Choose Your Legends 7

Fire Emblem Fan

11 minutes ago, vikingsfan92 said:
  Hide contents

Personally I think we won't see another Gullveig winner again if leaks are real unless they do an insanely cool new oc and even if it happens it won't be for a long time. For starters next year and the year after are practically a lock to not have heroes winners with engage and a heroes oc winning this year. Also I stand by points I made earlier that Gullveig is probably the most interesting heroes oc we had for a while. Time manipulation plus her golden serpents are really unique and I think it will take alot to get people as excited for future heroes villains.  While I do think some of the other older villains deserve more respect I don't think there has be an out of the gate reaction to an heroes character quiet like hers in the fact she has pulled people back into being interested in the feh story again. Heck her gimmick alone has impacted this book more than any other simply in the fact we don't know what chapter is next which is probably ending after this current arc unless she stays around in some shape or form.  Lastly I think the fact her design includes things outside of just clothing is the last thing that pushed for her win. It will be interesting what they do with her snakes in her brave alt if its true that she won.

She'll also be the first time a win has gone to an OC introduced in the current book, which means "see what happens if an OC from the current book wins" will become a lot less novel and exciting afterward. So regardless of how interesting any other new OCs are, I don't think they'll have the same memetic potential Gullveig harnessed.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Reveal hidden contents

I get the sentiment, but is not THAT bad, I mean if you're gonna compare it to Veronica I'd say that it was around the same level (comparing to everything that we've seen of Veronica, that year was too just the very beggining for her since she was supposed to be around for the whole story, people knew it but everyone wanted to see Veronica be more fleshed out fast, just like how Gullveig is supposed to be around for the whole book so this is the beggining for her too, in a year we'll already know everything that there is to know about her), I know that this will probably not be enough for you to feel less bad about it but I still think that if you give it some thought, it's less bullshitty than it sounds. Gatekeeper was worse anyway and i think that nothing will top that. 

Also, I feel less bad about the likes of Azura, Elincia, Sigurd, Caeda (and would have about Soren too if he hadn't won) since some of them still have their legendaries to come, and lots of them will probably even get an ascendant anyway too, while some of them may even have both (I mean, look at Tiki). Since it's a popularity contest I think that it's hard to meassure who is more deserving of the alt (with the exception of Gatekeeper since he just won for memes), if you asked me I'd say that people still only vote that much for Bernadetta and Dorothea or Felix for the hype (that will likely fade with engage or as soon as we get another FE game) and that these 3 are not as "deserving" as Soren, Azura, Elincia, Sigurd, Robin or Caeda, but in the end it's a popularity contest and hype will always play a big factor. At least the voting season dropped before Engage othrwise it'd have been even more hype driven.

I'm not trying to convince you that your feelings are wrong or whatever, I get them, really, I'm just saying that as much that you or we don't like it, it's not really "dumb" (I mean, if Gullveig got the marjority of the votes it was certainly because more people who play the game wanted to see her than to see Dorothea or Bernadetta), people have different motives to vote for a character and it doesn't have to be just who they like more or who they think that deserves a brave alt the most or whatever, sometimes people do it because of the hype and because of that feeling "what if this character wins? Will they really put them in the game?? How will something like this be??"(like Gatekeeper, like... it's kinda bullshitty but not hard to understand once you think about it) and I think that Gullveig had both of these going on for her, just like Veronica did at the time and just like Plumeria had when she got to be on 6th place on her debut year. People voted for her partially because they wanna see how IS will pull a brave for a character like her, will they spoil the story or they'll find a way? If the book had ended she wouldn't have won, but if you look at the past (with OCs ranking hight like that) it seems like lots of people always wanted to see the result of it, if an OC won before the book/their story ended I mean, and there have been lots of tries to do this. Now we'll get the answer, will they make her in tthe future like Veronica or something else?

No, it 

is THAT bad, it's one of the stupidest things that could happen in a CYL. Gatekeeper was better. Veronica was better, and any Heroes OC pre-current book would be better. And if CYL is a popularity contest (I personally don't think it truly has been since CYL 2 or 3), then yes, Azura, Elincia, Caeda, Bernadetta, Dorothea, Tharja, etc. are all objectively more deserving. I will never think otherwise, I will never be convinced otherwise, I will never look at this in any sort of positive light, if it turns out to be true.

Well, if those leaks are true ...

I think the only one I'm not salty about is m!Robin, who really needed something recent for himself, as himself. Soren's ... okay, but I think I really would have preferred Felix at this point. It's ridiculous how much IS refuses to put him in the damn game. Soren's coming off from a recent alt (which - yes - was a free unit with no prf, but still), and amongst himself, Felix, and m!Byleth was arguably the best off in terms of alts.

Female Corrin is ... ugh. I still maintain that I don't like either Corrin very much, but I've grown to despise the female one over the combination of Nohr bias and her representing solely Nohr, her repeatedly getting a pass even though Corrins are the same shitty character while m!Corrin is rightfully criticized for all the Corrin-related flaws, her being in Engage AND the first Warriors, and seriously ... she already has enough fuckin' alts.

Also, I don't necessarily have a problem with an OC winning ... I have a problem with an OC who has literally no character that we know absolutely nothing about yet winning. If Gullveig won next year, I might not have been super happy about it, but it's whatever. Her winning when we've only seen her once in the story, and know nothing about anything that makes her tick, just makes me roll my eyes.

Either way, if this is real, I'll get over it. Just redeem my free m!Robin and skip the banner, I guess.

Here's the full Top 20 for both the Men's Division and the Women's Division. Bernadetta just barely, barely lost, ouch. Four CYLs and she just missed it. So can we say she's actually not that popular, since that's what everyone said about Marth purely, solely, and exclusively because it took him his 5th CYL to win?

For those who saw the Rising Hero winners, Monica got 63rd and Desaix got 80th. I imagine we're probably going to get Desaix as the CYL GHB (on account of the fact that Monica is already in the game).

39 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Well, I've already had my salt.

If it makes you feel a bit better, Tormod managed to sneak into the top 100 (94th).

I was wondering if maybe the Rising Hero category might be them trying to bring back Farfetched/Redux banners, but with the slight twist of it being...well, Rising. Having the four characters who've increased the most number of placements since last CYL not yet in the game as a banner. But Desaix being the CYL GHB makes more sense.

Well, I'm not surprise Gullveig one the girls. But I am disappointed. Really shows how little Fire Emblem fans actually care about writing. Will Alphonse and Sharena still be dealing with the actual Gullveig when Brave Gullveig is made available? I think they will.

Perusing the list a bit, I see Athos almost made it into the top 100. I'm pretty  surprised about that. 

Alder from Radiant Dawn is the least popular character with 1 vote. Though judging by the number of candidates, only 400 when the actual poll has closer to a thousand characters, there must be a tonne of characters that got no votes at all that are excluded. Just glancing at last year's poll, there were 500 results. I wonder what that says about the trend. Too lazy to look up total votes now, but is CYL getting less popular? Or are votes just getting more concentrated with each passing year?

Reinhardt is ranked 40 overall. Which probably suggests that he still has some modicum of staying power in the polls, even if it's slowly decreasing. He might have a shot at seriously taking top 2 if we get a Thracia remake and it writes him as a compelling character ... but those are two big ifs.

Tormod is ranked 94, and inside the top 100. He's also the third ranking Tellius character not in the game yet. I wish I could be more excited about that, but I also wonder if rankings even matter at this point. Lucia, Edward, and Tormod are not characters who thematically mesh together ... which actually might not matter but sometimes Heroes seems to care about stuff like that. Also, all three of them are red so putting them all on a banner at the same time would just make it very miserable for everyone involved. Again, wish I could get excited, but I'm not too optimistic he's making it this year ...

Even before the leak, I was expecting Gullveig to make top 2 since she had a lot more vocal support than any other Heroes character since Veronica, but I definitely wasn't expecting her to take first. Fancy that.

Sonia somehow made it to 41st somehow, somehow.

Also six characters from TMS made it into the top 100.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Too lazy to look up total votes now, but is CYL getting less popular? Or are votes just getting more concentrated with each passing year?

I did notice the number of votes seemed less than in previous years, but I don't think CYL is getting less popular. It's probably just more concentrated, because now there aren't a whole lot of clear-cut winners. There's a couple, yeah, but not nearly as many as there used to be. When Engage is added to the polls next year, we'll probably see more of what we're used to. I'd bet Alear, Diamant, Ivy, and Yunaka are prime candidates.

10 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

If it makes you feel a bit better, Tormod managed to sneak into the top 100 (94th).

Yeah, I do feel pretty happy about that, but scoring well doesn't mean much if it doesn't translate to his getting into the game.

EDIT: I hate the new formatting for this forum. Accidentally quoted myself instead of editing.

Edited by Sunwoo

2 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I did notice the number of votes seemed less than in previous years, but I don't think CYL is getting less popular. It's probably just more concentrated, because now there aren't a whole lot of clear-cut winners. There's a couple, yeah, but not nearly as many as there used to be. When Engage is added to the polls next year, we'll probably see more of what we're used to. I'd bet Alear, Diamant, Ivy, and Yunaka are prime candidates.

I need to get the spreadsheet out one of these days and convert all of this to data. I doubt anyone else would care, but I know I'd find the results fascinating.

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well, I'm not surprise Gullveig one the girls. But I am disappointed. Really shows how little Fire Emblem fans actually care about writing. Will Alphonse and Sharena still be dealing with the actual Gullveig when Brave Gullveig is made available? I think they will.

Perusing the list a bit, I see Athos almost made it into the top 100. I'm pretty  surprised about that. 

Alder from Radiant Dawn is the least popular character with 1 vote. Though judging by the number of candidates, only 400 when the actual poll has closer to a thousand characters, there must be a tonne of characters that got no votes at all that are excluded. Just glancing at last year's poll, there were 500 results. I wonder what that says about the trend. Too lazy to look up total votes now, but is CYL getting less popular? Or are votes just getting more concentrated with each passing year?

Athos was 99th place last year, so he's actually gone slightly down.

The ranking numbers aren't very useful since because of how they handle ties. If two characters tie for 400th rank, they'll both be listed as 400 and the next will be listed as 401 even though there are more than 400 characters ahead of rank 401, and probably more than 399 characters ahead of rank 400. So I'm not sure how many characters actually got votes, but it's a lot more than the 429 ranks.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Really shows how little Fire Emblem fans actually care about writing.

"Heroes players" and "Fire Emblem fans" are not the same thing and neither should be assumed to be representative of the other.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The list gives the same rank to characters with the same number of votes without subsequently skipping a rank to compensate, so even though the lowest rank is 429th, there are a lot more than 429 characters in the list.

3 minutes ago, Othin said:

Athos was 99th place last year, so he's actually gone slightly down.

The ranking numbers aren't very useful since because of how they handle ties. If two characters tie for 400th rank, they'll both be listed as 400 and the next will be listed as 401 even though there are more than 400 characters ahead of rank 401, and probably more than 399 characters ahead of rank 400. So I'm not sure how many characters actually got votes, but it's a lot more than the 429 ranks.

Ah, I see. That's interesting. Yeah, I definitely need to put all of this information on spread sheets. But not now. Now I play Engage.

56 minutes ago, Florete said:

Corrin beat Bernadetta by 117 votes. Wow.

Thank God.

THANK GOD! 

45 minutes ago, Othin said:

In regard to this information,If the winner and 2nd place happened to tie, how'd that play out, now I wonder?

Also, I was looking it up and I got to the conclusion that Mark is not ellegible to CYL (since there's no information about this and on his page on FE wiki it doesn't say the votes that he got on past years), which is really sad, because if he was I'd seriously vote for him next year, I genuinely have a lot of interest for him because of some obscure lines of dialogue that seem to give us some pretty suspicious hints about his backstory... That we'll never have a clue about if he doesn't get into Heroes).