?) Also, Njordr looks distressed. That said, the trailers aren't always super duper accurate in terms of details (Ash attacking with her cowbell polearm and never transforming, for example.) So, I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

Huh. I was so sure it would be Heidr (as were most people I know). She even has Gullveig's VA and "Gold Serpent" for her Assist skill! Maybe she was meant to be Gullveig but Nerthuz messed with the timeline or something and substituted Seidr instead? It's weird, but I think this is the first time a midpoint trailer has given us a mystery to consider instead of flat out spoiling stuff? I'm happy about that at least, and I hope we get to see this play out in-story soon!

57 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Huh. I was so sure it would be Heidr (as were most people I know). She even has Gullveig's VA and "Gold Serpent" for her Assist skill! Maybe she was meant to be Gullveig but Nerthuz messed with the timeline or something and substituted Seidr instead? It's weird, but I think this is the first time a midpoint trailer has given us a mystery to consider instead of flat out spoiling stuff? I'm happy about that at least, and I hope we get to see this play out in-story soon!

One thing the trailer did illustrate is what Kvasir already told us: that Gullveig becomes her. So, I think this is less "there are 2 timelines" and more "this is a time loop and this is how it happens." So, both Heidr and Seidr are cursed, but I think Seidr just has overflow from Heidr because Gullveig has snake hair and sand scars, but didn't go full serpent monster like Heidr did (except, I think, with a random human arm attached, if I'm remembering that right?)

So Kvasir, Seidr and Gullveig are the same person, and Heidr only carries the curse. And to me looks like Njordr is trying to contain the curse on Heidr or trying to cure here from this so not only he doesn't lose her (maybe he got attached to her) but also doesn't make Gullveig appear. Maybe he is not evil as I thought he would be.

However, I already read the story script and it gives more info about this all.

Spoiler

Heidr is actually a part of Gullveig... her other half... her dauther. So the daughter Seidr wanted to create with the Summoner is Heidr.

After destroying all Midgard in the future, as we see at the end of Book 7 Chapter 13-5, she creates Heidr and sends her to the past so she can live has Seidr's sister. Then she sends herself even more to the past to become Kvasir, so the cycle can continue.

So what I take from this is that the Golden Seer only becomes a thing when both Seidr and Heidr becomes one, Seidr being the body and Heidr being the curse.

During the story chapter, they realize what's going on between Seidr and Kvasir.

Oh holy dang goodness. So... Gullveig destroyed the summoner (and our world) in the future (after our "vision" at the beginning of the story, which was the end), stole some soul, and made Heidr, who is her kid with the summoner because of the stolen soul bit. Then she sent Heidr to be her sister in the past and rewound herself in order to become Kvasir in the further past. So... Uhhh yeah, those are some implications involving the summoner being..."used" and killed. And Gullveig cursed Heidr in the future in order to become cursed herself in the past in order to become Gullveig. So Gullveig really was the big bad all along...maybe. There's still more story to tell, but that's what it's looking like right now.

As for Njordr, I feel like we're going to learn more about/from him later. But who put this cycle into place? Seidr brings up a good point of wondering where the words in her heart came from. Could be from Heidr, Njordr, Goat Aunt, or the summoner. Hard to say right now, but that will probably be answered in the future. ... Like, our future, not the future portion of the story.

Edit:

@Diovani Bressan

Could be. Could also just be that by "other half" she means that Heidr's half her and half Kiran (because kids take genes from both parents.) I wasn't sure which way that was meant to be taken, so I decided to let it sit for now. IS doesn't always make text as meaningful as it first reads. I think the main thing about the curse, though, is what we've kind of known all along: it's really, really contagious. So, she infects Heidr who will then infect Seidr in the future to make her Gullveig, not that the two are literally two halves of Gullveig. Still, your theory could be correct. This is just an alternate interpretation, and we can't know which way IS will go until the story's done.

Edit again:

Happened to pull Heidr on my first ticket, dang. OK, Heidr. Guess I'll take custody here and protect you from your crazy mom (not that I consented to the process to make you.) Also, she's +spd, -atk. She doesn't want to fight, she just wants to run away, the poor thing.

Edited by Mercakete

Good lord, I typed up a crack theory just yesterday about Heiðr being our soul-child, despite Kvasir, Seiðr and Gullveig being more likely candidates even with the confirmation that they're all the same person. Though it wasn't a flawless theory, as it involved Gullveig wanting Heiðr dead due to our soul-child being a spanner in the works, rather than the situation we have now where 90% of Gullveig's plan hinges on Heiðr's existence.

Edited by Some Jerk

I'm with Sharena, my head's being tied in knots, so is Heidr is ours an Gullveig's child? That would make the opening more disturbing.

Theory: what if Alfador is behind Gullveig? Well, technically, as the creator God, he already is in some way, but we know it's not Njordr or Nerbuz, and the book as already introduced six characters, so it's probably not a new character.

4 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Could be. Could also just be that by "other half" she means that Heidr's half her and half Kiran (because kids take genes from both parents.) I wasn't sure which way that was meant to be taken, so I decided to let it sit for now. IS doesn't always make text as meaningful as it first reads. I think the main thing about the curse, though, is what we've kind of known all along: it's really, really contagious. So, she infects Heidr who will then infect Seidr in the future to make her Gullveig, not that the two are literally two halves of Gullveig. Still, your theory could be correct. This is just an alternate interpretation, and we can't know which way IS will go until the story's done.

The idea of Seidr and Heidr combining themselves in becoming Gullveig came from the Mid Book Trailer, where Heidr becomes a serpent woman monster. That, to me, it's the physical form of the curse. But it still needs a proper host... its other half, who is Seidr. As we see in the trailer, The Curse tries to "kill" Seidr (and when I say kill, I mean try to return to Seirdr to form Gullveig) but she is saved by the Summoner when they shoot her with the Breidablik. By the way, I am starting to think that this Breidablik that shoot Seidr may be the Shiny Breidablik that Kvasir found in Chapter 2-3. The second Breidablik has a golden light, that could be the key to counter the curse.

So maybe the final boss of this book is not the person Gullveig but the Gullveig in curse form as we see in the trailer, as a Beast Unit form perhaps... that will not become playable after the book ends (a Dragon Fáfnir situation).

58 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

The idea of Seidr and Heidr combining themselves in becoming Gullveig came from the Mid Book Trailer, where Heidr becomes a serpent woman monster. That, to me, it's the physical form of the curse. But it still needs a proper host... its other half, who is Seidr. As we see in the trailer, The Curse tries to "kill" Seidr (and when I say kill, I mean try to return to Seirdr to form Gullveig) but she is saved by the Summoner when they shoot her with the Breidablik. By the way, I am starting to think that this Breidablik that shoot Seidr may be the Shiny Breidablik that Kvasir found in Chapter 2-3. The second Breidablik has a golden light, that could be the key to counter the curse.

So maybe the final boss of this book is not the person Gullveig but the Gullveig in curse form as we see in the trailer, as a Beast Unit form perhaps... that will not become playable after the book ends (a Dragon Fáfnir situation).

The major issue with your theory as stated is that Heidr is the curse. However, she was created as her own person, and has her own opinion about things. If she was the curse itself, how she behaves would reflect the curse's own aggression more. Plus, the curse has shown to cause Heidr physical pain and unhealth (especially shown during the "present" arc). If it was just a process of coming into its own power instead of needing to overcome a host (like a disease or parasite), then it would be becoming more healthy, not less. Plus, the mechanics of creating a child was already shared with the player. So, Heidr is not the curse, but is certainly a carrier of it. (Unless you have a counter explanation that makes sense with all these points.) However, is she still half of Gullveig in a more literal sense than just being her kid? That's not been clearly stated yet.

Regarding Briedablik, it's not surprising that it needs to get a new power in order to beat the big bad (this has happened several times before, most notably (to me) in books 2 and 3.) Just basing things off the trailer (which isn't always meant to be taken literally -- it uses a lot of metaphor) it's Goat Aunt who gives Briedablik that power when she guides the summoner's hand. To echo a theory that's been said by someone else on here in the past, the glowing Briedablik Kvasir has in the past is probably a memento she kept from the summoner in the future after killing him. So, Briedablik hasn't been empowered by Goat Aunt yet, but will, and is why the glowing one is also present in the past.

On that note, I'm still suspicious of Njordr. The one who gave Seidr the instruction to make Heidr (though he only told her to make a kid) was Njordr. Plus, the Ar (where Seidr got her time powers) was his. Additionally, Goat Aunt's power seems to be able to counteract the golden serpent curse (if only because she seems to be the source of this book's Briedablik power-up McGuffin, and, 1. the shot fired at Seidr in the midpoint trailer seemed to have had a repelling effect on the golden snake monster, and 2. the golden serpent curse is our main obstacle right now, and Briedablik is usually the key to beating that somehow.), and her powers directly counterbalance Njordr's (being gods of the earth and sea and hinting at their duality already.) Breaking that point down, if the power that directly opposes the Golden Serpent Curse is Goat Aunt's, then the Golden Serpent Curse is Njordr's power because his power is the opposite of Goat Aunt's. The main argument against this theory is the midpoint trailer showing Njorder looking like he's trying to heal Heidr and is ultimately unable to, and is very broken up about it. That's all interpretation, though, and again, these trailers aren't always completely true to how the stories actually wind up playing out. These are just things making me think in that direction, though, so of course, we can't know for sure until the whole story is out there.

Hey, at least people are engaging en masse with the story this time around! As confused as some may be, I don't think that could be said of past stories!

I'm quite impressed with how IS trolled those of us who looked up the Norse inspirations beforehand. There, Heidr is another name for Gullveig and Seidr is the type of magic she created, yet here it's the other way around. Credit where it's due, that was sneaky; I hope we see more subversions like that going forward!

I'm curious how everything will unfold going forward. It'll be really easy to mess up, but I'm sure the end result will be fun to examine all the same, even if people don't end up liking it 🙂

doing chapter 4 then 5 as numbered didn't have a flow to them, I assume that golden pillar was Heithor

even knowing we're going to create a child who's also the final boss according to chapter 13, oddly right now I'm still curious why chapter 5 and 13 don't have particle effects, based on the wording from this chapter, it seems 5 would be a new beginning.

and I'm suspicious of Ar, why Nerpuz was holding it, but also gave it up very easily, and everything about Njoror just feels wrong. 

Spoiler

So it looks like instead of daughter we voted the mother of plot baby as cyl. 

I am very much interested in seeing where this goes and hope IS doesnt fumble this up.  Also I feel like Gullveig winning cyl just feels right with all that's going on. Hope it encourages IS to take some more risks with their stories not just in heroes but the next game as well.

Edit: also a random thought if we go with the we don't trust Njordr theory what if Heior creation was the cause of the loop and he is using this loop to his ends somehow or hoping to at any rate. 

The main argument against this theory is the midpoint trailer showing Njorder looking like he's trying to heal Heidr and is ultimately unable to, and is very broken up about it. That's all interpretation, though, and again, these trailers aren't always completely true to how the stories actually wind up playing out. These are just things making me think in that direction, though, so of course, we can't know for sure until the whole story is out there.

@Merckate since I couldnt just insert this quote for some reason. Could be his plan is Heior in some shape or form and her disappearing is his plan going up in shambles. 

Edited by vikingsfan92

@vikingsfan92

(Not sure why it's in spoilertags but I'll follow suit.)

Spoiler

As has been pointed out, making Heidr is an essential part of Gullveig coming into being. Kvasir is almost single-minded in her determination to "become Gullveig," and though Gullveig herself seems to be operating independently on the surface, she's going about her job in a really detached way. She talks about inevitability a lot, like she doesn't have a choice but to be as she is, but she's also the one who consciously destroyed the world, killed everyone, made Heidr, and sent herself back into the past to a point where she, herself "unwinds" and becomes Kvasir again. Heidr's whole purpose is to infect Seidr with the golden serpent curse. Is this Gullveig's plan? I think it's the plan she's following, yes, but everything still points to Njordr, I think. One constant all 3 timeline forms have is obedience. Gullveig is obedient to her fate, Kvasir is obedient to her task of becoming Gullveig, and the one that I think shines the most light on this whole situation is this: Seidr is completely obedient to Njordr. If all three forms are following the task he gave them, everything falls into place and makes sense on the whole. Plus, they got their time powers from his Ar, when Seidr absorbed it, and all this was according to his instruction (including the order to make a kid.) He could have this time loop going on as a stopgap to prevent Ragnarok. After all, if the world keeps ending in this time loop, then time can't progress, and humanity can't overthrow the gods. Especially since Freyr was killed and Freyja was made comatose by humans (and they may have been his kids since his sister is their aunt) he may be voluntarily taking a more active role in stopping them. Plus, in the past, Goat Aunt warned the Askrans about how much danger they were in, being mortals and coming into his realm, but his attitude was totally different from what she described when the Askrans came to his realm in the present (even with Seidr guiding them.) It sure looks like he's controlling the pace of things. Everything keeps coming back to him being the architect (even if it's actually Alfador who tasked Njordr with taking care of the regnarok prevention, as the case may be, which would lead nicely into an attack on Alfador himself in the next book.)

Something I forgot to say was that I was pleased to see the reference to the snake eating its tail/pair of snakes eating each other's tails in this chapter. It's a symbol of infinity, in a way: complete cycles. It was clearly the inspiration for this story, too, not only because of the Golden Serpent curse, but because of the time loop and inevitability themes. So, no worries, @DefyingFates, there's still some mythology they're sticking to. 😉