FE Smash Rep ideas

Tempest Trials

Yes, I'm aware that "FE has too many reps" (So does Pokemon, my god) and smash is done with adding characters. But I'd like to see what FE characters you'd like for Super Smash Bros.

For me, personally, I would like to see:

• Hector (FE: Blazing Blade)
  • Anna (Almost all of FE)
  • Alm {Legendary Version from Heroes} (FE: Echoes)
  • Gaius (Assist trophy) (FE: Awakening)
  • Kiran (FE:H)
  • Alfonse (FE:H)
  • Lif (FE:H)

The List goes on

Edited by Teabox Gremlin VA

• 1 month later...

If more Fire Emblem characters were to be added for Smash, here are the 10 Fire Emblem characters I would like to see in Smash:

1. Stefan (Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn)
2. Tibarn (Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn)
3. Petrine (Path of Radiance)
4. Titania (Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn)
5. Catherine (Three Houses)
6. Lon'qu (Awakening)
7. Kamui (Gaiden)
8. Camilla (Fates)
9. Leif (Thracia 776)
10. Alear (Engage)

Personally, I was disappointed that it was Byleth in Smash as opposed to, well, any of the three lords from 3H. Especially either Edelgard or Dimitri. Claude sounds kinda cool at first, but a pure archer in Smash doesn't seem like it would be fun to play as or against the more I think about it. I struggle to even think of what half the moveset would be, in fact. More than anything, though, I would've preferred Edelgard. It may be bias from her being one of my favorite FE characters, but I think a slow but short superheavy with disjointed attacks would be really fun.

My suggestion is that they use the Fire Emblem classes as bases for movesets and have each costume be a different, preferably notable, character of that class. For example, the Myrmidon costumes could include Navarre, Ayra, Lyn, Lon'qu, and Owain, while the Fighters could include Barst, Boyd, Vaike, Arthur, and Charlotte.

On 1/26/2023 at 5:18 PM, FlamesOfRagnell said:

Personally, I was disappointed that it was Byleth in Smash as opposed to, well, any of the three lords from 3H. Especially either Edelgard or Dimitri. Claude sounds kinda cool at first, but a pure archer in Smash doesn't seem like it would be fun to play as or against the more I think about it. I struggle to even think of what half the moveset would be, in fact. More than anything, though, I would've preferred Edelgard. It may be bias from her being one of my favorite FE characters, but I think a slow but short superheavy with disjointed attacks would be really fun.

Personally, I think the best option would've been something sort-of like Pokémon Trainer: Byleth is in the background giving instructions while Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri are rotated. The rotation could be contextualized as being done using a divine pulse. Edelgard would be a small, heavy fighter that hits hard with axes and magic, Dimitri would be a large fighter that uses lances, and Claude would be a fast archer with tricks up his sleeve.

I think it's safe to say that the next FE character in Smash Bros. will probably be Alear, which is a shame: they are yet another fairly basic swordfighter with their unique quirk being that they have allies who are echoes of characters from past FE games... some of whom are fighters in Smash Bros. They don't even have a dragon form that could provide interesting gameplay despite Engage reflexively insisting on calling Alear a dragon, and, even if they did, Corrin's abilities in Smash Bros. revolve around their dragon form, so Alear would still struggle to carve out their own niche.

As for who I would actually like to see as a fighter in Smash Bros., that would be Micaiah. Light magic, staves and potentially having Sothe assist would be pretty cool.

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Personally, I think the best option would've been something sort-of like Pokémon Trainer: Byleth is in the background giving instructions while Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri are rotated. The rotation could be contextualized as being done using a divine pulse. Edelgard would be a small, heavy fighter that hits hard with axes and magic, Dimitri would be a large fighter that uses lances, and Claude would be a fast archer with tricks up his sleeve.

I think it's safe to say that the next FE character in Smash Bros. will probably be Alear, which is a shame: they are yet another fairly basic swordfighter with their unique quirk being that they have allies who are echoes of characters from past FE games... some of whom are fighters in Smash Bros. They don't even have a dragon form that could provide interesting gameplay despite Engage reflexively insisting on calling Alear a dragon, and, even if they did, Corrin's abilities in Smash Bros. revolve around their dragon form, so Alear would still struggle to carve out their own niche.

As for who I would actually like to see as a fighter in Smash Bros., that would be Micaiah. Light magic, staves and potentially having Sothe assist would be pretty cool.

The trio idea is a cool one that has been passed around for a while as well, but I don't think it was ever feasible to expect. The only time we got a ">1 in 1" DLC fighter is Pyra/Mythra, and they share many animations and similar moves. To have three fundamentally different fighters in one--all with utterly unique animations and movesets--would take, well, three times as long as the average fighter. They never would have done that for a DLC fighter that is (a) meant to release on a schedule and (b) the same price as the rest of the DLC. Maaaaybe if it was a base game fighter they would have considered it, but otherwise, it was never gonna happen.

I did always like the Micaiah idea to fill the pure mage niche, but that ship unfortunately sailed around 15 years ago.

10 minutes ago, FlamesOfRagnell said:

The trio idea is a cool one that has been passed around for a while as well, but I don't think it was ever feasible to expect. The only time we got a ">1 in 1" DLC fighter is Pyra/Mythra, and they share many animations and similar moves. To have three fundamentally different fighters in one--all with utterly unique animations and movesets--would take, well, three times as long as the average fighter. They never would have done that for a DLC fighter that is (a) meant to release on a schedule and (b) the same price as the rest of the DLC. Maaaaybe if it was a base game fighter they would have considered it, but otherwise, it was never gonna happen.

I did always like the Micaiah idea to fill the pure mage niche, but that ship unfortunately sailed around 15 years ago.

Oh, I don't think it was necessarily feasible either. I'm just saying that it would've been the ideal way to have Three Houses representation in Smash Bros.

The Micaiah in Smash Bros. ship never sailed; sailing would imply it ever had a moment in the harbour. Brawl was before adding anything from Radiant Dawn would've been feasible, and 4 was after Awakening. Micaiah never had a chance.

What did you think of the problems I pointed out with the idea of Alear as a fighter in Smash Bros.?

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

Oh, I don't think it was necessarily feasible either. I'm just saying that it would've been the ideal way to have Three Houses representation in Smash Bros.

I have to say I agree. It would be undeniably awesome to just have all three xD

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

The Micaiah in Smash Bros. ship never sailed; sailing would imply it ever had a moment in the harbour. Brawl was before adding anything from Radiant Dawn would've been feasible, and 4 was after Awakening. Micaiah never had a chance.

It's a sad reality we live in! Maybe if the next FE has a really popular mage character, or even a mage main character (gasp), we'll have a chance at something similar.

2 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

What did you think of the problems I pointed out with the idea of Alear as a fighter in Smash Bros.?

I haven't played Engage yet (probably won't get to it for a long time if I'm being honest) but based on what you said, they don't really fit a role that isn't taken up by at least one other fighter (or even more than one, haha). If there needs to be an Engage rep in the next SSB, I would instead hope for one of the supporting characters. Of which I know nothing about, lol.

1 minute ago, FlamesOfRagnell said:

I have to say I agree. It would be undeniably awesome to just have all three xD

It's a sad reality we live in! Maybe if the next FE has a really popular mage character, or even a mage main character (gasp), we'll have a chance at something similar.

I haven't played Engage yet (probably won't get to it for a long time if I'm being honest) but based on what you said, they don't really fit a role that isn't taken up by at least one other fighter (or even more than one, haha). If there needs to be an Engage rep in the next SSB, I would instead hope for one of the supporting characters. Of which I know nothing about, lol.

Thanks.

Another mage lord would potentially be really cool.

I haven't played Engage yet either; I just know that Alear, despite being a dragon, spends the whole game in human form and is instead built around using the emblem rings.

17 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Alear, despite being a dragon, spends the whole game in human form and is instead built around using the emblem rings.

Being centered around the rings makes sense, but it does indeed seem odd to not have an actual dragon form of any kind...even if it was just during basic attacks or something.

3 hours ago, FlamesOfRagnell said:

Being centered around the rings makes sense, but it does indeed seem odd to not have an actual dragon form of any kind...even if it was just during basic attacks or something.

I don't get it either. Between that and Corrin's dragon form only being relevant in chapter 5 and then never brought up again, I can't help but get the feeling that IS are the only fantasy storytellers/game developers in the world that think that dragons are somehow boring, despite dragons being in every FE game.

But yeah; the only way for Alear to have a dragon form in Engage is apparently to use the Tiki Emblem, which a) is DLC, and b) gives anyone who equips it a dragon form.

• 5 months later...

Personally, for the entire series, I would go with:

1. Marth (debuts in 64, along with the other three cut characters Bowser, Dedede and Mewtwo; moveset remains the same)

2. Lyn (debuts in Brawl; moveset involves a mix of swords and bow)

3. Ike (debuts in Brawl; moveset is mostly unchanged, but now Ike’s Smash attacks involve Urvan)

4. Chrom (debuts in Sm4sh; moveset is completely different from Marth’s, being a mix of swords and lances. Lucina is also an alternate costume with her own 8 palette swaps.)

5. Azura (debuts in Sm4sh as DLC; moveset involves a mix of lance, dance and water bending)

6. Byleth (debuts in Ultimate; moveset remains unchanged)