Progress tips for Conquest Hard

SonneSunshine

Hello! 😄

I've been playing Conquest for a while, but I got stuck a few times...

Then I gave up and restarted the game! But I'm still having problems to progress 😕

I don't want to restart again, so I was curious about what people think of my team and what could I do to improve it!

My team had some early promotions for chapter 13 (Effie, Beruka, Arthur and Silas if I remember right) and Silas married Effie. Besides this the only pairing I'm interested is F!Corrin and Laslow because of strong Soleil ☺️ Any other pairing suggestion is okay.

Last thing I tried to do was doing Invasion 2 to train Mozu and get Astra on Corrin, but I can't survive South enemies after a few rounds...

Here is the save file for an easier visualization, Save 1 was the abandoned run and Save 2 is the one I need suggestions:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/t6wc0fiivkx5klk/2022_Fates.rar/file

Any suggestion that doesn't involve online or dlc (even the free ones) are fine! I'll wait to do the extra content after the endgame 😄

First, I don't have an emulator, so I can't do a thing about that save file.  Instead, answer this.  First, what difficulty is this on?  Second, who else are you using besides the units you early promoted?

Thanks for the answer 😄

I'm playing on Hard! And the units I've been using more are:

-Corrin (Swordmaster lv4)

-Silas (Paladin lv2)

-Beruka (Wyvern Lord lv4)

-Jakob (Paladin lv19)

-Elise (Wyvern Rider lv17)

-Laslow (Mercenary lv15) started to level him now to marry Corrin

-Niles (Outlaw lv18)

-Effie (General lv5)

-Azura (Dancer)

-Felicia (Maid lv15)

-Kaze (Ninja lv16)

-Arthur (Berserker lv3)

-Camilla (Malig Knight lv7)

If you need more info about some units, I can print their stats. I just thought it was too much to post all photos at once 😅

Unless you really need the magic, class change Camilla to Wyvern Lord.  She wants to work on her lance rank sooner than later.  Second, promote Niles, he gets staves on promotion, and I remember running dual healers when I went through Conquest.  Third, it looks like you're doing that Elise thing, in which case promote her right after Niles, because you're way short on mages.  Lastly, I strongly suggest going Bow Knight with Laslow's promotion.  Bows are good for later chapters.

Dunno how I feel about Jakob, he's decent but I think he should be dropped once you get Xander.

Thanks for the tips! ☺️

I was thinking about making Laslow a bow knight because Soleil also starts as Merc, but was not so sure 🤔

And a healer is certainly welcome! Felicia needs some help when healing, so getting an adventurer would be good!

I liked Paladin Jakob because he can go far to Shelter and apply Gentilhomme

Conquest is doable, even on Lunatic, with essentially any team. Sure, some teams are more "optimal" than others, but you don't need to carve through everything with Xander or Wyvern Lord Camilla (who is better than Malig Knight Camilla, but honestly not that much better). Some general tips to make any team, optimal or not, work better are the following:

• Check enemy stats. Look for thresholds to one-round various enemy types on the map or survive a certain number of encounters. Conquest generally has enemies in "blocks" of similar types, where one unit meeting the threshold to kill one of them usually means they can kill all of them. This is especially important when facing enemies with Seal skills, poison strike, or lunge- they can be absolutely devastating but only take effect if the enemy survives.
  • Stack stats. Rallies, meals, tonics, Inspiring Song, auras like Gentilhomme and Inspiration- they all help you reach the aforementioned critical benchmarks, and the amount of stats they can provide makes even impossible seeming benchmarks very reachable.
  • Don't be afraid to use attack stance. Pair-up bonuses can definitely help you reach certain benchmarks, but it can often be easier to kill with a dual strike than to get enough speed to double. Not only that, but you'll have more actions per turn when you end your turn unpaired, which can be critical to clear large numbers of enemies. If you have 10 units and 6 enemies clustered around them, you'll only be able to take out 5 if your whole army is paired up. Attack stance also lets you gain more experience and weapon rank than you'd otherwise be able to do.
  • Spare Shura. This is the 100% guaranteed-to-succeed absolute MVP strat that all the real pros use.
34 minutes ago, SonneSunshine said:

And a healer is certainly welcome! Felicia needs some help when healing, so getting an adventurer would be good!

Thankfully, there is a certain black-and-white-haired character who happens to be both an adventurer and the best character in the game, so you should definitely do that.

Thank you! 😊

Checking enemy's stats is something that I usually forget when it matters 😢 (that with steel that can one shot the unit I left exposed).

And Shura was amazing! He helped me a lot in the ninja cave 😋

Meals are okay, but I get afraid of using tonics wrong and wasting money 😕 

4 minutes ago, SonneSunshine said:

Checking enemy's stats is something that I usually forget when it matters 😢 (that with steel that can one shot the unit I left exposed).
Meals are okay, but I get afraid of using tonics wrong and wasting money 😕 

That's very understandable, but that's also why I think checking enemy stats and figuring out the benchmarks I needed to meet was so helpful for me. I worry a lot about wasting resources that way, but if you know you need to get a unit to +8 strength and they only get to +7 from other sources, tonics are a reliable way to clear the gap.

2 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

if you know you need to get a unit to +8 strength and they only get to +7 from other sources, tonics are a reliable way to clear the gap.

This makes it easier to calculate 😆

When trying to beat a map you write your approaches to optimize (not necessarily  a perfect optimization, just good enough) or do you just keep trying until it works?

Planning is my weakness in srpg and it's something I'm trying to fix 😅 (it's one of the reasons I made this thread)

3 hours ago, SonneSunshine said:

-Elise (Wyvern Rider lv17)

Why did you do that? That reeks of shooting yourself in the foot.

-Arthur (Berserker lv3)

I'd personally avoid Arthur like the plague. Same for the Berserker class in general. You see, Arthur has Really. Bad. Luck. (Which is brought up by Elise when you're introduced to him; it's a very annoying spot of gameplay and story integration.) Which means he is perpetually at risk of enemy crits. Oh, and his shitstain of a personal skill doesn't help, as it lowers his crit evade. The same is true of the Berserker class. Which means Berserker Arthur is a VERY high risk unit with very low reward.

-Camilla (Malig Knight lv7)

I'd change her to Wyvern Lord and never look back. Hybrid classes like Malig Knight tend to be mediocre at best. Especially knowing that most units cannot use both strength and magic well.

6 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Why did you do that? That reeks of shooting yourself in the foot.

It's easier for her to join combat (both for the mov and def) and use her personal skill 😄

6 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I'd personally avoid Arthur like the plague.

I heard he could be good besides the luck, so I gave the Goddess icon to him 😟

7 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I'd change her to Wyvern Lord and never look back.

Okay! ☺️

13 minutes ago, SonneSunshine said:

It's easier for her to join combat (both for the mov and def) and use her personal skill 😄

It's also a very easy way to turn a useful unit into a useless one. 😞

16 minutes ago, SonneSunshine said:

I heard he could be good besides the luck, so I gave the Goddess icon to him 😟

Unfortunately, doing so changes... absolutely nothing, all because of his personal skill.

15 minutes ago, SonneSunshine said:

Now I remember using him less because he died a lot by crits 😢

But at least he could help with pair up ☺️

Everyone can help with pair up, so that's nothing special, to be honest.

On training Mozu: She ain't worth it, to be blunt.

On marrying units: You're better off doing so before chapter 19. For you see, enemy units' levels in paralogues scale as you proceed through the story, unlike was the case in Awakening (if you played that). After chapter 18 is complete, the enemies in paralogues all promote (with the exception of Faceless). This makes them radically harder.

Edited by Shadow Mir

5 minutes ago, SonneSunshine said:

Marrying them or doing the paralogues?

I heard that if you do it later you can save promoting items, as the children get the offspring seal 🤔

The paralogues.

Offspring Seals ain't worth it, to be blunt. Especially when some paralogues are flat out poorly designed for lategame play. They're more of a trap.

19 minutes ago, SonneSunshine said:

Oh... 😢

I was going to do Sophie's paralogue, but Silas doesn't have a good skill to pass yet so I decided to do it later. I'm still at the Black and White chapter 🤔

Personally, inheritance isn't something to stress over in this game; there's nothing super-duper amazing that you can only get through inheritance. Skill-wise.

16 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Why

Oh yeah, I didn't even notice, but it seems you performed the pseudo-secret incantation to summon Seethow Mald.

18 hours ago, SonneSunshine said:

When trying to beat a map you write your approaches to optimize (not necessarily  a perfect optimization, just good enough) or do you just keep trying until it works?

That depends on what you mean by "just keep trying". I don't fish for good RNG, and I recommend you don't either, because it really wears on ones patience and energy. I certainly do a lot of refining for my strategies across resets though. Were I a better player, I could probably figure out a reliable strategy ahead of time and execute it after just one or two tries.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I don't fish for good RNG, and I recommend you don't either

Yeah, I heard that it's only okay if it has a good chance and it's at the start of the battle (like hitting a 75% attack). 

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I certainly do a lot of refining for my strategies across resets though.

Yes, I was talking about this xD

Do you usually write your actions to have a whole view of where to fix things or you just keep changing approaches turn by turn until it works?

I'm curious since I saw someone saying that they spent hours trying to beat a conquest chapter that was considered very hard, but for me there were many points where I got stuck for weeks... (or months in some cases!)

21 hours ago, SonneSunshine said:

Yes, I was talking about this xD

Do you usually write your actions to have a whole view of where to fix things or you just keep changing approaches turn by turn until it works?

I'm curious since I saw someone saying that they spent hours trying to beat a conquest chapter that was considered very hard, but for me there were many points where I got stuck for weeks... (or months in some cases!)

Yeah, in that case, while I try to plan a little bit ahead, it usually is "turn by turn" revisions. This might be one of the reasons I get stuck on chapters for too long. Though one general piece of advice to break through difficult chapters is to concentrate your forces more- a lot of Conquest maps make it seem appealing to spread your army into multiple squadrons, but it's generally easier if you move your army in one giant carpet.