Finally playing Awakening for the first time, anything I should know about the game?

So I bought a 2DS with my Christmas money this year and I've finally been able to actually buy Awakening after asking my parents for it for the past 8 or so years and it's being shipped right now. Now it'sย been awhile since I've seen anything Awakening related so I might've forgotten some things. So, is there anything I should know before I play? More specifically gameplay mechanics and things like that. ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

Edited by Izanagi

I haven't played the game all the way through, but pair-up can be incredibly useful, especially for leveling up your weaker characters by pairing them up with a stronger character to increase their stats.

Besides that I can't thing of anything that you need to know before starting. From what I've heard Awakening is one of the best games in the series so just have fun with it!

Welcome!ย 

Awakening is a pretty broken game in the best of ways, and there aren't many units you can mess up, so go ahead and have fun! In terms of mechanics, probably the more helpful things to know:

Pair-Up is the staring feature and main mechanic in this game. It gives stat bonuses and occasionally allows the pair-up unit to attack or defend. The higher your supports, the more stats and attack/defense opportunities you'll have.ย 

Units have a Primary Class and two Secondary Class. Units can Promote to two optional classes once they reach Lvl 10 and you have a Master Seal. (I.e. Cleric to either War Monk/War Cleric or Sage; Cavalier to Paladin or Great Knight; Archer to Sniper or Bow Knight.) You can change to a Secondary Class with a Second Seal.ย 

Units learn skills at Lvls 1 & 10 in their Base Class (or first-tier class if you prefer) and at Lvls 5 & 15 in their Promoted Class (or second-tier class if you will).ย 

Finally, if you like the game, BUY AND DOWNLOAD THE DLC BEFORE THE 3DS/WIIU SHOP CLOSES DOWN PERMANENTLY.ย 

Hello!

Several things to note about the game:

Chrom is forced to marry after chapter 11 for plot reasons. Also, his pool of wives is limited compared to most other male characters. Similarly...

Sumia has a limited husband pool compared to most other female characters. This means you can miss out on her child if you're not careful with your pairings.

Robin can marry anyone of the opposite gender (on that note, to marry someone, you must build support with them by having them battle together. Supports have four levels; C, B, A, and S. The last results in marriage between tow characters of opposite genders).

Units have a Primary class, and two secondary classes. With the exception of certain classes, they can promote into another class with the use of a Master Seal when they are at least level 10. For example, Kellam, an armored knight (which is simply called Knight) has the choice between General and Great Knight when promoting. Second Seals are used to access secondary classes. Speaking of which...

...Robin is the exception to this, as they can second seal into any non-unique class (gender permitting;ย Fighter and Barbarian are male exclusive, whereas Pegasus Knight and Troubadour are female exclusive).

When fighting, a unit will get support bonuses relative to their support level with allย units adjacent to them, as well as that of their pair up partner, if applicable.

Pair up is the unique mechanic this game has. When a unit is paired up with another, they'll get stat boosts dependent on the class and stats of their pair up partner. Also of note, when accompanied by another unit in battle, either by pair up orย being adjacent to them, the support unit may either guard incoming attacks or attack when the lead does.

BEWARE OF COUNTER. It causes an adjacent unit to suffer damage when the unit with itย takes damage.

Mind your weapons' durability. Weapons will eventually break, with one exception.

If you like the game, it's in your best interest to get all the DLC for it before the Eshop closes permanently.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Okay so my dad just randomly got me Shadows of Valentia just now and it came out of nowhere, so tips about that game would be appreciated too ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for the wonderful tips so far guys! ๐Ÿ˜€

4 hours ago, Izanagi said:

Okay so my dad just randomly got me Shadows of Valentia just now and it came out of nowhere, so tips about that game would be appreciated too ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for the wonderful tips so far guys! ๐Ÿ˜€

Promote ASAP! Promotion gains are based on the class's bate stats, so you don't benefit by "holding off" a promotion.

Combat Arts can be quite useful. Don't let the HP cost dissuade you from using them... unless it makes a difference between life and death.

Most NPCs are voiced, but the "unvoiced" ones tend to have tasks or subquests for you to complete. These can net neat rewards.

Some supports are locked to later parts of the game, so don't feel like you need to "grind them out" ASAP.

Spell lists are unique to each character, so only some Clerics and Sages get Physic, for instance. You can only really know lists in advance by looking them up... but you can still get by playing blind.

Forging can be a strong way to improve your weapons, but I'd save beforehand. Especially if you're "evolving" into an unfamiliar weapon - what comes out might be inferior to what went in.