[FE8] The Princess's Lament - A Sacred Stones rebalance, rewrite, overhaul, expansion extravaganza!

Saint Rubenio

39303fdf1e5033dd396eb199e266bbf9fb107817

Hello! My name is Saint Rubenio, and this is my first hack. I'd been curious about making my own hack for a long time, but it always seemed like quite the daunting task. I wanted to set myself a humble goal, one that I could see myself completing. I decided to just make a little FE8 rebalance.

Then I started having wilder ideas.

In the end, it became a sort of plot rewrite / gameplay overhaul extravaganza that went well beyond the initial scope. It includes new chapters, new characters, new story beats... I pretty much just did anything I came up with, to see if I could pull it off.

Think of it as a sort of Project Emblem style thing (in fact, my first idea for a title was Project Fado haha), but with bigger story and gameplay changes. I don't know how much interest there could be for such a thing, but I know I had a blast making this, and I can only hope some folks will enjoy it at least a little bit.

Features

• Overhauled maps, with changes that range from the small to the dramatic. Almost every map has seen at least some slight changes.
  • Four brand-new chapters, two missable sidequests and two mandatory lategame maps.
  • Improved enemies. They now have far greater offense than in vanilla, but only slightly higher defense. I can only hope this will make the game feel more challenging than the original, but fair.
  • Overhauled cast. I’ve tried my best to make everyone have something that makes them viable and fun to use. In some cases I just reworked units entirely. Some changes are more unusual than others.
  • Story rewrites. Make no mistake, I did not set out to “fix” Sacred Stones’s story or anything like that. Think of it as just a sort of “what if?” fanfic I wrote for fun and to accommodate some of the gameplay stuff I wanted to do. The overall plot is the same, but lots of different things happen in it, to varying degrees of importance. **Main story changes begin in chapter 8.**
  • Route split is gone! You will play through both twins’ stories. Eirika keeps her army, while Ephraim’s offscreen army of Frelian knights get faces and names.
  • Speaking of, between these and certain old foes and allies turning playable, it all amounts to 27 new playable characters, plus a secret easter egg character. I… may have gotten a bit carried away, I won’t lie.
  • Added music. Primarily from other GBAFE games, plus a certain custom track I imported and tweaked myself. I pray it’s not too janky for your liking!
  • Optional conversations that raise stats. Like in the Kaga games!
  • No fog. Screw fog.
  • QoL patches. Danger display, growth display, stationary enemies have no movement, hold L to skip animations, etc.

Screenshots

254b73f3bb8bb126669448ba133e8821fc4feb19ec13ed3b5add376797e85333ab8289d15457ba15
f40e9247025301c15784ff4165ac2674b3c494716443e5ba5a55404e1c95200f57b3be1ae36dabf7
f2f0b08c80a36396fde06d480902fadb7ca621ab39debdfab9b08b117b0c0b5ad238f21672e74a1a
fa44c97502b93148dca86b7fd509098e6153d8d9fd8ed4e679bf5afcbb6a18d1278b7e2c76b39467
415c967d4435458299c2a1077da3b121c2d179e0590479481e7c1a079fbc666a102d948d885da5c4
b46b5c6ce271ba2fd0b253dafef9343130aa768d1d5186d4376619b5238b1464a41ee8bb63d1dc4e
d893b2a2f2aa854268b3a5becc6c0e5ea888f187da33d8ba4f0604e33b30c750996c7a9e525172db
d8fc4b59c002d29a63f4b2829cc9c0c8d949aac3f6ef78797a39dfb4fdb981327b32cfc7ac1dd989
99bdc5c41e280fa7029aa470572adac6d5f01ae6910d644519810095b343220ec62efb60e8b2edb7

Download

Download the hack here.

Patch over a vanilla US FE8 ROM. The hack has primarily been tested on mGBA. VBA seemed to cause some issues for one of my friends, so be warned if you use that emulator.

Be warned, **the hack is not properly tested past chapter 21.** I had some people playtesting it, but I wanted to release it before the end of the year and they were busy with other things. Obviously, I played through it as I made it, but if watching others play taught me anything, it’s that there’s a LOT of nonsense one can miss or retroactively screw up.

What I’m getting at is, please, do not hesitate to yell at me if you find any issues not listed below. I am certain there’s got to be more. Also, do let me know if you’ve any feedback. This is my first hack, and I don’t expect it to be, nor set out to make it perfect, but if you’ve any thoughts, I’ll be happy to listen.

Bugs and other notes

• I have received multiple reports that, sometimes, waiting with certain units causes the player’s turn to end automatically, regardless of how many units are left to move. I haven’t the faintest clue what could be causing this, it is wildly inconsistent in terms of chapters and units that cause it, and I never experienced it myself. I always play with autoend turns off, which could be the reason this never happened to me. Please try turning autoend turns off if you experience this glitch.
  • The prep screen unit list becomes a bit glitchy past chapter 21, when the two armies merge. Really got carried away with the amount of units. Nothing I can do about this, as far as I know. It’s just a cosmetic glitch, anyway.
  • If Harriett/Elaine die, the screen will become glitchy for a moment. It’s merely cosmetic.
  • There may be some issues with the exp scaling of the malig knight class. This was reported to me, I’ve not been able to verify it and I cannot figure out why it’d happen, so I would appreciate confirmation here.
  • During the epilogue, Mansel appears as a green cavalier. I replaced his class and I cannot figure out how to change it in that specific cutscene.
  • Supports are not finished. No promises there. Supports are the bane of every hacker’s existence, from what I’ve seen. I’ve only written a handful. Everyone has a bunch of functional gameplay supports, though. If you are curious, here's the list of completed supports.

Spoiler

Dozla and Ramón
Qastimon and Na'amah
Qastimon and Afrira
Elaine and Harriett
Ramón and Elaine
Ismaire and Fado
Amelia and the secret character
Novala and Melville

• Vanilla supports are also untouched, which might just lead to inconsistencies with my own story changes here and there. I would hope not, but I don't know every FE8 support by memory haha.

Credits

All custom portraits, portrait edits, Strong One (Mother 3) and the attacking Tethys and FE6 bishop Moulder animations by me. I’ll probably make them F2U down the line. They're not masterpieces, but I’d be so flattered to see them used in better, fully custom hacks.

Special thanks:

A number of Serenesforest users with whom I shared the journey, and who gave me some helpful bits of advice and feedback. Including:
@Hawkwing, who helped me with a few questions I had.
@Punished Dayni, who gave me some feedback regarding portraits and color palettes.
@lightcosmo, who helped me a lot with the technical side of things.
@Armagon, who suggested the Carcino Samson/Arran split. I can’t believe I didn’t come up with that myself.
@Interdimensional Observer, who suggested the Moulder portrait edit.
@Acacia Sgt for helping me out with Lorell’s name.
@ping and two of my real life friends, for doing a bit of playtesting.

FEBuilder’s creators. This thing is incredible.

JeyTheCount at FEUniverse, whose dark-skinned Jehannan portraits I did not use, but they gave me the idea to make my own.
The community of FEUniverse, for all the assets, patches and stuff they created which I utilized in this hack. Couldn’t have done half the stuff I wanted to do with without your collective genius. More on that below.

Patches installed

Anti-huffman by Hextator
Fix Weak Promoted Enemies by Gryz
Modify S-Rank limits by Tequila
Switch:Animation on / off with L button by aera
Set staff experience
JunaFruits Decliment level setting
Remove Pierce Glitch by Brendor
Change Skill Pierce activation rate from LV to Skill by aera
Add event: Change Edition by 7743
Enable Event34_MessWithUnitState_Fix not to freeze even nonexistent units
Staff Range Fix by Tequila/Lord Reyson
Unit Growths Display by Tequila
Enemy Range Display by Circles
FE8-Battle Stats with Anims Off ver2 by Vesly
ModularMinimugBox by Zane (Runabox)
HPBars_with_warnings Cache by Circles and Tequila
Show Heal Amount by Tequila
Healing Formula: Staff Might: MAG/2 + Staff Might = Heal by Venno
IsSethLArachelMyrrhInnes Table
Monster Weapon Display fix by Brendor
Mov display fix by Circles https://feuniverse.us/t/zeroing-nullifying-mov-feds-style-based-on-ai-parameters/878/7
Set Unit Status by 7743
Lose Weapon Ranks on Promotion by Venno
Prevent Freeze for Get Unit State / Unit State Event by 7743
Continue Battle BGM Between Map and Combat by 7743
Change Battle BGM by Chapter by 7743
Set Preparation BGM by CHapter ported by 7743
Switch Portrait images by class, chapter, flag by 7743
Switch unit's description by class, chapter, flag by 7743
Set Multiple Staff BGMs by 7743
Multi-Class Pick Skill by kao, made compatible by 7743
SOUND_NIMAP2 by Alusq + drumfix by Circles
Skip World Map Fix (For World Map Users) - MNC2Fix by Stan
NarrowFont by Scraiza
Set Preparations Store Pricing by Aera
Skill pierce to this class by Chap
Add event: Split Menu by Stan, Circleseverywhere
C01command_hack by Hextator
Fixes the world map chapter ID being loaded instead of the actual chapter ID
Toggle World Map Monster Skirmishes by FE8_GIRLS
Character Custom Animation by EA by 7743
Remove game clear requirement for trainees third promotion options by vilk, Onmi, Tequila
Allow 3 or more trainee to be regist by 7743
Distance of sight that thieves can secure additional in mist by 7743
Make a magic throwing axe (Bolt Axe) by Midori Patch and 7743
Range-Animated Weapons List by Circles
Minimum and Maximum poison damage
Support conversations room unlock by 7743
48command_hack by Hextator
Set Defualt Option "Animation" and "Cursor & etc"
Weapon S value of bonus item 1 and 2 (hit 10, critical 0)
6_tracks_12_sounds by Aggro/Bendor?
Weapon lock ex by 7743
Remove Easy Mode by Nintenlord
Expanded the setting of the ring effect used by dancers by 7743
Movement icon ID used when attacking with dragon stone when the animation off by aera
Fixed sound of Aircalibur from aera's data
Add event: Lose item by 7743
Autocursor Fix by Venno
Define multiple classes to suppress status display by 774
Set whether transporter can be used for each map by 7743
Weapon LV up when destroyed by FE8Girls chap
Change to have multiple units that can be seize by 7743
Units after this Unit ID will Class Grow by fe8 decomp project
Don't draw portrait on item select menu if unit is generic by Hypergammaspaces
allow Wyvern Knights to triangle attack
Armor Triangle Attack Class Range From and To by 7743
Skip World Map Fix (Disable Skirmishes & World Map)
Add Event: GetSupportLevel, SetSupportLevel, ClearSupportLevel by 7743
Setting Hide chapter title calls by 7743
Send unit's all items to transporter by 7743
Adjust Mode Coefficient Experience Gain by Vennobennu.

Animations implemented

Sword, axe, handaxe and bow knight by TheBlindArcher
Chained Sword general by Knabepicer
Cannon bow general by GabrielKnight
F Warrior Reskin Repal by Temp
F Fighter Variant by Pikmin
F Rogue Ponytail by Temp
F Assassin by Keks_Krebs, Beccarte, SD9K
M Valkyrie by Gabriel Knight
Halberdier by the_blind_Archer
Necromancer alt Warlock by JeyTheCount
Ranged revenants by Teraspark
Ranged entombed by Teraspark
Axe Cavalier by Primefusion
Mounted Marauder by Spud
Deacon (M Troubadour) and FE7 troubadour (magic) by Pikmin1211, Maiser6, Lisandra_Brave, TBA
Priest Base Skintone Repal by Flasuban
Axe summoner by Spud, TBA
Wicked flier by Blue Druid, Alfred Kamon
Dozlazerker by Aruka, Kenpuhu and blood
Hat myrm and swordmaster by SD9K
Ranger-style dark knight by Pikmin1211, Nuramon, and DerTheVaporeon, original by Teraspark
Baron cape + shield by Leo_link, Nuramon, Iscaneus, The_Big_Dededester, Revamped Handaxe by Sax Marine
FE7 coat hero by Swain
Bald hero by Pushwall
Bow promoted eirika by Belle and St jack
Heavy Infantry GL Eph by Nuramon

Map sprites and other art used

F cav map sprites by Flasuban
F paladin map sprites by L95
F Fighter by Pikmin
F paladin by Stand
F Rogue by Stand
F Warrior by Stand
F ranger improved bow by Stand and Flasuban
Halberdier by the_blind_archer
Axe and sword knight map sprites by Aggro
Cav sword sprites by Aggro
F halberdier map sprites by blood, Dei, dondon151
F soldier map sprites Rexacuse, Peerless, Alusq, WarPath
Spud's Marauder map anims by LonkFC
Axe cav map sprites by Salvaged
Thaumaturge map sprites by Pikmin, Der
Battle Sage map sprites by Smug_Mug, Unknow
Wicked flier sprites by MeatOfJustice
Ranger-stlye dark knight map sprites by Pikmin1211, Nuramon, and DerTheVaporeon
Axe hero map sprites by Raspberry
Ephraim infantry GL map sprites by Snewping
Halberdier class card by the_blind_archer

Edited by Saint Rubenio

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can confirm that yelling at Ruben has proven very productive.

And while I've only played up to the remerge of the paths (in my case "a bit" is the operative word for "doing a bit of playtesting"), I can also very much recommend this hack up to that point. Who knows what happens thereafter

10 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

you're very welcome!ore than happy to help whenever I can! ❤️

Haha, of course! Thanks!

9 hours ago, ping said:

I can confirm that yelling at Ruben has proven very productive.

I can confirm he is right.

9 hours ago, ping said:

And while I've only played up to the remerge of the paths (in my case "a bit" is the operative word for "doing a bit of playtesting"), I can also very much recommend this hack up to that point. Who knows what happens thereafter

Well, more than a bit. All of your feedback was very helpful. Thanks for the recommendation!

7 hours ago, ciphertul said:

So you also removed the Tower?

Eyup.

Been exited for this since I saw the videos of it on your yt channel, looking forward to see what you've done with the game. 

I can only hope that you kept my favourite grinding spots and also added Arkis.

1.1 is out

• As per the suggestion of ArcherBias at FEUniverse, I took a lot of weapons that had 5% crit and set it to 0. Those weapons have their own purposes and the extra bit of RNG doesn't really add anything.
  • The female rogue animation was glitched. It's fixed now.
  • Fixed a thing in chapter 8.
37 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

Seems odd to add a bunch more units and even less time to use them. But oh well.

I always found the grinding in FE8 to be pretty unnecessary. I initially removed the tower because I thought I'd use its slots for new maps. Ended up not doing that, but I just left it removed. I suppose it's just a matter of preferences, here.

12 minutes ago, ranger016 said:

Nice to see you starting your own rom hack. And a FE8 hack without the skill patch is refreshing to see. Hopefully I can beat it without too many restarts.

Hey, nice to see you here, bud! Hope you enjoy this little hack. Do let me know how it goes!

4 minutes ago, Pengaius said:

Been exited for this since I saw the videos of it on your yt channel, looking forward to see what you've done with the game. 

Nothin' good, Butterman, old pal. Nothin' good.

I can only hope that you kept my favourite grinding spots

Uhhh...

and also added Arkis.

Well...

Oh, hey, this released.

I'm not going to be near my computer for several days due to visiting relatives in a different state, so I won't be able to check this out until later. Pretty excited to try this out as my first rom hack. It will be especially interesting as it's been years since I last played Sacred Stones and I didn't end up completing it, so going in mostly blind should be fun.

Oh right, I forgot. Turns out keeping two threads in two different forums is too much work.

1.2 released

• Given Seth his steel sword back
  • Fixed the chapter 7 skip goof.
Edited by Saint Rubenio

1.3 released

• This one is very important. If you fulfilled the requirements to go to chapter 21x, the game removed two thirds of your team and then proceeded to send you to 22 anyway.
    I believe this is fixed now. I’m not 100% sure. Please let me know quickly if the issue persists.
  • Franz now has D swords.

1.4 released

• Just a little thing in chapter 8.
Edited by Saint Rubenio

1.5 released

• The two recruitable characters from chapter 21x were unrecruitable because I am bad at hacking. It’s fixed now, I think.
  • Nerfed the OP brigand from prologue and chapter 5’s speed.
  • Fixed chapter 7 being autoskipped. Again. It had been fixed before, I just unfixed it and then forgot to refix it. Good job, me!

1.6 released

• Fixed a small issue at the start of chapter 21x.
  • Added a key to 21x to prevent a possible, if unlikely, softlock.
  • Fixed mogalls and arch mogals’ magic stat being labelled “str.”
  • Minor text fixes I caught here and there.

I downloaded this a couple days ago and just reached Chapter 8, I’m loving it so far! You’ve really managed to capture the characters’ voices in your original scenes, and Novala and Melville crack me up!

I have noticed one glitch so far, which is that on the turn the player’s reinforcements come in Chapter 8, I saved Harriet and Eliana to move last and the game automatically ended my turn as if I’d moved all my units. They could probably have used the breather after trying to keep up with Kyle and Forde, so I’m not mad about it; just figured you should know. 

1.8 released

All bugs reported by JrpgAddict at FEUniverse are fixed. I think.

• I’m not sure about bug 1 (chapter 27 ending before it’s supposed to). I changed one thing that I’m pretty sure was wrong, but I haven’t been able to confirm if it works as intended now.
  • Bug 2 (chapter 28 intro freezing) is just plain fixed.
  • Bug 3 (draco zombies’ power stat being labeled as str) is not a bug, vanilla also lists all dragons as having str actually. The label changes when the character has a weapon rank in a magic type.
  • I was not able to replicate bug 4 (chapter 29 crashing when gorgons use shadowshot).
  • Bugs 5 and 6 (final battle being skipped) were the result of me forgetting to remove a testing auto skip. In the final battle. Yeah. The fact that this exact thing has happened like four times now is so incredibly frustrating, I want to punch myself in the nose-- Professional change logs!

Also updated the OP with the following note:

• I have received multiple reports that, sometimes, waiting with certain units causes the player’s turn to end automatically, regardless of how many units are left to move. I haven’t the faintest clue what could be causing this, it is wildly inconsistent in terms of chapters and units that cause it, and I never experienced it myself. I always play with autoend turns off, which could be the reason this never happened to me. Please try turning autoend turns off if you experience this glitch.

5 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Heya Ruben, this looks pretty cool and like a wild ride! I think I'll check it out soon. 

Eyyy, heya there! People do seem to be enjoying it haha. Give it a shot. And let me know if any chapters skip automatically. I keep doing that because I'm great at hacking.

1 hour ago, KingStaragna said:

I downloaded this a couple days ago and just reached Chapter 8, I’m loving it so far! You’ve really managed to capture the characters’ voices in your original scenes, and Novala and Melville crack me up!

Glad you've been enjoying yourself! Please do update to the latest version, lest you find yourself unable to play the final battle lol

I have noticed one glitch so far, which is that on the turn the player’s reinforcements come in Chapter 8, I saved Harriet and Eliana to move last and the game automatically ended my turn as if I’d moved all my units. They could probably have used the breather after trying to keep up with Kyle and Forde, so I’m not mad about it; just figured you should know. 

A couple of friends have also experienced this. I have updated the OP's "bugs and notes" section to address it. I have no idea what oculd be causing this or how to go about fixing it, so this suggestion is the best I've got:

I always play with autoend turns off, which could be the reason this never happened to me. Please try turning autoend turns off if you experience this glitch.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1.9 released

• A certain battle convo was assigned to the wrong chapter and could not be seen. Fixed now.
  • PLEASE tell me I’ve not created more chapter skips with this patch. Please.

1.10 released

• Since it seems to be a popular request, I changed the kings’ personal animations to be more… kingly. Class is still labelled general though, I really have no room for more proper classes.
  • Implemented the “action after talk” and “action after support” patches.
  • Generic female fighters are now GBA style. Elaine is still Tellius style, though.
  • The crimson eye mogall in chapter 4 no longer charges you. Now it only moves when you enter its range. Hopefully that should make it less infuriating to fight.
  • Touched up Ephraim’s portrait and Gerik’s ranger palette a little.
8 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Question do new updates work with previous save files? I assume yes cuz it's not a major change but you never know.

It does. Most of these updates aren't big enough to screw with save files. I find myself fixing bad bugs quite often, so do take care so update often.

On 1/4/2023 at 9:37 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Glad you've been enjoying yourself! Please do update to the latest version, lest you find yourself unable to play the final battle lol

So I'm trying to follow your advice here, but whenever I try to patch the (already patched) .gba file with the 1.10 ups file it keeps saying the patch doesn't match the file. I'm pretty new at this, do I need to get a fresh new FE8 ROM every time I want to patch? If so, it'll still use the same .SAV file, right?

Stupid questions I know, just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. Also, don't know if you've fixed this yet, but any time I try and do a support in Chapter 10 it just does a line of Novala dialogue and then stops.

3 hours ago, KingStaragna said:

So I'm trying to follow your advice here, but whenever I try to patch the (already patched) .gba file with the 1.10 ups file it keeps saying the patch doesn't match the file. I'm pretty new at this, do I need to get a fresh new FE8 ROM every time I want to patch? If so, it'll still use the same .SAV file, right?

Stupid questions I know, just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

There are no stupid questions! You aren't supposed to patch over an already patched file. You need to make another copy of your unmodded game and patch that. Then you delete the old patched file, and rename the new one to match the name of the old one. That way, the save file will carry over!

3 hours ago, KingStaragna said:

Also, don't know if you've fixed this yet, but any time I try and do a support in Chapter 10 it just does a line of Novala dialogue and then stops.

Yeah, that was a silly way for me to handle unwritten supports. It's not elegant, but it is what it is haha. I might get around to writing them at some point, but I can't many any promises.

So… hey. Long time no see. I haven’t been super-active on anything FE-related but I did see someone playing with Margaret on Twitter and instantly knew you were up to something. I’ll definitely be playing this sometime in the near future, it’s looking real promising: Syrene on the title screen and a screenshot (possibly, hopefully) hinting at Mansel and Dozla being a couple? Sign. Me. Up. Funny too, considering I was just thinking of playing FE8 again.

Btw, while I’m at it, and coming from the person who spurred you to use Frost: he has a shot at winning the men’s division of the Rising Hero contest for Choose Your Legends (meaning he’d get added to FEH if he hit top 3 in the category) so check the CYL website out if you want to make an old follower happy.

Edited by Goddess Serra

41 minutes ago, Goddess Serra said:

So… hey. Long time no see.

Yoo! Good to see you here.

I haven’t been super-active on anything FE-related but I did see someone playing with Margaret on Twitter and instantly knew you were up to something.

Hah! Oh wow, that's interesting. Someone's talking about this little thing on Twitter? May I ask you share this? I'd like to see.

I’ll definitely be playing this sometime in the near future, it’s looking real promising (while hoping that Mansel screenshot proves my long-standing headcanon of him and Dozla being a couple). Funny too, considering I recently thought of playing FE8 again.

Well, if you do go ahead, please let me know how it goes!

(Also, Dozla and Mansel being a wacky couple with L'Ara as their equally wacky surrogate daughter is a great headcanon. One I may or may not agree with...)

Btw, while I’m at it, and coming from the person who spurred you to use Frost

And I still have to thank you for that. While I already was fond of the man, using him in the LP was part of what solidified him as one of my obscure favorites.

Funny you should mention him, actually - if you play the hack, you may find a neat little surprise regarding our man Frost. I won't say more.

he has a shot at winning the men’s division of the Rising Hero contest for Choose Your Legends (meaning he’d get added to FEH if he hit top 3 in the category) so check the CYL website out if you want to make an old follower happy.

Wait, wait, what? Frost has a chance to win something? Frost, the man who lost CyL once?

I mean, I already gave him a vote for this CyL. Is this like, something different? A different vote, category or what not? You know I've never really followed Heroes too closely, so I wouldn't know. I definitely would want to support Frost in this! I'm a fan of the man too.