Choose Your Legends 7

Fire Emblem Fan

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Wow I guess IS really hated having to give adult Tiki a brave form, and show the midterms out of order to prevent rallying for characters they may not like

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if this is exactly why they switched to alphabetical order for rankings. I see potential for this to still backfire on them though, for example people seeing Gullveig there and assuming she has a chance. Or people who miss the "alphabetical order" and assuming she's actually in 5th place.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Sharena is in the top 20, I'll probably go for Sharena one last time for Day 5, and then give Itsuki and Azura one vote each. My low-key hopes for winners are Sharena and either Gullveig or Azura for the Gals and Itsuki and Felix, M!Robin, or Sigurd for the Guys. But since Chrom already won, I'm still fine with how this year turns out. 

9 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

I, uh, completely disagree with all of this.

I don't understand the appeal of voting for a character solely on design alone, and the formatting on this book still says nothing about Gullveig about a character, what motivates her, etc. And while BK has a good armor design I cannot agree at all his armor design is the biggest appeal to his character than anything else about him.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

That's sort of contrary to the result though. Because the winning character will get a unique costume redesign for winning. So design should logically be the least important part of the characacter.

Though I saw someone say they want Gullveig specifically because they want a snake beast unit which...yeah, fair, that's not something we've hard before. Though by the same token we will surely get Gullveig eventually in some kind of base form.

Let me explain my past point better with a little anecdote that has nothing to do with FEH. I recently watched a video where the video creator said Link from a Legend of Zelda was his favorite character. His reasoning was simple he like the Link in the old games is left handed and thus hates how motion controls are forcing Link to become a right handed character.  What draws people to characters can be the smallest of things and if you ask a hundred people why they like a character you are likely going to get varied answers.  Thus I think its reductive to think people liking a character simply because they look cool is somehow not a good enough reason to vote a character because even that likely has a personal touch to it.  Its ok to like a character simply because they look cool.

Also I am more so referring to with in each personal lists than anything. Like let say your personal list was narrowed down to (I am going to use past winners as example characters here but each list is going to vary greatly and be highly subjective/personal) Edelgard,  Marianne and Erika. How do you decide within these three characters you like alot which gets your one vote that you can cast each day?  I am willing to bet aesthetics have a role in it even if you are not consciously aware of it and even if it not the case for you individually that it holds true on a larger scale.

Also as an aside I am not to interested on Jotari's point about not many people playing thracia. The big thing for me is it needs an official release in the USA for me to play it.  But tbh I am not hugely personally intrested in the games for one reason and one reason alone I am not a huge fan of timeskips and they are probably the biggest timeskip fire emblem games.  Even the 5 year gap in three houses I am not a huge fan of and I know thracia is multiple generations so yeah not my thing.

Edited by vikingsfan92

https://feheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Choose_Your_Legends:_Round_6_(Event)

Looking at last year's results, Annette and Xander, the two who fell off the list, were each at #20 for their gender. Narrowly, for Annette, but still fitting.

The runner-ups were:

Female:

1. Bernadetta
  2. Corrin F
  3. Hilda
  4. Azura
  5. Robin F
  6. Dorothea
  7. Tharja
  8. FE13 Anna

Male:

1. Felix
  2. Soren
  3. Robin M
  4. Byleth M
  5. Yuri
  6. Sigurd
  7. Sylvain
  8. Alfonse

I'm guessing the winners will come from these lists, but not necessarily the highest spots. Bernie, Corrin, Felix, and Sigurd would be a fun list, if we get the Jugdral turnaround while others hold steady.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Why have so few people played Thracia? Is this or isn't this a Fire Emblem fansite? Give it a download guys! It's...not as bad as people say it is...while simultaneously being a lot worse than people say it is. Look, all I can say is that Thracia is a unique experience, and if you've been playing Fire Emblem for a while then you probably won't be disappointed...probably. It's a good game dangnabbit!

I’m moderately interested in playing Thracia 776 someday, not just because of Reinhardt, but I also really like Leif. In the much nearer future I am planning to set up a GameCube emulator so I can play Path of Radiance. Lately I’ve really missed that game.

It’s a matter of finding time, and emulators and ROMs are a pain to set up (and downloading them is iffy due to malware concerns and some sketchy websites.) About a decade ago, I set up a Dreamcast emulator so I could play several Sega games I was curious about. It was a lot of work, and configuring the controller was also a hassle. As irony would have it, those same games were released to Steam within a couple years and all my work was rendered moot.😑 

Voted again for Gulveig. This year just vibing with the cool snake lady. Some of my reasons are, the fact that snakes are my favourite animals and her whole consept of snake hair and the snake holding the weapon is too cool. Also as far as Feh deities go she is the only one that looks and acts the part, the massive snakes all over in the trailer and the background of the maps gave me grima vibes in that one cutscene from awakening, using time powers to their true potential, repeating the typical fate stuff that jRPG gods say and the mystery factor as well the the potential tragic backstory is too fun. While I completely see why people don't like OCs in these polls I fail to see how them scoring high is a bad thing, people voting a character for a shallow reason is completely valid, plus she doesn't seem to have much of a chance compared to strong campaigns people have for other chars like Sharena, Robins and maybe Bernadetta (not sure which others).

2 hours ago, vikingsfan92 said:

Also as an aside I am not to interested on Jotari's point about not many people playing thracia. The big thing for me is it needs an official release in the USA for me to play it.  But tbh I am not hugely personally intrested in the games for one reason and one reason alone I am not a huge fan of timeskips and they are probably the biggest timeskip fire emblem games.  Even the 5 year gap in three houses I am not a huge fan of and I know thracia is multiple generations so yeah not my thing.

You are getting Thracia confused with Genealogy. Genealogy is the game with multiple timeskips and change of cast. Thracia is a self contained story that begins and ends in the same month or a little more than a month at best.

7 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

You are getting Thracia confused with Genealogy. Genealogy is the game with multiple timeskips and change of cast. Thracia is a self contained story that begins and ends in the same month or a little more than a month at best.

Correction, there is a timeskip of several months between two chapters in the game. It's not unimportant, but you don't "feel" it ingame the way you do with Genealogy (new cast of heroes) or 3H (new portraits for the former students). It's no worse than the timeskip of like a year Awakening takes after the first story arc is over, and almost equally unnoticeable.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Correction, there is a timeskip of several months between two chapters in the game. It's not unimportant, but you don't "feel" it ingame the way you do with Genealogy (new cast of heroes) or 3H (new portraits for the former students). It's no worse than the timeskip of like a year Awakening takes after the first story arc is over, and almost equally unnoticeable.

I see, thank you for the correction.

19 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

Yeah I did get that confused and also thought there was more of a connection between the two games for some reason.

28 minutes ago, vikingsfan92 said:

Yeah I did get that confused and also thought there was more of a connection between the two games for some reason.

Chronologically, Thracia 776 begins after Genealogy's timeskip happens, but before Seliph begins his war in the second generation. Things later sync up, but almost as suddenly desync by due to Thracia doing something impossible in Genealogy's gameplay. Then, Thracia 776 comes to an end & the credits roll, and Leif continues on fighting in Seliph's army, a story which is then finished in Genealogy itself.

In short, a midquel.

Whatever you call it, Leif is a sweet lord who tries his hardest. I don't really have any strong emotions for FE lords, but Leif I do find rather endearing. If handicapped by his game being pre-Blazing, the entry where presentation changes made Fire Emblem more openly expressive.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

That's sort of contrary to the result though. Because the winning character will get a unique costume redesign for winning. So design should logically be the least important part of the characacter.

A character's costume is not the entirety of their design, and a character's costume is not the only thing a character gets for winning. Characters aren't just a floating change of clothes. (Heck, even invisible characters aren't just a floating change of clothes.)

8 hours ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

As someone who is a Reinhardt fan who hasn’t played Thracia 776, it’s a combination of Reinhardt being a fun unit to use (there are better mage cavalry units, but even nowadays he’s not terrible,) he’s hazubando bait (at least for me; I like the “tall, dark and handsome” archetype), I like his quotes and dialogue and he’s overall an interesting character.

I like Reinhardt because even though there isn't a lot explicitly and outwardly said about him, there's a lot that you can unpack about him just due to his situation. He's a Camus archetype who's in service to another Camus archetype. He is in direct service to someone who's not supposed to be terrible. He's also stated to have been Ishtar's guard since she was young (and knowing FE ages he's probably not older than his mid-20s) so he's probably been in service to Friege since he was young and was expected to not question the orders of people above him. Besides, even if one knows that their country is objectively wrong, turning against everything you know can be hard. Not everyone has the strength to do that.

Also, Thracia's narrative doesn't really cut him slack for this. He's simply a guy who has the outward veneer of being strong, noble, and righteous ... but he fights for the wrong side and doesn't have the strength to leave it. And the game doesn't excuse him for this. And I think that's an interesting way of handling a character.

Better than Fates, where it tries to pretend that Xander and the Nohrians are far more noble than they actually are.

8 hours ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

Objectively, Takumi and Leo are prime candidates for Legendary or Ascended alts. I’d prefer Legendary, since I like the idea of Ascended forms being reserved for more minor characters. I’m surprised by IS’ reluctance to make more Fates Legendaries; the Fates games have the most potential candidates and most of them are very popular characters.

I feel like Ascended is better for those two, tbh. Male Corrin is the only Fates legendary I think is absolutely necessary at this point. Takumi and Leo are important enough to the story, but they're a tier below Ryoma and Xander, and they're not canon love interests either.

EDIT:

5 hours ago, vikingsfan92 said:

Also I am more so referring to with in each personal lists than anything. Like let say your personal list was narrowed down to (I am going to use past winners as example characters here but each list is going to vary greatly and be highly subjective/personal) Edelgard,  Marianne and Erika. How do you decide within these three characters you like alot which gets your one vote that you can cast each day?  I am willing to bet aesthetics have a role in it even if you are not consciously aware of it and even if it not the case for you individually that it holds true on a larger scale.

No. This isn't right at all and I'd like for you to not assume how I decide who are my favorite characters. For your specific example, if I am choosing between Edelgard, Marianne, and Eirika then I will always pick Eirika. Not because I like her design the best, but because I despise how Edelgard is handled in the story (especially her own route) and Marianne reminds me of all the negatives of dealing with people who suffer from her level of self-esteem issues but without any of the positives.

For me, an amazing design that appeals to me will never, ever make up for terrible or nonexistent personality. I've stopped liking characters whose designs I like because as characters they were awful.

Edited by Sunwoo

51 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

No. This isn't right at all and I'd like for you to not assume how I decide who are my favorite characters. For your specific example, if I am choosing between Edelgard, Marianne, and Eirika then I will always pick Eirika. Not because I like her design the best, but because I despise how Edelgard is handled in the story (especially her own route) and Marianne reminds me of all the negatives of dealing with people who suffer from her level of self-esteem issues but without any of the positives.

For me, an amazing design that appeals to me will never, ever make up for terrible or nonexistent personality. I've stopped liking characters whose designs I like because as characters they were awful.

I think you are getting too hung up on the example characters ( who were only used because its impossible for me to know everyone favorite charcter list) when I made it clear that I listed and not seeing what I am saying.  Maybe it will make more sense if I explain it this way your number 1 or 2 favorite characters is clear but when it gets messy and hard to choose thats when simple design things comes in as their are no clear tiebreakers. Considering that peoples one or two may have already won that's where this comes into play alot.  I just want to stress that again this is with characters you have already established as you personally consider your favorites and not comparing a character you are indifferent about to one you like but putting one favorite versus another favorite. Like favorite character number 3 versus favorite character number 4 type thing.

Also my larger point was that there are infinite ways to decide who you like or dislike something  and none of them are wrong.  Liking someone for their looks is just one of the possible infinite reasons.  And trying to put limits on it is just a whole lot of effort for something that is subjective in the first place imo.

Edited by vikingsfan92

8 hours ago, Othin said:

Female:

1. Bernadetta
  2. Corrin F
  3. Hilda
  4. Azura
  5. Robin F
  6. Dorothea
  7. Tharja
  8. FE13 Anna

Male:

1. Felix
  2. Soren
  3. Robin M
  4. Byleth M
  5. Yuri
  6. Sigurd
  7. Sylvain
  8. Alfonse

If the winners do come from these characters, then I think the characters I'd prefer to win are Sigurd and Robin (because IS needs to be forced to give him some kind of attention) on the male's side, and...I don't really care on the female's side. I don't like Corrin, or Tharja, I lean more on the negative side on FE13 Anna, I think Robin, Azura, Bernadetta and Hilda are all fine but they definitely aren't even close to favorites. I like Dorothea a lot, but do I want yet another Three Houses winner? Meh.

Today I voted for Legault in CYL and decided I would check out what people had to say about him. I quickly learned that Legault is also the name of a Canadian politician, and everyone was using #SupportingLegault as a way to call out the politician for his misdeeds, but about 3 minutes of looking at it I was wondering what was so bad about my thief Legault that people would call him so many different things. Today I learn I guess.

If you want to look at it yourself: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SupportingLegault

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I gave Lekain a vote for being a great villain who really needs to get into Heroes already. Also considering two years ago only 6 people voted for him(and two of those were mine) he's a real underdog. 

I'll give Lekain a vote if you give one to my main Bloom.

On 1/9/2023 at 6:01 PM, vikingsfan92 said:

I think you are getting too hung up on the example characters ( who were only used because its impossible for me to know everyone favorite charcter list) when I made it clear that I listed and not seeing what I am saying.  Maybe it will make more sense if I explain it this way your number 1 or 2 favorite characters is clear but when it gets messy and hard to choose thats when simple design things comes in as their are no clear tiebreakers. Considering that peoples one or two may have already won that's where this comes into play alot.  I just want to stress that again this is with characters you have already established as you personally consider your favorites and not comparing a character you are indifferent about to one you like but putting one favorite versus another favorite. Like favorite character number 3 versus favorite character number 4 type thing.

Also my larger point was that there are infinite ways to decide who you like or dislike something  and none of them are wrong.  Liking someone for their looks is just one of the possible infinite reasons.  And trying to put limits on it is just a whole lot of effort for something that is subjective in the first place imo.

One could say that people that are voting for Mia (and Mia is generally more popular) instead of Elincia are doing so for the "wrong reasons", because compared with Elincia she is more "shallow", but it's okay to diss the Mia fans?

3 minutes ago, Troykv said:

One could say that people that are voting for Mia (and Mia is generally more popular) instead of Elincia are doing so for the "wrong reasons", because compared with Elincia she is more "shallow", but it's okay to diss the Mia fans?

I am not saying anything about dissing.  The top part is about individuals comparing characters internally (aka no one else involved) and the bottom I saying that reasons people like something are vast and personal and that no one answer is correct.  I think the petty character bashing is a waste of time and not a fan of it being shared in a public space in general no matter what character it is. I think negative character opinions in general are better off kept personal and not shared other than stuff like "its not my cup of tea".

1 minute ago, vikingsfan92 said:

I am not saying anything about dissing.  The top part is about individuals comparing characters internally (aka no one else involved) and the bottom I saying that reasons people like something are vast and personal and that no one answer is correct.  I think the petty character bashing is a waste of time and not a fan of it being shared in a public space in general no matter what character it is. I think negative character opinions in general are better off kept personal and not shared other than stuff like "its not my cup of tea".

Oh yeah, you aren't not talking about dissing, is just that your post about the reason why someone could like a character made remember something that I saw time ago comparing two characters popularity wise and decided to put an example considering the CYL results.