Choose Your Legends 7

Fire Emblem Fan

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

As far as consistency goes, the current line-up makes enough sense. Right now, the only ones that are eligible for CYL are the ones that appear in game and have art that can viably be used as the character's icon portrait.

Elimine fits that criteria as much as Altena does. Both have existing artwork which they used to make a Heroes character which could serve as a portrait, but only Altena is while Elimine isn't. And if it's about the full batch of heroes, then both of them come from a situation where they have mostly complete cast, with over half of the legends having viable artwork while 2/3 of Ashera's Heroes having artwork. By following Altena's precedent, Elimine should be there using her Heroes artwork while her friends Hartmut, Hanon and Barigan being left with Soan in the no-portrait-no-dice category.

What is different between them, sort of, is what game Elimine can be categorized in. Altena was put in Radiant Dawn because, while I think she's mentioned in Path of Radiance, her minor importance is slightly more important in Radiant Dawn where we see both her artwork and hear her voice (I think). Elimine isn't important to Binding Blade or Blazing Blade. She's categorized as Binding Blade in Heroes which makes a bit more sense as the church itself is more important in Roy's game, but her fellow legends Athos, Bramimond, Roland and Durban are all Blazing Blade characters, so putting the set there makes a bit more sense and the Mario Kart bonus disc was compatible with Blazing Blade. Taking the "she appears in game and has portrait artwork" means the reason we don't see her is because there's no Mario Kart title in CYL! XD

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

The expression on her face reminds me of Triandra, Freyja, and Nifl, all of whom could use some headpats. Also the TCG Ninian in my profile pic.

I was curious where you were going with your original statement, but this is acceptable. I admit I'm curious if they're going to give her a tragic backstory as well - beyond just the Heidr thing we can all see coming from a mile away (or maybe even just that if it's told well enough, but we'll see).

21 hours ago, Lemmy said:

I’ll give you an Elena vote, she’ll be one of my later ones though.

Thank you so much! 😄 I really hope she places in the top 2, as unlikely as that may be! We've had surprises before!

And if not, hopefully we'll get her in some other way sometime once IS sees that people do notice her and would like to summon her!

On 1/6/2023 at 3:42 AM, DefyingFates said:

I really hope they learned their lesson from then, but I guess we'll have to see...

Yeah, the main reason for CYL is having the winners as you wouldn’t expect them or even being able to see them as in their base game. It was severely disappointing having the three lords don their final personal classes and the Fodlan Shadow Dragon Regalia, and Lysithea as grimoire and dark spikes. They may work as characters, but the lack of creativity made it easily the worst CYL (yes, even worse than “THAT” one 😒)

2 hours ago, Midnox said:

Yeah, the main reason for CYL is having the winners as you wouldn’t expect them or even being able to see them as in their base game. It was severely disappointing having the three lords don their final personal classes and the Fodlan Shadow Dragon Regalia, and Lysithea as grimoire and dark spikes. They may work as characters, but the lack of creativity made it easily the worst CYL (yes, even worse than “THAT” one 😒)

Yeah the lords all just having their promoted outfits rather than a custom brave outfits kinda killed the sentiment that it was supposed to be a celebration. They could have done much better. Especially Claude who's got a whole Arabic aesthetic to draw from through his Almyran origins. 

I am splitting votes between Elincia and Sharena. I want Elincia to win but Sharena even getting anywhere near top and getting more story focus as a result would be fine with me. I would like a brave Sharena but even top 5 or top 10 would be a win in my book for her. Also wouldn't mind Gullveig or Dorethea winning but I think the new years banner probably means no Dorethea.

2 hours ago, Midnox said:

Yeah the three lords and Lysethia should have gotten something more unique and I still not a fan they got put in base game version alts only hell for so long (the lords at least).  The three houses lords may have power but they have been some of the most story locked outfit groups in the history of the game if not the most constrained group outright in terms of costumes.

Edited by vikingsfan92

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Yeah the lords all just having their promoted outfits rather than a custom brave outfits kinda killed the sentiment that it was supposed to be a celebration. They could have done much better. Especially Claude who's got a whole Arabic aesthetic to draw from through his Almyran origins. 

I blame Three Houses itself for having mid tier personal classes for the lords that were entirely useless to begin with. They should have just got their personal classes at start of part 2, Byleth already had theirs before the end of part 1. If there was no Armoured Lord, Wyvern Master and High Lord, then they would have had to come up with new designs (Emperor, Barbossa and Great Lord being saved for their legendary designs).

23 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Anyway, based on the immediate first day reactions in all the online communities I'm seeing thus far, it looks like the top male contenders are Robin, Corrin, Byleth, Soren, Sigurd, and Leif.

Ahahahahahahaha

Holy fuck, this seasonal banner.

Wonder if this means Felix and m!Robin are going to sweep the male side now. Soren even got a freaking alt that wasn't terrible in 2022.

18 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Ahahahahahahaha

Holy fuck, this seasonal banner.

Wonder if this means Felix and m!Robin are going to sweep the male side now. Soren even got a freaking alt that wasn't terrible in 2022.

Yeah, IS really went "fuck M!Byleth and Soren in particular" in the most unsubtle manner ever. I kinda have to respect that level of brazenness.

And the even funnier thing is that M!Robin could've easily been on this banner too.

8 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Yeah, IS really went "fuck M!Byleth and Soren in particular" in the most unsubtle manner ever. I kinda have to respect that level of brazenness.

And the even funnier thing is that M!Robin could've easily been on this banner too.

Man, if they were really going to go "fuck m!Byleth" they could've at least given him better art. But I will say that his kit is particularly busted for a demote.

CYL2 mage Eirika probably wasn't an accident, considering how they just fucked over m!Byleth and Soren in one fell swoop.

Edited by Sunwoo

36 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Man, if they were really going to go "fuck m!Byleth" they could've at least given him better art. But I will say that his kit is particularly busted for a demote.

CYL2 mage Eirika probably wasn't an accident, considering how they just fucked over m!Byleth and Soren in one fell swoop.

I’m more likely to give him a pity vote after seeing that art.

Oh my word, hahaha. Heroes releasing a Special Heroes banner that features Male Byleth, Soren, AND Nino. In the middle of CYL voting. Talk about potentially tanking three high-scoring characters for votes. Male Robin, Sigurd, and Felix are gonna gain some momentum on the male's side, I think. Nino probably wouldn't have won for the women anyway, but still, she's always in the Top 20-10.

Given the new information at hand I'd be content with Robin and Sigurd, but a little disappointed if Felix got up. Real danger of him turning up as a sword in both his base from and in CYL form in close proximity. Though I suppose at least if it's Sigurd and Felix it'll be 50:50 on who gets the sword.

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

Given the new information at hand I'd be content with Robin and Sigurd, but a little disappointed if Felix got up. Real danger of him turning up as a sword in both his base from and in CYL form in close proximity. Though I suppose at least if it's Sigurd and Felix it'll be 50:50 on who gets the sword.

Honestly, Sigurd is overdue a lance cav form already. Yeah, he uses a sword, but he's also pretty heavily associated with lances. He's *mentally checks notes*, yeah, he's literally the only lord who is automatically able to use two different weapon types (discounting Robin as a lord and Three Houses's everyone with everything mechanics). And his lance rank is good, you will find yourself using lances with Sigurd in regular gamepaly unlike a lot of sub weapons for lords. He even gets a lance, not a sword, named after him in Awakening. So if Sigurd gets in I hope he's going to be lance cav (though stealing from his son's dismount and giving us lance infantry I wouldn't object to either. That makes me wonder, can Seliph use lances when he's dismounted in Genealogy?).

@Jotari I admit I know next to nothing about FE4, so my preference has nothing to do with his original form. In any event, I feel that form would be more suited to an different alt, with CYL best reserved for more out-of-the-box class combinations. Especially true given the past two, and three of the past four CYL blue units were lance cavaliers. I wouldn't say no to a Lance Infantry though given the dearth of non-Dimitri units in that general pool.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, he uses a sword, but he's also pretty heavily associated with lances. He's *mentally checks notes*, yeah, he's literally the only lord who is automatically able to use two different weapon types (discounting Robin as a lord and Three Houses's everyone with everything mechanics). And his lance rank is good, you will find yourself using lances with Sigurd in regular gamepaly unlike a lot of sub weapons for lords.

He's also primarily a lance character in Engage too, so clearly IS knows this too.

4 hours ago, Humanoid said:

@Jotari I admit I know next to nothing about FE4, so my preference has nothing to do with his original form. In any event, I feel that form would be more suited to an different alt, with CYL best reserved for more out-of-the-box class combinations. Especially true given the past two, and three of the past four CYL blue units were lance cavaliers. I wouldn't say no to a Lance Infantry though given the dearth of non-Dimitri units in that general pool.

This is an unfortunate truth. One that kind of makes me want Sigurd not to win this year, despite my bias for Jugdral. Honestly, in general, I kind of wish all lords were eliminated from CYL after the initial contest. Seeing a bunch of the protagonists consistently win is just kind of boring and predictable.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

This is an unfortunate truth. One that kind of makes me want Sigurd not to win this year, despite my bias for Jugdral. Honestly, in general, I kind of wish all lords were eliminated from CYL after the initial contest. Seeing a bunch of the protagonists consistently win is just kind of boring and predictable.

Personally, now that we've reached this point, I really want Sigurd and Leif to round out the list. They're taking up a smaller proportion of the slots over time, anyway.

This early CYL blindsided me but I managed to vote everyday for Dorothy. She needs to keep her spot as the most wanted BB character left to add, or they might pull a Fates Kids banner and ignore her. But if the interim reveal a character I really like being top 3 I could give them my last 3 votes.

11 hours ago, Othin said:

Personally, now that we've reached this point, I really want Sigurd and Leif to round out the list. They're taking up a smaller proportion of the slots over time, anyway.

That's true. Though what I expect next will be the Avatars start winning CYL. A lot of people who voted for female Byleth will probably swap to male Byleth at least.

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That's true. Though what I expect next will be the Avatars start winning CYL. A lot of people who voted for female Byleth will probably swap to male Byleth at least.

That's true, avatars and Jugdral lords are two prominent groups that have now broken into the lineup. We'll have to see whether that does more for male Byleth vs female Robin/Corrin.

Just now, Othin said:

That's true, avatars and Jugdral lords are two prominent groups that have now broken into the lineup. We'll have to see whether that does more for male Byleth vs female Robin/Corrin.

Course if Female Robin wins they'll probably just give us another Grima >.>

43 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I could be wrong, but I was always under the impression that fans of male and female avatars usually do not overlap.