Nozomi Kasaki

F7B644AC-9F7A-438B-A015-C5418D84B6AE.jpeg.93a40a5f957e33c57e9fb07301d8dc90.jpeg

Hey guys. I just found this military isekai novel called Nihonkoku Shoukan (日本国召喚) or Japan Summons/Summoning Japan.  It is basically like GATE, but instead of an interdimensional portal appearing in the middle of Japan, the entire country was apparently isekai'd to another world. It is written by someone named Minorou-san. The story is still not finished and is still ongoing to this day.

SYPNOSIS

In the Great Orient, lies the continent called Rodenius.

One day, an unidentified flying object arrived at Qua-Toyne Principality’s airspace. The unidentified flying object defied the Principality’s common sense. But that unidentified flying object was just a harbinger of something even more shocking.

Far to the eastern sea, a group of islands suddenly appeared. The country of the islands called itself: Japan. According to them, their nation had been transported to another world.

Now finding themselves separated from their old world and must survive in the new one, how will Japan interact with the native countries of this world? Will they greet her as a friend or as an enemy?

This is a story of the country called Japan as it was engulfed in the chaotic storm of the world.

ENGLISH TRANSLATIONS

Unfortunately, the story is Japanese only and it doesn't seem like it would be released overseas anytime soon. So unless you can travel to Japan and understand Japanese, you won't be able to read the novel.

However there are some fan translations for this story that you can find on the internet which would help people understand the dialogues and story better. However, only most of the story was translated, so you would have to wait for the translators to finish the rest.

You must take note that the story is told through the Web Novel, Light Novel, and Manga. Three of them already have some translations, but as I have mentioned, they still haven't translated the entire story yet.

Here are some links to the Web Novel translations:

Mob of Deer

Hana Bara Hana

AvianTL

And here are some links to the Light Novel translations:

Yukkuri Free Time Literature Service

Hana Bara Hana (Light Novel Version)

And lastly, here is the link to the Manga translation:

Nihonkoku Shoukan - MangaDex

NON-TRANSLATED STORY 

If you can understand Japanese just fine, then you can always check out the raw manga and web novel. Unfortunately, I don't have the Light Novel, so I cannot provide you the Japanese Version of the Light Novel.

Raw Manga:

ComicWalker

Raw Web Novel:

Syosetu

FAN WIKI

Alternatively, if you don't want to read the entire story to know about the places, characters, and events that takes place in the story, just browse to the fan wiki.

Just note that some information on the Wiki are pretty inaccurate, but the wiki is your best bet if you want to know about the tiny bits of lore of Nihonkoku Shoukan without reading the entire story.

Here is the link to the Fan Wiki:

Nihonkoku Shoukan Wiki

If you want to read this military isekai, just click on the links of the LN/WN/Manga of Nihonkoku Shoukan (either the translated story, or the raws.) Once you are done, please share your thoughts about it. I would like to hear your thoughts about this story.

(Also sorry for my terrible English)

Oh I know this story! It's been a while since anyone talks about it. Though I've only read up to the part where

Spoiler

the antagonistic empire defeats a Japanese patrol boat, 

and I'm not really good at writing out my thoughts, but I will try my best.

• This novel is unique that it does not follow a set of characters, but rather tells events through multiple POV, although there are still some recurring characters (like the Japanese ambassador iirc). I actually quite like this way of storytelling, as the events and story are given more focus without being sidetracked by characters' hijinks. It also gives the feel that everything happens because of many, many people, not just a few main ones, which feels a little more realistic. But speaking of realistic...
  • The worldbuilding is... weird, to say the least, in my opinion. There is a part of the world where people are still fighting with swords and bows and stuff, while in another part, technology has reached WW1 level. And there are evidence of technology exchange, though deliberately limited. Fantasy races exist, but not important to the story, at least after the first arc. 

All in all, I definitely recommend this novel for anyone who likes the "barbarian slaughtering" part of GATE, but don't expect memorable characters, since there is none. I think the problem is that the author is trying to make the world too big, which leads to many plot holes. Think about it, while GATE only deals with one empire and a part of the JSDF, here this novel let all of Japan go against the whole new world. The scale is bigger, but not necessarily better.

• 1 month later...

I know this story. I've read the manga only though. So my opinion will be limited on the manga adaptation

My thought: I actually prefer Gate a little bit over this, if not for the fact Gate author like to shoehorned a lot of fanservice between the serious moment. What this story lack is detailed life of population and their culture like Gate. What it lacks in depth, it makes up for scales. The world is very mixed between fantasy and technological advances of normal world.

some point that i notice:

• The story acknowledge that while they had upper hand in techonoly, the Japan practically been cut off from trade and will soon face lacks of resource. So they need to establosh good relation fast
  • There are hints of isekai'd countries other than japan, or at least modern japan. But the story hasnt touch upon that deeply. This could be interesting
  • The story is more or less like gate in terms of seriousness theres even gore and cruel act, but minus the blatant/intrusive fanservice (which is good imo)
  • The world "conveniently" divided between continents that somehow has increased technological advantage the further they are from the Japan transfer point. But how almost no one questions this, is weird. This is like a setup to traditional adventure game where the enemy got stronger further you go