8 Minute Gameplay and Mechanic Video

Dandy Druid

Wanted to share this on here. There's not much new information, but we do get a glimpse of what characters look like in different classes. I found this one really enjoyable to watch. Would appreciate one of our super sleuths to analyze it further!

I actually made a rather long winded post about new things seen in the trailer over on the subreddit, but for major points of interest:

• 'Over 30 companions', probably means not quite 40 (remember we already have 30 confirmed allies not counting Alear).
  • Unit profiles come in a notebook form in this game; there's a cute little seal with something representative of the unit on their pages:
    • Framme's birthday is 3/10 (month/date). Her seal has her jar of... pebbles?
    • Alfred's birthday is 8/8. His seal is his cravat brooch. His bio also mentions that he (along with Etie and Boucheron) provide support when the Lythos Castle comes under attack (as we've seen).
    • Etie's birthday is 10/1. Her seal is her tiara.
  • Levin Sword has its usual 1~2 range and magic damage.
  • There are Fabrications in the Lythos Castle grounds, in what appears to be the tutorial map (and later on we see an enemy sword using Lumera, maybe holding the Liberation?), which definitely makes me confident that their silver / blue color palette is intentionally referencing their allegiance to Lythos.
  • Framme as Master Monk uses a very high tier Arts called 覇神の体術 ('Overlord Arts'?) to destroy a Corrupted Dragon.
  • Unyielding (Marth's 3rd Sync Skill) is busted; at base level, if at the start of Player Phase you're at less than 20% HP, you recover 20% of max HP. (This is going to be rather degenerate in combination with Roy's Endure, isn't it?)
  • The bridge map where we face Hortensia is Chapter 7, 闇の紋章士 ('Emblems of Darkness'). Alcryst / Lapis / Citrinne are green units at the battle start. Interestingly Anna's already been recruited before this point.
  • Yunaka has S dagger rank as a Thief. Her personal skill is 殺しの技術 ('The Art of Killing') so this doesn't feel like it bodes well for classical assassins appearing.
  • The name of the boss Kagetsu kills off in the nighttime Solm map called テッツイ ('Tetsui', though this could be just 'Hammer' if localised lol).
  • During the 'unit type' overview, when mages are shown off (via Pandreo), we see Seadall is a green unit and getting assaulted by Corrupted Axe Fighters.
  • Diamant's promoted class seems to be called 'Successor'. We already know it has axe proficiency. Also, the enemy lance ?General he faces isn't broken by the Hammer despite weapon disadvantage.
  • Peshkatz is an A rank, 1 range only dagger. COmpared with Steel Dagger, it has 5 Mt / 5 Hit / 15 Crt more, at the cost of being heavy enough to tank Yunaka's Spd by 3 and Avo by 6.
  • In the section regarding Skirmishes, it appears the bridge chapter takes place at the Granseur Bridge. You can see what resources you can get (acorns and wheat seem to be new, as is the Elyos Pigeon).
  • Alfred's Avenir promotion is A lances (which is disappointing) and B swords, and described as 'A prince who gallantly rides across the battlefield atop a white steed. Skilled with the sword in addition to the lance.'
    • The Avenir class skill, Golden Lotus, has a Dex% chance to halve physical damage received.
  • Diamant's Successor class has interestingly S swords and A axes, but is that due to a natural sword talent? We see him equipped with a Brave Sword.
  • Chloe's Griffin Knight class has S lances and C staves (same question regarding her lance talent and weapon rank here). The class skill is 移動補助 ('Movement Aid') but without a description it's not clear what this means. Her inventory is interesting for having, apart from a Brave Lance, a Rewarp staff (5 uses) and a Flame Lance.
  • Boucheron's Berserker class has S axes (expected), but no class skill unlocked for whatever reason. He's using a Brave Axe (!), but more interestingly is the odd Wind Greataxe below the cavalry-effective Poleaxe
  • Clanne's Sage class (with an interesting shirtless design) has S tomes and B staves. He has Bolganone equipped and a Thoron on hand, along with Mend. Also, no class skill.
  • We then see Anna in Warrior which has A axes and B bows. She class changes to an axe using Wolf Knight. The Wolf Knight Axe crit is different to the ?dagger one Merrin uses.
  • The Paladin classes have Pivot as their class skill (functioning like in FEH), while the Wolf Knight's class skill is 足狙い ('Targeting Feet') which drops the target's Mov by 2 for a turn after an attack.
  • Lapis gains Support with Celine both on the bridge map, and in the Solmese royal courtyard. Celine's promoted class seems to be called 'Florage', and her character sprite may have a more ornate crown? We then see a very brief snippet of a support conversation between them.
    • Other confirmed supports include Amber/Seadall (which we've seen already), Alfred/Etie (not unexpected), and Ivy/Hortensia (ditto).
  • Celine still enjoys her teatime even while critting with the Levin Sword as a Florage. The animation is quite different to her Noble sword crit.
  • Citrinne has a similar Sage getup as Clanne does, thankfully with cloth covering the bust region.
  • First look at a Chain Guard in action. From earlier, Framme has 18HP, so 20% of this is 3.6 -> rounded down to 3. I don't know why she bothered to Chain Guard given that Vander wouldn't have taken any damage though...
  • Jade becomes an axe using Griffin Knight, though not surprising given that I think that Griffins are Falcoknight replacements. Her Poleaxe crit launches the enemy Elusian lance cavalry way into the air which is comically morbid.
  • Sage Chloe is using the third tier Surge spell called Nova. Love the animation. Interestingly it doesn't have infinite hit nor 1 range locking.
  • Finally, on the FE6 Ch 21 throwback, We see Swordmaster Lapis during the Chain Attack with a colonial inspired outfit?

Not gonna lie, Alcryst and Chloe (seemingly) getting unique outfits while reclassed makes me more inclined to try it out on later playthoughts.

I am sure it was confirmed elsewhere, but glad to see that aggro-lines are returning.

Glossary looks to be the 3Ds era version, with a short description, birthday and likely "the most *blank* in the army" bit.

1 hour ago, tipperthescales said:

I actually made a rather long winded post about new things seen in the trailer over on the subreddit, but for major points of interest:

I've been in awe of all the information you provided for the community. I always look for your comment when I'm on reddit lol!

The sage design is really interesting. Usually sages are pretty covered up. The new design reminds me of dark mages more than sages.

The only differences I see in Celine's Florage design is that there's an added white part to her top, and the gown + crown have more details on it. Alfred's and Ivy's promoted classes look the least changed to me. They just added bigger flowers to their headwear.

Now why do do Sages look like that jdjdjdjdjd Gonna make Vander a Sage come hell or high water. Guess we know why Griss looks the way he does, it's just what Sages look like lol.

The video was really interesting, though I am surprised it dropped now rather than when twitter was up to date with all the emblems and units from the website. It was overall a great overview of the game and its mechanics and has made me 10x more excited for it. Hopefully it gets released in English at some point.

Just realised birthdays are back but I wonder how they're gonna do them  since we don't have an in-game calendar. I'm presuming they'll work off the switch's own clock I guess like they did in the 3ds era.

It does not bode well for game design that every time we've seen stat comparisons, mounted classes raise a unit's bst. That is so ass-backwards. Why even play infantry if the higher moveset class also has more stats.

Even Heroes knows better, and Heroes is literally designed to be as broken as humanly possible to sell you shit.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

5 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

I did notice that a lot of what seems to be promoted classes have bare midriffs. 

Engage going by Kill La Kill logic where more skin exposed=more power I guess

6 minutes ago, Azz said:

Engage going by Kill La Kill logic where more skin exposed=more power I guess

LOL

Hopefully like there, the girls actually make it look appealing. ...What? I actually don't mind that thing, thank you very much. Except for female Byleth. That was tacky as fuck.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Yeah I don't mind the designs tbh. Some of them are kinda exposed, but nothing is egregious (like paladins and armours in thongs from FEA/Fates). I actually quite like the Sage design, even if the exposed torso doesn't make the most sense, I do think it looks quite sleek and I am a fan of the dark mage outfit from Fates which Sage really reminds me of and I'm excited to slutify the men in the army heehee

4 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

LOL

Hopefully like there, the girls actually make it look appealing. ...What? I actually don't mind that thing, thank you very much. Except for female Byleth. That was tacky as fuck.

I mean yeah, it’s not a bad thing even less so if you like it but it’s an odd thing if you don’t. 

I`m gonna have to get a closer look at the Sage outfit before passing judgement. Same with Celine and Diamant`s promoted classes.

It does not bode well for game design that every time we've seen stat comparisons, mounted classes raise a unit's bst. That is so ass-backwards. Why even play infantry if the higher moveset class also has more stats

I never noticed that, now I`m even more worried about the balance of this game. Not like it was gonna be very balanced to begin with.

Edited by Metal Flash

5 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

It does not bode well for game design that every time we've seen stat comparisons, mounted classes raise a unit's bst. That is so ass-backwards. Why even play infantry if the higher moveset class also has more stats.

Even Heroes knows better, and Heroes is literally designed to be as broken as humanly possible to sell you shit.

Well with the emphasis on weapon triangle advantage and the many weapons effective against armor/cavalry/fliers I think there will be a good balance in risk-reward bc your infantry units while maybe having lower stats have less weaknesses 

Edited by BoydSteakhouse

We can see Lumera as an enemy engaged with Sigurd in what I assume is a tutorial map so with that in mind:

Marth was kept with Alear

Sigurd was kept in Lythos with Lumera

Celica I think is safe to assume is kept in Firene

Roy was kept with Brodia

We see Lyn and Lucina as enemies with Elusians so maybe both were kept there?

11 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

They did give the various infantry types unique mechanics to make up for this, with Covert having a rather nice one in doubling terrain bonuses but not the penalties. The Emblem type bonuses also sound really nice, though its hard to say how many of them will actually be worth aiming for. That said, stat total doesn't matter that much, but rather how the stats are distributed. Jade from what we've seen as an Armored Axe was very hyper specialized, and from all the footage we've seen from Vander I imagine that him hitting twice without a brave weapon will be a rarity, potential endless grinding on Normal mode aside.

Edited by Vexal

1 hour ago, Vexal said:

They did give the various infantry types unique mechanics to make up for this, with Covert having a rather nice one in doubling terrain bonuses but not the penalties. The Emblem type bonuses also sound really nice, though its hard to say how many of them will actually be worth aiming for. That said, stat total doesn't matter that much, but rather how the stats are distributed. Jade from what we've seen as an Armored Axe was very hyper specialized, and from all the footage we've seen from Vander I imagine that him hitting twice without a brave weapon will be a rarity, potential endless grinding on Normal mode aside.

On that note, other than the expected Bld increases from gaining mounts, were there any other overt stats that were disproportionately favoured on a mount compared with a comparable infantry (separate to typical things like peg Res)?

Also... have we seen the unique properties of the Flying or Cavalry class type (we've seen backup/mystical/covert/qi adept already iirc)? (though the former is obvious with the ability to cross foot-impassable terrain and avoiding all terrain effects)

7 minutes ago, tipperthescales said:

Also... have we seen the unique properties of the Flying or Cavalry class type (we've seen backup/mystical/covert/qi adept already iirc)? (though the former is obvious with the ability to cross foot-impassable terrain and avoiding all terrain effects)

I'm pretty sure JP twitter has talked about them, but they are just your usual "move further"/"can cross terrain" aka no new special ability for cavalry and flying

1 hour ago, Vexal said:

That said, stat total doesn't matter that much, but rather how the stats are distributed.

People say that, but it's way easier to have well-distributed stats when you also have more stats. I mean how many high bst units do you know that waste it all on Res and Lck?

8 hours ago, BoydSteakhouse said:

Well with the emphasis on weapon triangle advantage and the many weapons effective against armor/cavalry/fliers I think there will be a good balance in risk-reward bc your infantry units while maybe having lower stats have less weaknesses 

History shows that anti-cavalry weapons and anti-armor weapons really aren't all that common.

5 minutes ago, kienquocsi said:

I'm pretty sure JP twitter has talked about them, but they are just your usual "move further"/"can cross terrain" aka no new special ability for cavalry and flying

Ah right, found the tweets.

Spoiler

Armored still not talked about yet though, and they would've made some sense with Ike I suppose, hmm...

2 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

History shows that anti-cavalry weapons and anti-armor weapons really aren't all that common.

iirc there's a reasonably early Hammer and Poleaxe in the first few chapters, then the Somniel has them available for purchase (with limits ofc); and then factor in the Emblems' type effective Engage Weapons that can also in some way be given even more effectiveness if the Strengthen Engage Weapons section is anything to go by...

(on that note I kinda wish there was a Mace equivalent of 'lighter' anti-armour weapons; thought that was a cute idea in 3H)