Choose Your Legends 7

Fire Emblem Fan

Well, they gave us the interim Top 20s....but in alphabetical order so good luck trying to place the actual order:

Males: Alfonse, Ashe, Black Knight, Byleth, Corrin, Felix, Ferdinand, Itsuki & Chrom, Leif, Leo, Lyon, Reinhardt, Robin, Shez, Sigurd, Soren, Sylvain, Takumi, Touma & Cain, Yuri

Females: Awakening!Anna, Azura, Bernadetta, Caeda, Corrin, Dorothea, Elincia, Freyja, Gullveig, TH!Hilda, Ingrid, Lilina, Mia, Nino, Petra, Robin, Sharena, Shez, Tharja, Tsubasa & Caeda

For the record, these are pretty much the same characters from last year's interim results. The only ones from last year who fell off were Xander and Annette. The new additions are the Shezs, Ferdinand, Leif, Gullveig and Sharena.

Edited by Tybrosion

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As expected, Gullveig is the only character I voted for that made it to the top, I think I’ll give Byleth and Hilda a vote, not sure about the last, might do another Gullveig in hopes of snake beast unit.

I am slightly giddy that after literal years and no recent alt or official rerelease of his game and not being a lord, Reinhardt is somehow still in top 20 for the dudes.

Also, guess I have to throw a vote for m!Robin now.

39 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I am slightly giddy that after literal years and no recent alt or official rerelease of his game and not being a lord, Reinhardt is somehow still in top 20 for the dudes.

That "no recent alt" part is probably the main reason why Reinhardt is still hanging around. The same thing applies to Takumi and Leo, except all seven versions of them suck ass at this point and were never good to begin with (except base Takumi for like the game's first couple of months).

Though speaking of Takumi, it's actually absurd that he could potentially go five years since his last alt while others (like Y!Tiki, who coincidentally is nowhere to found in the female Top 20) get constant alts just for existing.

13 minutes ago, Some Jerk said:

Gullveig potentially getting slated for a Brave alt before we learn literally anything about her is as hilarious as it is concerning.

It makes me kinda sad, tbh. If people legitimately still like her after we learned about her character through the story that's ... fine, I guess. But this is a bit ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

That "no recent alt" part is probably the main reason why Reinhardt is still hanging around. The same thing applies to Takumi and Leo, except all seven versions of them suck ass at this point and were never good to begin with (except base Takumi for like the game's first couple of months).

Though speaking of Takumi, it's actually absurd that he could potentially go five years since his last alt while others (like Y!Tiki, who coincidentally is nowhere to found in the female Top 20) get constant alts just for existing.

Honestly, I'm never completely sure whether Reinhardt's staying power is for the memes only or if he has some fans who like him outside of meme reasons who are holding him up in top 20. Reinhardt also not getting a recent alt is far less egregious than Takumi and Leo not getting any though, because Takumi and Leo were legitimately popular in their own games that more people had access to and played, and their alts and base versions suck ass more than Reinhardt's.

Seriously, we need to get Ascended Takumi and Leo someday. They are more popular than Joshua, the only dude who got one, and are more popular than some of the women who got them.

Man, pretty difficult who to vote this time… I think I’m supporting Silly Bernie. Gullveig is… I don’t know, at most I can say about her is she having a cool concept and design, but that’s it. Freya makes more sense since her arc is over, but since Gullveig is on top 20, it’s possible she’ll pull a Veronica dark horse victory

May throw a vote Lief's way, I didn't expect him in the Top 20 and while I doubt he's winning the Top spot I'd still like to give him a little support. 

After that, it's back to Ranulf and Skrimir.

Edited by Medeus

Besides the magic and the memes, Reinhardt's a classy looking guy who looks like he would fit in as a member of Spandau Ballet. For the other winner, eh, give me Robin just ahead of Sigurd I guess.

On the other side of the poll, I might give Petra a vote, especially in light of her awful-looking base version. I know I said I wanted Nino but not so sure now since I'm content a modern version will shortly exist. Second place for me would preferably be, hmm, can't split Robin, Ingrid and Lilina.

1 hour ago, Sunwoo said:

It makes me kinda sad, tbh. If people legitimately still like her after we learned about her character through the story that's ... fine, I guess. But this is a bit ridiculous.

Lif and Thrasir all over again.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Lif and Thrasir all over again.

3 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

It makes me kinda sad, tbh. If people legitimately still like her after we learned about her character through the story that's ... fine, I guess. But this is a bit ridiculous

I am going to against this a bit despite not actually voting Gullveig. What we do know about this book so far is very unique with how its formatted and that is largely due to her powers being time related.  I know people are getting interested in the story mode because of the unique formatting they are using for this book and to some extent that is due to Gullveig's uniqueness as a character. Plus from a design stand point I can see the golden serpents alone getting her alot of voters and to some extent all cyl votes are design votes to varying degrees. Lets be honest we all have long lists of characters we would love to see voted in but I am willing to bet that most are prioritizing voting their opinion best designed character within their own personal lists first.  While I love the dude lets be honest the main appeal of the Black Knight is his armor design and his overpowered state that he is in but much more so his armor design. So I would argue that even already existing heroes design alone can get you a ton of popularity and this isn't a new thing nor is a gender specific thing either.

Edited by vikingsfan92

20 minutes ago, vikingsfan92 said:

I am going to against this a bit despite not actually voting Gullveig. What we do know about this book so far is very unique with how its formatted and that is largely due to her powers being time related.  I know people are getting interested in the story mode because of the unique formatting they are using for this book and to some extent that is due to Gullveig's uniqueness as a character. Plus from a design stand point I can see the golden serpents alone getting her alot of voters and to some extent all cyl votes are design votes to varying degrees. Lets be honest we all have long lists of characters we would love to see voted in but I am willing to bet that most are prioritizing voting their opinion best designed character within their own personal lists first.  While I love the dude lets be honest the main appeal of the Black Knight is his armor design and his overpowered state that he is in but much more so his armor design. So I would argue that even already existing heroes design alone can get you a ton of popularity and this isn't a new thing nor is a gender specific thing either.

I, uh, completely disagree with all of this.

I don't understand the appeal of voting for a character solely on design alone, and the formatting on this book still says nothing about Gullveig about a character, what motivates her, etc. And while BK has a good armor design I cannot agree at all his armor design is the biggest appeal to his character than anything else about him.

Edited by Sunwoo

Gullveig is there because of design and nothing more. Don't get me wrong... It's a very good design, but winning because of that is kinda lame. Her entire personality so far is "I am strong, no one can defeat me".

Ferdinand getting into top 20 because of Billy Kametz makes sense. He got a boost in ranks compared to last year (62nd). Three Hopes's Ferdinand being his best version (imo) could also helped the character, but mostly because of the sad loss of the voice actor. Was I sad before, I wouldn't mind having a Brave/Ascended Ferdinand because I believe the character deserves it... But it will be sad to have a different voice on him, although it would happen someday.

Shezes being in top 20 don't surprise me. I like the character, so I am fine with it. My guess is Male ranking higher than Female, mostly because we just got Female Legendary Shez.

Leif was another character that was not even in top 20 last year (54th). Maybe the mediocre remix on his Legendary Alt helped with it?

Sharena being in Top 20 is a nice surprise, considering her rank last year (60th). Trying to make IS give her some love, I see... Just like Adult Tiki last year. Lets us hope that, in case she wins they just dont give her Alfonse's based clothes like how Adult Tiki got Young Tiki's clothes. Honestly, I don't think she has a chance, but I would love to be surprised.

1 hour ago, Diovani Bressan said:

But it will be sad to have a different voice on him, although it would happen someday.

This is the part that gets me, because you know that even if he does get a Brave alt, the fact that he has a new VA is what anyone's going to talk about which just... makes the whole thing feel very misguided. I get wanting to vote for Billy Kametz, absolutely, but what's the end result people are hoping for?

Anyway, even though the results are in alphabetical order, I'm still happy that Lyon is in the top 20 as he was last year! Hopefully this incentivizes anyone who was on the fence to vote for him!

...in the same way as I'm sure people would be convinced to vote for Gullveig, I imagine. It'll be interesting to see if she beats Freyja in the final results.

9 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Honestly, I'm never completely sure whether Reinhardt's staying power is for the memes only or if he has some fans who like him outside of meme reasons who are holding him up in top 20. Reinhardt also not getting a recent alt is far less egregious than Takumi and Leo not getting any though, because Takumi and Leo were legitimately popular in their own games that more people had access to and played, and their alts and base versions suck ass more than Reinhardt's.

Seriously, we need to get Ascended Takumi and Leo someday. They are more popular than Joshua, the only dude who got one, and are more popular than some of the women who got them.

8 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Besides the magic and the memes, Reinhardt's a classy looking guy who looks like he would fit in as a member of Spandau Ballet. For the other winner, eh, give me Robin just ahead of Sigurd I guess.

As someone who is a Reinhardt fan who hasn’t played Thracia 776, it’s a combination of Reinhardt being a fun unit to use (there are better mage cavalry units, but even nowadays he’s not terrible,) he’s hazubando bait (at least for me; I like the “tall, dark and handsome” archetype), I like his quotes and dialogue and he’s overall an interesting character.

Objectively, Takumi and Leo are prime candidates for Legendary or Ascended alts. I’d prefer Legendary, since I like the idea of Ascended forms being reserved for more minor characters. I’m surprised by IS’ reluctance to make more Fates Legendaries; the Fates games have the most potential candidates and most of them are very popular characters.

I voted for Shura again. I may switch to female Corrin if the Top 3 are announced and she’s in it, or Soren for the men. Them being in the Top 20 isn’t specific enough for me to veer away from my goal: getting Shura into the Top 200. If I had cast all 7 votes for him last year, he would’ve been in 199th and not 200th. Yes, it was that small of a gap between the two places.

8 minutes ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

As someone who is a Reinhardt fan who hasn’t played Thracia 776, it’s a combination of Reinhardt being a fun unit to use (there are better mage cavalry units, but even nowadays he’s not terrible,) he’s hazubando bait (at least for me; I like the “tall, dark and handsome” archetype), I like his quotes and dialogue and he’s overall an interesting character.

Yeah, I know next to nothing about him outside of FEH, but his being an outwardly older character definitely appeals because of how starkly it contrasts against your typical 16-18 year old Fire Emblem character (noting I have no actual idea how old he is canonically). A man, not a boy, y'know. Maybe it's because I'm on the older side of the fanbase in general, but I will always lean towards the older characters in any FE game. (Incidentally this makes it pretty hard for me to get into character when playing any JRPG, I just can't related to the average protagonist in the slightest)

I also respect that his popularity in FEH is largely "organic" - a self-made man so to speak. These days units feel very planned in that IS determines in advance whether they want a unit to be good or mediocre, and that that decision is based mostly on external sources of popularity. The likes of Reinhardt and Nino seem to be more good by accident rather than design, and everyone loves an underdog story.

That said, my copy is pretty neglected these days. Fully merged but with a 2018 kit of DB3, Lancebreaker and Goad Cavalry. 😞

To no one's surprise, maybe, 4th vote cast for Elena today!

6 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Gullveig is there because of design and nothing more. Don't get me wrong... It's a very good design, but winning because of that is kinda lame. Her entire personality so far is "I am strong, no one can defeat me".

I agree that her design is really interesting, and I think that people are largely just curious and wanting to know more before more has been revealed (kind of like how most people hate cliffhangers, despite them actually adding to story experience by quite a bit), while still having their hopes (such as her being a snake beast unit or something.) That said, I wouldn't say her character so far is "I am strong, no one can defeat me" so much as "hopeless inevitability" (which contrasts well to our goddess of hope freebie character.) Sure, "not being able to overcome" is a part of her theming, and we haven't had very much to clarify that aspect of her yet, but the way she interacts with people from what we have seen is more sad, detached, and just not being able to bring herself to care about much. It's not that she can't be defeated, it's that she already has been defeated, and she believes that no one can defeat what has defeated her: destiny.

Of course, all this is just based on what we've seen so far. More will become clear as we get further into the story.

That said, I'll repeat what I think as far as why people are voting for her: people are impatient and want answers about this mysterious character now. They also probably like her design.

Wow I guess IS really hated having to give adult Tiki a brave form, and show the midterms out of order to prevent rallying for characters they may not like 😆

Maybe I'll be giving Elincia or Takumi a boost since they have a shot to win.

27 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Yeah, I know next to nothing about him outside of FEH, but his being an outwardly older character definitely appeals because of how starkly it contrasts against your typical 16-18 year old Fire Emblem character (noting I have no actual idea how old he is canonically). A man, not a boy, y'know. Maybe it's because I'm on the older side of the fanbase in general, but I will always lean towards the older characters in any FE game. (Incidentally this makes it pretty hard for me to get into character when playing any JRPG, I just can't related to the average protagonist in the slightest)

I don't think Reinhardt is all that old. His feelings for Isthar might be intensely awkward if he's a full fledged adult since she's not.  I'm not sure the age difference between him and the 16ish Olwen is supposed to be very steep either. 

7 hours ago, vikingsfan92 said:

That's sort of contrary to the result though. Because the winning character will get a unique costume redesign for winning. So design should logically be the least important part of the characacter.

Though I saw someone say they want Gullveig specifically because they want a snake beast unit which...yeah, fair, that's not something we've hard before. Though by the same token we will surely get Gullveig eventually in some kind of base form.

15 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't think Reinhardt is all that old. His feelings for Isthar might be intensely awkward if he's a full fledged adult since she's not.  I'm not sure the age difference between him and the 16ish Olwen is supposed to be very steep either. 

For the record, if this still holds any validity:

Character ~登場人物の紹介~ (nintendo.co.jp)

Then Olwen is 18. Personally, Reinhardt gives me the vibe he's like mid-20's at the most. But probably closer to say 22-23.

1 hour ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

Objectively, Takumi and Leo are prime candidates for Legendary or Ascended alts. I’d prefer Legendary, since I like the idea of Ascended forms being reserved for more minor characters. I’m surprised by IS’ reluctance to make more Fates Legendaries; the Fates games have the most potential candidates and most of them are very popular characters.

I voted for Shura again. I may switch to female Corrin if the Top 3 are announced and she’s in it, or Soren for the men. Them being in the Top 20 isn’t specific enough for me to veer away from my goal: getting Shura into the Top 200. If I had cast all 7 votes for him last year, he would’ve been in 199th and not 200th. Yes, it was that small of a gap between the two places.

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

I also respect that his popularity in FEH is largely "organic" - a self-made man so to speak. These days units feel very planned in that IS determines in advance whether they want a unit to be good or mediocre, and that that decision is based mostly on external sources of popularity. The likes of Reinhardt and Nino seem to be more good by accident rather than design, and everyone loves an underdog story.

That said, my copy is pretty neglected these days. Fully merged but with a 2018 kit of DB3, Lancebreaker and Goad Cavalry. 😞

Why have so few people played Thracia? Is this or isn't this a Fire Emblem fansite? Give it a download guys! It's...not as bad as people say it is...while simultaneously being a lot worse than people say it is. Look, all I can say is that Thracia is a unique experience, and if you've been playing Fire Emblem for a while then you probably won't be disappointed...probably. It's a good game dangnabbit!

Edited by Jotari

14 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Why have so few people played Thracia? Is this or isn't this a Fire Emblem fansite? Give it a download guys! It's...not as bad as people say it is...while simultaneously being a lot worse than people say it is. Look, all I can say is that Thracia is a unique experience, and if you've been playing Fire Emblem for a while then you probably won't be disappointedprobably. It's a good game dangnabbit!

No slight intended towards the series, but I'm not really a Fire Emblem fan as such. 99% of my posts here are just FEH, with a few scattered comments about 3H when it was new. For me the mainline games are more of a stand-in for deeper tactical titles like XCOM and Jagged Alliance 2, but one that could be played on consoles, and also one that my sister would also be happy to play. They're one-and-done experiences played casually, and are not automatic buys.

Like many players I started with Awakening and we've done parallel playthroughs of each subsequent game, proceeding chapter-for-chapter and comparing notes the whole way through. So there are a lot of FE games I've never touched, though in saying that, we have gone back to play through FE7 and 8. Tried to start FE6 but decided by that point we'd had enough for the time being. I may yet play the old home console games in the future, but am in no rush to do so, especially given remakes may be coming this decade. I've waited 15-30 years for the titles from NES to Wii, what's another five years or so? 🙂

30 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Why have so few people played Thracia? Is this or isn't this a Fire Emblem fansite? Give it a download guys! It's...not as bad as people say it is...while simultaneously being a lot worse than people say it is. Look, all I can say is that Thracia is a unique experience, and if you've been playing Fire Emblem for a while then you probably won't be disappointed...probably. It's a good game dangnabbit!

I don't doubt it, but there are a lot of reasons why people may not have played it. Speaking for myself, I don't play roms - only games officially released and localized in English by their IP holder/publisher (in this case, IS/Nintendo.) I've watched someone on YouTube play FE4, though, which is how I know anything about that one. A more common reason (which also applies to me, and has been more and more as the years have gone by) is time restraints. There are other reasons I can think of, but those are the big ones, if that helps you gain any insight.